home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Seriously Compressing the Dumbshit

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Seriously Compressing the Dumbshit

Postby bishopdante on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:24 am

Facundo wrote:
Hitler in color = Fail

There was colour film in the '40s, and I have personally handled a colour transparency of the fuhrer himself on holiday at some castle with some bloody big dogs. My job was to scan it and do colour restoration.

I found that item so rare spooky to work with in high res that I put the original in a secure / hidden place... and subsequently could not find it. Gone!

The object had belonged to Albert Speer IIRC, and was part of a large archive. Have only lost a couple of originals, fewer than five items gone missing... and that's one of them. I suspect somebody stole it. Good riddance. I don't know how much money that thing was worth, and would not want to imagine the auction and who the high bidder might be.

I tell you, looking into those eyes in original 60mm transparency detail spooked the crap out of me. Late 1940s psycho meth head thousand mile stare and serious cadaver death-warmed-up bags under the eyes. Brrr.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... aeger.html

Hugo Jaeger, yes, that was the photographer.
Last edited by bishopdante on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell
bishopdante
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Me Again on Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:32 am

Facundo wrote:Jacques Tati in Color = Fail

^^^ Some straight-up bullshit this stoned guy's peddling, unless he's making a shrewd joke about the unearthed color version of Jour de Fete that was shot simultaneously with the OG b&w one.

To belabor the point... Mon Oncle is, like, the 2nd or 3rd best film he made. A rare case of the winner of Best Foreign Film deserving it.

In terms of visual aplomb and formal composition, Playtime looks better than literally every other color movie you could compare it to. If I were selling flatscreen TVs I'd just put the Criterion blu-ray of Playtime on and be done with it. It looks cooler than anything shot by Kubrick, Hitchcock, or Scorsese. It also boasts an original concept and very refined humor for a commercial release (likely the reason it flopped at the box office and marked the beginning of the end for him).

With Trafic, yes, then we start seeing the first real diminishing returns in Tati's oeuvre, and unlike Playtime it doesn't always at least engender curiosity where the humor seems diffuse. But Trafic still looks swell and is more entertaining than most movies. I'd give it about a 6.8.

Parade is... merely okay, not on par with his well known, more narrative-based work. Am still glad he made it.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
evil witch
evil witch

Postby kokorodoko on Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:17 pm

Image Image Image Image Image
Boombats wrote:I keep thinking of smarter shit to say about him [Jordan Peterson], but my gut reaction is "this nigga gay"
kokorodoko
airliner
airliner

Postby the finger genius on Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:06 am

Boombats wrote:Meal Young and Gravy Horse

Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death
the finger genius
freelance sperm donor
freelance sperm donor

Postby kokorodoko on Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:38 am

the finger genius wrote:http://thedollop.libsyn.com/dollop-vii-purity-balls

I'm trying to figure out the meaning of this picture. Is that his daughter? Or is that supposed to be "the ball"? Why then is he like 40?
Boombats wrote:I keep thinking of smarter shit to say about him [Jordan Peterson], but my gut reaction is "this nigga gay"
kokorodoko
airliner
airliner

Postby noise&light on Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:21 pm

kokorodoko wrote:
the finger genius wrote:http://thedollop.libsyn.com/dollop-vii-purity-balls

I'm trying to figure out the meaning of this picture. Is that his daughter? Or is that supposed to be "the ball"? Why then is he like 40?

The ball is the romantic formal dance that you go to with your dad. So, it's definitely his daughter.

They still don't have to kiss like that. That's really upsetting.
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
noise&light
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby kokorodoko on Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:29 pm

Uhm yeah that's kinda fucked up.
kokorodoko
airliner
airliner

Postby Podge9 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:11 am

Podge9
quetzalcoatl
quetzalcoatl

Postby travis k on Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:30 pm

^ surname docking
travis k