Re: Electrical Guitar Company

Postby weezy on Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:19 pm

12" radius confirmed.....do want, don't need fuuuuuu
weezy
baboon
baboon

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:26 am

Redline wrote:I love me a flatter fretboard...And I like the TB basses for their Rickenbackery sound.

I’ve always wondered if they sounded similar to Rics because of where the pickups sit.

The two best bass sounds I’ve ever heard in my life were Bob Weston’s and the guy from Bear Claw who plays “regular” bass. I think they were both Travis Beans, though I’m not sure if the BC dude had an EGC.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Riff Magnum on Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:27 pm

weezy wrote:12" radius confirmed.....do want, don't need fuuuuuu

Looks like someone bought it. Unless it was you?!!
There was that bass and an EGC baritone that sold in a couple hours on reverb.
Now I see theres a brand new Series 5 in "camo" green on reverb.
Riff Magnum
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby weezy on Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:44 pm

Riff Magnum wrote:
Looks like someone bought it. Unless it was you?!!

Nope, though that would have been the ultimate TB2000 to own in my opinion. I gotta cool it with gear purchases and focus more on getting my band off life support or finding another project, and you know, actually use some of this stuff.
weezy
baboon
baboon

Postby Tommy on Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:54 pm

Riff Magnum wrote:Now I see theres a brand new Series 5 in "camo" green on reverb.

Glad you put that in quotes, because I'd definitely call that chartreuse. I love jazzmasters, aluminum guitars, and colorful guitars (especially greens) but I have no love for this particular color. I could probably get used to it though.
Tommy
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby elisha wiesner on Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:20 pm

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:
Redline wrote:I love me a flatter fretboard...And I like the TB basses for their Rickenbackery sound.

I’ve always wondered if they sounded similar to Rics because of where the pickups sit.

The two best bass sounds I’ve ever heard in my life were Bob Weston’s and the guy from Bear Claw who plays “regular” bass. I think they were both Travis Beans, though I’m not sure if the BC dude had an EGC.

Obviously the instrument plays a big part but Bob still sounds like Bob on his Ric.

elisha wiesner
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Tommy on Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:18 pm

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:The two best bass sounds I’ve ever heard in my life were Bob Weston’s and the guy from Bear Claw who plays “regular” bass. I think they were both Travis Beans, though I’m not sure if the BC dude had an EGC.

Bearclaw Rob has a TB2000-shaped EGC.
Tommy

Postby jtyler on Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:21 pm

llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:

The scale length of the TB2000 might contribute to this similarity as well. It's 33.25" if I recall correctly, which is the same as that of a Ric 4001/4003. Both are more than capable of that throaty, aggressive bass tone when used w/ the right amp/strings/pick attack.
jtyler
pod
pod

Postby tbone on Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:31 am

Tommy wrote:
llllllllllllllllllllllll wrote:The two best bass sounds I’ve ever heard in my life were Bob Weston’s and the guy from Bear Claw who plays “regular” bass. I think they were both Travis Beans, though I’m not sure if the BC dude had an EGC.

Bearclaw Rob has a TB2000-shaped EGC.

Also, years ago before he bought that, he played an actual TB2000.
I play guitar in Mayor For Life and Jackhammer Hearts
tbone
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Riff Magnum on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:19 am

Anyone noticed that the angle where the headstock meets the neck is really really flat? I don't have my guitar at home or i'd take a pic, but maybe it's just like this on the older models. Mine is serial #69 so it might be something that's been "fixed" with newer models.
My guitar tech pointed it out to me saying i'd have way more string tension and thus more sustain if that angle at the nut was steeper. When I restrung it recently I tried to wrap the string 3 or 4 times around the tuning post so it would push the string to the bottom and create a better angle. It worked on the thicker strings, but my G, B, and high E strings are almost completely flat, just barely "floating" in the nut.
They're not popping out of the nut and my sustain seems fine, but now that I notice it it's just kinda bugging me and obviously I'm always wanting to optimize and fine tune the gear I already have. I thought about trying one of those String Butler things, but I'm skeptical about it as a whole and i'm not even sure it'll help the angle break anyways. Any ideas?
Riff Magnum

Postby sick.bird on Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:39 am

Riff Magnum wrote:...of those String Butler things, but I'm skeptical about it as a whole and i'm not even sure it'll help the angle break anyways. Any ideas?

String Butler is ugly.

i would try replacement tuners with shorter posts.
sick.bird
cats
cats

Postby Riff Magnum on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:05 am

Yeah, ugly as fuck for sure.

I think New beans and EGC's are using Sperzel locking tuners, or maybe Schaller, I dunno for sure. Is there an easy way to know when looking at tuners which ones will be shorter? I have no idea what height mine are. I could always take it to my guitar tech i guess. Wanna be sure the holes are the right diameter too.
Riff Magnum

Postby sick.bird on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:53 am

Riff Magnum wrote:Yeah, ugly as fuck for sure.

I think New beans and EGC's are using Sperzel locking tuners, or maybe Schaller, I dunno for sure. Is there an easy way to know when looking at tuners which ones will be shorter? I have no idea what height mine are. I could always take it to my guitar tech i guess. Wanna be sure the holes are the right diameter too.

can you post a pic? no name on the back plate of the tuners? maybe kevin can let you know what he used at this time?

guitar tech should be able to tell you what you need.
sick.bird
cats
cats

Postby TomWanderer on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:58 am

I had the same thing happen with my first EGC. The G was buzzing a bit and choking out when played open. Honestly it was pretty negligible, but I had (A) never bought a new guitar and (B) never paid that much for anything (this was during the custom days...I supplied the lucite body and Kevin charged $900!) so I sent it back. he said the nut might have settled weird during shipping. I feel kinda bad for sending it back now, he leveled the frets again and checked the nut and said it was fine.

then I took it to my guy in Milwaukee, he made a pass at the nut with a file and said that he didn't want to take it any lower since there was hardly any angle to begin with. He said he's seen 10k Gibsons leave the factory with way worse issues, so I just thought "oh well".

I have two EGCs, both necks are coated so the s/n is inside and I can never remember it...the first one is mid 100s and the second is mid 200s I think. The 200s one never had that issue, but honestly I play the first one more often and I don't even notice it now.

And the tuners on mine are Grovers, fwiw.
TomWanderer
sweeny todd
sweeny todd

Postby Riff Magnum on Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:14 am

Guitar is at the rehearsal studio.
My original nut was bad too. The high strings would choke and buzz but even though I'm still an idiot when it comes to guitars, I knew nothing back then and just played with it like for years, till I took it to my tech because the toggle switch was cutting in and out. He put on a new brass nut and problem solved. Although I like the fact that he sets my guitars up with super low action, I could probably stand to have him make another nut. Sacrifice super low action for a little taller nut and a steeper angle. Had it 10 years now, hell the frets might need to be dressed at this point too.
I see that most of the new beans have what look to be bone nuts. Curios, since the old ones are brass and EGC's are steel right?
Riff Magnum

Postby sick.bird on Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:44 am

Riff Magnum wrote:Guitar is at the rehearsal studio.
My original nut was bad too. The high strings would choke and buzz but even though I'm still an idiot when it comes to guitars, I knew nothing back then and just played with it like for years, till I took it to my tech because the toggle switch was cutting in and out. He put on a new brass nut and problem solved. Although I like the fact that he sets my guitars up with super low action, I could probably stand to have him make another nut. Sacrifice super low action for a little taller nut and a steeper angle. Had it 10 years now, hell the frets might need to be dressed at this point too.
I see that most of the new beans have what look to be bone nuts. Curios, since the old ones are brass and EGC's are steel right?

if the nut and action is good i would leave it and go for different tuners. most tuner companies have the same tuners models with a variety of post lenghts, so replacement shouldn't be a problem.

new TBs have brass nuts and EGCs aluminum nuts afaik.
sick.bird
cats
cats

Postby Riff Magnum on Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:52 am

Guess I'll take it to my guitar tech once my current strings are dead

I ask about the nuts cuz I've been eying this fucker forever:
https://reverb.com/item/211625-travis-b ... 2014-black
Riff Magnum

Postby sick.bird on Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:57 am

that is obviously not brass...i think only kevin can answer the question if he used bone or plastic for the beans at some point.
sick.bird
cats
cats

Postby biscuitdough on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:26 pm

Riff Magnum wrote:Any EGC owners ever used a normal scale guitar for drop tunings? Like instead of buying a baritone, just getting a new nut cut and stringing it up with baritone strings. I Feel like it would do the job.

I do this with non-EGC standard scale guitars, with the lowest 6 strings of a 7 string set, or a baritone set. The GHS 7-string set I'm using now comes out 13-60 (free .010 for use on my standard guitars) and it's stable in B on Les Paul copies and a Tele. If you want fatter, the Ernie Ball baritone set is like 13-74, and there's a 14-70 GHS baritone set if you like stiff plain strings.
biscuitdough

Postby Riff Magnum on Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:03 pm

biscuitdough wrote:
Riff Magnum wrote:Any EGC owners ever used a normal scale guitar for drop tunings? Like instead of buying a baritone, just getting a new nut cut and stringing it up with baritone strings. I Feel like it would do the job.

I do this with non-EGC standard scale guitars, with the lowest 6 strings of a 7 string set, or a baritone set. The GHS 7-string set I'm using now comes out 13-60 (free .010 for use on my standard guitars) and it's stable in B on Les Paul copies and a Tele. If you want fatter, the Ernie Ball baritone set is like 13-74, and there's a 14-70 GHS baritone set if you like stiff plain strings.

Interesting. I've got a really nice Tele copy that i'm trying to sell. If I can't move it for a decent price I think i'll give that a try.
Riff Magnum

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion