home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Electrical Guitar Company

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Electrical Guitar Company

Postby biscuitdough on Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:02 pm

FMRM, in my experience the only aggravation you'll run into is having to have the slots in the nut widened.
biscuitdough
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby Riff Magnum on Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:46 pm

biscuitdough wrote:FMRM, in my experience the only aggravation you'll run into is having to have the slots in the nut widened.

Seriously? Man, I gotta try it then. I just assumed it would be some flabby ass garbage tone.
You don't even adjust the truss rod or anything?
Riff Magnum
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby biscuitdough on Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:30 pm

Riff Magnum wrote:
biscuitdough wrote:FMRM, in my experience the only aggravation you'll run into is having to have the slots in the nut widened.

Seriously? Man, I gotta try it then. I just assumed it would be some flabby ass garbage tone.

Oh, you need a setup most likely. I just meant the only out of the ordinary thing is the nut adjustment.
biscuitdough

Postby numberthirty on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:32 pm

Riff Magnum wrote:
biscuitdough wrote:
Riff Magnum wrote:Any EGC owners ever used a normal scale guitar for drop tunings? Like instead of buying a baritone, just getting a new nut cut and stringing it up with baritone strings. I Feel like it would do the job.

I do this with non-EGC standard scale guitars, with the lowest 6 strings of a 7 string set, or a baritone set. The GHS 7-string set I'm using now comes out 13-60 (free .010 for use on my standard guitars) and it's stable in B on Les Paul copies and a Tele. If you want fatter, the Ernie Ball baritone set is like 13-74, and there's a 14-70 GHS baritone set if you like stiff plain strings.

Interesting. I've got a really nice Tele copy that i'm trying to sell. If I can't move it for a decent price I think i'll give that a try.

One "From The "Tech Room" opinion...

The Tele(assuming it's a standard pickup configuration) would leave you with a few options for pickup swaps that might sound good with the tunings you are discussing.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby numberthirty on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:35 pm

biscuitdough wrote:
Riff Magnum wrote:

Oh, you need a setup most likely. I just meant the only out of the ordinary thing is the nut adjustment.

Agreed.
numberthirty

Postby Riff Magnum on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:01 am

numberthirty wrote:
Riff Magnum wrote:
biscuitdough wrote:
Riff Magnum wrote:Any EGC owners ever used a normal scale guitar for drop tunings? Like instead of buying a baritone, just getting a new nut cut and stringing it up with baritone strings. I Feel like it would do the job.

I do this with non-EGC standard scale guitars, with the lowest 6 strings of a 7 string set, or a baritone set. The GHS 7-string set I'm using now comes out 13-60 (free .010 for use on my standard guitars) and it's stable in B on Les Paul copies and a Tele. If you want fatter, the Ernie Ball baritone set is like 13-74, and there's a 14-70 GHS baritone set if you like stiff plain strings.

Interesting. I've got a really nice Tele copy that i'm trying to sell. If I can't move it for a decent price I think i'll give that a try.

One "From The "Tech Room" opinion...

The Tele(assuming it's a standard pickup configuration) would leave you with a few options for pickup swaps that might sound good with the tunings you are discussing.

Yeah it's a standard pickup configuration. What kind of replacements are you talking about?
I replaces my lawsuit J-Bass p/u's with some Fralins and holy shit that bass is totally legit now.

I've actually got a really nice Hagstrom Viking Baritone with EGC P-90s and all new wiring, pots, jacks, etc., but I don't really play enough Bari stuff to justify having it and have thought about trying to sell it on here or Reverb. The tele is just collecting dust and it's probably a $400 guitar so that might suit my needs better till I write more detuned stuff. Fuck if I know. I change my mind weekly
Riff Magnum

Postby offal on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:45 am

biscuitdough wrote:
Riff Magnum wrote:

In related news, our guitar player in Laurium plays the G&L versions of the Tele (the ASAT) and we tune down to drop-B, for what it's worth. His guitars are also stock -- just uses thicker strings with a proper set-up. Both of his ASATs have single coils (one Tele style, one P-90 style). Plenty of clarity with no flabby lows.
offal
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby numberthirty on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:48 pm

Riff Magnum wrote:Yeah it's a standard pickup configuration. What kind of replacements are you talking about? I replaces my lawsuit J-Bass p/u's with some Fralins and holy shit that bass is totally legit now.

I didn't have anything in particular in mind.

Just noting what you finished up with about the difference a set that isn't stock can make.

In addition to that, you wouldn't just be stuck with "Better Version Of Stock" anymore. There are all sorts of choices that you can replace the standard Tele bridge and neck out there now. Most with no headaches. Opens up the possibilities for a modest Tele winding up being more like whatever you might be thinking about.
numberthirty

Postby skoz on Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:53 pm

Hey can’t you dudes move this convo to a more appropriate thread?
skoz
grand
grand

Postby numberthirty on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:18 pm

skoz wrote:Hey can’t you dudes move this convo to a more appropriate thread?

Sorry, buddy.

Interested parties, thought maybe we could continue this after this related post on the last page of this thread...

http://www.electricalaudio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=43657&start=1860
numberthirty

Postby Gaevid_Deafen on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:29 am

tmidgett wrote:
Riff Magnum wrote:Kinda what I thought. I tune to B. I have a Hagstrom Viking baritone with EGC p-90s. It sounds great, but I guess I'm just used to that EGC neck now. Thought about selling the Viking to fund another EGC. Wish he'd start making more Beans and maybe a Bari-Bean!!!

Kevin told me at one point he wanted to make a TB1000 baritone like my old one. With a longer scale length than the original.

So maybe he'll read this and decide to do it at some point!

Do y'all not follow his instagram? This went up back in October

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba4-R35l3jk ... tarcompany

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba48_MvlDOV ... tarcompany
Gaevid_Deafen

Postby sick.bird on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:31 am

sick.bird wrote:
Riff Magnum wrote:Guitar is at the rehearsal studio.
My original nut was bad too. The high strings would choke and buzz but even though I'm still an idiot when it comes to guitars, I knew nothing back then and just played with it like for years, till I took it to my tech because the toggle switch was cutting in and out. He put on a new brass nut and problem solved. Although I like the fact that he sets my guitars up with super low action, I could probably stand to have him make another nut. Sacrifice super low action for a little taller nut and a steeper angle. Had it 10 years now, hell the frets might need to be dressed at this point too.
I see that most of the new beans have what look to be bone nuts. Curios, since the old ones are brass and EGC's are steel right?

if the nut and action is good i would leave it and go for different tuners. most tuner companies have the same tuners models with a variety of post lenghts, so replacement shouldn't be a problem.

new TBs have brass nuts and EGCs aluminum nuts afaik.

angle on my TB1000S #574, original Schaller M6 (23.7 mm post length) replaced with Schaller M6 locking with 18 mm post length (shortest available, non locking you can get with 19 mm). no new holes drilled, completely reversible:

angle on my EGC Baritone #048, original Schaller M6 (23.7 mm) replaced with Hipshot open gear plus UMP (18 mm posts). no new holes drilled, had to shorten the UMP:
works fine, but with the right Schallers it would have been easier to mount the tuners.
sick.bird
cats
cats

Postby Riff Magnum on Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:59 am

my angle is definitely closer to the EGC baritone at the bottom. I'm gonna look into new tuners once i find employment.
Riff Magnum

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:14 pm

MY DISCO. An EGC’s, two Obstructures and a Travis Bean. Quite a line up.

https://instagram.com/p/BetKGwtnEdM/
Last edited by Verbs & Nouns on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Verbs & Nouns
tenderfoot
tenderfoot

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:23 pm

Sometimes I daydream about sellling most of my stuff and getting an IsotonaG with minor modifications. They’re beautiful guitars.

I gotta ask, how different does one model of all aluminum EGC sound from another, assuming we’re talking about similar pickup options and scale? Like if we were comparing a Mosrite type to a Tele type? Or even one Standard to another Standard? I imagine that they’re more consistent than wood guitars.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Riff Magnum on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:21 pm

sick.bird wrote:
sick.bird wrote:
Riff Magnum wrote:Guitar is at the rehearsal studio.
My original nut was bad too. The high strings would choke and buzz but even though I'm still an idiot when it comes to guitars, I knew nothing back then and just played with it like for years, till I took it to my tech because the toggle switch was cutting in and out. He put on a new brass nut and problem solved. Although I like the fact that he sets my guitars up with super low action, I could probably stand to have him make another nut. Sacrifice super low action for a little taller nut and a steeper angle. Had it 10 years now, hell the frets might need to be dressed at this point too.
I see that most of the new beans have what look to be bone nuts. Curios, since the old ones are brass and EGC's are steel right?

if the nut and action is good i would leave it and go for different tuners. most tuner companies have the same tuners models with a variety of post lenghts, so replacement shouldn't be a problem.

new TBs have brass nuts and EGCs aluminum nuts afaik.

angle on my TB1000S #574, original Schaller M6 (23.7 mm post length) replaced with Schaller M6 locking with 18 mm post length (shortest available, non locking you can get with 19 mm). no new holes drilled, completely reversible:

angle on my EGC Baritone #048, original Schaller M6 (23.7 mm) replaced with Hipshot open gear plus UMP (18 mm posts). no new holes drilled, had to shorten the UMP:
works fine, but with the right Schallers it would have been easier to mount the tuners.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Tk-7973-010-Scha ... 1882357621

So, basically the "minis" right? Sometimes it's hard to parse out the actual post height from these diagrams, but the description says 18mm.
Riff Magnum

Postby sick.bird on Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:53 am

Riff Magnum wrote:https://www.ebay.com/p/Tk-7973-010-Scha ... 1882357621

So, basically the "minis" right? Sometimes it's hard to parse out the actual post height from these diagrams, but the description says 18mm.

no, standard M6, the new tuners on theTB are Schaller M6 180 locking with 18mm posts . i bought them from schaller directly as custom order. but that doesn't help you....you need to identify the exact model of tuners you have on your guitar and start from there.

on the egc i have Hipshots with 18mm posts and UMP which i have ordered on ebay but i had to shorten the mounting plates and enlarge the middle hole in these plates. also i had to use 2 washers to be able to tighten the bushings as the EGC headstock is a little bit thinner than the hipshot minimum headstock thickness.

the easiest thing is to replace the original tuners with the same model (or a model with the same footprint) and shorter posts.
sick.bird
cats
cats

Postby Riff Magnum on Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:01 pm

My EGC has grovers. Everyone says Schaller is the best and I'd like to get locking tuners, so I'll probably take it to my tech and have him measure everything and approve any purchase I make just to be sure.
Riff Magnum

Postby Redline on Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:22 pm

Electrical Guitar Company #263 in Greenfield now
https://www.musicgoroundgreenfield.com/ ... silvergray
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby skoz on Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:42 pm

Redline wrote:Electrical Guitar Company #263 in Greenfield now
https://www.musicgoroundgreenfield.com/ ... silvergray

Selling for about 400 more than the original owner likely paid for it. The original standard body shape is super nice.
skoz
grand
grand

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion