home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Montreal Advice

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Montreal Advice

Postby TylerSavage on Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:06 pm

I think for most americans too, Shwartz's won't be that big of a deal; American delis are a 'cut above' *fart sounds* canadian ones.

la banquise is always good but it's seem really 'par for the course' these days. Pattita Pattata is good if you're in that area. if you want to get really outstanding poutine, and have some great beer BrouHaha is a winner http://brouepubbrouhaha.com/

TylerSavage
piece of shoe
piece of shoe

Postby TylerSavage on Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:07 pm

Oh, and as far as concerts are concerned, http://justshows.com/montreal/ is a pretty good listing.

Windhand/All them Witches are playing tomorrow
TylerSavage
piece of shoe
piece of shoe

Postby nonreal on Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:36 pm

Kem CoBa.

Because we're all ice cream-eating motherfuckers.
nonreal
duke
duke

Postby Cas9 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:44 pm

[accidental double post]
Last edited by Cas9 on Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cas9

Postby Cas9 on Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:48 pm

I second Kem CoBa. Pair it with Ripples if you want a traditional-innovative ice cream double punch. It's also right next to Dieu du Ciel, which has already been recommended (and rightfully so).
Cas9

Postby madmanmunt on Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:21 pm

nonreal wrote:Kem CoBa.

Havre-aux-glaces!

Marsupialized wrote:
steve wrote:Will be in Montreal in a couple hours, leaving Thursday evening, Not much time to kill after today but I have the evening free if anybody has a bright idea.

Lbx, show this man a good ass time why don't you.

Haha. This is a good idea for a thread.

Where would take FM steve on a date in your city?
Book of Leo, Chapter 19 Verse 46 wrote:The man thought that he knew the glory and the wrath wrought of the Stratocaster, but lo! He was corrected.

Let them measure my anus and see if it is dilated.
madmanmunt
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby nonreal on Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:52 pm

madmanmunt wrote:
nonreal wrote:Kem CoBa.

Havre-aux-glaces!

Haven't been. But Kem CoBa is open later and has pandan ice cream, dammit.
nonreal
duke
duke

Postby LBx on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:37 am

Marsupialized wrote:
steve wrote:Will be in Montreal in a couple hours, leaving Thursday evening, Not much time to kill after today but I have the evening free if anybody has a bright idea.

Lbx, show this man a good ass time why don't you.

This is for the Pop Montreal talk(s), ya. I'll be at the one tonite.

I trust you filled those couple hours with something savory in the end?
LBx
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby steve on Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:13 am

So far, smoked meat and fries at Le Main, bunch of stuff at GUS, trotter, pork belly mortadella, boudin-foie-gras tart and foie-gras poutine at Au Pied du Cochon. Will maybe get into poutine at Patati Patata tomorrow, maybe I'm done for the trip though. Fuckin' Au Pied nearly killed me.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Get dog costumes on Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:45 am

steve wrote:So far, smoked meat and fries at Le Main, bunch of stuff at GUS, trotter, pork belly mortadella, boudin-foie-gras tart and foie-gras poutine at Au Pied du Cochon. Will maybe get into poutine at Patati Patata tomorrow, maybe I'm done for the trip though. Fuckin' Au Pied nearly killed me.

If you don't want to eat poutine again, try Lawrence (excellent Britishish food), or Nora Gray (njuda agnolotti). I would add La Salle a Manger, because their veal tataki was the best thing I ate in two and a half weeks in Montreal, but looks like it isn't on the menu. If you crave something heavy and simple, the liver sausage sandwich from the Lawrence's butchershop next door is totally rad.

I enjoyed every meal I had in Montreal, but I found some dishes, and some aspects of the service, at both APDC and Joe Beef over-the-top and silly.

However, I can't get behind FM four_oclocker_2's foieless APDC poutine suggestion. Without it, it'd be ordinary. With it, it's an amazing dish. It's decadence piled upon decadence, but the components are just different enough that somehow it's balanced and really fun to eat.
Get dog costumes
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby madmanmunt on Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:35 am

Get dog costumes wrote:However, I can't get behind FM four_oclocker_2's foieless APDC poutine suggestion. Without it, it'd be ordinary. With it, it's an amazing dish. It's decadence piled upon decadence, but the components are just different enough that somehow it's balanced and really fun to eat.

Wait! The ApdC Poutine (foieless) is not the same dish as the Foie Gras Poutine, sans FG.

Their reg pout is as good as any in the city. The ordinary done properly. Frites, curds, sauce. You just cannot simply walk into any old poutine place in Montreal and a get a first class regular poutine (anymore). For this it is worth mentioning.

There will be some dick out there complaining that the "oh, cheese crottes are too big", but fuck that guy.
Book of Leo, Chapter 19 Verse 46 wrote:The man thought that he knew the glory and the wrath wrought of the Stratocaster, but lo! He was corrected.

madmanmunt
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Get dog costumes on Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:43 am

madmanmunt wrote:Wait! The ApdC Poutine (foieless) is not the same dish as the Foie Gras Poutine, sans FG.

Their reg pout is as good as any in the city. The ordinary done properly. Frites, curds, sauce. You just cannot simply walk into any old poutine place in Montreal and a get a first class regular poutine (anymore). For this it is worth mentioning.

Oh. How is it different from the FGP sans FG?
prd wrote:Even Hitler brought more to a form than you did to a discussion.
Get dog costumes
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby madmanmunt on Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:58 am

FGP's sauce is enriched with cream, egg yolks and FG. And you get a pissy sprinkling of frites rather than a big bowl of them.

madmanmunt
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Marsupialized on Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:41 am

Dieu du Ciel should be every beer drinker's home base in Montreal, if you enjoy drinking and do not make a day of sitting and having every beer on the menu, you are fucking up royally. Every single one will be the best version of that style that could ever be conceived, then you'll hit the fucked up lumberjack one that tastes like sardines and cigar sausage water. It's a thing, that place.

steve wrote: Fuckin' Au Pied nearly killed me.

That is me, head down, at the end of the meal, completely beaten the a pulp by it, trying to come to grips with what just happened to me.
You actually feel like you've been worked over by a more powerful thing than yourself leaving a full meal there, just held down, steamrolled over and discarded, and it's AWESOME.

Love that God damn restaurant.
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby LBx on Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:11 pm

steve wrote:Le Main
Great every day spot I don't seem to get to enough.

Marsupialized wrote:That is me
No one is looking at you in this picture bro...
LBx

Postby gjp on Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:56 pm

Can anyone tell me how possible it is to move from the States to Quebec? I'm losing my mind here in Columbus, and I need to get the fuck out of here.

The company I work for was sold today and the company that bought us has a large office in Montreal.

I don't speak French, and I'm assuming that would be a problem. However, the company that is absorbing us is an American company, so I assume the language thing may not be too big of an issue as it would with company that does it's business primarily with other offices in Quebec. I am 100% willing to take classes, do Rosetta Stone, fucking whatever I have to.

Then there's the whole me being a non-Canadian thing. Which would have been a whole lot easier if the whole marriage thing panned out with Canadian ex. :|

I have to wait until the buyout is complete and we're completely absorbed to get a better idea from someone within the company, but I was just throwing this out there in case anyone has done this, or know someone who has.

Even if it doesn't work out with this company, there's a ton of aerospace jobs in Montreal, which happens to be the industry I work in.
Last edited by gjp on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
gjp
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby SergioGeorgini on Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:41 pm

Marsupialized wrote:Dieu du Ciel should be every beer drinker's home base in Montreal, if you enjoy drinking and do not make a day of sitting and having every beer on the menu, you are fucking up royally. Every single one will be the best version of that style that could ever be conceived, then you'll hit the fucked up lumberjack one that tastes like sardines and cigar sausage water. It's a thing, that place.

Went so many times when the girlfriend and I went up a few months ago. I brought back some Moralite which customs kindly took a bottle of their own. Really wish their stuff was easier to get.
Tonight we sleep in seperate ditches.

Marsupialized wrote:If I ever have a child, I want it to be conceived while listening to Caspar Brotzmann. I envision it would grow up to be a famous cannibal murderer.
SergioGeorgini
E = mc²
E = mc²

Postby Marsupialized on Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:32 pm

We are gonna do Joe Beef when I'm up at the end of the month, anyone have any recommendations? Looks insane, super pumped
Marsupialized
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby LBx on Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:07 pm

Joe Beef (at a reasonable hour) is booked yo! Sorry, it's a work night [/lame]. Thinking Maison Publique as a Plan B. Cool? We've been before. Wonderful spot...
LBx

Postby gjp on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:07 am

Any good shows or events going on Dec. 26-Jan 1? Specifically New Years Eve?

Also, good vegan restaurants in Montreal? Give me some. I'm bringing a vegan with me.
gjp

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion