home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Was anyone needing another reason to despise Billy Corgan?

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Postby Wood Goblin on Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:35 am

I read this little gem on Pitchfork this morning:

Well, that's the nail in the coffin, then. Just when we were slightly, slightly starting to care about the Smashing Pumpkins again-- what with the release of their long-awaited new album Zeitgeist, and its not-terrible first single, "Tarantula" [I doubt that--Wood Goblin]-- here comes something that makes us more than a bit mellon collie.

Billy and company would like you to know that they fully support the extinction of the American independent record store at the hand of large, faceless, little-guy-crushing big boxes. They also support bleeding their fans dry. How? By releasing FOUR different versions of Zeitgeist.

Best Buy and Target each get a version with an exclusive bonus track. So does iTunes. Like, a different one for each. Everybody else gets the regular version with no bonus tracks. So if you want all of the bonus tracks, you have to buy an album at Best Buy, an album at Target, and an album at iTunes. (Ooh, the presale iTunes version also comes with an extra set of Smashing Pumpkins covers by the Bravery, the Academy Is..., Panic at the Disco, Test Your Reflex, and +44. Ooh.)

Making fans who've been waiting the better part of a decade for new Smashing Pumpkins tunes buy an album several times over is, you know, bullshit. My god, you have to go to Target (and only Target!) to get the version with the title track! That just ain't right.

The Smashing Pumpkins are on tour. Whatever.
Wood Goblin
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby sunset_gun on Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:40 am

No.
Rick Reuben wrote:I was reading the Electrical Forum in my parents' basement when ...

sunset_gun
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Colonel Panic on Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:52 am

What an arrogant doucheclot.
All that glitters is not aluminum.
Colonel Panic
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Marsupialized on Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:58 am

Seriously, who was going to go to an little indie record store to buy the new smashing douchebags record anyway?

That record will fail, just like that solo record he did and just like the zwan record and the last few pumpkins records before that...people have made it pretty clear that nobody cares about him or what he's up to.

Think about it, that band had a few minor hits like 10 years ago.
Making them out to be some sort of rock giants is ridiculous, I mean Hootie and the blowfish were more successful.
Last edited by Marsupialized on Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marsupialized

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby Wheely on Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:00 am

That is completely despicable and cynical. Such an obvious play for cash. Not that I expected anything else, but that guy's a total fuck nugget.

Now there are 3 versions of this album for me not to buy.

Does this mean we can go back to liking Sonic Youth?
Wheely
farmer
farmer

Postby davesec on Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:01 am

billy corgan lost my vote a long time ago. and shit like this exhausts any debt i might owe to him from older sp records.
davesec
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby 154 on Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:02 am

i never heard anything about Smashing Pumpkins or (especially) Billy Corgan after 1997 or so... until i moved to Chicago. i can't believe he's somehow part of the public conscious here..

i'm guessing this record will sell less than 30,000 copies. total bomb.
Last edited by 154 on Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Yngwie Einstein on Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:04 am

My favorite piece of rock club graffiti that I still see throughout Chicago:

"Billy Corgan blows donkeys for wine change."
Yngwie Einstein
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Germ War on Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:04 am

There's been a lot of effort put into caring about this, I can see.
Germ War

Postby Adam CR on Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:11 am

They slayed my face one evening.

That's one more evening than most bands have slayed my face.

That is all.
On a steel horse I ride.
Adam CR
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Minotaur029 on Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:15 am

Who cares? Billy. Corgan.

One thing I never understood about the Smashing Pumpkins...is why everyone who likes good music was always so critical of his voice. He can't "sing," but his little bitch voice is still unique...the Smashing Pumpkins weren't nearly as bland as they might have been. Almost all of their radio singles were sweet...the albums...do not hold up very well at all.

That being said, even when I tried to give a shit about the Smashing Pumpkins, I never could.
Minotaur029

Postby DazeyDiver on Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:18 am

The band that made Gish was a pretty good little rock band, but Corgan is our generation's Paul McCartney. Talented, tasteless, charmless. This record is a non-event. The fucking cover for the first single:

Ty Webb wrote:Hieronymous Bosch buttfuck

majorbarger.bandcamp.com

Es ist alles lächerlich, wenn man an den Tod denkt
DazeyDiver
haskell wexler
haskell wexler

Postby Marsupialized on Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:30 am

DazeyDiver wrote:The band that made Gish was a pretty good little rock band, but Corgan is our generation's Paul McCartney. Talented, tasteless, charmless. This record is a non-event. The fucking cover for the first single:

wow that Billy Corgan is so far gone it's laughable
I can't even begin to understand the thought process behind that cover.
It's not funny, it's not cool looking, it's not some weird artsy shot...it doesn't make any sense. Paris Hilton's headshot?
So let me get this straight...EVERYONE universally hates Paris Hilton, and everyone is sick to death of hearing about her and looking at her picture, like REALLY sick of it....let's put her headshot on the cover! Yeah! Great idea, Billy....let's make sure nobody wants this thing in their house.
Marsupialized

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby 242sumner on Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:36 am

1979 is a fine song. Just saying...
242sumner
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:07 am

As if we needed another reason to despise Pitchfork...

Who really cares? Who is Pitchfork, really, to get all righteous and act like they're the "voice of the consumer" when they're sort of indie Rock journalism's answer to Billy Corgan.

Corgan, an asshole? This is news?
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby CJMcG on Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:14 am

The MayorofRockNRoll wrote:As if we needed another reason to despise Pitchfork...

Who really cares? Who is Pitchfork, really, to get all righteous and act like they're the "voice of the consumer" when they're sort of indie Rock journalism's answer to Billy Corgan.

Corgan, an asshole? This is news?
Ding! Ding! Ding!
You won whatever prize it is that you were trying to win on The Price Is Right.
CJMcG
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Braden on Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:22 am

This thread needs more Walter Malling.
Don't get chumpatized!
Braden
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby DrAwkward on Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:01 pm

242sumner wrote:1979 is a fine song. Just saying...

I found out recently that "1979" was completely plaigarized from Milwaukee band Sometime Sweet Susan. I discovered this while interviewing SSS's former guitar player for a piece i wrote for the Milwaukee Onion, which was published this week. He said that "1979" was ripped off from their song "Point," and being skeptical of such things, i listened to the song (their old drummer burned me all their old CDs in order to refresh my memory of the band, since they broke up in 1996). Anyway, i listened to it, and holy fucking shit. It's the same riff down to the guitar tone and the bassline. It's ridiculous. "Point" came out in 1993, by the way, and "1979" was, what, 1996?

I had both songs uploaded to sendspace for a little while there, but the links expired. I'll upload 'em again if anyone's interested.

As far as the "new" Pumpkins bullshit goes, i have a friend who is an old hardcore Pumpkins fan and a friend of James Iha, and she's going crazy flailing and being pissed off at Billy Corgan. She's crushed by all this reunion corporate whoredom and she's selling all her Pumpkins vinyl. I can't help but laugh a little bit (ok, a lot) because anyone who wanted to know if Billy Corgan was a douchebag just had to listen to all his "guitar rock is dead" interviews before the release of Adore. That "electronic" album tanked, so what did he do? Put out another guitar rock record after it. Dur.
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby unarmedman on Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:02 pm

Marsupialized is right. This band is and has always been a mediocre grunge/pop act that has attempted to prop up its declining record sales with a cascade of idiotic publicity stunts. This one tops it all. I'm sure they'll be broken up again in a year.

And back together in two.
"The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill
unarmedman
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby The Code is Almighty on Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:03 pm

I'd be interested in hearing that song.
jimmy two hands wrote:You can tell someone is a Grade-A asshole if the Muppets don't like them.
The Code is Almighty
Capofamiglia

Next

Return to General Discussion