home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Was anyone needing another reason to despise Billy Corgan?

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Was anyone needing another reason to despise Billy Corga

Postby Neuloveyou on Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:12 pm

On the subject of the Reverend Ashton model, if you want to see one being made even uglier head over to excellent Internet mentalist Scott Grove's YouTube channel. He has replaced the string holding bit of the tunomatic tailpiece on his with an enormous cast-metal snake, possibly a sidewinder.
Neuloveyou
took picture of naked guy

Postby Anthony Flack on Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:49 pm

whoisalhedges wrote:So, how are your luthiery skills?

Between shipping and import duties, it sounds to me like NZ is just aching for some quality - or even lousy! - home-grown guitars at reasonable prices.

I'd like to give it a go but I don't have all the necessary tools at present. I do know a dude who builds guitars from scratch, but not cheaply.

We don't need any more shitty garbage guitars - the likes of Mannix and Behringer seem to have been doing a roaring trade at the Rock Shop.

I think we just don't have that deep well of unwanted old guitars that you find in a country that has been mass-producing guitars on a large scale for decades, like the US and Japan. We do have a couple of homegrown vintage guitar brands from back in the days when you couldn't get Fender stuff over here, but they're fairly rare and collectible now.

I'm thinking I might import one from the US at some point (or maybe one of those lovely Chris Jury baritones) - obviously that becomes more economical with the more awesome guitars than the ones down at the bargain end, since shipping is gonna be the same either way.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby VaticanShotglass on Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:17 pm

agiant wrote:
Just 1 hour ago, I've bought an Japanese Fender Jaguar HH which looks fucking great for 400 euros, here in Madrid. Compare this beauty with the crapocorgancaster:

This also works as a much better Corgan Sig guitar. It seems like a pumpkinsy guitar with the black and chrome (not to knock the guitar, it looks fine and seems like a nice utility set up.) Didn't have several signature strats, even a squier, with just black pain, hot pickups, and mirror pickguards? They could have just slapped black and chrome on any of their budget dual humbucker designs and bam, Corgan time. Of course the pickups have to be whatever fetish brand he's into at the moment.

I'm pro Reverend in general however. Nice playing, often affordable alternative to fender style construction. Body shape is usually good.
VaticanShotglass
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby jpee on Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:56 pm

I'll go to bat for Reverend Guitars. They make a damn fine instrument. They play, feel, and sound great, and they hold their intonation and stay in tune really well. The signature models can get pricey, but in general their guitars are priced really competitively. I picked one up a couple years back and haven't been able to put it down. I'm not particularly into the look of the Corgan model either, but as a guitar maker, I'm a big Reverend fan.
jpee
comrade
comrade

Postby MatthewK on Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:43 am

Iha and Chamberlin joined Sir William onstage in LA for some Siamese Dream necromancy - which side of the ledger does this fall?
http://pitchfork.com/news/64406-smashin ... -16-years/
MatthewK
ella fitzgerald
ella fitzgerald

Postby garthplinko on Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:37 am

garthplinko
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby elisha wiesner on Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:35 pm

MatthewK wrote:Iha and Chamberlin joined Sir William onstage in LA for some Siamese Dream necromancy - which side of the ledger does this fall?
http://pitchfork.com/news/64406-smashin ... -16-years/

I'm going to go with the who cares side.
elisha wiesner
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby yard barf on Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:42 pm

MatthewK wrote:Iha and Chamberlin joined Sir William onstage in LA for some Siamese Dream necromancy

What happened to those children Testiclehead was playing with? Did some one give them a ride home? Did they flash the porch light so we know they got inside?
yard barf

Postby Raa on Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:30 pm

Was anyone needing another reason to feel sorry for Billy Corgan?

Raa
duke ellington
duke ellington

Postby sulfur)addict on Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:19 am

Raa wrote:Was anyone needing another reason to feel sorry for Billy Corgan?

I still cringe at how seriously Nick takes himself in this interview. "We roam around and try and do the best we possibly can," said the man feeling sorry for himself for playing Lolla.

Sure, yeah, Billy is a complete and total tool. Only he could make that presumptuous, dismissive attitude Nick had and make it look endearing.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby matthew on Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:07 am

sulfur)addict wrote:

I still cringe at how seriously Nick takes himself in this interview. "We roam around and try and do the best we possibly can," said the man feeling sorry for himself for playing Lolla.

Sure, yeah, Billy is a complete and total tool. Only he could make that presumptuous, dismissive attitude Nick had and make it look endearing.

Watching this more than twenty years hence is a testament to how much things have changed.

A clip for the ages.
...diesque nostros in tua pace disponas...
matthew

Postby Gramsci on Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:16 am

The main issue with William seem to be a lack of willingness by him to realise it's not 1995 anymore and that everyone else has moved on... The whole thing reminds me of what's happened to Page Hamilton and Helmet. Both bands make music for a wider audience that many people "deeper" into underground music rightly regard as derivative... for me, I really liked some of their output during the "era" but for pity's sake just STOP and do something new!

Both of them should have long since dumped their old "brand" and kept evolving and stop the endless flogging of a long dead horse.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby lumpenprole on Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:28 pm

matthew wrote:
sulfur)addict wrote:

Watching this more than twenty years hence is a testament to how much things have changed.

A clip for the ages.

That's a relatively friendly interview by Cave standards. The great thing about old Nick Cave interviews is that when he's not outright lying for his own entertainment, he's taking that particularly Aussie attitude of "I am under absolutely no obligation to help release you from the embarrassment of that stupid thing you have said" to it's absolute zenith.
Proud member of Steel Tigers Of Death Local 382.
lumpenprole
robert rauschenberg
robert rauschenberg

Postby numberthirty on Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:47 pm

Gramsci wrote:The main issue with William seem to be a lack of willingness by him to realise it's not 1995 anymore and that everyone else has moved on... The whole thing reminds me of what's happened to Page Hamilton and Helmet. Both bands make music for a wider audience that many people "deeper" into underground music rightly regard as derivative... for me, I really liked some of their output during the "era" but for pity's sake just STOP and do something new!

Both of them should have long since dumped their old "brand" and kept evolving and stop the endless flogging of a long dead horse.

To say the least.

He needs to realize that a kid turning twenty this year has an entirely different relationship with bands and their back catalog/body of work than a kid that turned twenty in 1994.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby MatthewK on Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:57 pm

lumpenprole wrote:That's a relatively friendly interview by Cave standards. The great thing about old Nick Cave interviews is that when he's not outright lying for his own entertainment, he's taking that particularly Aussie attitude of "I am under absolutely no obligation to help release you from the embarrassment of that stupid thing you have said" to it's absolute zenith.

The problem with Cave is that he thinks it makes him special, or penetratingly intelligent, whereas it's just rhetorical fucking.
MatthewK
ella fitzgerald
ella fitzgerald

Postby Anthony Flack on Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:49 am

Yeah, as much as I can always use another reason to despise Billy Corgan, all I got from that was some mild annoyance watching Cave not answer a straightforward question because Corgan didn't ask it exactly right.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Gramsci on Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:17 pm

clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:55 pm

"Related content" links: hilarious.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby matthew on Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:55 pm

Eh whatever. He should get back to making decent music and stop being foolish.

His round, bald Chicago-Irish cranium has always reminded me of the full moon and also a peach.

There's a full moon pretty soon as of this writing. Perhaps I'll see his face in it if I happenchance to look at it, and in that event perhaps the tune "Luna" will suddenly start playing from nowhere.
...diesque nostros in tua pace disponas...
matthew

Postby nonstoptaco on Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:49 pm

"So how is this any different?"

I don't even know how to answer this. Maybe there's no difference between the Klan in 1930's Alabama and someone on Twitter hassling Billy Corgan.
nonstoptaco
president
president

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion