home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

What's in your Hi-Fi?

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: What's in your Hi-Fi?

Postby Ben Abraham on Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:36 pm

Friends,

Despite my numerous posts about wanting to refresh my stereo, now is finally the time I'm looking to refresh everything. Here's what I'm thinking:

A new Rega P3

A Marantz 2220 or 2230 receiver from eBay, ideally with an LED upgrade.

A set of floor standing speakers—I could use advice on these...I've been recommended
Snell E's, Advents, and Dynaco A35s..all of which seem fine. Any thoughts on these?
Ben Abraham
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Ben Abraham on Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:15 pm

I'm actually scoping some vintage Klipsch deals. They seem to come up on eBay. What are the speakers to get? Heresy? KG4? Forte?
Ben Abraham

Postby madlee on Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:10 pm

Ben Abraham wrote:I'm actually scoping some vintage Klipsch deals. They seem to come up on eBay. What are the speakers to get? Heresy? KG4? Forte?

It really depends on what you will be using to drive them.

There are some people who swear by 300B tubes driving La Scalas.

I tried a pair of ASL waves with Kg4 and it sounded terrible. Brittle. But then they sound great with a Nakamichi solid state receiver. Those same waves with a pair of infinitys sound great. Everything I read was that tubes would soften the harshness of the Klipsch. If anything it made it worse. Granted it had lots of detail and amazing sound stage, but it was shrill.

I guess be prepared to either love them or hate them, and be willing to try a bunch of different amps with them.
madlee
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby JHarn on Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:17 pm

madlee wrote:
Ben Abraham wrote:I'm actually scoping some vintage Klipsch deals. They seem to come up on eBay. What are the speakers to get? Heresy? KG4? Forte?

I tried a pair of ASL waves with Kg4 and it sounded terrible. Brittle. But then they sound great with a Nakamichi solid state receiver. Those same waves with a pair of infinitys sound great. Everything I read was that tubes would soften the harshness of the Klipsch. If anything it made it worse. Granted it had lots of detail and amazing sound stage, but it was shrill.

I guess be prepared to either love them or hate them, and be willing to try a bunch of different amps with them.

^^ All of this, regarding the Klipsch speakers. I've owned the KG4's and they sounded pretty wonderful on a Pioneer SX-1080. But I currently own a pair of Heresy's that sound incredibly harsh on a solid-state and completely restored Marantz 2275 but sound pretty nice on a Sony STR-GX10ES for some reason. So yeah, it may take a bit of pairing to really get the most out of the Klipsch's.

Would definitely still recommend the Marantz purchase though. As for speakers, I don't know exactly what you're looking for sound wise, but I do own a pair of Original Advents (although those are more bookshelf type), and they are a decent. However, if you can get a two pairs and stack them, then you're in for a real treat. I've never personally heard Dynaco's, although I would like to own a pair of A25's at some point, but I've always read they aren't much on low end...if that's a deciding factor.
"Who the f—- is Jason LaRue?" --Will Clark
JHarn
duke
duke

Postby Ben Abraham on Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:17 pm

JHarn wrote:
madlee wrote:

^^ All of this, regarding the Klipsch speakers. I've owned the KG4's and they sounded pretty wonderful on a Pioneer SX-1080. But I currently own a pair of Heresy's that sound incredibly harsh on a solid-state and completely restored Marantz 2275 but sound pretty nice on a Sony STR-GX10ES for some reason. So yeah, it may take a bit of pairing to really get the most out of the Klipsch's.

Would definitely still recommend the Marantz purchase though. As for speakers, I don't know exactly what you're looking for sound wise, but I do own a pair of Original Advents (although those are more bookshelf type), and they are a decent. However, if you can get a two pairs and stack them, then you're in for a real treat. I've never personally heard Dynaco's, although I would like to own a pair of A25's at some point, but I've always read they aren't much on low end...if that's a deciding factor.

I may end up regretting this, but I found a pretty nice pair of Heresy speakers on eBay from a seller willing to ship them, so I nabbed em after reading up on them from various hifi forums (...ugh!). Part of my reasoning is because I saw many posters who seemed to get good results from a Marantz 22 series like a 2245 or 2230, maybe the lower wattage receivers pair better with the Klipsch?

I'll give em a whirl with my current Marantz 2216 and see how it sounds before hunting for another receiver.
Ben Abraham

Postby madlee on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:12 am

Honestly, I don't think you'll regret it if you find the right amp to match. It's a popular speaker and highly regarded, although most recommend using a subwoofer as well. They are efficient, so you can definitely consider low power tubes. A classic ST-70 perhaps? I don't know if that is a recommended pairing though.

here's some discussion:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/ ... h-heresy-3
madlee
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby a leg plaster on Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:59 pm

Snagged some JBL 62t bookshelf speakers at a thrift store price, basically. They're nice and clean and work great. Happy to check that find off the list, as I've been looking for smaller speakers for a while.

Just need to locate a dust cover for my MCS 6601 turntable. Does anyone know if the Technics SL-2000 one will match up to the hinge locations? I've had a hell of a time trying to locate one specifically for the MCS model.
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Ben Abraham on Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:33 am

The Heresy speakers arrived. Running through my Marantz 2216, I find them to be pretty pleasant. I've been playing a few records that I listen to often: Helms Alee, Shellac, Akimbo, Quicksand, Miles Davis, and I can easily distinguish different guitars, vocals are very smooth and clear, and overall very nice. I heard a Klipschorn system once and the clarity (understandably) reminds me of those. The bass response isn't bad, but as I expected, doesn't have as much "kick" as I'd like.

So I'm looking out for a powered sub to round it all out, especially at lower, apartment levels. As ever the audiophile threads are an anxiety inducing spiral of nerdery and I'd appreciate the sobered, PRF perspective on this. What subs do you like? Something around the $200 range would be rad. Ideally a small 8" or 10" thing that's easy to hook up to my receiver.

I'd like to connect my speaker outs from the receiver, into the sub and output the signal to the Heresys.
Ben Abraham

Postby WoundedFoot on Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:21 pm

a leg plaster wrote:Snagged some JBL 62t bookshelf speakers at a thrift store price, basically. They're nice and clean and work great. Happy to check that find off the list, as I've been looking for smaller speakers for a while.

Just need to locate a dust cover for my MCS 6601 turntable. Does anyone know if the Technics SL-2000 one will match up to the hinge locations? I've had a hell of a time trying to locate one specifically for the MCS model.

I don't think the Technics will match up. The MCS has little tabs you insert into the hinged plastic piece on the back and the Technics looks like it uses a screw to keep it in place.

You might want to try a cover for the MCS 6603 if you can find one. Looks to be the same sort of deal. My 6601 didn't come with a dust cover either. :(
WoundedFoot
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby dokazaado on Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:51 am

hi-fi nerd thread. right on.

right now i'm rocking
a hot rodded old Thorens from Vinyl Nirvana with a whole separate armboard, rewired Rega tonearm, and Ortofon 2M Brone cart. Early Nakamichi 480 cassette deck. cheapie Onkyo cd player. Lounge Audio MKIII phono preamp. Rogue Sphinx integrated. Monitor Audio Silver 8 speakers. Sounds pretty, pretty good.
dokazaado
the white ho
the white ho

Postby Ben Abraham on Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:14 am

Here's the new warm and punchy hifi gear that I am planning to save up for. Please comment if you have thoughts on this set up.

New record player: Project Debut Carbon Esprit SB I am finally taking a plunge into belt driven TTs. Many of the FMs on this thread that are smarter than me have mentioned that this is the way to go.

I'm also branching out into getting separates: Marantz 7T preamp. These seem pretty well regarded; the online demos seem like these would sound great.

This will feed a Harman Kardon Citation II or IV tube power amp. Apparently these are some of the best power amps ever made.

This will feed the Klipsch Heresys.

I will also get a media credenza from Stor NY to house all of this stuff elegantly along with records.

In theory this will sound very good.
Ben Abraham

Postby Redline on Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:40 am

Marantz 7T preamp
:shock:

If you're that serious, I would try to steer you in this direction.
https://reverb.com/item/1795570-bryston ... er-adapter
Bryston amps/preamps carry a 20 year transferable warranty, are dead quiet, and totally reliable.

Klipsch Heresys have horns. Horns will honk. They are super efficient, though. I heard a pair with a high power amp last year and they sounded great. I also heard a pair with an older Pioneer receiver, and they were really harsh.

Recommended sub - B&W ASW 650. Front firing 12", an amp that won't overheat, good times. You'll never need to upgrade.
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Ben Abraham on Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:25 pm

Thanks redline! I havent looked into Bryston that much. I will do some more research. My understanding is that Heresys perform best with tube amps, hence the HK tube amp. The Marantz 7T is a solid state version of the more coveted tube version. But yeah I figured I'd try to get a lifer system that will sound good. 50-60 a side might be a bit overkill in a smallish apartment but I've heard they sound very detailed at lower volume.

I will certainly look into that B&W sub. I'm not super thrilled with the Klipsch thing. It works good enough for now though.
Ben Abraham

Postby Mason on Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:15 pm

Novice hi-fi question:

I bought a new turntable but haven’t been using it, because here at home its output is very distorted. Someone explained that there was a mismatch between the cartridge and phono input types, which it turns out is a concept that there is. Did my research and yeah: the cartridge is a Grado F, a moving iron type, and my receiver's phono input (consumer-grade ’70s Yamaha) is for moving coil types.

What’s the smartest way to match everything up again? Replace the cartridge (seems nice enough, idk), replace the receiver (not as nice as the cartridge, relatively, but more expensive to replace), or buy a dedicated phono preamp (thereby losing an aux input on my receiver)?
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby WoundedFoot on Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:32 pm

Mason wrote:Novice hi-fi question:

I bought a new turntable but haven’t been using it, because here at home its output is very distorted. Someone explained that there was a mismatch between the cartridge and phono input types, which it turns out is a concept that there is. Did my research and yeah: the cartridge is a Grado F, a moving iron type, and my receiver's phono input (consumer-grade ’70s Yamaha) is for moving coil types.

What’s the smartest way to match everything up again? Replace the cartridge (seems nice enough, idk), replace the receiver (not as nice as the cartridge, relatively, but more expensive to replace), or buy a dedicated phono preamp (thereby losing an aux input on my receiver)?

Odds are the cheapest solution would be to buy a dedicated, bare-bones kind of phono preamp. I may have to do this as well since the Phono input on my receiver seems to be dying. However, if you don't want to lose a channel, you'd have to replace the receiver or the cartridge, so Id go with replacing the one you like the least if you decide to go that route. One way you can get around losing a channel if you buy a preamp is to buy an RCA switcher box which has multiple RCA inputs and a master out, or a small DJ mixer. I personally like those old black Radio Shack Realistic ones with VU meters and sliders.

I have not heard of a moving iron type cartridge, honestly. I know of moving coil (which I believe are the same as magnetic? correct me if I'm wrong). The current phono preamp I'm using is a DJ mixer with inputs for "Ceramic" and "Magnetic". Magnetic input works fine with the cartridge that came with my MCS table. Not sure if your cartridge needs a special type of preamp. Before purchasing a preamp, I'd check to make sure it can handle your "moving iron" type cartrdige.
WoundedFoot

Postby Mason on Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:44 pm

"Moving iron" seems to be a Grado thing—in my brief search I couldn't confirm if it was a variant of a moving magnet design, or if it was just their term for it, like how Fender got tremolo and vibrato backwards.

The phono preamp + RCA switcher is a good idea, and probably the best for my setup right now. This is all for a tiny apartment hi-fi, everything is coming out of some like four-inch Revox speakers anyway. But I'll have to see what kind of preamps will jive with this cartridge first.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Redline on Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:48 pm

Mason wrote:"Moving iron" seems to be a Grado thing—in my brief search I couldn't confirm if it was a variant of a moving magnet design, or if it was just their term for it, like how Fender got tremolo and vibrato backwards.

The phono preamp + RCA switcher is a good idea, and probably the best for my setup right now. This is all for a tiny apartment hi-fi, everything is coming out of some like four-inch Revox speakers anyway. But I'll have to see what kind of preamps will jive with this cartridge first.

Make sure the phono input isn't adjustable first. I have an older Yamaha and it has switchable mm or mc inputs.

If you're committed to MM, this preamp will work fine for 100 bucks. You could also use a higher output Moving Coil cartridge with it.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_823PAMINI ... nw=o&awat=
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby brephophagist on Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:00 pm

Redline wrote:If you're committed to MM, this preamp will work fine for 100 bucks. You could also use a higher output Moving Coil cartridge with it.

For the same price, this one allows you to switch between MC/MM on startup. It's nothing fantastic sound-wise, but I have one and it's never gotten in the way of the sound of the rest of the system. (Knock on wood.)
brephophagist
cool kid
cool kid

Postby Redline on Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:06 pm

brephophagist wrote:
Redline wrote:If you're committed to MM, this preamp will work fine for 100 bucks. You could also use a higher output Moving Coil cartridge with it.

For the same price, this one allows you to switch between MC/MM on startup. It's nothing fantastic sound-wise, but I have one and it's never gotten in the way of the sound of the rest of the system. (Knock on wood.)

Yeah, that's a good one too, Pro-Ject had turntable packages that would come with that unit.
It's amazing to think how many receivers/pre-amps were made without phono sections.
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Mason on Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:11 pm

That Music Hall and espeically the Pro-Ject preamp look great. One of those and a switcher ought to cover me. Thank you!
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion