home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Let us see your bike.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Let us see your bike.

Postby flytox on Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:11 am

Hey sparky, cheers to you and thanks for your suggestions!

Your red one looks great! Very classic. Black and gold is no combination for me I guess...

I have decided to have a blue bike. Took the frame to the painter yesterday for a nice powdercoating. Three or four weeks until everything is as it should be. I will post pictures here.
flytox
hubert humphrey
hubert humphrey

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:10 pm

Did some #teamdreamsunsetchasingteam with my friend Simon on Saturday night. Split a sixpack of Dr Tim's Pale Ale and rode (and walked) up Mt Osmond (about 8km's from Adelaide). Was a nice couple of hours drinking beers, talking shit and riding bikes on some nice dirt and gravel track.

Me (photo by Simon)

Verbs & Nouns
first class
first class

Postby agiant on Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:33 am

Yesterday I fixed it and rode it for a while. It has been idle for 4 years.
blah
agiant
chimp
chimp

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:20 pm

Just came back from the very first ride after building it, new parts: frame, stem, headset, fork, bottom bracket, everything else is from the old one. I love it already. Yaaaaay.

caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:49 am

So I saw this sorry thing yesterday (it's not mine wheel, thankfully). Don't ever, ever lock your bike by your front wheel only to anything. Thieves sometimes walk the streets with a wheel looking for such occasions.

emmanuelle cunt

Postby bishopdante on Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:51 pm

One of mine (daily lockup metal one... xtr cranks and scott unreleased prototype frame I'd had for a decade... the bastards) got nicked a while back so am building a replacement.

Cannot be bothered with gears shifters, wires and associated weight + reliability vs price so singlespeed will be fine for what it is meant to do.

This is a seriously clever chain tensioning method:

Certainly I shall be borrowing that method, spanner is an ideal metal part to use for such a job.

Possibly this spanner:
http://www.motorsport-tools.com/facom-off-set-midget-open-end-spanner-wrench-34-series-7mm.html
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell
bishopdante
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby bishopdante on Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:16 pm

After the street taxed my old rigid metal bike for being too bling, have built a cheap & stealthy steel mountain bike.

50mm pace rc35 forks rebuilt with with new elastomers are basically rigid but without the pain, feel every bump & front wheel goes where it's put, and thanks to the simple compressed stack of urethane rubber washer design are no trouble when bottomed out.

After over a decade on hydraulic disk brakes, going back to v brakes the lever feel of v brakes is somewhat inferior, but the v brakes do not remotely lack stopping power or control once they bite, and will lock up both wheels if desired with plenty of power spare.

Chain feel is very much like a bmx, the alfine chain tensioner is heavy as sin, but has a meaty spring, no chain slap at all, indistinguishable from a bmx drivetrain, except with a fairly stiff track bike ratio, pedals still have bite at 30mph. Would call it a "freestyle urban sprint bike".

Goes like the clappers, turns and stops as aggressively as one would ever want, & nothing much to go wrong on it.

At somewhere round 10kg it uses no weight weenie parts but is not a boat anchor, perfectly chuckable.

General alley whippet.

____

Parts list:

Orange c16r cromoly frame
Kenda kwest semi slick tyres on Sun rims
Pace rc35 mxcd 50mm elastomer-sprung carbon-kevlar fork
VP Headset
Cannondale Coda front hub
Shimano XT 175mm octalink v.2 BB + crank arms w/38t hope chairing
Crank bros 50:50 platform pedals
Shimano XT 7 speed rear hub w/cnc singlespeed adapter & sram pg990 16t sprocket
Shimano alfine singlespeed chain tensioner
700mm riser bars w/deore levers
Heavy duty forged bmx stem (no-name)
XT parallel pull front v brake
Deore rear brake
Lithium grease on brake lines, jagwire outer
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell
bishopdante

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:13 pm

That thing makes no sense to me.
Verbs & Nouns
first class
first class

Postby bishopdante on Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:29 pm

Exactly what I want london's bike thieves to think yes. It will get further gaffer and reflective sticker rat-look theft deterrants as I go along (and some plastic bottle mudguards).
bishopdante

Postby Verbs & Nouns on Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:35 pm

Wouldn't it make more sense to rat up some proper mudguards to provide arse / feet / drivetrain coverage?
Verbs & Nouns
first class
first class

Postby japmn on Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:41 am

bishopdante wrote:Exactly what I want london's bike thieves to think yes. It will get further gaffer and reflective sticker rat-look theft deterrants as I go along (and some plastic bottle mudguards).

Maybe the US is different than London (maybe?), but that bike looks super thieffy. Maybe if you spraypainted it flat black... breaks, tires, the whole shit. Other than that, yeah, anything with a shiny part is up for grabs. Those breaks alone are a methheads wet dream on a Tuesday night. My crappy $300 bike was stolen. They left a banana in its place with the word "clue" written on it in sharpie. That's what we're dealing with here.
japmn

Postby japmn on Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:41 am

bishopdante wrote:Exactly what I want london's bike thieves to think yes. It will get further gaffer and reflective sticker rat-look theft deterrants as I go along (and some plastic bottle mudguards).

Maybe the US is different than London (maybe?), but that bike looks super thieffy. Maybe if you spraypainted it flat black... breaks, tires, the whole shit. Other than that, yeah, anything with a shiny part is up for grabs. Those breaks alone are a methheads wet dream on a Tuesday night. My crappy $300 bike was stolen. They left a banana in its place with the word "clue" written on it in sharpie. That's what we're dealing with here.
japmn

Postby bishopdante on Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:29 am

London isn't as bad as it was 20 years back, because there has been a huge land-clearence of anybody non-billionaire, but we still have a substantial contingent of crackheads/junkies/hustlers, who are hungrier than ever. Certainly used to be the worst on the planet for bike theft. I don't lock stuff up, it gets dragged in. At night the junkies will take literally anything. I used to ride stuff so dysfunctional I could not believe anybody would steal it... but they did, plus those bikes would regularly atempt to kill me, I was on 50:50 write-off crash vs theft, going through 'bout 3 or 4 a year wasn't massively cheap either, and got pretty sick of the crashes. Last one the bike was wrapped round the back axle of a flatbed truck (I ended up choosing the "over the top" endo-bail in the truck bed rolling around on scrap metal). Couldn't get the bike off, wheels and frame were completely wrapped round the diff. Driver screamed out into a junction without looking, belting down the hill past me at motorway speed, looked the wrong way and almost crashed into a bus pulling out of a t junction into a confusing one-way four lane main road, resulting in a grievous pile-up in the main road, and to get out of the carnage the truck driver, on recoil, shunted by the bus did some sort of mad max handbrake turn/40mph reverse, mounting the pavement and eating up most of both lanes in the road he'd blasted past me on, which I was now rolling down, and there was no braking or steering out of that disaster on a rusty racer with skitter-understeer and skinny tires that just slide, had enough time to try a few things, resulting in scraping and hissing noises from the bike but insufficient change in trajectory or velocity, and final verdict was "brace for impact", so pulled an endo planting the bike into the back of the truck and jumped, just clearing the tailgate. Was not pleased to land on assorted scrap metal. After me and the driver spend a few minutes trying to prize the bike off his miniature lorry, with him complaining I was bleeding on him, I flicked some blood at him and said "you're the scrap metal expert, this is only ever going in the back of your truck, not being ridden by me, besides you'll be speaking to the roz for hours yet, no hurry", and just walked off, to work, allowing the queue of furious drivers to get to him. That was "the last straw" for inferior maneuverability.

Once every season one finds oneself in a road traffic incident, and that is when performance parts keep the red stuff where it belongs. These days people drive and use their smartphones at the same time, and I have been inches from death but still pedalling thanks to luck, reflexes, and quality engineering, as I witness some maniac drift out of lane, end up speeding head-first into a bus without looking up from their phone, then pulling wild evasive maneuvers without noticing Mr Cyclist.

The sets of "won't get nicked" and "of sufficient quality to be safe on the road" are not believed to intersect with any known sweet spot, but there are ways and means of getting both within reason. Would rather have a bike nicked than spend a month recovering from an injury (or worse). Saving money on a velocipede in a busy city is a false economy, the sums are relatively insignificant. Certainly the coercive economics of the bike theft problem is resulting in deaths, due to many people riding beaters. I'm willing to pay a premium to ride away from an incident.

After that, spent a season on the Lance Armstrong trek carbon nightmare, on loan from a fitness-freak friend, and it scared me daily. Certainly extremely fast, but not a lot of grip, terrifying understeer, especially on non-flat or wet surfaces, nor could it be locked up, but light enough to carry anywhere. Guy I returned it to with the advice "this is really meant for sport, not transport", well, he used it for transport and it got nicked in two days flat, something that might have saved his life, but henceforth I only ride mountain bikes.

The cromoly one above puts one in with a fighting chance of riding away from a traffic stitch-up, and can be locked up for an hour or two. Do bear in mind the chain-link lock I use is designed for a motorbike and weighs nearly the same as the bike, and it's only doing an hour or two locked up in the street.

Last one some assholes lifted it from a company's reception, inside a building, lift & leg it, was only locked to itself. One slip-up and dassit. Par for the course, first theft in nearly a decade. Far too shiny, had just rebuilt it to perfect. Shiny is a mistake in LDN, I knew those superstar gold-anodised hubs were asking for trouble, but a bargain, swapped for a few other spare parts with a friend, he hated the look of gold parts on a raw ally frame, they came to me virtually free (same as the rest of the components) but looked too bling by half. Opportunist hoodrat struck just after the receptionist went home, thief was probably not a pro, but probably knows one who can torch a tough lock off. The bike wasn't worth that sort of attention, but was clean and shiny with gold bits. I knew it was asking for trouble.

Good thing is the bike thieves that can defeat industrial locks are professionals, and they know that none of the parts on this particular steel bike above would fit on anything new, so would be a nightmare to sell. Carefully picked to be the most annoyingly incompatible with current mountain bike gear, it's all from about 1994.

The thieves are looking for the whole thing, or modern parts, and they'll take the box-fresh specialized s-works racer locked with a £5 steel cable, owned by a lycra clad banker. Trick is to lock the mutant next to something expensive and badly secured, which is fairly common these days.

Bit of road grime, bit of rat-sticker, they won't be interested in lifting mine.
Last edited by bishopdante on Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
bishopdante

Postby Adam Sr on Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:48 am

japmn wrote:Maybe the US is different than London (maybe?), but that bike looks super thieffy. Maybe if you spraypainted it flat black... breaks, tires, the whole shit. Other than that, yeah, anything with a shiny part is up for grabs. Those breaks alone are a methheads wet dream on a Tuesday night. My crappy $300 bike was stolen. They left a banana in its place with the word "clue" written on it in sharpie. That's what we're dealing with here.

japmn wrote:My crappy $300 bike was stolen. They left a banana in its place with the word "clue" written on it in sharpie. That's what we're dealing with here.

japmn wrote:They left a banana in its place with the word "clue" written on it in sharpie.

i died
Adam Sr
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Rodabod on Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:41 pm

bishopdante wrote: cheap & stealthy steel mountain bike.

Looks like a pretty smart build for riding around town. I like the Pace forks.
Rodabod
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby bishopdante on Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:45 pm

I have heard of many theft-tactics, but the psychological-warfare signed banana is definitely a new one on me.

They might be Andy warhol fans (meth might be involved, and now you mention it, meth is very rare in london, mainly used for adulterating cocaine). Plenty of crackheads here, though.

Standard bike thief's rucksack contains a variety of tools including miniature hydraulic bolt croppers that will go through steel cables, normal heavy chain, or D locks. Usual deal is the guy rides up, locks up his bike, stealthily chops & removes the victim's lock, usually by putting the lock inside the bag, depositing the chopped lock pieces in the bag to leave no trace, and rides off on the stolen bike.

30 second job.

They do it full time, that's a lot of bikes in a day, there's a whole fencing system for them with vans etc. They can really rack up the kills.

It's a pretty bad idea to lock a bike anywhere where there's a big pile of them, and ownership ambiguity can be introduced, allowing a stealthy broad-daylight chop & ride away move to be done. That's how the majority of thefts are accomplished.

Only sure way round that is to use the proper serious chain, as used for motorbikes, and make sure the bike is worth less than the five most expensive bikes on the street:

That'll be a good 20 minutes making a racket with an angle grinder (or portable plasma cutter), so no professional thief will go near those. No way of using a hydraulic ram, or hydraulic bolt-croppers. Easier to cut through whatever it's chained to (it happens).

Whatever the bike-lock marketers say, the old chain-link design where a strong enough part to do damage can't be inserted between the links is simply the most secure. Not the cheapest to make, or the lightest, but they are the strongest and least tamperable design of chain.

______

The hoodrat skunk-head wheel thieves are the worst. Quick release squirrels. They are opportunists, and will take a wheel and hide it behind a wall. They may or may not remember to come back at night and get it.

If you ever have your wheel nicked, just look behind the local garden walls, or anywhere a thief would stash a wheel. You may not find your original wheel, but you will find something that can be ridden. Usually four or five, some of them having been there for a while.

Verbs & Nouns wrote:Wouldn't it make more sense to rat up some proper mudguards to provide arse / feet / drivetrain coverage?

You would not be wrong. Main reason I did the bottles was that the frame in question had no fixings for mudguards. On this one I have fixing points on the dropouts on the frame, which is handy, so a conventional rear mudguard is a good option (rather than those seat-post tail-fins that mountain bikes often get fitted with). The front forks have no fixing points for a mudguard, so I'll probably use a drinks bottle there.
bishopdante

Postby bishopdante on Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:47 pm

Latest addition to the fleet:

Pace rc200 box-section aluminium frame w/ xtr m950 + l&m cranks, rc36 evo2 fork.

bishopdante

Postby Madman Munt on Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:58 pm

emmanuelle cunt wrote:Just came back from the very first ride after building it, new parts: frame, stem, headset, fork, bottom bracket, everything else is from the old one. I love it already. Yaaaaay.

Woah! That is the meanest bike in the thread. I would not like to mess with the rider of that bicycle!

Alright, time to update my contribution with my last 3 since the Look mtn bike has been retired until I gather all the parts to juniormonstercrosserize it, or enduro all-roadify it, as Jan Heine might say.

This one I hated, mostly because I did not switch out the saddle, grips and pedals when I got it. Let that be a lesson! Went down a hill like a fat donkey covered in bubble wrap (that's a plus), but otherwise unsuited to city riding. It really wasn't a bad bike. Nice brakes. FUCKING HATED IT.

This is more like it. First road bike in my size and price range I could find after selling the Genesis. Looked like the guy had taken it out once, jammed the FD, got a flat then left it in his garage. I really just wanted something, anything, to work out my road bike fit. Lots of fun. With the alu fork it needs those expensive 28c tires to be ridable. Eventually stuck a 46t on the front. 105 5800 calipers (like having a Iron Fist on each wheel in both grip and weight). Bars and stem too flexy- maybe intentionally so to counter the stiff fork? Ground a ton of gravel on it, but a bit of an arse-rattler, which is why I sold it.

Got this for song from a lovely couple from Caldicot. "He didn't ride it more than twice! It's got very thin tyres", she said.

I never thought I'd find myself on an alu Spesh, but here I am. Not as zippy as the Giant, but so much more comfy, more solid feeling too. Nice sparkle paint! Horrendous shifters, which are going, as soon FSA gets their budget 46/30 chainset in the shops, for a set of Sora 3500 9 speed. Could maybe have the bars lower. I like this more than I feel I should.

All of the above bikes needed their wheels re-tensioned and trued, the Giant especially was particularly shittifying on couple of descents. This is quite important to sort out if you are buying a bike second hand.
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:57 pm

Madman Munt wrote:[

Woah! That is the meanest bike in the thread. I would not like to mess with the rider of that bicycle!

haha! It's just the bike. I'm easy like that Faith No More song which is not really a Faith No More song.

This thread needs more recent PRF bike pictures!

Still riding the fuck out of this bike. Now with a 13-28 cassette with top cogs being 13-14-15 which helps keeping my cadence to what want to be and thanks to obsolete and deeply unfashionable triple I have all the range I want even when the bike is loaded and carrying my fat ass up a hill (smallest ring at the front: 26T), and all of that at about 25% of a price of a 2*10 drive train.

And here's one from may, back when the world had colours and sun:

emmanuelle cunt

Postby Madman Munt on Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:40 pm

Madman Munt wrote:as soon FSA gets their budget 46/30 chainset in the shops

Well, this never made it to the shops, tho I did see 'em on new bikes.

Still can't get a cheap 46/30 double.
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion