home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

new turntable for me, please.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: new turntable for me, please.

Postby madlee on Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:26 am

bigc wrote:I just want someone to tell me the best cartridge for my Technics 1200 for less than $150.

Almost $150:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-DENON ... 1602960523
madlee
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby BobbyPeru on Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:00 pm

I may have said this earlier in the thread, but F it I'll say it again.. can't go wrong with a Music Hall.

http://musichallaudio.com/turntables/
BobbyPeru
huey newton
huey newton

Postby Redline on Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:46 pm

BRAND NEW DENON DL-103

Good one, I had one of those, too. I never used it on a direct drive table, though.
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby etch on Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:41 pm

I love the Denon 103, I've had several but you need a step-up as it's a low output moving coil. You can use either passive with transformers or active. They also do best with a higher mass arm, which the 1200 does not have.
etch
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby LBx on Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:01 pm

bigc wrote:I just want someone to tell me the best cartridge for my Technics 1200 for less than $150.

Denon DL-110

Must be gettable for that amount.

No regrets, promise...
LBx

Postby madlee on Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:19 pm

etch wrote:I love the Denon 103, I've had several but you need a step-up as it's a low output moving coil. You can use either passive with transformers or active. They also do best with a higher mass arm, which the 1200 does not have.

Don't you mean the DL-103R and not the DL-103?
madlee
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Redline on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:12 pm

Yeah, the 103 clocks in at .3mV, it's a moving coil but worked fine with my MM phono stage.
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby etch on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:51 pm

madlee wrote:
etch wrote:I love the Denon 103, I've had several but you need a step-up as it's a low output moving coil. You can use either passive with transformers or active. They also do best with a higher mass arm, which the 1200 does not have.

Don't you mean the DL-103R and not the DL-103?

Both are low output. Most people load the 103 at 100ohms and the 103R at 40ohms. I got some Altec 4722 transformers a long time ago for my 103's and it works perfectly.

The 110 is high output and doesn't need a step-up. Some guys think that the 103 does better with a head amp as opposed to a SUT, I had one and it was noisy, so I prefer the SUT.

It's a great cartridge, especially for the money but it requires a lot to get it to perform optimally: high mass arm, a step-up, and high tracking force but it's worth it if you can get all those things in place.
etch

Postby matthew on Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:33 pm

can't go wrong with an Audio Technica AT-LP120-USB. It won't take hi-end cartridges but it's good for a casual vinyl enthusiast...like me :). That's why I have one.
...diesque nostros in tua pace disponas...
matthew
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby etch on Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:01 am

Speaking of the DL103, this chart is pretty handy for calculating gain needs with the cart of your choice.
etch

Postby flanneljammies on Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:27 pm

Any thoughts on the new U-Turn tables especially compared to the Projects?
Russell Emerson Hall. Throat torturer. Guitar abuser.
Current: Twelves and Bell & Circuit.
Ex: Tyranny Is Tyranny and United Sons of Toil.
"Yeah, that pedal is way too comedic for you. You're not silly at all."
flanneljammies
hindu
hindu

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:51 pm

flanneljammies wrote:Any thoughts on the new U-Turn tables especially compared to the Projects?

I need a new turn table and I don't want to spend a bunch of money - interested.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby WoundedFoot on Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:11 am

Just throwing it out there, I'm very partial to direct drive Technics models from the 70's and 80's. If you're on a tight budget, MCS (Modular Component Systems) released some rebranded models of Technics turntables in the 80's which they made for JC Penny. I have 2 of these. One I scored on eBay for around $40, the other on craigslist for $60. Both sound great and have given me no problems thus far. Fully adjustable counter weight, anti-skating, all that jazz. Totally solid and reliable.

These are the two I have.

You can usually find them for what I paid (give or take shipping) but I've noticed a slight hike in prices on ebay as of recently.
WoundedFoot
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Gantry on Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:41 am

flanneljammies wrote:Any thoughts on the new U-Turn tables especially compared to the Projects?

Can't remember which turntable/hifi thread I posted on but wirecutter compared the U-Turn, AT 120 and Project here:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-turntable/

Good read
Gantry
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby etch on Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:44 am

I would say that if you're looking for a budget table, you're better off with a direct drive as opposed to a belt drive. The low priced belt drives I've had have weak motors and cheap belts, which end up having audible speed and pitch variations, like wow and flutter type sounds.

At one point I had a Denon DP 1200, which was actually a good turntable. I got it really cheap but I looked on ebay and they go for a little more now, around $300-$500 but it's a good, worry free table that you won't feel the need to upgrade right away when the performance is below standard.

The tables that FM Wounded foot posted are a good idea also. You can also re-plinth these old DD's and make them sound even better.
etch

Postby mookie1010 on Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:55 pm

I bought the Pro-Ject Debut a couple of weeks ago based on some of the advice here. All of the brand new records (read: the 3 unwound box sets and the 3 Swans records I bought at the show last weekend) sound absolutely phenomenal. Stunning. This is my official endorsement.

HOWEVER.

I put on an old record that I'd acquired from my dads collection and holy christ did that thing pop and hiss. I have one of those inexpensive record cleaners and I probably should have found that thing and used it before dragging out a record that hasn't been played since the 70's, but I didn't.

Seeking advice on what y'all use for cleaning all that old shit we all have in our collection....
mookie1010
mime
mime

Postby Redline on Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:22 am

Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby mookie1010 on Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:01 pm

Man, I swear I put "cleaning vinyl" in the search and it returned nothing. I probably misspelled something.

Thanks for the link....
mookie1010
mime
mime

Postby a leg plaster on Sat May 30, 2015 1:07 pm

Been trying to scope out different MCS models on CL, eBay and some other sites (thanks again for bringing them to my attention WoundedFoot!), and I came into contact with a guy who offered me this:
stranger wrote:I have an MCS 6700 turntable I just finished servicing that's in amazingly great condition.

It comes with an Audio-Technica 2002 cartridge and Audio Technica stylus. Also included is the stacking spindle. The dust cover is near flawless as is the base. It is fully functional and ready to enjoy.

The feet are not original to the unit and the single-play spindle is also not original but works just great.

I've been attracted to the idea of MCS units because of their cheapness, quality, and my general lack of funds, but this guy wants $150 for the one he offered up there. Decent cartridge and better model of table? Or just overpriced? Would appreciate your input!
(exaggeration)
a leg plaster
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby WoundedFoot on Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:00 am

a leg plaster wrote:Been trying to scope out different MCS models on CL, eBay and some other sites (thanks again for bringing them to my attention WoundedFoot!), and I came into contact with a guy who offered me this:
stranger wrote:I have an MCS 6700 turntable I just finished servicing that's in amazingly great condition.

It comes with an Audio-Technica 2002 cartridge and Audio Technica stylus. Also included is the stacking spindle. The dust cover is near flawless as is the base. It is fully functional and ready to enjoy.

The feet are not original to the unit and the single-play spindle is also not original but works just great.

I've been attracted to the idea of MCS units because of their cheapness, quality, and my general lack of funds, but this guy wants $150 for the one he offered up there. Decent cartridge and better model of table? Or just overpriced? Would appreciate your input!

Def one of the highest end MCS tables. It's pretty much a Technics SL-1900. $150 is not bad given the model and it having a decent cartridge and stylus.
WoundedFoot

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion