home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

R.I.P.: Paddy O'Splaine's

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: R.I.P.: Paddy O'Splaine's

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:03 pm

caix wrote:
Hiwatt wrote:
greg wrote:Don't worry, there are more bars we can make fun of.

Sure, I will start. Irish Eyes on Lincoln is one of the worst bars I've ever been to in this city. Doesn't look like it will ever close though as it's plenty popular with two distinct groups: CPAs and college students. Annoying unless you're looking for some strange I guess.

That's was my dad's bar for YEARS. (Well, since the Jury Room moved way back when). Some of the bartenders were old, old friends. (My father tends to know a lot of bartenders, they aren't just bartenders, they are friends, and their crew tends to go wherever their friends end up bar tending). Lots of my father's crew used to drink there. Not sure if they do anymore. I haven't been to Irish Eyes with any of them in about 5 years. Never had to buy a drink there, though.

During one Movieside fest, the one w/ Romero, Rusty Nails had this weird, kinda fratty looking dude volunteering to pass out flyers, help out at the door, etc. etc...you know, volunteer shit. Anyway, this guy was kinda heavyset and balding, lived at his mom's, and, like I said, except for maybe a Ramones t-shirt looked like a frat boy. I guess he had some blog or something, I dunno.

Anyway, this young, darkly attractive girl- not too overly sorority-esque, but kind of- who was a bartender at Irish Eyes was bartending this event (it was at the Biograph, when it was still the Biograph). Anyway, this Chad looking type (come to think of it, I think his name may have actually been Chad) fell off the wagon for this lass. Seriously, he started drinking again just so he could hit on her, and...well...he creeped out most of the girls involved with this event but he was trying especially hard with this girl. Every time I turned around he was at the Biograph's makeshift bar. Dude went around asking all of us if we'd go to Irish Eyes with him after the thing ended. I declined, kinda think a lot of people did likewise.

So, that's my Irish Eyes story.

P.J. Craven wrote:I called their phone number last night and let it ring out into oblivion.

That'd be a better story if you'd said you had, like, All by Myself or At This Moment or something equally maudlin playing in the background.
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby P.J. Craven on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:47 am

Here's a piece of Chicago life advice: do not fuck around at Vaughan's Pub and Grill in Jefferson Park.

This bar is a faux-Irish bar for actual Irish people. Drunken, absolutely shithammered, angry Irish people. There's the Irish people that think it is funny when you accidentally spill a drink on them, and then there are these Irish people, ready to curbstomp your ass because you asked them for a smoke. Soccer teams celebrating the evening with Katy Perry blasted at Melvins-worthy volumes, Irish people cockblocking non-Irish ethnicities, the bouncer warning me not to take my eyes of the guitar that was clearly out of range of the raging for fear that it would be unceremoniously destroyed.

The pen they gave me to tip the bartender exploded in my hand. My right hand is still caked with ink. I tried to engage an Irish woman in small talk and was completely ignored. I'm lucky I didn't get the floor mopped with me just for existing. I had never been so reluctant to get in a fight in my entire life. I don't think the owners of the bar encouraged this kind of clannish behavior in the least, it's just the nature of the place.

I couldn't even distract myself with baseball on the TV. It was all preseason football as far as the eye could see. I think I'll just pony up for Smokey's BBQ next time.
ty-lot wrote:Sick bro
P.J. Craven
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Hiwatt on Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:20 am

P.J. Craven wrote:Here's a piece of Chicago life advice: do not fuck around at Vaughan's Pub and Grill in Jefferson Park.

This bar is a faux-Irish bar for actual Irish people. Drunken, absolutely shithammered, angry Irish people. There's the Irish people that think it is funny when you accidentally spill a drink on them, and then there are these Irish people, ready to curbstomp your ass because you asked them for a smoke. Soccer teams celebrating the evening with Katy Perry blasted at Melvins-worthy volumes, Irish people cockblocking non-Irish ethnicities, the bouncer warning me not to take my eyes of the guitar that was clearly out of range of the raging for fear that it would be unceremoniously destroyed.

The pen they gave me to tip the bartender exploded in my hand. My right hand is still caked with ink. I tried to engage an Irish woman in small talk and was completely ignored. I'm lucky I didn't get the floor mopped with me just for existing. I had never been so reluctant to get in a fight in my entire life. I don't think the owners of the bar encouraged this kind of clannish behavior in the least, it's just the nature of the place.

I couldn't even distract myself with baseball on the TV. It was all preseason football as far as the eye could see. I think I'll just pony up for Smokey's BBQ next time.

Do you live in JP? I've only ever driven by that place. I figured it's gotta be owned by the same people that own the one on what is that, Sheffield? That place sucks and the one on NW highway can't be any better. Also, in JP is Hops and Barley. I used to think the place was ok and then the last few times I've been in it has royally sucked. The owner, or GM or whatever that guy is is a total jagrag. Last time I was in there he was talkingshit* to one of the hottie bartenders and he smelled like a vodka factory. He made me and my date (who happens to live right around the corner from that place) completely uncomfortable-and quite a few others. Fuck that place. Never going back. Anyone have a suggestion for an alternative place in that 'hood.

Talkingshit is now one word. Just thought I'd let you all know.
I <3 meat hod.
Hiwatt
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby P.J. Craven on Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:13 am

Hiwatt wrote:Do you live in JP?

No way!

Anyway, don't go where you're not wanted, I suppose, but how was I supposed to know this was going to be anything other than some crappy bar? I just needed a place to go after band practice, and there's not exactly a lot of choices around those parts. Beneath every smile, there was the vague threat of "brother, I am capable of going completely nuts on you for the slightest infraction." The bouncer was breaking up fights in an almost dispassionate, friendly way--like he was serious about ending the fight, but that there were no hard feelings afterward on his end. He told me that he hadn't seen anything yet.

I didn't know there were places around that were still like this! It would have been sort of refreshing if I hadn't been so completely out of my element. The place is probably normal before a certain hour. I'm still just totally confused--and why were there so many off-the-boat Irish in one place? The location wasn't exactly convenient.
P.J. Craven

Postby tbone on Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:14 am

I have stopped in for a beer and a burger at Vaughan's Pub quite a few times, because our rehearsal space is almost right across the street. Granted, I don't think I've been there on a weekend night before, but still, I have never experienced what you're talking about. Maybe there's just something about you that the Irish don't like?

Definitely go to Smokey's though. Food's a lot better there.
I play guitar in Mayor For Life and Jackhammer Hearts
tbone
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Tony on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:17 am

Paddy O'Splaines has a new sign out front. The sign reads "Sweat Pea's". The name and font make me think of a bad hotel bar near an airport, as if the sign was stolen from a Marriott in Rosemont.

I eagerly await the opening.
Tony
julia sweeney
julia sweeney

Postby P.J. Craven on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:29 am

tbone wrote:I have stopped in for a beer and a burger at Vaughan's Pub quite a few times, because our rehearsal space is almost right across the street. Granted, I don't think I've been there on a weekend night before, but still, I have never experienced what you're talking about. Maybe there's just something about you that the Irish don't like?

I am Irish! Ancestrally, 100%. I've been to Ireland. I am good with the Irish (or I was...now I feel a bit like Homer at Hullabalooza).

Try a weekend night though. There were a bunch of soccer teams in there and it was off the wall, a standing puddle of beer and water on the dance floor.
P.J. Craven

Postby Hiwatt on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:42 am

P.J. Craven wrote:
Hiwatt wrote:Do you live in JP?

No way!

Anyway, don't go where you're not wanted, I suppose, but how was I supposed to know this was going to be anything other than some crappy bar? I just needed a place to go after band practice, and there's not exactly a lot of choices around those parts. Beneath every smile, there was the vague threat of "brother, I am capable of going completely nuts on you for the slightest infraction." The bouncer was breaking up fights in an almost dispassionate, friendly way--like he was serious about ending the fight, but that there were no hard feelings afterward on his end. He told me that he hadn't seen anything yet.

I didn't know there were places around that were still like this! It would have been sort of refreshing if I hadn't been so completely out of my element. The place is probably normal before a certain hour. I'm still just totally confused--and why were there so many off-the-boat Irish in one place? The location wasn't exactly convenient.

You were in the angry part of town.
I <3 meat hod.
Hiwatt
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby tbone on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:42 pm

P.J. Craven wrote:
tbone wrote:I have stopped in for a beer and a burger at Vaughan's Pub quite a few times, because our rehearsal space is almost right across the street. Granted, I don't think I've been there on a weekend night before, but still, I have never experienced what you're talking about. Maybe there's just something about you that the Irish don't like?

I am Irish! Ancestrally, 100%. I've been to Ireland. I am good with the Irish (or I was...now I feel a bit like Homer at Hullabalooza).

Try a weekend night though. There were a bunch of soccer teams in there and it was off the wall, a standing puddle of beer and water on the dance floor.

Fair enough. But yeah, go there at like 7 or 8 on a Tuesday and there are only a couple of other people in there, and other than the fact that everyone there is all hell of Irish, everything is about as you could expect a neighborhood bar to be--the wait staff will bullshit and joke with you, and most of the other patrons don't give a shit about you.

That other bar a couple blocks north that always has like a dozen Harleys out front--haven't ventured into that one. Now there's a place I know I wouldn't be wanted.
I play guitar in Mayor For Life and Jackhammer Hearts
tbone
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby stewie on Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:51 pm

P.J. Craven wrote:I just needed a place to go after band practice, and there's not exactly a lot of choices around those parts. Beneath every smile, there was the vague threat of "brother, I am capable of going completely nuts on you for the slightest infraction."

I completely understand this sentiment, actually. This is one of the reasons I was so happy to move out of Dublin in '99. Partying in the city back in the late 90's was getting really goddamn dangerous, and it was all so fucking random. You could get hopped on and get the shit kicked out of you for absolutely nothing. My buddies from home tell me that the last decade didn't get much better either.

It's still J1 season, so that's probably why there are so many of them around. Check out the bar in a month or two and I'll bet it will have a lot less nutjob leprecocks around.
stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby pwalshj on Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:03 am

stewie wrote:
It's still J1 season, so that's probably why there are so many of them around. Check out the bar in a month or two and I'll bet it will have a lot less nutjob leprecocks around.

My neighborhood is overrun with these hairjelled miscreants every summer. Last week one kid got out of a cab as I was having a smoke outside my local. He made a completely unsolicited comment about my jacket which led to me telling him that he looked like a homosexual paratrooper. Good times.
"If you aren't offered a hot dog or a burger this week it ain't them... It's you." - Ray Chimaro - July 1st 2009
pwalshj
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby lemur68 on Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:50 pm

pwalshj wrote:
stewie wrote:

My neighborhood is overrun with these hairjelled miscreants every summer. Last week one kid got out of a cab as I was having a smoke outside my local. He made a completely unsolicited comment about my jacket which led to me telling him that he looked like a homosexual paratrooper. Good times.

Last week? You told us this story in March.
big_dave wrote:This is just about finding a dorky selfie on his blogspot?

Jesus, this is the Space Ace by Don Bluth of internet intrigue.
lemur68
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby pwalshj on Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:33 pm

lemur68 wrote:
pwalshj wrote:
stewie wrote:

pwalshj wrote:by pwalshj on Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:03 am

I think that speaks for itself. My apologies.
"If you aren't offered a hot dog or a burger this week it ain't them... It's you." - Ray Chimaro - July 1st 2009
pwalshj

Postby stewie on Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:33 pm

pwalshj wrote:
lemur68 wrote:
pwalshj wrote:
stewie wrote:

pwalshj wrote:by pwalshj on Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:03 am

I think that speaks for itself. My apologies.

Lemur68, PRF detective

stewie
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby AlBStern on Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:34 pm

I remember when this thread used to be about the Splaine's

Tony wrote:Paddy O'Splaines has a new sign out front. The sign reads "Sweat Pea's". The name and font make me think of a bad hotel bar near an airport, as if the sign was stolen from a Marriott in Rosemont.

AlBStern
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby P.J. Craven on Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:59 pm

AlBStern wrote:I remember when this thread used to be about the Splaine's

Tony wrote:Paddy O'Splaines has a new sign out front. The sign reads "Sweat Pea's". The name and font make me think of a bad hotel bar near an airport, as if the sign was stolen from a Marriott in Rosemont.

My God. It's like the Friday The 13th saga.

Paddy O'Splaine's III: Under New Management

Also, from everyblock.com:

some guy wrote:You obviously missed the last few weekends of Paddy O'Splaine's run when it was overrun with troublemakers who would routinely cause a ruckus at 3-4 AM Saturday nights when it was shut down. One weekend there was a brick thrown through the window of a neighboring business and, the last night the place was open, there was an all-out brawl in the street that left two people unconscious, lying in the middle of Montrose Ave. and the police had to taze another fine, upstanding citizen.

Wasn't at all sorry to see Paddy's go. Hopeful this new place is a nice neighborhood hang-out that has a little security.

And finally, the last Paddy O'Splaine's Yelp review:

some lady wrote:Like a lot of reviewers here, I wanted this place to be great, because it's so convenient to my home. It's not great. It's not even good. It's kind of gross. I don't know how they stay in business because it's almost always empty. the food is not all that terrific, and the servers have the uncanny ability to forget you're there, even though you may be the only customer in the restaurant. It's like eating lunch in an Kafka-esque nightmare. Nothing makes sense. If they can't get customers, can't get the food right, have this fakey, cheap Ashley Furniture decor, and they don't even LIKE you when you come to eat there, WHY do they stay in business? WHY? WHY?
P.J. Craven

Postby Hiwatt on Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:54 pm

Sorta off the topic but-I've been doing restaurant and bar consulting these days. The last few owners I've met with somehow know they need help, but then when they realize it costs money, they usually beg off. I've never seen a group of people that think they know everything. The fact is most of the time is they know nothing about the business and it's been some kinda dream for them to have their own place. I'm fairly sure that the people at Paddy O'Splaine's were no different. If I recall correctly, maybe two years ago they were looking for a chef and a friend of mine went and interviewed there. They wanted to pay like $11/hour-for a chef, the guy in charge of the food and cooks-it's crazy. He declined and told them they weren't serious about running the kitchen right. They told him he was an arrogant know it all. Go figure.
I <3 meat hod.
Hiwatt
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby dvockins on Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:08 pm

bump

what's up with sweet pea's

got this from February of 2013

http://lincolnsquare.patch.com/groups/b ... 9cec42e37d

looks like they're really being, uh, thorough with this project
dvockins
ed o'neill
ed o'neill

Postby Jodi S. on Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:11 pm

I give it 6 months before it's on an episode of Bar Rescue.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby Hiwatt on Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:21 pm

dvockins wrote:bump

what's up with sweet pea's

got this from February of 2013

http://lincolnsquare.patch.com/groups/b ... 9cec42e37d

looks like they're really being, uh, thorough with this project

AFAIK, not a damn thing. I thought the Sweet Pea people ran outta money. I think there's a thread on yelp about it.
I <3 meat hod.
Hiwatt
has seen it all
has seen it all

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion