home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

One-sentence indie rock confessions

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: One-sentence indie rock confessions

Postby Defender on Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:35 pm

I feel dat. I think I've said that in this very thread too. Ain't my cup of Amp energy drink
"a little red wine, vintage record, some Ambien ... and magic!"
- elon musk
Defender
second class
second class

Postby SecondEdition on Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:32 pm

I like the Wipers quite a bit - one of my band's older songs was obviously influenced by them, even - but the way some people I know go on about them like they were the second coming of old time religion itself is just weird to me.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby MrMattDiehl on Tue May 30, 2017 12:04 am

I am really, really into PRS guitars of late. For real.
MrMattDiehl
yogi berra
yogi berra

Postby NewDarkAge on Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:40 am

"Accidentally in Love" by Counting Crows is, discounting the performance and production, a good pop song.
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.
NewDarkAge
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby mrcancelled on Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:17 pm

Hee Haw and Prayers on Fire are both much better than Junkyard.
mrcancelled
avery fisher
avery fisher

Postby Defender on Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:43 pm

idk if the songs are that much better, but i agree that Junkyard sounds kinda off. but those songs in the Peel sessions or live lp sound incredible
"a little red wine, vintage record, some Ambien ... and magic!"
- elon musk
Defender
second class
second class

Postby sitwell on Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:13 pm

The 90's are our parents 60's and you're just going to have to deal with that.
sitwell
denny dias
denny dias

Postby Pasta on Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:22 pm

I have NO IDEA WHAT THE FUCK y'all are talking about.

I Love YES
Ninety Five Cents? FUCK YOU!!! I'LL SKATE TO THE BEACH.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

Postby kokorodoko on Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:44 pm

sitwell wrote:The 90's are our parents 60's and you're just going to have to deal with that.

What does this mean? Surely the 60's were our parents 60's? Do you mean that the 90's are to us what the 60's were to our parents? God I hope not.
Janeway wrote:those cat-food-for-lunch-deserving motherfuckers 8)
kokorodoko
alexander alekhine
alexander alekhine

Postby mrcancelled on Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:31 pm

My parents are in their 60's, does that mean I'm actually in my 90's?

Am I going to die soon?
mrcancelled
avery fisher
avery fisher

Postby sitwell on Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:54 pm

I'm saying a lot of people my age (around 40) talk about the 90s the same way my parents talked about the 60s when they were about 40 and a lot of people who are around 15-20 talk about the 90s (Nirvana, Pavement, Pixies) the same way I talked about the 60s (Young, Dylan, Hendrix) when I was that age.
sitwell
denny dias
denny dias

Postby Janeway on Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:30 pm

maybe middle age makes you miss the freedom of your youth when you look fondly on that decade in life, but it especially might bring you back to feeling 18 when millenials all walk around wearing the more popular great bands from when you were 18 like little time capsule pirate hoes.
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby travis k on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:39 pm

Well if I ever see an 18 yr old kid wearing a Six Finger Satellite t shirt,
I'll piss my pants for fun.
travis k
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby total_douche on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:06 pm

sitwell wrote:I'm saying a lot of people my age (around 40) talk about the 90s the same way my parents talked about the 60s when they were about 40 and a lot of people who are around 15-20 talk about the 90s (Nirvana, Pavement, Pixies) the same way I talked about the 60s (Young, Dylan, Hendrix) when I was that age.

I had an interesting thought about that, and how Boomer-centric our culture really is. Let me elaborate:

In 1991, Nevermind was new. Today, Nevermind is 26. In 1991, music that was 26 years old played on the oldies stations. Today, songs from Nevermind make it onto classic rock stations, but still play on current rock radio. What plays on the oldies stations? The music that the Boomers' parents listened to, or, perhaps, what the Boomers listened to when they were children. What radio considers "contemporary," "classic," or "old" is defined almost solely through the point-of-view of the Boomers. Therefore, the names mean nothing, they simply indicate some nebulous combination of genre and year range.

And yet, despite the fact that the Boomers have done a good job of making time appear "frozen" to the observer of American nomenclature (god save their vanity), Nirvana is still "old people music" to the current generation of young adults. The way that most of the twentysomethings I interact with at school react to Nevermind is almost the exact same as I did when I was a kid and someone put on Roy Orbison or Buddy Holly or Elvis. "Hey, this is kind of neat, I guess my parents had cool music after all." And yet we don't consider Nirvana an "oldies" band, even though, by a consistent set of standards, we well ought to. Bleach came out almost 30 years ago. But to the Baby Boomer, Nirvana is that "new noisy music that put an end to the good 80s tuuuuueeeeeennnns." And they continue to maintain a strangle hold on American culture. My favourite moment in Star Trek 13 was when they referred to the Beastie Boys as "classical," much the way we refer to the popular orchestral music produced before the dawn of the 20th century today. "Classical" wasn't called "classical" in Mozart's time (granted, a lot of what the average idiot calls "classical" is baroque or romantic anyway). They acknowledged that culture is always moving forward, and that, eventually, even our Boomer-centric view of older music will die... but it hasn't happened yet.
total_douche
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Anthony Flack on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:27 pm

phpBB [media]

The Hullabalooza episode of the Simpsons has so much extra unintentional irony now that it's a whole generation out of date.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby kokorodoko on Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:20 am

sitwell, total_douche: Hm, that's interesting. I don't know much about what the tweens think of them, but I think of Nirvana very much like "young people's music". And I am a millennial, albeit in the upper year range. It might be different in the States.
kokorodoko
alexander alekhine
alexander alekhine

Postby sulfur)addict on Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:03 pm

kokorodoko wrote:sitwell, total_douche: Hm, that's interesting. I don't know much about what the tweens think of them, but I think of Nirvana very much like "young people's music". And I am a millennial, albeit in the upper year range. It might be different in the States.

Saw a group of 18 year olds or so in a record store a month ago, and one of the girls said "guys, I miss Kurt Cobain." That he died before she was born didn't phase her.

Nirvana are still revered among the youth, I guess there must be a real fire in his voice.

They only looked through the hip hop section before leaving, which made it even better.

None of this is a judgment, btw. I've paid beaucoup this year to see artists who are well over a decade out of their prime. My indie confession is that the most expensive ticket was also the worst by a mile - At The Drive-In.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Janeway on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:21 pm

^millenials the ones who like all our pretty songs and they likes to sing along and likes to shoot her guns n roses but they don't know what it means, don't know what it means, and I said...
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway

Postby kokorodoko on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:46 am

I'll go ahead and confess that I have never liked Nirvana.
kokorodoko
alexander alekhine
alexander alekhine

Postby first2letters on Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:00 am

Janeway wrote:^millenials the ones who like all our pretty songs and they likes to sing along and likes to shoot her guns n roses but they don't know what it means, don't know what it means, and I said...

I dunno, speaking anecdotally I have two teenage kids who discovered Nirvana with no prompting from me and were able to read pretty quickly into the songs' meanings. The songs stirred something in them that I haven't been able to, about things I want them to be passionate about, so I count that as a positive. Plus the kids think the stuff I actually listen to for nostalgia is too weird, so it's not like I'm gonna score any breakthroughs by starting them with the Jesus Lizard.
first2letters
godot
godot

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion