home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Official EA Forum What Pinball Games Are You Playing? Thread

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Official EA Forum What Pinball Games Are You Playing? Thread

Postby buzzsaw on Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:28 pm

I work about 1/4 mile away from this place. Chuck the owner also own the most awesome tool store on earth called Waltco tools. It is a few miles away.
Arson- I totally need to go with you next time you make it out
buzzsaw
princess di
princess di

Postby Arson Smith on Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:54 pm

buzzsaw wrote:I work about 1/4 mile away from this place. Chuck the owner also own the most awesome tool store on earth called Waltco tools. It is a few miles away.
Arson- I totally need to go with you next time you make it out

Oh hellz yeah! - we should be there for sure on the 11th and the 12th of this month...
My mind, it's a terrible diskette.
Arson Smith
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Arson Smith on Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:53 pm

Chuck from CP Pinball wrote: We have had some very nice crowds these last couple of months. Therefore I will add an extra 2 dates for the month of January. We will be open January 8th, 9th, 15th, 16th, 22nd and the 23rd. We will be open from 6pm to midnight every night.

I am going to make a new RULE also, if we happen to have a slow night less than 15 people, due to attendance or weather we will close an hour earlier. This has not happened yet, but with bad weather comes bad attendance and I want to be prepared to deal with it.

Hopefully we should have Stern SPIDERMAN this month and I am rebuilding alot of flippers and going over games to be sure they are playing at their best.

We didn't win the Stride Gum 'Best Of The Arcade', but they are doing another one so click here and spend 5 minutes to help us win in Feburary. $25,000 is the prize and if I win I would buy all 5 of the new STERN titles such as 24, Batman, Indiana Jones 4, CSI, and Shrek. Thanks click below to register CP pinball as the Best Arcade.

http://www.savethearcades.com to vote for us, if you think we deserve such an honor.
Arson Smith
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby hench on Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:56 am

i've been in l.a. for nineteen days and i was really starting to freak out, as i hadn't found a pinball joint yet - was afraid that i'd have to drive over to tim arnold's spot over in vegas every time i needed a fix. nope - house of billiards in santa monica has a mint johnny mnemonic and a mint banzai run (and a fish tales that's currently undergoing maintenance). dude - so stoked.

any l.a. area folks know where i can find an attack from mars, medieval madness, or monster bash table?
hench
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Arson Smith on Thu May 06, 2010 1:42 pm

Just for shits and giggles, Kathy and I are toying with the idea of heading out to Gameworks Schaumburg this Friday night for the Iron Man pinball launch party...

[ evite link ]

Anybody been there? Is this basically just like a big-ass Dave & Buster's? OK? Lame?
Arson Smith
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby hench on Thu May 06, 2010 2:15 pm

dude, save your gas money - it's a stern table.

barrrrfffff.
hench

Postby Arson Smith on Thu May 06, 2010 2:22 pm

hench wrote:dude, save your gas money - it's a stern table.

barrrrfffff.

Well, we're not heading up just for that! But since we'll be up north anyhow... and since it is Kathy's birthday tomorrow... and hey Spider-Man™ wasn't that bad, right?
Arson Smith
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby hench on Thu May 06, 2010 6:16 pm

Arson Smith wrote:and hey Spider-Man™ wasn't that bad, right?

wouldn't know - last stern table i played was 'the sopranos' and it was just gawdawful. swore off of them after that.*

* i think i played their t3 machine the last time that i was down at chuck's, but that was as part of the tournament. additionally, i'll give them credit for 'the simpsons pinball party' - that's actually a very fun game if it's in good working condition.
hench

Re: Official EA Forum What Pinball Games Are You Playing? Th

Postby Arson Smith on Mon May 24, 2010 1:32 pm

Arson Smith wrote:Just for shits and giggles, Kathy and I are toying with the idea of heading out to Gameworks Schaumburg this Friday night for the Iron Man pinball launch party...

(Been meaning to update this thread...)

SO...

http://www.pinballrankings.com/view_tou ... 2010-05-07

8)

Mad love must be given (albeit way overdue) to My Lady and THE FAMILY PEPPER! for enduring the ridiculous wait (& hellish Gameworks karaoke) while the event played out!

Also - just this past weekend one of our local guys says to me, he says "Hey! I saw on-line that you did alright in that Iron Man thing! Let me buy you a beer!" and he offers me a very delicious Augusta Farmhouse Tripel - YUM!

UP NEXT:

Chuck wrote:
CP Pinball Tournament - June 19th

We are having our 4th tourney on June 19th 2010. We will open at 8:30
and begin at 9:30 am. Cost is $20 for the day and will include soda,
water, and pizza for lunch. There are no cash prizes for this tourney,
only possible WPPR points. Format will be head to head till around
1:00 pm, then we will split into 2 divisions and continue until 4pm
and then head to the playoffs.

We have over 70 great properly working games, go to http://www.cppinball.com
to see our place

Thanks
Last edited by Arson Smith on Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arson Smith
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby hench on Mon May 24, 2010 1:40 pm

check you out - above george gomez and lyman sheats - nice work!
hench

Postby PEPPER! on Mon May 24, 2010 2:33 pm

Arson Smith wrote:Mad love must be given (albeit way overdue) to My Lady and THE FAMILY PEPPER! for enduring the ridiculous wait (& hellish Gameworks karaoke) while the event played out!

aw man it was really fun, we have gotten just unbelievable mileage out of the boat song alone
PEPPER!
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby hench on Wed May 26, 2010 3:41 pm

and because i believe in giving credit where credit is due:

i had the chance to play the stern 'indiana jones' table this afternoon & it's actually a great machine. the shots flow really smoothly (helps that the layout is really similar to 'the addams family'), the gameplay is enjoyable, and there's a level of complexity that was missing in some of their earlier attempts. also, the flippers feel way better than they used to - can't exactly put it into words, but it's sort of like the difference between slamming the trunk on a really nice car versus slamming the trunk on a crappy car.

so yeah - i still don't like the way their games look, and there are plenty that i'll never try because the license doesn't do anything for me (family guy & big buck hunter in particular), but i'm pleased to report that there are now two stern games with the hench seal of approval.
hench

Postby Arson Smith on Wed May 26, 2010 4:48 pm

hench wrote:also, the flippers feel way better than they used to - can't exactly put it into words, but it's sort of like the difference between slamming the trunk on a really nice car versus slamming the trunk on a crappy car.

I feel you, 100% - way back when, I used to kinda favor that Elvis machine, now I just can't hardly stand to play it at all - mostly because of how the flippers "feel".

I wonder what it would take to fix/"mod" that...?

Surely there has to be some simple physical/mechanical explanation...
Arson Smith
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Arson Smith on Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:06 pm

CP Pinball in South Roxana, IL open again this weekend!

Friday 6pm-midnight, and Saturday 6pm-midnight

$10 cover, play all you want (i.e. no quarters necessary), BYOB

ALSO - Tournament on Saturday morning/afternoon :

Chuck wrote:
CP Pinball Tournament - June 19th

We are having our 4th tourney on June 19th 2010. We will open at 8:30
and begin at 9:30 am. Cost is $20 for the day and will include soda,
water, and pizza for lunch. There are no cash prizes for this tourney,
only possible WPPR points. Format will be head to head till around
1:00 pm, then we will split into 2 divisions and continue until 4pm
and then head to the playoffs.

We have over 70 great properly working games, go to http://www.cppinball.com
to see our place

Thanks
Arson Smith
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby caset on Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:46 pm

lemur68 wrote:I

Also in Portland, the Ground Kontrol arcade has this:

haha, i think i played that very machine! (been a long time since ive been in portland, but i remember playing Kingpin there.)

i played a lot of Monster Mash in Portland as well, fantastic machine. they used to have it at the bar across the street from Avalon Wonderland nickel arcade (where we would inevitably end up hammered playing DDR, lol.)

all time favorite would have to be Medieval Madness. i used to totally own the machine at Thekla in Olympia. completed every task on that machine except beating the damn king of pain (someday. . .)

the machine i play the most these days is Spiderman 3. pretty decent game, i definitely need a bit more practice on it, but plenty of fun multiballs.
caset
the white ho
the white ho

Postby caset on Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:03 pm

oh, and Tales of the Arabian Nights is a pretty awesome machine as well. they used to have it at the bar in Chez What? cafe in Portland (which i hear closed down, bummer.)

caset
the white ho
the white ho

Postby Arson Smith on Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:25 pm

Chuck Sanderson wrote:CP pinball will be open October 8, 9, 15, and 16th this month. We will be open from 6pm-12 midnight.

We got a few new games in including an Ultra Pin Pinball machine that has over 128 different pinball tables. It is like nothing you have ever seen.

Thanks to all of you that responded last month, we had great attendance. Thanks

I am looking to do some T shirts and I am looking for a logo and a cool motto, any input or help would be appreciated.

There is a pinball tournament at Silver Ballroom on October 16th,
and the huge Chicago Pinball Expo from Oct 20-24th.

1) Saint Louis area folks... anyone wanna hit CP Pinball on the 8th and/or 9th?
(will miss the following weekend due to PRF Auktoberfest!)

2) Anybody here want to try their hand at coming up with "a logo and a cool motto" for T-shirts, signage, etc. for CP Pinball? - I know there is plenty of talent on this board...
(I have no idea if he is just looking for someone to whip it up quick and free/cheap, or if he would compensate... PM me or contact Chuck directly if you want any more details )

3) Any of you Chicago area folks interested in hitting up the Pinball Expo (at the Westin Chicago North Shore hotel) the weekend after Auktoberfest? Kathy and I are planning to come back up for that.

If I can get my hands on some of that real good truck driver speed, I intend to play pinball from 6pm Friday evening until whatever time I simply cannot stand up anymore.

We'll be getting a room at the hotel there, so that she can more easily fade back once she's had enough... or nap for a few hours, then come back downstairs for more... whatever... it's my understanding that the "open play" runs from 6pm Friday evening until 5pm Saturday evening, and this will probably be the biggest/best collection of machines that I personally have ever beheld in one location. WAHOO.
Arson Smith
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby hench on Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:39 am

i would argue that chuck's spot is better quality than the north shore pinball expo. the pinball expo has more interesting games (e.g., one-offs, pre-productions, etc), but chuck's games are in just as good condition and there's fewer people so no lines to play particular games. not bagging on the pinball expo - i got to meet pat lawlor and see some cool stuff last year - but it's sort of like, "this would be the most awesome thing ever... if i didn't know about chuck's spot."

you'll have to post a review of the ultrapin table after you've played a few dozen games on it. i'm really curious about "flipper" feel, physics, and glare...
hench

Postby Arson Smith on Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:26 pm

hench wrote:i would argue that chuck's spot is better quality than the north shore pinball expo. the pinball expo has more interesting games (e.g., one-offs, pre-productions, etc), but chuck's games are in just as good condition and there's fewer people so no lines to play particular games. not bagging on the pinball expo - i got to meet pat lawlor and see some cool stuff last year - but it's sort of like, "this would be the most awesome thing ever... if i didn't know about chuck's spot."

I hear ya - for my part I am keen to play some machines that I haven't seen before (or just haven't seen in a long time) because currently if Chuck doesn't have it, then I pretty much probably haven't played it in years and years (if ever). And we've never been to an expo at all before, and since Chuck and pals were all like "Oh you should totally c'mon along" - we were like "Well OK! Let's do this!".

hench wrote:you'll have to post a review of the ultrapin table after you've played a few dozen games on it. i'm really curious about "flipper" feel, physics, and glare...

Here's my take on that thing... it's kind of fun, and for the older, simpler games (where the ball is really just moving in two dimensions anyhow) the simulation is pretty decent - for more recent games with ramps and upper/lower playfields and such, the "depth perception" thing becomes more of an issue, of course.

It is a little weird in that you don't have that feeling of ball connecting with flipper, etc.
(but you can "nudge", and I would presume "tilt" if you go at it hard enough...)

So yeah it's kind of about what you would expect - not too bad of a way to at least "experience" a bunch of older games... maybe that has value if you own one of these and are a regular tournament player - you could maybe be more familiar with the rules of a larger number of machines than you otherwise would just practicing at your local spot...?

(I fired up a game of 'Xenon' for old time's sake, and struggled to remember its rules...)
Arson Smith
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Re: Official EA Forum What Pinball Games Are You Playing? Th

Postby Arson Smith on Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:34 pm

BUMP FOR TONIGHT, SUCKAS: http://www.pinballexpo.net/

Westin Chicago North Shore Hotel - 601 N. Milwaukee Ave - Wheeling, IL

"Exhibit Hall" open from 6PM tonight (Friday) until 5PM tomorrow (Saturday)

Kathy and I are en route now...

Anyone possibly interested in hitting this with us, feel free to PM/call/text/etc

Also open again from 11pm Saturday night until "official close" at 4pm on Sunday...

(Yes, there are SEMINARS; No, we are not attending any...)
Arson Smith
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion