home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Fearsome & mammoth, only allowable PRF STYLE & BEAUTY THREAD

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Fearsome & mammoth, only allowable PRF STYLE & BEAUTY TH

Postby ldopa_chicago on Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:18 pm

Unrealized utility / brutalist (aging) hipster
jimmy two hands wrote:Jam econo for fuck's sake.

I play guitar and act tougher than I am in Fake Limbs.
I played bass in Burn Permits.
ldopa_chicago
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Nico Adie on Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:19 pm

Smart Gemütlichkeit
Nico Adie

Postby tallchris on Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:20 pm

Homely lumberjack
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby bumble on Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:27 pm

Librarian trainee.
bumble
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Boombats on Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:05 pm

bumble wrote:Librarian trainee.

schwing
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Dudley on Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:13 pm

Slovenly Igor
Seby wrote:How does the sting of marginalisation taste now, you pick-using oppressors?
Dudley
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby ::: on Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:39 am

Isabelle Gall wrote:Allison Reynolds.

<3

(I have never once seen the movie The Breakfast Club. Even I find that hard to believe, but it's true.)
:::
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Adam Sr on Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:22 am

::: wrote:
Isabelle Gall wrote:Allison Reynolds.

<3

(I have never once seen the movie The Breakfast Club. Even I find that hard to believe, but it's true.)

SPOILER:
It's a sartorial Old Yeller for Allison.

Adam Sr
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Ben Abraham on Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:17 am

PF Flyers put out this US made sneaker. They cost twice as much as my Sambas, so I'm hoping they last for the better part of a decade and just as comfortable. From what I've read they're supposed to be very comfortable unlike the standard Chuck Taylors.

While New Balance makes a US line, most of their line looks like "dad sneakers"
Ben Abraham

Postby Ben Abraham on Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:17 am

PF Flyers put out this US made sneaker. They cost twice as much as my Sambas, so I'm hoping they last for the better part of a decade and just as comfortable. From what I've read they're supposed to be very comfortable unlike the standard Chuck Taylors.

While New Balance makes a US line, most of their line looks like "dad sneakers".
Ben Abraham

Postby ::: on Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:22 pm

Corcoran Men's Field Work Boot

bootz.JPG
bootz.JPG (32.19 KiB) Viewed 1547 times

I don't need another pair of boots I don't need another pair of boots I don't need another pair of boots
:::
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby enframed on Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:20 pm

So in my never-ending quest for after-shave lotion that contains alcohol I recently found a new one, Terre De Hermes. It smells great despite it's being heavy with patchouli. The problem is that the hole is so big that too much comes out when trying to splash it. Fortunately, I have some bitters bottles that have a perfect little spout for decanting a more precise, and smaller, amount. Highly recommended.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Madman Munt on Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:45 pm

enframed wrote:Terre De Hermes.

I found a mini of the EdT of this in a bar I was working at years ago.

Anyway, about a month or so back, I saw a giant (200ml) bottle of it in the window of a charity shop. It's undeniably nice, but perhaps little too polite for me. I ended up flipping it to a Euro-trucker called Bogdan (Hello Bogdan!) who was very happy, ecstatic even, with it.
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby NewDarkAge on Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:44 am

Right I'm entering my twenties and getting bored of wearing a t shirt and jeans every day with an occasional casual shirt interlude. What else can a dude wear?
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.
NewDarkAge

Postby Mason on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:19 am

NewDarkAge wrote:Right I'm entering my twenties and getting bored of wearing a t shirt and jeans every day with an occasional casual shirt interlude. What else can a dude wear?

I am neither Style nor Beauty but:

- Oxford cloth button downs. One of the few things you can year-round, in any social situation, and neither look nor feel shitty. The darker the colour, the more casual it "is." Pullovers/cardigans as the season requires.

- I never learned to think about pants because forever it was Dark Blue Jeans, Done. I'm still mad that I can't wear jeans everywhere forever. But otherwise, it turns out there are non-jean pants that aren't the no-iron Office Dad shit I'd always feared. So during the work week I'll wear (decent) chinos, maybe (decent) cords in the fall and winter, all pretty much olive or medium gray. Seems to go with anything I wear up top. No khaki, ever.

- A good workwear-type jacket is most likely to go well with things that aren't workwear, more so than jeans probably. I'm still huge on my Levi's Commuter denim jacket, though I also miss the field jacket that got lifted out of my car.

- A pair of ankle boots that maybe aren't too rugged. Something like chukkas or Chelsea boots (though I personally think Chelsea boots are boring and for smooth plastic Lego people). A solid, cheap-enough move is the Clarks Desert Boot, esp. if you look beyond the sand/suede ones.

None of this is inventive, but I save that kind of enthusiasm for other parts of my life. I don't have a ton of clothes but this point I can pull things pretty much randomly and look like a put-together person, though not a fussy or "dressy" one (huge difference between dressing well and "dressing up"). Still happy to wear flannels, tees, and Vans much of the time, though.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby sitwell on Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:05 pm

NewDarkAge wrote:Right I'm entering my twenties and getting bored of wearing a t shirt and jeans every day with an occasional casual shirt interlude. What else can a dude wear?

Button down shirts instead of t-shirts is the big thing. If it's hot roll the sleeves up. Black socks instead of white is another. No athletic shoes unless you're doing athletic things, though I totally give a pass to Vans and Chucks. Jeans are fine, but probably get some chinos as well. I guess my fashion is kind of like be funky in one way or two but then the rest should be pretty classic. Basically, though, if you feel good in it it's good. Just make sure things fit right.
sitwell
denny dias
denny dias

Postby Ben Abraham on Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:04 am

Change twenties to thirties and I am also in a similar situation.

At my current job, I dress a lot more formally than I used to.

I like Oxfords because they're not too formal and you an wear them with jeans or something. There's a Japanese shirt company called Kamakura shirts. They fit me perfectly both at the neck and sleeves and they're made of high quality fabrics, buttons, and stitching. Not the cheapest options, but probably the best bargain for your money. They use Japanese measurements but I find that they are better suited to my body whereas many US/Western sized shirts are either too tight in the neck or too long in the sleeves.

Uniqlo stuff is also good multi-purpose minimalist shirts. I am also a fan of their slim fit chinos.

For shoes, Allen Edmonds has outlet sales or factory seconds that I've bought and they're great; solidly built and comfortable. I like cap-toe oxfords. AE will also rebuild worn out shoes so long as there isn't a major issue. I also have a pair of Chelsea boots by a English company called Loake which are a bit more economical, but I've been very happy with them. I read in some style blog that you should match your belt with a similar color to your shoes, so I do this.

I've been a fan of older Barbour jackets that can be found second hand on eBay for cheap. They are very durable/servicable so long as you apply some wax before the colder months and as needed. Pair with a shawl collar cardigan for extra warmth. Schott coats / Navy issue peacoats are my go to for the coldest days, although they might not last in Chicago levels of cold. Just get outwear that can breathe. I find unvented polyester lined shirts/jackets to be super stuffy.

A freshly laundered band t-shirt and clean black jeans is what I am happiest in, but if you want to dress up, do it with style.
Ben Abraham

Postby Twilight Sparkle on Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:51 am

At the moment only doing tattered ass Rick Owens and some good tees.

NewDarkAge wrote:What else can a dude wear?

A dress.
Twilight Sparkle
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:50 am

There is a running joke that when I have to dress up, I swap out the T-shirt for a black button-down shirt instead and that's me done. I call it "private function shirt" as I wear it when I perform at weddings or corporate events.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Antero on Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:16 am

Mason wrote:

I am neither Style nor Beauty but:

- Oxford cloth button downs. One of the few things you can year-round, in any social situation, and neither look nor feel shitty. The darker the colour, the more casual it "is." Pullovers/cardigans as the season requires.

I have replaced my entire casual shirt wardrobe with white OCBDs (aside from a couple linen shirts for when it's hot as fuck). If I didn't wear a suit five days a week - a normal dress shirt is better for court - I'd probably wear nothing else.

Get good ones (Brooks Bros, Mercer, Kamakura), don't bother ironing them, beat the shit out of them. They look better with some wear.

So during the work week I'll wear (decent) chinos, maybe (decent) cords in the fall and winter, all pretty much olive or medium gray. Seems to go with anything I wear up top. No khaki, ever

Solid advice. Moleskins or flannels are also good - you can look extremely expensive but also super comfy in grey wool flannel dress trousers. Linen pants are fun too, if you live in a desert like I do.

- A pair of ankle boots that maybe aren't too rugged. Something like chukkas or Chelsea boots (though I personally think Chelsea boots are boring and for smooth plastic Lego people). A solid, cheap-enough move is the Clarks Desert Boot, esp. if you look beyond the sand/suede ones.

Suggestion: something nicer, but in suede. Spray it with waterproofing and you're pretty much goddamn set. I got a good pair of dark brown suede chukkas from Meermin that have a nicely shaped less-casual last, literally hiked over a mountain in them.

Wolverine 1000 Mile Boots are also a really goddamn good set of shoes, and they come in a lot of different colors and materials. Good for jeans or heavier trousers.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion