home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Bandcamp is a holy shit hell fuck bonkers crazy go nuts tool

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Bandcamp is a holy shit hell fuck bonkers crazy go nuts

Postby 154 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:11 am

BUMP. Go buy some stuff today! How cool would it be for BC to make a 6 figure donation to the ACLU..

Some good recs here. Will be digging into the Imelda Marcos this morning for sure.

*side note to some other bands: $10+ digital albums are really testing my generosity, and these particular ones aren't full donations..
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Boombats on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:18 am

Broke AF but just bought the new Blind Idiot God album, so good
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby jimmy spako on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:46 am

This Fact list has some cool/weird Bandcamp shit to check out today too if you like.
Isabelle Gall wrote:'Do not go smoothly into that dark night'
jimmy spako
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Ike on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:53 am

I went buck wild today. Felt good.
Ike
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby 154 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:28 pm

Several reports (and firsthand experience) that their page is running very slow today (a good thing!) Maybe help 'em out by staying off there once you've bought/dl'd your tunes.

Postby tallchris on Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:50 pm

YO. You buy anything from the Burn Permits or Police Teeth Bandcamps, and not only will all money we get go to the ACLU, but I'll match your whole sale as an additional donation to the ACLU!

https://burnpermits.bandcamp.com/
https://policeteeth.bandcamp.com/
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby noise&light on Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:12 pm

I just spent a bunch of money but it looks like I need to spend more. No regret! This is a great cause and a ridiculously simple way to be effective in the fight against insanity.
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
noise&light

Postby cneutron on Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:13 pm

Hey! This is all old news for everybody here but I was disappointed that so little of the coverage talked to the whys of participation, so I wrote this thing on the Huffington Post

about this wonderful thing.

some fun quotes!
"If you wanna make this DIY shit go, you gotta fucking step up." -Russell Emerson Hall
Conan Neutron & the Secret Friends = Music band: Neutron/Ash/Crover.
Protonic Reversal = Radio Show/Podcast
Radio NOPE = 24/7 Kickass tunes/talk
cneutron
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby cneutron on Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:14 pm

yeah, and *ALL* Conan Neutron & the Secret Friends stuff goes to the ACLU today. Including physical purchases (minus postage).

I felt like i've already said that, but it bears repeating.

holy moly, so much stuff to buy!
"If you wanna make this DIY shit go, you gotta fucking step up." -Russell Emerson Hall
cneutron

Postby wotown on Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:41 pm

$90 spent on friends' recommendations, PRF buddies' stuff that I hadn't bought yet, a couple fave bands who had stuff on my shopping list, and a band my daughter loves.

Also sent my receipt to a dude from Cartoon Network who's offered to match donations.

I'm already thinking of a bunch more. I might need to go back in later, too.
I play bass in Body Futures
I sing and play whatever's needed in The Five Mod Four
I rarely use Twitter
wotown
baboon
baboon

Postby jss on Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:07 pm

just reactivated my long-dormant account to say hello (managing editor @ bandcamp daily here); a few personal recommendations from me and some other staffers are here. https://modernistwitch.wordpress.com/20 ... bannowall/

and seriously, keep checking the list of artists and labels donating in-kind/matching/donating to other human rights orgs. we have done little else on the editorial team other than field additions today. there are now over 400 artists and labels participating. it is insane. and great. and insane. and i've gotten teary-eyed three times already because i'm so grateful.
jss
assclown
assclown

Postby scntfc on Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:26 pm

this has been fantastic.

@ jss... thank you! and give my thanks to the entire bandcamp team for making this happen. as soon as i heard the plan i started rallying a few of my fellow game composers to take part, so it's really great to see so many others joining in.

fwiw this is me: https://scntfc.bandcamp.com/. i'm also matching anything that folks pay beyond the base price, so i'll be a combination of happy/screwed if someone decides to donate any more than a grand.
scntfc
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby frankcostanzaslawyer on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:45 pm

Jumping in to say digital sales at notttt.bandcamp.com are pledged to the ACLU through the end of the month, with the exception of the album A Holding, which is going to CAIR. @Jss, thank you and bandcamp so much. You guys make day to day operations so much easier for independent artists, I'm so glad to find out you're on the side of good.
frankcostanzaslawyer
adjutant
adjutant

Postby cneutron on Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:22 pm

What an incredible thing this was!
cneutron

Postby jimmy two hands on Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:25 pm

I think I spent 150 dollars yesterday just getting music from my friends (and Om, because I need Om in my collection) and I don't have all my friends' music yet, so I think I will be buying at least one album a week on the bandcamps for the near future.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby frankcostanzaslawyer on Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:53 am

I'm curious how much was spent on bands who specifically pledged their profits as well. I made more than I usually do and my friend's much better known band who didn't pledge sold like one merch item, so I'm optimistic that that might be indicative of a larger trend.
frankcostanzaslawyer
adjutant
adjutant

Postby scntfc on Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:33 pm

i'm hoping bandcamp collects and publishes the info on label/artist income as well. i'm donating everything from feb 1st until now, and am currently at about $400 (which includes me matching every "pay more" dollar). definitely more than my average four day span.
scntfc

Postby Bernardo on Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:25 pm

a lot of very cool records in this one:

http://billlaswell.bandcamp.com
Bernardo

Postby cneutron on Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:25 pm

I can't believe I forgot to bump the post for the Trans Justice day of action, but what an incredible thing!

Bandcamp is a platform for artistic expression, and all manner of variance in experience and identity, including gender and sexuality, is welcome here. We support our LGBT+ users and staff, and we stand against any person or group that would see them further marginalized. This includes the current U.S. administration, and its recent capricious declaration that transgender troops will no longer be able to serve in the military. That this announcement was motivated in part to help fund the border wall exposes it as part of the administration’s cynical, discriminatory agenda.

In response, we will be donating 100% of our share of every sale today, August 4th (from midnight to midnight Pacific Time) to the Transgender Law Center, a nonprofit organization that works tirelessly to change law, policy, and culture for the more equitable. TLC does critical policy advocacy and litigation on multiple fronts, fights for healthcare for trans veterans, defends incarcerated trans people from abuse in prisons and detention centers, supports trans immigrants, and helps trans youth tell their stories and build communities.

When an Executive Order was issued earlier this year barring immigrants and refugees from seven Middle Eastern countries from entering the United States, we held a wildly successful fundraiser for the ACLU. We hope you’ll join us in now doing the same in support of trans rights. To participate as a fan, simply purchase music through Bandcamp today and we’ll donate our share of the sale to TLC. To participate as an artist or label, send some or all of your share of today’s sales directly to TLC here, and let us know your plan in the comments below so that we can help spread the word. Since our announcement, over 200 bands and labels have joined us in donating their share of proceeds to TLC. You can see that list here.

—Bandcamp Staff

and the follow up:
We want to thank everyone who participated in today’s fundraiser for the Transgender Law Center. Bandcamp’s community of artists, fans, and labels once again stood with us to enthusiastically voice a commitment to equal rights for all, and oppose the marginalization of the LGBT+ community.

Bandcamp LivefeedThe live sales feed on Bandcamp’s home page, at around noon today.
With a few hours left to go (the party ends at midnight PST), we estimate that fans will have bought nearly $700,000 worth of music today. All of our share of that (~12%) goes directly to TLC. The remainder goes to the labels and artists, many of whom will be donating their share of sales as well. Artists and labels pledged their support so quickly that it was often difficult to keep up, but we’d like to extend a deep, heartfelt thanks to ANTI-, ATO, Merge, Kill Rock Stars, Sub Pop, Hyperdub, Polyvinyl, Car Seat Headrest, clipping., Frankie Cosmos, 12XU, Bella Union, Caribou, Deathwish, Exploding in Sound, Hardly Art, and the hundreds more who joined us. Your support and commitment is inspiring.

We also would like to thank NPR, Spin, Pitchfork, Metal Sucks, AVClub, Billboard, Invisible Oranges, Noisey, Fast Company, Newsweek, Forbes, TLC itself, and Cyndi Lauper for spreading the word about the fundraiser, and helping to raise awareness about this issue.

We did hear from a few individuals who suggested that we “stay neutral” and “just sell music.” To those people we say this: an attack against any marginalized community is an attack against all of us. We believe we have a moral obligation to oppose such attacks, and we will always happily embrace the amazing opportunity we have to rally others to do the same.

cneutron

Postby dakron on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:35 am

I made this micro-album partially inspired by Big Black, Helmet, The Jesus Lizard, Shellac and Slint: https://xommusic.bandcamp.com/album/kron

The songs are bit more mathy than most of the influences above.

Let me know what you all think.

It's free to download if you dig it.
dakron

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion