home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Underrated or Underappreciated Drummers

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Underrated or Underappreciated Drummers

Postby Dave N. on Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:05 pm

Rachel Carns of Kicking Giant/The Need fame.

Dave N.
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby numberthirty on Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:49 pm

Scott -

If you haven't heard the Lemonheads' album The Lemonheads, Bill and Karl are the drums/bass on that record. You can pick out that it's Bill but, it's not exactly what you'd expect.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby SecondEdition on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:27 pm

scott wrote:I don't know if I can think of a drummer with a better balance of straight up rocking (other songs moreso, not this one), super technical (this one) and who can be both dead solid spot on and almost mechanically precise, but at the same time still feel unhinged. It's like a paradox wrapped in a mystery wrapped in AWESOME. I never hear anyone talk about him. Shame.

It could have to do with My War. That may be the best-known record Bill's played drums on, and it's probably his worst performance on an album. I also agree that Stevenson's underrated as hell, but My War does have pretty leaden drumming on it, and that might be one reason why people don't talk about him nearly enough.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition

Postby crustandcrumb on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:36 am

tyler trent. i'm sure he's been brought up already, but it's worth repeating.

all you have to watch is about 50 seconds of this clip to get a cursory (but magnificent) idea. then extrapolate out into infinity.

or just watch the rest of the clip.

Sam wrote:i'm going to bootleg my own set with a Portastudio and upload/convert to .flac, burn and wrap the CD in a giant gatefold usb stick
crustandcrumb
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby AnthonyCinder on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:02 pm

SecondEdition wrote:
scott wrote:I don't know if I can think of a drummer with a better balance of straight up rocking (other songs moreso, not this one), super technical (this one) and who can be both dead solid spot on and almost mechanically precise, but at the same time still feel unhinged. It's like a paradox wrapped in a mystery wrapped in AWESOME. I never hear anyone talk about him. Shame.

It could have to do with My War. That may be the best-known record Bill's played drums on, and it's probably his worst performance on an album. I also agree that Stevenson's underrated as hell, but My War does have pretty leaden drumming on it, and that might be one reason why people don't talk about him nearly enough.

In fairness, I think that album finds Stevenson adapting to a style the Ginn continually changed (slowed). You have this 18 year old (or thereabouts) who was probably ecstatic to join his favorite punk band. "But hey dude, guess what. We're going to slow everything down and play sludge metal." I think that's a tall order for a young, caffeinated drummist.

Plus, they didn't even have a regular bass player on that album. Imagine tracking drums with a disapproving Ginn hovering over you, and no Duke or Kira comrade to help you on your journey.

I love My War, and I think it's a testament to Bill's ability to adapt. Listen to him on The Process of Weeding Out and tell me he didn't nail it.
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
AnthonyCinder
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby AnthonyCinder on Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:09 pm

numberthirty wrote:
scott wrote:A while back, Rich saw me wearing an ALL shirt. We talked about Bill's drumming for a while. I'm pretty sure Grohl said Bill's work in Black Flag was the blueprint for his work on that QOTSA record.

If by this, Grohl means he completely ripped off Bill's drumming, then yes. I can't remember which QOTSA track it is, somewhere around 5 or 6, but man, it is a shameless rip off of the "Slip It In" beat. Cool that Grohl cited Billy.

Has Grohl ever admitted that the beat on the "My Hero" song is a dead rip off of Crover's beat on "Night Goat" by the Melvins?
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

AnthonyCinder

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:24 pm

anybody mention ben daughtry from squirrelbait yet?

I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby numberthirty on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:50 pm

AnthonyCinder wrote:If by this, Grohl means he completely ripped off Bill's drumming, then yes. I can't remember which QOTSA track it is, somewhere around 5 or 6, but man, it is a shameless rip off of the "Slip It In" beat. Cool that Grohl cited Billy.

One thing we have in common is a love of early Black Flag. In one of the songs that we recorded - I think it's called 'Song For The Dead' there's a nod to an early Black Flag record: the drum riff is me paying tribute to Bill Stevenson.
numberthirty

Postby AnthonyCinder on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:55 pm

numberthirty wrote:
AnthonyCinder wrote:If by this, Grohl means he completely ripped off Bill's drumming, then yes. I can't remember which QOTSA track it is, somewhere around 5 or 6, but man, it is a shameless rip off of the "Slip It In" beat. Cool that Grohl cited Billy.

One thing we have in common is a love of early Black Flag. In one of the songs that we recorded - I think it's called 'Song For The Dead' there's a nod to an early Black Flag record: the drum riff is me paying tribute to Bill Stevenson.

AnthonyCinder

Postby numberthirty on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:58 pm

So yeah. It is nice to see someone bring up what was probably the most reserved element of that era of the band.

Back to not geeking out about it.
numberthirty

Postby AnthonyCinder on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:18 pm

Seb Thomson from Trans Am.

The way he comes back in at 4:52 is one of my favorite drum moments. Love his fills, especially on this record.

AnthonyCinder

Postby Dave N. on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:53 pm

AnthonyCinder wrote:Seb Thomson from Trans Am.

Could not agree more. Possibly my favorite drummer.
Dave N.

Postby Dave//Eksvplot on Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:04 pm

I saw Trans Am once. He is indeed underrated and was the best thing about them.
madmanmunt wrote:You think Michelangelo Antonioni popped out of the womb with Monica Vitti in one hand and the reels of L'Avventura in the other?
Dave//Eksvplot
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Re: Underrated Drummers

Postby Tiny Despot on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:48 pm

whoisalhedges wrote:
Teacher's Pet wrote:I think Bim has a new band called Obnox.

No, I will not Google verify that right this second.

He plays guitar!

(not as good as he drums)

Obnox is some GOOD shit, though.

Obnox is some "arooo?" shit, at first.

But I love me some Obnox now.

I love me some Bim.

He called me a "melvin' a couple years ago at the Columbus "Rock and roll and drink shitty overpriced Pabst until you are quite sure you're gonna vomit but then see the state of the port-o-lets and decide swallowing your own vomit is preferable oh and did I mention it was hotter than the actual surface of the actual sun that day Parking Lot Blowout". He was trying to help me get to a spot where my 5ft self could see basically anything at all, a buncha dudes left the spot right in front of him so he turned around to get my attn but I was looking elsewhere. I was all "dude, tha fuck?!" and he says "Shoulda been paying attn ya melvin".

Ain't nobody called nobody a melvin since like 7th grade. Made my day. :D
Tiny Despot
courtesan
courtesan

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:48 pm

Tony Buck. The drummer from one of my top three favorite bands, The Necks. In my opinion, this dude should go down in the books as being one of the best there ever was next to Elvin Jones and Max Roach. A true genius behind the skins. He's probably the only drummer (other than Chris Corsano) that I could listen to a record of without any other instruments accompanying him repeatedly.

AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby AnthonyCinder on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:30 pm

AnthonyVillalobos wrote:Tony Buck. The drummer from one of my top three favorite bands, The Necks. In my opinion, this dude should go down in the books as being one of the best there ever was next to Elvin Jones and Max Roach. A true genius behind the skins. He's probably the only drummer (other than Chris Corsano) that I could listen to a record of without any other instruments accompanying him repeatedly.

Nice. Love the Necks.

AnthonyCinder

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:31 pm

R nom listening to Love's Out Here

has anybody mentioned George Suranovich yet?
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby 154 on Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:23 pm

Tony Aimone [edit: called him Maimone, as in the bassist for Pere Ubu, oops] from Nonagon. Just incredibly precise and hard hitting with unique accents all over the place. I can even overlook that he played in a somewhat famous ska punk band!

I've been rediscovering 90s Trans Am lately and he's indeed great, though it doesn't seem like much of a secret.

Postby numberthirty on Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:34 pm

154 wrote:Tony Aimone [edit: called him Maimone, as in the bassist for Pere Ubu, oops] from Nonagon. Just incredibly precise and hard hitting with unique accents all over the place. I can even overlook that he played in a somewhat famous ska punk band!

I've been rediscovering 90s Trans Am lately and he's indeed great, though it doesn't seem like much of a secret.

I was thinking the same thing last night.
numberthirty

Postby TheMattJones88 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:37 am

Jason Tait from the Weakerthans is a fantastic drummer. The beat he does in the chorus here is fantastic.

phpBB [media]
TheMattJones88
padre
padre

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion