home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

The Modern Concert Experience

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: The Modern Concert Experience

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Mon May 17, 2010 9:26 pm

tocharian wrote:
Control Z wrote:I only go to about three shows a year any more, so don't listen to me.

Can I just propose that Fuck Buttons be one of these shows? Ambient electronica + noise = two great tastes that taste great together, and I'm still savoring their show from last week.

The new record's legit. I still gotta cop that one.
AnthonyVillalobos
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby DrAwkward on Mon May 17, 2010 9:34 pm

tocharian wrote:
Auntie Ovipositor wrote:Image

Now that's fucked up. As much as I love photography, I can barely ever bring myself to take pictures because I feel like it takes me out of the experience. Jesus, do these people tweet their orgasms too?

Where would this thread be if not for the person who photographed all these people taking photographs? A lot less steeped in irony, that's for sure.
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby Mason on Mon May 17, 2010 11:26 pm

I've taken to using disposable cameras when I feel like taking photos at shows. Having to look through the viewfinder means the camera stays within my personal space. It also means there's no illuminated screen to distract and bother people. Plus, YAY FILM.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby nihil on Tue May 18, 2010 1:06 am

tocharian wrote:Can I just propose that Fuck Buttons be one of these shows? Ambient electronica + noise = two great tastes that taste great together, and I'm still savoring their show from last week.

That sounds really interesting. Ambient electronica and noise? Wow.
nihil
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby bigc on Tue May 18, 2010 8:01 am

Marsupialized wrote:Just because you think you are hot shit and know what everyone else should be doing with themselves at all times does not mean you should open your fucking yapper, that's all I am saying. Might bite you in the ass.
Ironic, no?

Settle down for chrissakes. All anyone's saying is that it probably didn't call for a whammer in the face.

Good to see you've calmed down since then, though.
bigc
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Control Z on Tue May 18, 2010 8:24 am

tocharian wrote:Can I just propose that Fuck Buttons be one of these shows? Ambient electronica + noise = two great tastes that taste great together, and I'm still savoring their show from last week.

I'll keep this mind, thanks.

The factors that go into deciding which shows I attend these days are many, and include: how much I like the band; whether I personally know any band members; how much I like any band members known to me; the ticket price; how far away from my home the show is; how rare a chance to see this band is; how I'm feeling at any given moment; how busy and stressed I am that week; whether the Mr. wants to go, or can be persuaded to go; how the Mr. is feeling at any given moment; whether any other homies want to and are willing to go; what the venue is like; what I predict the audience is going to be like; whether or not I have to deal with Ticketmaster; and about 20 other intangibles.

My favorite shows of the 2000s, off the top of my head:

Boredoms / XBXRX / Yowie, summer 2006, Turf Club, St. Paul
Sunn 0))), spring 2006, Walker Art Center
Kraftwerk, spring 2008, The Myth, Maplewood, Minnesota (!)
LCD Soundsystem, fall 2005, First Avenue
David Byrne, summer 2009, State Theater
Sonic Youth, summer 2000, Walker Art Center sculpture garden
Uzeda and Shellac, fall 2006, Varsity Theater
Melvins, 2000-ish, First Avenue
Sonic Youth, 2002, First Avenue
Mission of Burma, 2002-ish, First Avenue

Gang of Four were meh the first time I saw them in 2005 and really good the second time, but on both occasions the intense, nonstop, literal déjà vu of it all freaked me out too much to be fun. The kids seemed to love it, though.

Edit: The Fall and Stnnng were great in '06 at the Varsity, much to my surprise in the case of the Fall at that particular moment in their (actually his) career.
Control Z
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby turnbullac on Tue May 18, 2010 9:00 am

Remember when kids used to bring their backpacks to emo shows? Or like sit on the edge of the stage and read a book while the opening band was playing?

I also remember going to see Vic Chesnutt at the knitting factory and everyone was sitting down on the floor like it was storytime.
turnbullac
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby geiginni on Tue May 18, 2010 9:36 am

I don't think of these experiences as described as "concerts". They're generally just "shows". A bar or club with a stage lets a bunch of people in for a fee and they can do whatever the fuck they want within reason. That doesn't bother me. I'm at a bar. It's loud as fuck. You wanna text? Take pictures? Talk loudly? Read? Make out with your sig other? Heckle? I don't give a fuck. This is a bar!

Shows at the Metro or Aragon or whatever? I don't go to those. Too expensive and generally I'm not interested in trying to revive nostalgia for a group I loved when I was 16, or some hip flavor of the moment who've gotten too big for their own good.

Concerts proper? You show up, and it's in a theater. Ushers take or scan your ticket. You take a seat. They ask you to turn off your phones beforehand. They also tell you not to take pictures or recordings. There are lozenges so you don't cough (and if it's Keith Jarret you're seeing, you better not fucking cough!). You sit quietly and listen to the performance. There will be an intermission so you have 15 minutes to get a drink of water and pee. You clap politely after a solo, or perhaps the expectation is you'll wait until the end of the entire work to applaud. Then it's over and everyone shuffles politely out together.

That is a "concert". Do you really want a "show" to be like that? I don't.
geiginni
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Control Z on Tue May 18, 2010 10:01 am

geiginni wrote:I don't think of these experiences as described as "concerts". They're generally just "shows". A bar or club with a stage lets a bunch of people in for a fee and they can do whatever the fuck they want within reason. That doesn't bother me. I'm at a bar. It's loud as fuck. You wanna text? Take pictures? Talk loudly? Read? Make out with your sig other? Heckle? I don't give a fuck. This is a bar!

Shows at the Metro or Aragon or whatever? I don't go to those. Too expensive and generally I'm not interested in trying to revive nostalgia for a group I loved when I was 16, or some hip flavor of the moment who've gotten too big for their own good.

Concerts proper? You show up, and it's in a theater. Ushers take or scan your ticket. You take a seat. They ask you to turn off your phones beforehand. They also tell you not to take pictures or recordings. There are lozenges so you don't cough (and if it's Keith Jarret you're seeing, you better not fucking cough!). You sit quietly and listen to the performance. There will be an intermission so you have 15 minutes to get a drink of water and pee. You clap politely after a solo, or perhaps the expectation is you'll wait until the end of the entire work to applaud. Then it's over and everyone shuffles politely out together.

I've seen some great "shows" in auditoriums, under the "concert" rubric you've set out here. Bands I've seen at the State Theater, Northrop Auditorium, the Chicago Auditorium, and the auditorium at the College of St. Catherine: Roxy Music, Neil Young, Sonic Youth, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, David Byrne, Sinead O'Connor, and one or two others.

Vast arena-style shows (Target Center, Rosemont Horizon, etc) I have enjoyed: Um. Oasis (by accident). David Bowie. Montrose and Slade. Elton John. That's all I can remember right now. I saw several others in huge venues and didn't like them.
Control Z
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby Arson Smith on Tue May 18, 2010 10:19 am

turnbullac wrote:Remember when kids used to bring their backpacks to emo shows?

Everyone knows that is to cushion the fall, should they happen to slip on their tears.
My mind, it's a terrible diskette.
Arson Smith
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby cerebralheadtrip on Tue May 18, 2010 10:49 am

geiginni wrote:I don't think of these experiences as described as "concerts". They're generally just "shows". A bar or club with a stage lets a bunch of people in for a fee and they can do whatever the fuck they want within reason. That doesn't bother me. I'm at a bar. It's loud as fuck. You wanna text? Take pictures? Talk loudly? Read? Make out with your sig other? Heckle? I don't give a fuck. This is a bar!

Theres an obvious middle ground here you're neglecting. I see tons of shows at bars, or venues built around bars (Empty Bottle, Hideout, etc) where I still pay good money for a ticket and an am in attendance for the express purpose of seeing the slotted band. 80-90% of the time I usually dont give a fuck if people are talking by the bar or way in back because whoever Im seeing is playing loud. But I've also attended shows held in tight quarters where the music is purposely quiet, and people are yabbering away completely oblivious to the fact that theres something going on around them that they paid to watch, and that they are ruining the experience for everyone else, performer included. Ambient, jazz, acoustic...obviously these types of shows call for a different type of behavior than a punk rock gig. I was at a recent Necks show where 3 or 4 people insisted on talking over the entire performance. Ill never understand it.
cerebralheadtrip
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby givemenoughrope on Tue May 18, 2010 12:34 pm

There were three old ladys hacking up lungs during every fermata rest of Part's Miserere. I punch them in the face and the ushers high fived me. How it's done.
vockins wrote:So it's like the Finnegan's Wake of Super Bowl ads.
givemenoughrope

Re: How it's done.

Postby betch on Wed May 19, 2010 2:15 am

You should've crushed their windpipes. Punching throat = good. Generally hitting face = bad. Most of a person's face is more skull than tissue to hit. You barely do anything aiming for the surface of the face. Make fast, successive blows to the throat. A good well-landed jab will instantly debilitate and incapacitate. Hurts like a bitch and makes the throat spasm. Hard to do anything when you're choking.

The head hosts most of the sensory equipment humans have and instinctively we try to protect it more than any other body part, especially the front and sides. When we block, it will more than likely be around the face. It's harder to get the neck out of the way of a punch than the face because of the way natural reflexes work. Also, your fists won't hurt as much and there's less chance you'll break your hand.

Focus on explosive offense. If you're the one that goes in guns blazing, you won't have to worry too much about defense. Don't try to exchange punches. Make your attacks count. Be precise and efficient. Steady your feet so you don't fall to the ground if you take a hit. Keep your eyes right below their neck—you'll be able to see every move they're going to make. Look for openings and react. Weak areas are what you want. Bring the fight to them. You go in fast and hard. No hesitations. Most fights are lost because you get hit first, freak out, lose momentum, and get your ass beat.

Punch their throat really hard. A lot. PUNCH THEM UNTIL THEY ARE DEFEATED. Learn how to punch and not just flail your arms around wildly in a blind rage. Lean into it and twist your body into it to give your punch the most force behind it. If you do that, your fists will travel further and faster and cause more damage. You want your left foot forward, swing with your right arm, and keep it straight. Twist with your shoulders and waist. A punch reaches its full force shortly before full extension. If you don't step into the punch, it fucks up the execution. Make sure to connect with the punch and not just push with the punch.

Fights are all about who can take it further. When they start trash-talking, admit they're right and offer to suck off their dangly parts. Go straight for their diapers. Do all that you can to tear them off. This will surprise them. They will find it unnerving and get completely flustered, forgetting all else. Moan every time they touch you. Then when they're weirded-out and not expecting it, begin smashing their throat.

Real fights are sloppy and disorienting. Stay calm. Be focused and alert. It all comes down to who is willing to dish out more pain than they can receive and who can take more of a beating without pussying out. You really don't know anything about yourself until you punch the shit out of an old lady.
betch
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby Jason A on Wed May 19, 2010 7:53 am

betch wrote:You should've crushed their windpipes. Punching throat = good. Generally hitting face = bad. Most of a person's face is more skull than tissue to hit. You barely do anything aiming for the surface of the face. Make fast, successive blows to the throat. A good well-landed jab will instantly debilitate and incapacitate. Hurts like a bitch and makes the throat spasm. Hard to do anything when you're choking.

The head hosts most of the sensory equipment humans have and instinctively we try to protect it more than any other body part, especially the front and sides. When we block, it will more than likely be around the face. It's harder to get the neck out of the way of a punch than the face because of the way natural reflexes work. Also, your fists won't hurt as much and there's less chance you'll break your hand.

Focus on explosive offense. If you're the one that goes in guns blazing, you won't have to worry too much about defense. Don't try to exchange punches. Make your attacks count. Be precise and efficient. Steady your feet so you don't fall to the ground if you take a hit. Keep your eyes right below their neck—you'll be able to see every move they're going to make. Look for openings and react. Weak areas are what you want. Bring the fight to them. You go in fast and hard. No hesitations. Most fights are lost because you get hit first, freak out, lose momentum, and get your ass beat.

Punch their throat really hard. A lot. PUNCH THEM UNTIL THEY ARE DEFEATED. Learn how to punch and not just flail your arms around wildly in a blind rage. Lean into it and twist your body into it to give your punch the most force behind it. If you do that, your fists will travel further and faster and cause more damage. You want your left foot forward, swing with your right arm, and keep it straight. Twist with your shoulders and waist. A punch reaches its full force shortly before full extension. If you don't step into the punch, it fucks up the execution. Make sure to connect with the punch and not just push with the punch.

Fights are all about who can take it further. When they start trash-talking, admit they're right and offer to suck off their dangly parts. Go straight for their diapers. Do all that you can to tear them off. This will surprise them. They will find it unnerving and get completely flustered, forgetting all else. Moan every time they touch you. Then when they're weirded-out and not expecting it, begin smashing their throat.

Real fights are sloppy and disorienting. Stay calm. Be focused and alert. It all comes down to who is willing to dish out more pain than they can receive and who can take more of a beating without pussying out. You really don't know anything about yourself until you punch the shit out of an old lady.

OK, we're prepped. Let's go experience some modern concerts!

This post, betch, was a refreshing breeze on a very stressful morning. It will be with me all through my day.
Jason A
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby Mark Hansen on Wed May 19, 2010 10:52 am

Then I guess seeing Leonard Cohen at the Rosemont Theatre wouldn't have floated your boat, or lifted your luggage for that matter. Too bad. It was one of the best shows/concerts I saw all year.
"for when you bring two objects of such astounding masses of suck as these two together, they circle each other at incredible velocity until finally merging into an infinitely dense singularity of suck"
Mark Hansen
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby squarewave on Wed May 19, 2010 11:53 am

At the Aragon last night for Them Crooked Vultures, there were little LCD screens everywhere as people were recording and/or letting their friends listen through their phones.

I was not as disappointed with this as much as when the girl next to me was jumping around in a mentally-deranged person's version of a pogo, and tweaked my ankle when she landed weirdly on my foot.

I had to leave our great spot in the center of the floor, and spent 2/3 of the show leaning against the stairs, where there was horrible sound and worse views. I still loved the show.
rocker654 wrote:(regarding jail) I can't recommend it. The toast is too rubbery, and the bellboys have too much snotty attitude.

steve wrote:I haven't heard your band, and you might not want me to.
squarewave
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby givemenoughrope on Wed May 19, 2010 11:56 am

Beautiful post, betch. I'll keep that in mind the next time someone opens their trap at a show.

And actually, it wasn't three old ladys hacking but more like dozens of middle-aged to older during the first wave of allergy season. Those few seconds of stillness at the end of the piece were met with one old lady's hacking and snarfing that was straight out of a Nat. Geo special. You could see a smile of "fuck it" on the conductor's face.
vockins wrote:So it's like the Finnegan's Wake of Super Bowl ads.
givemenoughrope

Postby andrezivkovich on Wed May 19, 2010 12:53 pm

I'm kind of tickled at the omnipresence of violence in this thread.

My only violent rock show experience was at the Berkeley Square in 1995. I caught a suspiciously direct "wild" elbow to the nose from the smallest punker in the pit during a Lagwagon or Tilt set (I can't remember which). I had recently transplanted to the Bay Area from small town America, was dressed inappropriately for a mid-90's Berkeley Square "punk" show, and had been feeling singled out for pit aggression up until that point. After the dizzying blow, however, I noticed as I regained my senses and staked my claim in front of the band that I was commanding an unusual degree of "pit deference." At some point, I went to scratch my nose, felt something warm and wet, and noticed blood on my fingers. Three months in The Big City, and I was already Mister Bloody Face in the Pit.

I went home that night with a gorgeous Persian girl who was concerned over my well-being. That was the only time I got laid with a stranger met at a show.

Sex and violence.

The end.
andrezivkovich
president
president

Postby fedaykin13 on Wed May 19, 2010 12:58 pm

andrezivkovich wrote:
Sex and violins.

The end.

lagwagon'd your post
Tommy Alpha wrote:fedaykin13 is right

http://www.prfsinglesclub.com/
fedaykin13

Postby fantasmatical thorr on Thu May 20, 2010 4:17 am

At Drainland and Jovian show last night, the dreadlocks of the man behind me were making me want to vomit as they pummeled my bare arm.
Tom wrote: I remember going in the back and seeing him headbanging to Big Black. He looked like he was raping the air- really. He had this look on his face like, "yeah air... you know you want it.".
fantasmatical thorr

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion