Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Re: The Louisville Thread

Postby amybugbee on Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:00 am

In Louisville we had a Kentucky Hot Brown, it was good.

Here's a video we made about Louisville a few years back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQQ0BhTLsWc

Hope you like it.
http://www.ayearatthewheel.com
Check it out and get involved!
amybugbee
president
president

Postby Wheel on Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:41 am

There was a Louisville-themed show on BBC Radio 6 last night. Thought some people here might be interested (hopefully this is available in the US).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... math_rock/
Wheel
hank aaron
hank aaron

Postby Neuloveyou on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:05 pm

Wheel wrote:There was a Louisville-themed show on BBC Radio 6 last night. Thought some people here might be interested (hopefully this is available in the US).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... math_rock/

That seems like a rum old idea for a programme. Two people, neither of whom 'were there' or had anything much to do with the time or music they're talking about, saying things like 'Spiderland, yeah, it had six tracks of course and Slint only did two albums before breaking up because it was so intense.'

Admittedly I gave up pretty quickly so it might get better and more insightful but I don't quite know who that would be aimed at? Surely they should have realised all the real (read: vaguely Aspergersy) math rock fans would know all this and not want to tune in (read: actually we're all on here arguing about gun control and whether England has a queen or not)
Neuloveyou
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby Wheel on Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:34 pm

Yeah, it wasn't particularly insightful. Just a themed show to play music around. Should have mentioned.
Wheel
hank aaron
hank aaron

Postby John W. on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:26 am

Friday, March 1 - 9:00 p.m.
Mountains at Kentucky Museum of Art and Craft

Saturday, March 2 - 9:00 p.m.
Matmos at Zanzabar
Two openers: Horse Lords and Parlour
John W.
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby timpickens on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:55 pm

I've got a good friend that moved to Lexington not long ago and I've got a free place to crash should I want to catch a show in Louisville. Could someone maybe list a few venues to keep my eye on?

So far I've got Headliners, Vernon Lanes, and Phoenix Hill Tavern bookmarked from looking around this thread, but I'm sure I'm missing some.
timpickens
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby John W. on Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:39 pm

Check out Zanzabar. This is a good place to check for stuff, too.
John W.

Postby brando562 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:23 am

I'm hoping someone local to the area could possibly explain the demise of these projects, more importantly though, what (if any) projects their members are working on now:

Wolverine Brass
Plows
Pusher

Any info is appreciated!
Bob Weston wrote:
good drummer + crap drums = good drum sound
crap drummer + good drums = crap drum sound
crap drummer + crap drums = crap drum sound
good drummer + good drums = good drum sound
brando562
edward r. murrow
edward r. murrow

Postby timpickens on Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:10 am

Thanks John W!

And a side note, Plows are excellent. I would also be curious as to what their members are up to.
timpickens

Postby tallchris on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:07 pm

brando562 wrote:I'm hoping someone local to the area could possibly explain the demise of these projects, more importantly though, what (if any) projects their members are working on now:

Wolverine Brass
Plows
Pusher

Any info is appreciated!

I know I mentioned this in the other thread, but Billy from Wolverine Brass is now in forum favorites Trophy Wives. I believe the other guitarist Stephen was also involved with T. Wives early on, and appears on some of the T. Wives LP.
tallchris

Postby DudeGuyBroMan on Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:26 pm

brando562 wrote:I'm hoping someone local to the area could possibly explain the demise of these projects, more importantly though, what (if any) projects their members are working on now:

Wolverine Brass
Plows
Pusher

Any info is appreciated!

Billy Bisig (Wolverine Brass) is the front man for Trophy Wives who have played a bazillion PRF things.

David Brooks (Plows) use to play bass in an awesome band called Prideswallower for a while but they have disbanded and now David customizes vans for vanning competitions and touring band vans.

Aaron Osbourne (Plows) now lives in Chicago and is in band called Life Partner in which, I believe, he plays all the instruments on recordings. He was also the drummer in IN/KY/Chicago based freak folk band State Champion who are awesome as well.

Eric McManus (Pusher) is the drummer for on-again-off-again power rockers Nixon along with former Pusher member Matt Jaha. Nixon also has Trophy Wives bassist Tony Ash (PRF member Snowblinder) and Hookers guitarist Doug Walker. Eric also is the auxiliary drummer for Trophy Wives, The Hookers, and Kiss It Goodbye.
Last edited by DudeGuyBroMan on Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
DudeGuyBroMan
kurt waldheim
kurt waldheim

Postby tallchris on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:16 pm

DudeGuyBroMan wrote:Aaron Osbourne (Plows) now lives in Chicago and is in band called Life Partner.

Dude, this stuff is awesome! It's like Karp meets GBV!
tallchris

Postby helenforsdale on Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:28 pm

No one's mentioned Evergreen? So damn good, so underrated. Kinda like the Stooges meets Slint and Fugazi, if that makes sense.

Anytime I talk to Louisville folk about these guys - the stories they have are amazing. Apparently they were all bat-shit insane.

Never saw em live - and I've never seen any live footage.
helenforsdale
carrot top
carrot top

Postby Snowblinder on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:23 pm

helenforsdale wrote:No one's mentioned Evergreen? So damn good, so underrated. Kinda like the Stooges meets Slint and Fugazi, if that makes sense.

Anytime I talk to Louisville folk about these guys - the stories they have are amazing. Apparently they were all bat-shit insane.

Never saw em live - and I've never seen any live footage.

I love Evergreen.

Snowblinder
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Tommy on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:06 pm

Going to be hitting the Louisville area as a bachelor party/roadtrip for a friend a couple of weekdays next month. We definitely want to hit 2 distilleries. Thinking Buffalo Trace and Woodford Reserve but I did see Heaven Hill was recommended already. Thoughts?

We're all beer nerds so Holy Grale will probably be a stop. Looking for some recommendations for eats and/or things to do. Any good BBQ for example?
Tommy

Postby John W. on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:13 pm

I don't know about BBQ, but if you like Cuban Food and don't mind driving a few minutes east to St. Matthews, Havana Rumba is the shit. Gets crowded though - usually a wait unless you get there early. Weird location in a strip mall, but good fuckin food man.
John W.

Postby DudeGuyBroMan on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:30 pm

Tommy wrote:Going to be hitting the Louisville area as a bachelor party/roadtrip for a friend a couple of weekdays next month. We definitely want to hit 2 distilleries. Thinking Buffalo Trace and Woodford Reserve but I did see Heaven Hill was recommended already. Thoughts?

We're all beer nerds so Holy Grale will probably be a stop. Looking for some recommendations for eats and/or things to do. Any good BBQ for example?

Haven't been on the Buffalo Trace or Woodford tour but I have heard great things. I personally have been on the Heaven Hill and Makers Mark tours, both awesome. Both have tastings, an 80 year old guy guides a tour of the distillery houses/founder houses. Buffalo Trace, and Heaven Hill are about 35-40 minutes south of metro Louisville. Makers is further south in Laredo, KY

Holy Grale is a cool place. Get there early because it gets packed in there and there's really not much room to sit or stand in there. The owner of Holy Grale also has his own craft beer store/bar called The Louisville Beer Store too. If your into beer, you should definitely go to neighborhood hipster haven Nach Bar. Tons of great beer from around the world there.

As far as eats go:
Four Pegs: Amazing gastropub food and beer. They have a chicken and waffle sandwich that will change your life.

Frankfort Ave Beer Depot (F.A.B.D.): Good standard BBQ

Hammerheads: Gourmet comfort food that rocks. Winners of many local food competitions

Against the Grain Awesome local brewery with great food located inside Sluggerfield. I took Police Teeth here while they were on tour.

John W. wrote:I don't know about BBQ, but if you like Cuban Food and don't mind driving a few minutes east to St. Matthews, Havana Rumba is the shit. Gets crowded though - usually a wait unless you get there early. Weird location in a strip mall, but good fuckin food man.
I second this. Havana Rhumba is the only Cuban food in town worth 2 damns.

Good luck and have fun on your trip.
DudeGuyBroMan
kurt waldheim
kurt waldheim

Postby John W. on Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:24 am

Gotta try Hammerheads - another place I hear that gets packed fast. Supposed to be awesome.
John W.

Postby Tommy on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:08 am

Thanks for all the suggestions, bros.
Tommy

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion