home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

New York/Brooklyn Livin'

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

New York/Brooklyn Livin'

Postby William_Benton on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:18 pm

I will be relocating to Brooklyn about mid-March and am currently looking for a living situation. (A job, too.)

Anyhoo................if anybody up that way needs a roommate, I ain't all that bad. I am a book and record nerd and failry clean. I can't afford to bring my cat- which makes me very sad but might make me a better roommate.

I am kinda' old. That's a good thing, too. Really.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
"You must be willing to risk everything to really express it all."
-John Cassavetes

of Cat Casual and the Holy Midnight
and Cat Casual and the Ordinary Bones
and now Cat Casual and the Final Word
http://www.facebook.com/catcasual
William_Benton
godot
godot

Re: New York/Brooklyn Livin'

Postby Ty Webb on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:47 pm

Stay the hell out of Williamsburg.

Fort Greene and Greenpoint are pretty cool, but aren't the most convenient areas for commuting. (Not a dealbreaker, just not as easy as some of the other neighborhoods.)

Cobble Hill and Carrol Gardens are damn cool, but can get pricey.

Bushwick is still on the seamy side, but not all that bad. Just not a lot to recommend it compared with other spots.

Red Hook is strange and not easy to commute from, but people either love it or hate it. Also it's relatively affordable.
Clueless in Chicago wrote:I'm going to stop following this thread. A bunch of D&D geeks in a basement somewhere in Oklahomma with their nuts tied around their thighs...
Ty Webb
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby William_Benton on Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:52 pm

I just spent a week in Bushwick and twas fine. My bandmate, Dom, lives in Greenpoint now and that seemed a little more my caliber than the Williamsburg "thing".
-John Cassavetes

William_Benton
godot
godot

Postby Big John on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:10 pm

I would say Bushwick has a lot going for it. Lots of new clubs and art spaces opening.

It is on the L line which gets to Williamsburg if you want to see a show there or any train in manhatten via 14th street.

Greenpoint is nice (in spite of cancer cluster) and has some nice clubs and still some polish people and butchers. Not to mention young polish gals to dispence coffee and donuts so it has a lot going for it. Downside is that it is on the G train which is kind of a difficult train (goes through brooklyn and queens only) and runs less frequently than the other lines in the evenings and weekends (and you use it to switch to another train to get wherever your going) so it adds commuteing time. You can also walk across the bridge to the train in queens which I have done or to the L but it is a long walk especially in winter.

Red Hook people love it or hate it you have to walk over the BQE to get to the A train so it has tranportation issues.

Clinton Hill is nice but on L but walking distance to N or A lines (if you like a walk).

So I'm just agreeing with Ty.
Big John
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby pymm on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:24 pm

Ty Webb wrote:Stay the hell out of Williamsburg.

Yeah!

GP ~Williamsburg, Brooklyn
g.r.e.g-
pymm
linus from peanuts
linus from peanuts

Postby William_Benton on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:28 pm

I learned most of this on my last visit. Glad I did- after years of playing shows and thinking "Oh, it might be kinda' cool to live up here..."- I wanted to make damn sure about this move. Age and experience reveals that gigging isn't the most accurate way to assess a city since you pretty much just pull in, play a show, drink a bit much, wake up some placve strange, and drive away saying "People there were great!"
Anyways, I pretty much HAVE to move there now and I am stoked on it, to be honest.

I'll live anywhere to start. I'll likely be couching it here and there for a spell. Applying at hotels. Trying to look nice and smell good.
-John Cassavetes

William_Benton
godot
godot

Postby vockins on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:33 pm

try Queens as well
vockins
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby William_Benton on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:35 pm

I have a friend in Queens who swears by it. I ain't ruling it out.
-John Cassavetes

William_Benton
godot
godot

Postby Ty Webb on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:54 pm

To be fair, it's been a while since I was in Bushwick. It was changing already when I was there last.
Clueless in Chicago wrote:I'm going to stop following this thread. A bunch of D&D geeks in a basement somewhere in Oklahomma with their nuts tied around their thighs...
Ty Webb
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Ty Webb on Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:55 pm

pymm wrote:

Yeah!

Ha! Sorry, just personal prejudice. Williamsburg is a young man's spot. I know it's where all the best restaurants and bars are (and that's no small consideration for me), but the crowd makes me homicidal.
Ty Webb
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby TheMilford on Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:16 pm

I've lived in Sunset Park for a few years now... it's pretty great.

We bought a house here and are very happy.

So here's my 2cents:

Northern Brooklyn (Williamsburg, Greenpoint, etc.) are total bullshit. There are a handful of perks... but ultimately if you are a grown-up and have a life you want to consider Southern Brooklyn (Park Slope, Downtown, Sunset, Bay Ridge) it has better and more train options ( R, N, D, F, Q, B and sometimes G), some of the in-between neighboorhoods (i.e: between the Slope and Sunset, between downtown and the slope, near Prospect Heights, etc.) are affordable and only a express stop or two from Manhattan. And there is Prospect Park.

If you are going to visit or crash I will gladly show you around my hood and shit.
TheMilford
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Jodi S. on Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:18 pm

William_Benton wrote:I have a friend in Queens who swears by it. I ain't ruling it out.

Lots of reasonable places here in the 'sides (Woodside/Sunnyside) and the transit options are pretty convenient.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby William_Benton on Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:25 pm

I have a friend who is investigating a possible room in one of the
Parks"...Sunset or Prospect. Waiting for the word there as that seems to be the cheapest option. Kinda' a communal living situation....

Thanks again for all of the thoughts, ideas, and feedback.
-John Cassavetes

William_Benton
godot
godot

Postby six acre lake on Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:36 pm

TheMilford wrote:I've lived in Sunset Park for a few years now... it's pretty great.

We bought a house here and are very happy.

So here's my 2cents:

Northern Brooklyn (Williamsburg, Greenpoint, etc.) are total bullshit. There are a handful of perks... but ultimately if you are a grown-up and have a life you want to consider Southern Brooklyn (Park Slope, Downtown, Sunset, Bay Ridge) it has better and more train options ( R, N, D, F, Q, B and sometimes G), some of the in-between neighboorhoods (i.e: between the Slope and Sunset, between downtown and the slope, near Prospect Heights, etc.) are affordable and only a express stop or two from Manhattan. And there is Prospect Park.

If you are going to visit or crash I will gladly show you around my hood and shit.

I couldn't agree more. I'm in Park Slope and I love it. Gowonus, which is right there is blowing up as well. Lots of good practice / art spaces etc. I like it's access to Manhattan as well as the BQE. (I have a car). It got plenty of decent spaces and it's close to the Park. Sunset Park is sweet and offers bigger homes for relatively small amounts of cash by NY standards.

Check it. First rounds on me.
six acre lake
future member of don caballero

Postby William_Benton on Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:54 pm

six acre lake wrote:Check it. First rounds on me.

I will happily collect. Thanks again.

Funny that there is this stigma here about me and bandmate(s) going up there- how it's being taken as offensive to many. At the root of that is this "People are so rude/crazy/meanblah blah".........

Every time I have spent any time up that way I have been treated incredibly. On three different occasions during my last visit I had complete strangers offer their places for me to crash until I got situated. Pretty damn nice.
-John Cassavetes

William_Benton
godot
godot

Postby six acre lake on Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:15 am

William_Benton wrote:I will happily collect. Thanks again.

Funny that there is this stigma here about me and bandmate(s) going up there- how it's being taken as offensive to many. At the root of that is this "People are so rude/crazy/meanblah blah".........

Every time I have spent any time up that way I have been treated incredibly. On three different occasions during my last visit I had complete strangers offer their places for me to crash until I got situated. Pretty damn nice.

On a whole NY can be fairly friendly. I think that has a lot to do with a lot of the folks livin there are transplants. "Nice" folks from "nice" towns. Not born and raised NYers, which is a whole different type of person.

How ever you slice it, my time in Brooklyn has been great so far and I would say there is no shortage of self involvement but at least folks are cordial... U like wher I grew up, Philadelphia, where being an asshole is a favorite activity.
six acre lake

Postby John Houlihan on Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:45 pm

six acre lake wrote:

On a whole NY can be fairly friendly. I think that has a lot to do with a lot of the folks livin there are transplants. "Nice" folks from "nice" towns. Not born and raised NYers, which is a whole different type of person.

Yeah, this is complete bullshit.
John Houlihan
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby ERawk on Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:58 pm

Big John wrote:Red Hook people love it or hate it you have to walk over the BQE to get to the A train so it has tranportation issues.

When I lived in Carroll Gardens/Red Hook limboland, I walked over the BQE to get the F train, not the A. I haven't lived there in 10 years. :smt002

I dug that area then, but you could sense that in ten years (which is now) that it would be a different animal. One of us had a car as well so living there wasn't completely as isolated as someone without a car.

John Houlihan wrote:
six acre lake wrote:

Yeah, this is complete bullshit.

+1. Never had a problem with the "townie" folk unless the were of meathead variety (which are EVERYWHERE), especially my family.
You guys don't mind that I crash your little sausage party, right?

SecondEdition wrote:And also, just for the record - you have the best sig ever.

I was in a band with a cunt.
ERawk
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby six acre lake on Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:54 pm

To be clear, I'm not hating on the born and breed New Yorker. They do however come from a very different lifestyle then the endless array of transplants who find themselves migrating to NY. The much talked about "old New York", which I see as a good thing, is often present in the personalities of the "Townies". It's an honest, curt, and quite unfiltered personality which can often be mistaken for being rude. Similar to Philadelphians without the asshole.

I do loathe Jersey. Nine time out of ten, if you encounter a giant tool they are from Jersey. This is the same in Philly as it is in Brooklyn / NY.
six acre lake

Postby pymm on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:24 pm

Ty Webb wrote:
pymm wrote:

Yeah!

Ha! Sorry, just personal prejudice. Williamsburg is a young man's spot. I know it's where all the best restaurants and bars are (and that's no small consideration for me), but the crowd makes me homicidal.

No, I was agreeing ;)
g.r.e.g-
pymm
linus from peanuts
linus from peanuts

Next

Return to General Discussion