home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

All Purpose Horror Interest Thread

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: All Purpose Horror Interest Thread

Postby Janeway on Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:20 am

if you guys missed "it follows" back in 2014, haha then you really missed out..
phpBB [media]
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby VaticanShotglass on Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:33 pm

Janeway wrote:if you guys missed "it follows" back in 2014, haha then you really missed out..
phpBB [media]

Yeah, this and A Girl Who... were real treats. Both have value beyond their genre, are well directed with great shots, and some nice soundtracks. The vampire one was a little twee for my typical taste but fuck it, the lead actors were too compelling/attractive and the cinematography was great. Nice T-Bird too.
VaticanShotglass
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby hayate on Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:00 pm

that face needs a money shot
Neofascism will be the ultimate expression of libertarian social liberalism, of the unit which starts in May 68. Its specificity holds in this formula: All is allowed, but nothing is possible. -M.C.
hayate
benny binion
benny binion

Postby J. Burns on Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:42 pm

phpBB [media]

Looking forward to this one. The director's previous film "Almost Human" was pretty good, not great, but had a lot of potential. It looks like this one has a larger budget and hopefully better acting, so I'm on board.
J. Burns
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Janeway on Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:20 am

J. Burns wrote:
phpBB [media]

Looking forward to this one. The director's previous film "Almost Human" was pretty good, not great, but had a lot of potential. It looks like this one has a larger budget and hopefully better acting, so I'm on board.

+10 lauren ashley carter. she's always really talented in these fucked up movies with excellent soundtracks..

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]
Janeway

Postby VaticanShotglass on Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:39 am

hayate wrote:that face needs a money shot

Just tagging and bagging this comment for the evidence locker.
VaticanShotglass

Postby J. Burns on Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:53 am

VaticanShotglass wrote:
hayate wrote:that face needs a money shot

Just tagging and bagging this comment for the evidence locker.

Ugh. I missed this somehow. Fuckin' gross, dude.
J. Burns

Postby givemenoughrope on Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:19 pm

Man, I though both A Girl Who... and It Follows (except for the intro up to the beach scene) were real chores to get through, especially IF. I thought I was watching a tween drama ala Nickelodeon or something. I'm fine with horror being co-opted, made safe and hitting all the revival branches on the way down like 'indie rock', etc. It needs to be reinvented anyway.
vockins wrote:So it's like the Finnegan's Wake of Super Bowl ads.
givemenoughrope
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby VaticanShotglass on Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:23 pm

givemenoughrope wrote:Man, I though both A Girl Who... and It Follows (except for the intro up to the beach scene) were real chores to get through, especially IF. I thought I was watching a tween drama ala Nickelodeon or something. I'm fine with horror being co-opted, made safe and hitting all the revival branches on the way down like 'indie rock', etc. It needs to be reinvented anyway.

That's fair enough. I'm not really a normal horror fan unless the movie has a cool atmosphere or setting (Alien), is super cheesy fun, an interesting genre study, is stylistically interesting, or just a well shot movie I'd enjoy horror or no. So there's that. I don't really find horror movies scary. I mostly like them in the way I like sci-fi, which is a way to explore situations or ideas not really available in more normal genres.

More and more I'm also into "little movies" or what you can do with a small cast, low budget, simple premise. That movie Late Phases (from pages back) wasn't the best movie ever, but I really liked what it did with what it had. Same goes for these movies. I really liked the clean directing of It Follows. I liked some of the creepy shots (often super brief), the score, and the way it was more concept than viscera driving the movie (because the latter just doesn't do anything unless it's fun Evil Dead hijinks). I liked that the stupid kids were stupid kids rather than stand ins for adults. Their dumb dramas aren't key for except in bringing them about as genuine dumb kids who are going to screw up, and how adolescence is a horrible dumb time full of stupid ideas and no one helping you out. Also, a lot of kids don't make it out of adolescence, even in our times. So I thought this movie hit on some of those themes well with a nice air of suburban folklore around it.

Plus, all those manefestations of the "it" are fun to think about along with looking at all the photos in the background and putting it all together.
VaticanShotglass

Postby givemenoughrope on Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:40 pm

I identify with all of this as far what I'm looking for in horror sci-fi, low budget, concept,etc as well; all of it. And It was a good decision to me these kids just regular dumb kids (I hadn't considered the usual alternative and it's drawbacks) since they do make dumb kid decisions. But then much of the film is us just hanging around these uninteresting kids which becomes a whole other problem (they're kinda boring). The concept, or rather it's execution or really the lack of total commitment to it, is exactly where it fell short for me. By the pool scene I was way out. However, now that I think of it there were some great moments after the intro. I really liked when they rushed out of the theater. That was pretty effective. It's common for the early scenes to be more charged for me (and most people Id guess) in something like this since the "rules" haven't been explained (I hate explaining in horror) and you are free to insert your own bogeyman (jeez).

I think these retro 80s scores work against a lot of these films and I say that as a big fan of JC/TD/Goblin. The homages and love-letters seem lazy, like a sure thing (and I've done a couple things like this). What you could do with a pile of synths in '84 can't remotely compare to what you can achieve now with DCO's, granular, daw editing and recall, etc. There are some moments in Sinister (a weird film that is embarrassing one minute and then near harrowing towards the end) that have some great music/sound design. Hannibal the series is probably the current champion for modern horror score. but this requires the director to go way out on a limb (derp).

I understand that the films themselves are a reaction to the soulless, tired gorefest of the 2000's and that's great. And yes I love Evil Dead (the first one for me) or Dead Alive (thee best). I just think that some of these indie/sorta art house horror directors seem to be more proud of themselves for what they aren't than what they are. They also seem like a stepping stone for first-time directors which I kinda resent. It's funny to me that they mostly eschew gore or even socially awkward moments since two of biggest commercial directors ever made the above irreverent blood baths. It seems almost impossible for that to happen today.

And I did enjoy Late Phases. One of the few films of it's kind of late that actually got better as it went on.
vockins wrote:So it's like the Finnegan's Wake of Super Bowl ads.
givemenoughrope

Postby VaticanShotglass on Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:56 pm

Those are all great points. I'll keep them in mind as I watch more horror. My buddy is a big horror fan, so that is how I started seeing more of these films. Right now my critique of movies in the genre is rather generous because I never used to get much out of them. Growing up my entire extended family lived off '80s slasher, little monster, and demon/vampire movies, which largely did nothing for me (with some exceptions as I loved a good monster if not the movie). I was all about Godzilla, Star Wars, and comic books.

Just recently I came to love Mario Bava movies and Hammer Horror stuff, but that is different.

The only movie that scared the shit out of me and I still find frightful is the original Night of the Living Dead. Some folks find it laughable. I guess it is pretty subjective.

I still think It Follows has some great shots and showed a lot of potential. Boring I can handle to a fault. I really like the scene and shot where "it" slipped into the bedroom as this huge dude just as the door opened a bit. Young people make me cringe so while you were bored, I was feeling dread and discomfort, which is sorta appropriate, if by accident. The soundtrack made me think of video games more than anything.

Just watched The Witch. Liked it. Nice setting. The witch stuff didn't do a lot for me but I liked the family drama and the location, sets, etc. Acting, accents, language, and theology were great for me.
VaticanShotglass

Postby RSMurphy on Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:05 pm

RSMurphy wrote:Pro: Adam Wingard
Con: Marketed as the scariest movie ever

Find out this September. Or not.

phpBB [media]

I want to punch Adam Wingard in the throat for his deception. Currently at 100% on Rotten Apples, though, but, still, I cannot think of any movie where the director chooses to lie to the public about the universe it inhabits prior to its release.
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby numberthirty on Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:34 pm

While I can try to see why, it's still just odd.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Janeway on Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:25 am

i love movies that just start as if you flipped channels and it was already on, and there's no one you can ask "what's going on" because nobody knows haha
phpBB [media]
or maybe i just didn't know what was going on :oops: but this one was pretty unique and used current technology in a not-dumb way, and i don't know if this is a spoiler, but it's obviously a ghost movie and you see in the trailer she gets pushed by a ghost and then she kinda gets up off the kitchen floor and starts knifing at the air and i thought that was pretty badass like, at least she's trying to fight back haha even though you can't really knife a gas-plasma

but my favorite thing to figure out was the meaning of the title itself.. :shock: :smt023
Janeway

Postby pb183max on Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:12 pm

phpBB [media]

Thought Unfriended was really compact and well executed
pb183max
judge
judge

Postby Janeway on Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:47 am

Janeway wrote:i love movies that just start as if you flipped channels and it was already on, and there's no one you can ask "what's going on" because nobody knows haha

but this one was pretty unique and used current technology in a not-dumb way..

phpBB [media]

edit: actually here's the full movie on youtube haha
phpBB [media]

she's a writer so you get inside her head and hear how she makes decisions and her mothers influence and was that a twist at the end or not? its was pretty good.. i like smart girls in horror movies :smt023
Janeway

Postby Redline on Fri May 26, 2017 1:10 pm

Child Eater is always gone from the local Red Box. Anyone seen it?
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Janeway on Wed May 31, 2017 10:48 am

^child saving > child eating

phpBB [media]
Janeway

Postby Redline on Wed May 31, 2017 12:30 pm

^ I hope she can act her way out of it.

The Wolf Mother preview shows the complete movie in one minute. Why see the movie now?
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Janeway on Wed May 31, 2017 5:13 pm

^cause when you read the headline "prostitute saves kidnapped child celebrity from sex slavery" you still want to see it done and know all about it. we all knew seabiscuit was gonna win but everybody still worried like that horse might not triumph but he did it.
Janeway

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion