home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Everybody Kiss My Watch's Ass

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Everybody Kiss My Watch's Ass

Postby jimmy two hands on Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:21 am

Pfft, only 28 grand? That piece of shit doesn't even have an ugly-ass astrolabe in it.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Redline on Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:32 am

The only cool watch I ever had was in the 70's
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Marsupialized on Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:56 pm

What, you don't have a 30 thousand dollar ugly ass plastic Star Wars watch? What are you, poor?
Marsupialized

Location: Chicago, over by Grand and Halsted. Fulton River district, I guess?

Postby bishopdante on Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:13 pm

If I didn't own a mobile phone and a computer, or was going somewhere I wouldn't have such things to hand, I'd own nothing more expensive than this:

http://www.cwcwatch.com/products/cwc-g1 ... tery-hatch

Which is a swiss watch with a movement etc.

But it's £150, new from the manufacturer, as used by the UK army.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell
bishopdante
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby travis k on Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:35 pm

Redline- that's easily one of the more beautiful watches I've ever seen. If I weren't so averse to adornment on my body , that watch of yours would fit the bill. What's the make and model?
travis k
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby matthew on Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:13 am

Wristwatches are totally redundant in the age of the mobile phone....which has a digital clock tied into an atomic clock via the internet.

Much more accurate than any wristwatch.

I consider my iPhone to be, among other things, a pocket watch.

So, in effect, I'm pretty retro.
...diesque nostros in tua pace disponas...
matthew
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby Dudley on Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:11 am

matthew wrote:Wristwatches are totally redundant in the age of the mobile phone....which has a digital clock tied into an atomic clock via the internet.

Much more accurate than any wristwatch.

I consider my iPhone to be, among other things, a pocket watch.

So, in effect, I'm pretty retro.

In an age where people piss half their lives away staring at their phones, and endlessly getting them out and putting them away again, I am happy to embrace this "redundancy".

Not being the skipper of an ICBM sub or a flash trader, I can live with the lack of atomic accuracy.
Seby wrote:How does the sting of marginalisation taste now, you pick-using oppressors?
Dudley
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Tommy Alpha on Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:56 am

Aye. Everyone will stop reading paper books and all.

Except watches and paper books don't need charging five times a day.

Also, its a pain in the arse getting your phone out repeatedly if you need to keep checking the time. Also also, it's a sure fire way to get your head kicked in if you're in the wrong part of town. You can be subtle about a watch at least.
Tommy Alpha
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby dontfeartheringo on Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:11 am

Tommy Alpha wrote:You can be subtle about a watch at least, unless of course it shits trains.

contextualized your post.
tmidgett wrote:John Bonham has no competition. Literally none.
dontfeartheringo
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Tommy Alpha on Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:04 am

True enough! That trainshitter would draw people in like moths.
Tommy Alpha

Postby Redline on Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:20 pm

travis k asked:
Redline- that's easily one of the more beautiful watches I've ever seen. If I weren't so averse to adornment on my body , that watch of yours would fit the bill. What's the make and model?

ImageI think it was a Datatime. When the Pulsars came out (they were $$$), these popped up for cheap - my dad bought it for me around 1975. I wish I still had it.
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby dontfeartheringo on Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:12 pm

Redline wrote:travis k asked:

ImageI think it was a Datatime. When the Pulsars came out (they were $$$), these popped up for cheap - my dad bought it for me around 1975. I wish I still had it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/70s-1970s-Vinta ... 3ce0ffd4ba
tmidgett wrote:John Bonham has no competition. Literally none.
dontfeartheringo
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Redline on Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:33 pm

^nice! Cheap, too.
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby bishopdante on Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:58 pm

Tommy Alpha wrote:Everyone will stop reading paper books and all.

We are still waiting on decent epaper at any size, nor has anything commercial been capable of even poor quality colour.

A book is, historically or in the present day, already a very high tech object, don't find a lot of mass-produced books in antiquity. The amount of work that goes into producing a substantial scale printed volume, it requires computers to make it halfway manageable – publishing was the big sell for '70s, '80s and '90s computer technology, lots of other industries wouldn't go digital. Even then digital production & layout of a book, it's a *big* *job*.

Hand-calligraphy non-mechanically reproduced books with leather & hand-sewing? The amount of labour means house prices and a half-decade wait per set of 50 editions.

So getting a digital device to match the quality / bandwidth of a high quality book...

Considering a decent photographic book weighs in, raw assets, at about 50-60Gb, and can be flicked through in its entirety in a matter of seconds at full res... that's a lot of content to render. Can be done, but only recently – today's vader-bin mac pro hooked up to a pair of 4k screens will do the equivalent, anything even slightly older using platter drives or less powerful graphics won't let you flick through, it'll take time to load a page and you won't see it in full resolution.

Fastest you can render or "refresh a frame", in terms of getting it out of the computer and onto printing plates then onto paper... using the very latest highly computerised / robotised gear... 'bout a week. That's not anywhere near the 25 frames per second required for things to look like they move.

It'll get there, but beating a book for usability and general definition, that would be hard. Power efficiency, too. Or price per unit.

However, I don't doubt that we will certainly have 600dpi, full colour, full motion, integrated solar power etc off a thin plastic future-computer-film much like paper, in the long-term timeframe.

Right now... a digital tool that competes with a book on a level playing field for weight, size, power consumption & definition, forget about it. It's as unthinkable as a chronometer-wristwatch was in 1730. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harrison

However, a friend of mine took a whole library with him out to Cuba on a flash stick as part of a project, perfectly easy to read using small Sony epaper devices. Nobody actually experienced any literary impediments as a result of it, and the devices were smaller than most books. Devices ran for days on a charge, and didn't get stopped by customs.

Certainly I'd sooner own a pocketable epaper electronic reading device than a wristwatch, at this point.
Last edited by bishopdante on Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell
bishopdante

Postby Tommy Alpha on Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:27 am

Just bought one of these lads.

I've always wanted a Raketa of some type.
Tommy Alpha

Postby Marsupialized on Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:55 pm

Tommy Alpha wrote:Just bought one of these lads.

That's cool, do they make a men's model?
Marsupialized

Postby catwoman on Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:58 pm

Tommy Alpha wrote:Aye. Everyone will stop reading paper books and all.

Except watches and paper books don't need charging five times a day.

Also, its a pain in the arse getting your phone out repeatedly if you need to keep checking the time. Also also, it's a sure fire way to get your head kicked in if you're in the wrong part of town. You can be subtle about a watch at least.

That's why I wear a man's Casio Wave Ceptor Analog SOLAR "Atomic timekeeping" watch like this one:
http://www.shopcasio.com/product/wave-ceptor-wvam640-1a-black
I think I bought it on woot.com, for half as much as the linked one is listed at.
It does not need winding, no batteries to change, AND every night it goes out and searches for some Atomic time sync thing. I can live with the non-funtional "bezel".

I am emotionally of the mind that this is the perfect wrist watch. It is ALWAYS correct, it will never die from a dead battery. I can rely on this one device to never ever fail me. No one will try to rob me of it, because it is not a thing of beauty, especially, just a functional, utilitarian thing. If I ever want a second one, I will get one with the silver band.
catwoman
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby Tommy Alpha on Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:58 pm

Marsupialized wrote:
Tommy Alpha wrote:Just bought one of these lads.

That's cool, do they make a men's model?

I'm just as god made me, sir.
Tommy Alpha

Postby Marsupialized on Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:06 pm

I don't wear watches because men wearing jewelry is super fruity but this one is pretty fucking nice:

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/09/22/kennin-ji-temple-masters-project-craftsmen-make-ornate-watch-inspired-by-kyoto-temple/
Marsupialized

Postby jimmy two hands on Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:56 pm

Marsupialized wrote:I don't wear watches because men wearing jewelry is super fruity but this one is pretty fucking nice:

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2015/09/22/kennin-ji-temple-masters-project-craftsmen-make-ornate-watch-inspired-by-kyoto-temple/

I dig that. With that watch it's always dragon-shooting-lightning-bolts o'clock.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion