home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Ask a veterinarian.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Ask a veterinarian.

Postby jimmy two hands on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:55 am

wellbutrin wrote:
jimmy two hands wrote:My cat keeps crapping outside his litter box. He still pees in it, luckily, but he seems to prefer crapping on the mat that we put down in front of the box. Is there some way to make him start crapping in the box again?

If it's unscented litter, an uncovered box, you scoop frequently frequently (daily at least) and the poop looks normal this can be tricky. If all 4 of those things are true I would try changing it up by moving the box, removing the mat etc.

If all of those things in the first sentence aren't true then make them true.

You could also try pulling the shades down and showing him how it's done.

Litter is unscented - it's that stuff made from pine. Should we be using the stuff made from crushed up rocks? Usually we scoop it daily but sometimes we forget and let it go a day. It's a covered box but we recently removed the cover (to no avail). Turds are normal.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Tommy on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:26 am

jimmy two hands wrote:Litter is unscented - it's that stuff made from pine. Should we be using the stuff made from crushed up rocks? Usually we scoop it daily but sometimes we forget and let it go a day. It's a covered box but we recently removed the cover (to no avail). Turds are normal.

I wouldn't really call pine unscented. I have one cat that hates that stuff. Do you have more than one litter box? Some cats like to do different business in different boxes...
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby wellbutrin on Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:41 pm

eliya wrote:So I'm guessing I shouldn't worry about Frosto puking? I know the Atopica can make cats throw up, but he hasn't in a while and then had a bunch of incidents happening pretty close together.

As long as it slowed down it's all good. Once every 5-7 days should be tops in general.
wellbutrin
tiger cub
tiger cub

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:23 pm

Bumping an old thread here for some advice. One of our cats is being weird. I'll let my partner explain -

"We noticed a bald spot developing right on the base of our cat's tail. He's medium-hair, and we've noticed he occasionally pulls out his hair in small clumps while grooming, but it's never created a bald spot until now (we try to brush him daily.) He's been on the same food for at least 6 months, so no changes there, and his brother (shorthair) doesn't have any issues like this. The skin itself looks healthy and there don't seem to be any tender spots. He does get some dander on his back from time to time.

Any ideas on things to try out to remedy this? The hair-eating also means there are some gnarly hairballs (once again, his brother doesn't have these either). We could also bring him to a vet, but didn't know if we should look into trying a different food or some sort of topical treatment before then."

Any ideas or insight would certainly be welcome!
Unofficial Pono spokesperson.

SELF/KJ/SAR/BP
SUMMER OF DOUG'S
four_oclocker_2
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby wellbutrin on Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:05 pm

four_oclocker_2 wrote: One of our cats is being weird.

age of kitty? indoor/outdoor? a photo of the area in question would also be helpful as well as the climate and season you're in.

allergic dermatitis, parasites, over-grooming are all on the table along with a few rarities.
wellbutrin
tiger cub
tiger cub

Postby four_oclocker_2 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:20 pm

wellbutrin wrote:
four_oclocker_2 wrote: One of our cats is being weird.

age of kitty? indoor/outdoor? a photo of the area in question would also be helpful as well as the climate and season you're in.

allergic dermatitis, parasites, over-grooming are all on the table along with a few rarities.

Just under 2 years old, all indoors, Chicago climate, so all over the place the last few weeks.

I'm having a whole bunch of issues trying to get photos to upload from my computer on here, but I'll try to figure something out!
Unofficial Pono spokesperson.

SELF/KJ/SAR/BP
SUMMER OF DOUG'S
four_oclocker_2

Postby scrotescape on Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:06 am

My goat bagged up about a month early... Kidded a week ago.
Udder congested throughout.
Giving massages several times daily is slowly helping.
If i Could i strap headphones on the bag what should I play to encourage the milk to flow?
scrotescape
pope
pope

Postby scrotescape on Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:08 am

Poor girl
scrotescape
pope
pope

Postby ooop on Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:28 pm

My cat is 11 years old. He has diabetes. We give him insulin twice a day. He's fine. I think I posted about him years ago on this thread when he was first diagnosed.

At the last vet visit, they told us he had severe gum disease and needs all of his teeth removed. This seems quite invasive. We asked why, and they said some hand-wavey stuff about how his insulin "might" stop working if the gum disease continues. I'm deeply skeptical. Apparently it wasn't urgent enough that we had to decide on the spot.

He's eating his food, drinking water, using his litter box and is generally a happy, healthy, and affectionate cat. It is hard for me to get how on the risk-benefit analysis his life will be improved by the risks of anesthesia and surgery to literally remove all of his teeth. Would love any advice I could get about the situation.
ooop
les paul
les paul

Postby wellbutrin on Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:18 pm

ooop wrote:My cat is 11 years old. He has diabetes. We give him insulin twice a day. He's fine. I think I posted about him years ago on this thread when he was first diagnosed.

At the last vet visit, they told us he had severe gum disease and needs all of his teeth removed. This seems quite invasive. We asked why, and they said some hand-wavey stuff about how his insulin "might" stop working if the gum disease continues. I'm deeply skeptical. Apparently it wasn't urgent enough that we had to decide on the spot.

He's eating his food, drinking water, using his litter box and is generally a happy, healthy, and affectionate cat. It is hard for me to get how on the risk-benefit analysis his life will be improved by the risks of anesthesia and surgery to literally remove all of his teeth. Would love any advice I could get about the situation.

This is hard because I'm a blind third-wheel here. That being said, whether it's a cat or dog or teeth or a skin tumor or whatever, I generally have to be hard-pressed to recommend an invasive, irreversible and likely expensive procedure in a pet who has their normal disposition and is eating well when it could be done later if the aforementioned conditions change. I assume the argument is that he must be in pain based on how they look, but you know him best and if he is 100% himself I'd be skeptical too.
wellbutrin
tiger cub
tiger cub

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:23 am

My big Prince is poorly. He's been off his food and lethargic for a few days but today he's notably worse. Struggling on his feet if walking at all, still off his food, colder to the touch. Gums closer to grey than pink.

He's drinking water when it's in front of him at least.

I've left a message with the closest vet but he's a 40 minute drive away and until I hear from him there doesn't seem much I can do.

My lad is about 5 1/2 and lives in a desert environment.

Edit as I haven't asked a question - any general advice?
once deceased
A_Man_Who_Tries
jacques pepin
jacques pepin

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:48 am

Waiting on a liver scan. Haven't slept in days.
once deceased
A_Man_Who_Tries
jacques pepin
jacques pepin

Postby wellbutrin on Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:18 am

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote:Waiting on a liver scan. Haven't slept in days.

I am sorry to hear that. I'm glad you got him in. I hope it's something manageable.
wellbutrin
tiger cub
tiger cub

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:56 am

Thanks. He was put to sleep twenty minutes ago. Burst spleen and extremely low bloods - with an absence of blood for transfusion it was suggested the odds were too long for surgery, and they're the professionals.

The last day and a bit he was immobile but didn't show any signs of pain or even discomfort, and had a little to eat today. I was with him at the end and it went peacefully.
once deceased
A_Man_Who_Tries
jacques pepin
jacques pepin

Postby ooop on Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:04 pm

wellbutrin wrote:
ooop wrote:My cat is 11 years old. He has diabetes. We give him insulin twice a day. He's fine. I think I posted about him years ago on this thread when he was first diagnosed.

This is hard because I'm a blind third-wheel here. That being said, whether it's a cat or dog or teeth or a skin tumor or whatever, I generally have to be hard-pressed to recommend an invasive, irreversible and likely expensive procedure in a pet who has their normal disposition and is eating well when it could be done later if the aforementioned conditions change. I assume the argument is that he must be in pain based on how they look, but you know him best and if he is 100% himself I'd be skeptical too.

First of all, A_Man_Wh_Tries, I'm so sorry about your dog. I'm glad he went peacefully.

As for my cat, whose name is Herbs, this are the apparently relevant notes:

EENT: Marked calculus with moderate to marked gingivitis, gingival recession noted over all 4 canines, concern for FORLs on mandibular and maxillary premolars. OU/AU: clean and clear. No oculonasal discharge.

Assessment:
Marked periodontal disease with FORLs, dental procedure with extractions indicated.

Problem Description:
Dental disease stage 3, minor severity.

Comments/Client Education
SWO re assessment and recommendations, discussed importance of dental health due to concerns re development of insulin resistance in the future due to dental disease/inflammation - best to perform procedure before diabetes mellitus becoming uncontrolled.
ooop
les paul
les paul

Postby Tommy on Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:52 pm

8 lb, 10-yr old female cat has a lump on one side of her rib cage. Feels as hard as bone but it's round and almost the size of an earbud. Guessing an x-ray is in order here?

Potentially relevant: She had a non-cancerous fatty lump removed from her back about 4 months ago. She had it for a few years and it had gotten the size of a gum drop.
Tommy

Postby El Protoolio on Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:58 pm

My 14.5 year old orange tabby cat was diagnosed with hyper thyroidism a few years ago. Eats a prescription diet (YD) and seems fine most of the time but every once in awhile has bouts of watery stool. Usually he shits solid and tidy. Most recent bout was a few days ago and he’s eating and drinking and pissing but I don’t think he’s shit in two days. He seemed a little lethargic but appears normal now, except I think he’s holding it in because he’s afraid of it. He may have shit and covered it up but usually when he’s going through that he shits outside the box and drags his dirty ass around like he did two days ago.

My question is is diarrhea a symptom of hyper thyroidism? He might have eaten something disagreeable or just gotten a bug but I’m curious if there’s any causation between the thyroidism and diarrhea?
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby wellbutrin on Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:32 pm

ooop wrote:
Assessment:
Marked periodontal disease with FORLs, dental procedure with extractions indicated.

Problem Description:
Dental disease stage 3, minor severity.

Comments/Client Education
SWO re assessment and recommendations, discussed importance of dental health due to concerns re development of insulin resistance in the future due to dental disease/inflammation - best to perform procedure before diabetes mellitus becoming uncontrolled.

ah, this makes more sense. we do see insulin resistance in cats and dogs with severe oral infections. Resorptive lesions are basically end-stage for the tooth, often times these teeth don't actually get extracted down to the root tip, they get a less invasive fix called a crown amputation. This is less painful and less expensive, generally. If the affected teeth (sounds like most/all) can just get crown amputated I would say go for it, but it usually depends on the x-rays so can't be known until the pet is under anesthesia. It's hard to say that you should definitely get it done if there is no issues regulating the diabetes currently, but it wouldn't be wildly inappropriate to recommend. Sorry to be so wishy-washy but thems the brakes with stuff like this, it just depends on your philosophy.
Last edited by wellbutrin on Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wellbutrin
tiger cub
tiger cub

Postby wellbutrin on Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:33 pm

Tommy wrote:8 lb, 10-yr old female cat has a lump on one side of her rib cage. Feels as hard as bone but it's round and almost the size of an earbud. Guessing an x-ray is in order here?

Potentially relevant: She had a non-cancerous fatty lump removed from her back about 4 months ago. She had it for a few years and it had gotten the size of a gum drop.

A needle aspirate would likely be more useful/diagnostic but if it needs to be removed an x-ray might show if there is dramatic bony involvement.
wellbutrin
tiger cub
tiger cub

Postby wellbutrin on Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:34 pm

El Protoolio wrote:My 14.5 year old orange tabby cat was diagnosed with hyper thyroidism a few years ago. Eats a prescription diet (YD) and seems fine most of the time but every once in awhile has bouts of watery stool. Usually he shits solid and tidy. Most recent bout was a few days ago and he’s eating and drinking and pissing but I don’t think he’s shit in two days. He seemed a little lethargic but appears normal now, except I think he’s holding it in because he’s afraid of it. He may have shit and covered it up but usually when he’s going through that he shits outside the box and drags his dirty ass around like he did two days ago.

My question is is diarrhea a symptom of hyper thyroidism? He might have eaten something disagreeable or just gotten a bug but I’m curious if there’s any causation between the thyroidism and diarrhea?

Not typically connected but I've seen a few outliers. If it's been years on the y/d then I would assume the hyperthyroidism is under control and thus not a factor so if recent thyroid hormone levels have been good, I'd be looking for other causes.
wellbutrin
tiger cub
tiger cub

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion