home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

RIP

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: RIP

Postby ErikG on Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:14 pm

One of my instructors at the local technical college passed away.

Instrumental in my midlife career change, she steered me right in the electrical trade.

The IBEW and I will miss you Heidi.
ErikG
pinocchio
pinocchio

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:23 pm

Nick Tosches. Responsible for some damned fine music writing.
maintain a healthy foe list
A_Man_Who_Tries
cool kid
cool kid

Postby MJongo on Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:32 pm

Lil Bub :(
Stephen Jay Gould wrote:I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
MJongo
francis harry compton crick
francis harry compton crick

Postby biscuitdough on Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:48 pm

Terry Turtle of Buck Gooter, too
biscuitdough
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Seby on Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:24 pm

Lil’ Buuuuub!!!
Seby
happy meal
happy meal

Postby RSMurphy on Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:44 am

Wrong thread. Apologies.
WHALES CHICAGO USA THE MUSIC OF SOUND BANDACMP EP NOISEPOP

LTD. EDITION VINYL COPIES OF SIZE AND SCALE

Trey wrote:I think Randy is great.

Surfrider wrote:Come on Randy! You can do it!!
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby madlee on Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:07 pm

madlee
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby total_douche on Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:44 am

total_douche
the white ho
the white ho

Postby The Moose Child on Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:01 am

RIP Roy Loney.

He always sounded like he absolutely cherished the opportunity to sing, vocalize and just explore the capabilities of the human voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQA0dLqPH2M
The Moose Child
scout
scout

Postby Clyde on Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:05 pm

Anna Karina. Best remembered for her collaborations with Godard--nearly all of them classics--although she made movies with Visconti, Fassbender, Rivette, etc, and was an incredible presence in everything she was in. I particularly loved her in La Religieuse, Pierrot le fou, and most of all in Vivre sa vie, one of the greatest performances ever captured on film. She also directed a couple of films which I would very much like to see but never have.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/d ... the-screen
NewDarkAge wrote:Dialectics, mate. No easy answers.
Clyde

Postby noise&light on Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:27 pm

Farewell, luminous charmer! You were the face of the French New Wave.

There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
noise&light
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Me Again on Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:53 pm

Anna Karina. Luminous charmer indeed.

R.I.P.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:12 am

Rest in Power, Woody Vasulka.
A_Man_Who_Tries
cool kid
cool kid

Postby Maurice on Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:27 pm

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote:Rest in Power, Woody Vasulka.

Aw, damn. Pouring out some video feedback.
music every week | here, too | snwv

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I ask you: What the fuck?
Maurice
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:00 am

Ram Dass. Safe pass.
A_Man_Who_Tries
cool kid
cool kid

Postby ls60 on Wed Dec 25, 2019 5:09 am

RIP Dave fucking Riley
"This song's called Dingy Little Back Alley of a Country..."
ls60
secretary of the interior
secretary of the interior

Postby Heaven is in your beard on Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:26 am

Very sad. 59 is no age to go, but given the health problems he'd had over the last few years it's understandable that he chose to live out his last days without treatment. Sympathies to his family and friends.
The panda made me do it.
Heaven is in your beard
assclown
assclown

Postby 154 on Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:59 am

Postby steve on Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:40 am

I met Dave Riley in the mid-1980s when he was playing in Savage Beliefs, one of the more clever bands of the first post-hardcore generation. Savage Beliefs played shows with hardcore bands and retained that energy, but were much evolved musically, with great surf music interpretations and a kind of middle-eastern melodic sense. Dave had a loose, grooving style that seemed in the spirit of the better hard-rock bass players of the psychedelic era, Dave Alexander and Dickie Petersen, unafraid to overdrive and take the reins on a riff. Big Black was just finding its groove, with me and Santiago Durango sharing the spectrum comfortably on guitar, but we needed a new bass player since Jeff Pezzati was finding splitting his time between Naked Raygun, his job and Big Black exhausting.

As the story goes, Dave went into the toilet at one night at a punk show while Santiago was on his knees barfing into a toilet. Sant noticed him and said something to the effect of, "You're the guy from Savage Beliefs right? You have style." They exchanged numbers when both had tidied up and a few weeks later, Dave was in the studio with Big Black recording the first of the songs we would compile into the album Atomizer, and beginning an amazing run of music that was one of the defining episodes of my life.

Before coming to Chicago, Dave had served time in the Detroit area, playing in bands and assisting in studios. He had some stories, like the time he was sent to a Kroger at midnight to buy baking soda for Roger Troutman, and the odd situations he saw the young Madonna Ciccone find herself in, but the big event, the thing that changed him, was an accident.

As he described it, his car, I want to say it was a Trans-Am but that's fuzzy, had konked-out on the freeway, and he limped over to the breakdown lane. He popped the hood and was rooting around inside it when a car crossed the median and rammed him from behind at full speed. Between the car that hit him and the hood of his own car, he was left with a range of devastating injuries, leading to a long recuperation and many surgeries to reconstruct broken bones in his torso, arm and especially his face. His lower lip, for example, was a section of his tongue, grafted on to replace part of what had been sliced off by the hood of his car, and he had several other patches of donor skin like that.

Left with massive scars and an asymmetric visage, a lot of people would retreat socially, but if anything Dave ramped up his personality. He was the most outgoing of our group, quick to make friends and get in conversation, and whenever we needed to break the ice with a new comrade band or the staff of a club, he was always the first one to introduce himself and make conversation. He made friends wherever we went, often disappearing into the night post-show for excitements and entertainment we weren't privy to, but he was ultimately responsible about his carousing and never let it interfere with playing a gig.

Dave added a lot to the band. Jeff Pezzati was a good musician and friend, and no slouch himself, but Dave had a guitarist's attack on the bass, and since our writing was collaborative, he would often be the guy who came up with the part we could hang the rest of the song on. He was clever and inventive with parts other players would just dumb down, owning a riff, making little A/B variations that elevated parts and shaping the direction of songs. He materially improved anything he worked on and was responsible for some indelible moments.

After the band split up, he had some rough years, lots of drinking and some drugs, culminating in a collapse and stroke that left him in a coma for some months. That he was able to reanimate his creative drive after that is a kind of incredible, and a testament to how resilient a man he was. Even in a more compromised body, he kept going, writing, corresponding, making good use of his time.

I can't pretend we were intimate during his last few years, but I maintained high regard for him. We communicated about anything to do with the band's back catalog but not much otherwise. I've learned that he recently retired to a farm with his longtime partner, spending much of his time with rescue animals, and I can imagine that being a parallel to the way he used to befriend people easily, making them comfortable with themselves through him.

When I think about Dave, I think of him onstage, sweating, rolling on his heels, his bass making a rhythmic shrapnel cloud, the densest object in a very heavy construction. Then I think of him after the show, still sweaty but relaxed, easy with his humor and in possession of an impeccably sharp wit, comfortable with himself, comfortable being the hinge-pin of the evening.

I miss playing with Dave, and I miss hanging out with him. He was a handful, but like most people we describe that way, he was worth it. Rest easy.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby El Protoolio on Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:16 am

Thanks for that picture of the man, FM steve. I know so little about him but he was the first bass player I really got into and made me want to pick up the bass in addition to already playing guitar. When I play bass I am basically aping either David Michael Riley, David Wm Sims, or Geezer Butler, depending on what is needed. I first heard Big Black in the fall of 1987 with Songs About Fucking and that record, and his playing, had a huge impact on me.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion