home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Seen any good movies lately?

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Seen any good movies lately?

Postby thelonelymastodronus on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:04 am

I watched Cutter's Way again yesterday - such a great movie.
Your taste is in your ass
thelonelymastodronus
drum tuner
drum tuner

Postby Adam Sr on Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:45 pm

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]
Adam Sr
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby Dudley on Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:20 am

edventure wrote:Super Dark Times is a film that I had the pleasure of working on as film editor; it’s getting a limited theatrical release today (Chicago people can see it at Facets) followed by VOD in a week. It’s being marketed as horror, although I think psychological thriller might be a more apt category. Two high school friends in the 90s get into some serious fucking trouble:

phpBB [video]

I could fill pages with how much working on this film has meant to me — long story short, I consider it a high point in my career and am lucky to have been a part of it. I’m posting it here on the PRF because aside from the (admittedly biased) opinion that the movie kicks ass:

- A few music cues that I suggested actually made it into the finished film, from bands I wouldn’t have known about were it not for this forum (Bitch Magnet, Comsat Angels)

- It was never intended, but it could be read as a thematic adaptation of the Shellac tune “Riding Bikes”

Theater/VOD info: superdarktimes.com

I saw this last night and I thought it was great. Really really good. Great restraint in the plotting and the tone. Brilliantly cast, too - down to every single character. OK, so its subject matter was right up my street, but I watch loads of screen drama, I write for TV and film and teach screenwriting, which kinda does progressive damage to the simple "enjoying a film" receptors, and it's not very often that something grabs me like this and works so well. It had that confidence across all the disciplines, that it knew exactly what it was and how it should look, sound, run etc, and that is so rare.

Top work, edventure, you and everyone else involved.

Everyone else, watch this. It rules. Really. It's on Netflix.
Seby wrote:How does the sting of marginalisation taste now, you pick-using oppressors?
Dudley
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby VaticanShotglass on Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:31 pm

^^ I hope to watch this one tonight!
VaticanShotglass
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby edventure on Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:16 pm

Dudley wrote:Everyone else, watch this. It rules. Really. It's on Netflix.

Fuckin' A, thank you Dudley and all the people sounding off on the film! It makes me glad to hear that it's connecting with folks.
edventure
carter family
carter family

Postby Adam Sr on Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:53 pm

phpBB [media]
Adam Sr

Postby enframed on Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:33 pm

Adam Sr wrote:
phpBB [media]

Really good movie.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Janeway on Fri May 11, 2018 1:46 pm

goodjob rachel bloom
phpBB [media]

this movie really explains guys
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway

Postby Janeway on Fri May 11, 2018 4:10 pm

best criticism of fame/media/mainstream life versus real folks with actual desire and happiness

phpBB [media]
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway

Postby gaetano on Thu May 24, 2018 12:31 pm

Dogman, by Matteo Garrone.
Based on a true story, depicts the squalid life of a dog-sitter who exacts revenge on his bully, a retired boxer with a coke problem. Awesome photography and direction, and an unforgettable lead charachter.
gaetano
retail therapist
retail therapist

Postby Adam Sr on Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:15 pm

phpBB [media]
Adam Sr

Postby ImDADA on Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:43 pm

Stalker. About 6 months ago. It ruined films for a little while.
Blue.
ImDADA
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby travis k on Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:43 pm

Love Means Zero. Scumbag tennis coach. The Trump of Tennis.
Was barely ever a player. Obscene.
travis k
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Me Again on Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:07 pm

gaetano wrote:Dogman, by Matteo Garrone.

This ^^^ sounds like a promising premise for film, have heard good things about it. But I disliked Gomorrah (not many interesting characters and it was shot rather lazily to these eyes). So we'll see!

ImDADA wrote:Stalker. About 6 months ago. It ruined films for a little while.

Yeah, other movies tend to feel rather lacking after you've watched Stalker. It's tough to beat. A Top Ten film for me. Just gets better with repeat viewings.

Adam Sr wrote:
phpBB [media]

Just watched this ^^^ (that's two films starring Phoenix in two nights). It wasn't a tedious sit or anything, but I think it's one of Ramsay's weaker efforts. Above average but it's missing that more lyrical side of her better films. Has a few poetic moments for such a dark film but not enough for me. It looks like it was shot on digital which doesn't feel as becoming for her work as celluloid clearly was for her early shorts and Rat Catcher and Morvern Callar.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
tommy vercetti
tommy vercetti

Postby Me Again on Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:03 am

Huh, just logged onto Mubi for first time in about eight years and found out they did away with its message board. Good riddance! I guess IMDb has done away with theirs too. Good riddance to that as well! A belated R.I.P. to the both of them. The trolls and simps made these places very unpleasant corners of the internet at times, am glad I didn't invest much time in them.

Several people have voiced their grievances against the state of the PRF as of late, but it's a lot better and less troll-infested than that stuff. Hoo boy.

Dave//Eksvplot wrote:MUBI??? MUBI is still a thing?

I haven't visited that site in several years.

Stopped posting there when a highly odious man kept going on and on and on about the "flagrant" homoeroticism of Bresson films. I was like, "If this guy's a regular contributor here, and hardly anyone calls him out on his bullshit, what's the point in spending any time in this place?" But there were many other fruitless discussions and after a while I just stopped caring, even though there are plenty of people there who know a lot about movies, much more than I do.

Have no idea what their film selection is like now, but before HULU struck their deal with Criterion, most people thought MUBI was going to attain the rights to the CC back catalog, since it was originally through Criterion that a lot of people found out about the site (back when it was The Auteurs). But when that fell through, and they changed their name all of a sudden, and the CEO was outed as not being a particularly big fan of cinema, many people jumped ship.

Looking back on it, the site was kinda cool in the very early days, but when the simps and trolls invaded its message board became sub-IMDb. And most of the great filmmakers who originally had accounts there never bothered to show up again.
Me Again
tommy vercetti
tommy vercetti

Postby jimmy spako on Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:35 am

My girlfriend has a Mubi account that I use from time to time. She was just watching something on there last night when I got home, trying to beat the clock on a film that was set to turn into a pumpkin at midnight.

I caught a Jodorowsky double feature around the way yesterday, the two most recent autobiographical films in chronological order. I quite liked them all in all, especially La danza de la realidad. He's a kook but he pulls off his thing well and there is a lot of tenderness and self-effacing humor there. The films are ultimately about the struggle to love one's self and I appreciate his sincerity.
Isabelle Gall wrote:'Do not go smoothly into that dark night'
jimmy spako
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Me Again on Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:00 am

Am sure Mubi, as it stands now, still has some value as a viewing platform. But it sure did take some convoluted turns getting there. I think them having a message board was a mistake. Many knowledgable people flocked there at the beginning for the discussions but then too many came into the fold and the trolls started spoiling it and entropy won out. I hadn't visited in about seven or eight years, so it was a pleasant surprise to learn they did away with it this morning. But it's a bit too late.

At the beginning, when it was the Auteurs, it was rumored they were going to get the whole Criterion library, so that's why many showed up, anticipating a big selection of films they could watch while concurrently reviewing and discussing them on the site. Then there was the name change, and the partnership fell through, and it seems ever since then Mubi has struggled to find a core identity and advantage on the market. They don't seem to know if they want to appeal to a rarified subset of "elite" film viewers or try to rope in a much bigger audience.

I was looking at Letterboxd today (which is what prompted me to log on to Mubi for once), and was wondering, "How many of my friends are on here? Should I get an account and start reviewing films?" Or, more likely, would it just end up being another platform that would eat up more time than it was worth and that I wouldn't visit again for large chunks of time. If all of the people you like stop giving a damn and no longer visit the site, then you as well just be posting on a blog, and I've already got one of those.

:)
Me Again
tommy vercetti
tommy vercetti

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:05 am

Has any platform arrived yet that trumps just using Karagarga, where venturing off the beaten path is concerned?
once deceased
A_Man_Who_Tries
staple singers
staple singers

Postby Me Again on Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:19 am

That site isn't legal. If we're talking about "above board" platforms, in terms of selection of great films, I think FilmStruck is far and above the best.

FilmStruck's main drawback is that a lot times when people turn on their Rokus and whatnot, they're kinda fried and want to watch something that paints in big broad strokes.

Hence the popularity of Netflix. It stocks a lot of fare that's easy to watch when you're tired as hell and trying to wind down. It has a few titles that are more demanding, but its main sell is that it'll amuse you before you hit the hay.
Me Again
tommy vercetti
tommy vercetti

Postby A_Man_Who_Tries on Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:42 am

I've often wondered whether it could be integrated into something legal though, as a curatorial hivemind. There's nothing comes close to it - just replace pots with subs and you're away.

A non-starter politically with the more-involved KG heads I imagine, which is a shame with all that work on OoP stuff.
once deceased
A_Man_Who_Tries
staple singers
staple singers

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion