home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

The Fearsome And Mammoth Résumé/Cover Letter Help Thread

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: The Fearsome And Mammoth Résumé/Cover Letter Help Thread

Postby Carl on Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:30 pm

These two examples are pretty (as is Faiz's), a lot prettier than the piles I've received. I wouldn't mind getting one as long as I can quickly scan to see if the applicant has the relevant experience/skills/training for the position. A good résumé/vita will let the reader quickly understand whether the applicant is a reasonable fit; a bad résumé/vita will make the reader grouchy as he tries to figure out why said applicant applied for the job.

It is best not to make the reader grouchy.

I am currently helping out a search committee, and well over half of the applications have made me grouchy.
dvockins wrote:That is the most pretentious bullshit I have heard in the last three years and I live in Brooklyn.
Carl
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Jodi S. on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:47 am

So there's another Curatorial Assistant position open at the institution I applied to back in March. It's definitely a job I could get if all things were equal, but since it's at this particular institution, it's probably promised to someone already.

Here's the description:

Reporting to the Anne and Joel Ehrenkranz Curator, the incumbent will assist with a range of curatorial projects and tasks, including exhibition research, acquisitions, gifts, correspondence and other clerical and administrative duties.

Duties and responsibilities will include: research on artists, works, and cultural issues; assisting in the planning, administration and installation of exhibitions (correspondence, loan forms, checklists); assisting with catalogues (obtaining transparencies, reproduction permissions, necessary back-up information), brochures and grant applications; compiling bibliographical archives; writing didactic labels, brochures, and calendar copy as needed; assisting with museum acquisitions and meetings, coordinating information among various departments; acting as liaison with the Film and Video curator's internal and external contacts, including trustees, donors, committee members, external colleagues, and artists; a range of administrative duties (telephone, maintenance of records, correspondence, exhibition administration, general office and clerical duties). Administration of technical work on film and video works for both exhibitions and the permanent collection, in liaison with the museum’s AV, registration and conservation staff; liaison with artists with regard to film and video formats and the presentation of film and video works in the galleries.

Job requirements include: B.A. in art history and/or interest in 20th-21st century art; 2-3 years of Curatorial experience in museums or galleries; Microsoft Office; excellent writing, research, communication, clerical, and organizational skills; excellent telephone manner and attention to detail; ability to handle several projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.

The only thing I don't have is the Art History BA, but since I've done 85% of this stuff in the past, I think that might make up for it.

Help me cook up a sentence or two to make the HR person go "Hey, we have to call this person in for an interview!" I have a pretty slammin' cover letter, but since it didn't get me an interview last time, I want to make it irresistible.

Oh, and they ask the dreaded salary requirement question.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby Carl on Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:20 pm

The ad states "and/or" so you should be fine as long as you can demonstrate your capabilities in the field. Is the contact person the same as the last time you applied? If so, personalize the introduction explaining why you would be an excellent addition to the office. Worth a shot.
dvockins wrote:That is the most pretentious bullshit I have heard in the last three years and I live in Brooklyn.
Carl

Postby offal on Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:42 pm

Jodi S. wrote:So there's another Curatorial Assistant position open at the institution I applied to back in March. It's definitely a job I could get if all things were equal, but since it's at this particular institution, it's probably promised to someone already.

The only thing I don't have is the Art History BA, but since I've done 85% of this stuff in the past, I think that might make up for it.

Help me cook up a sentence or two to make the HR person go "Hey, we have to call this person in for an interview!" I have a pretty slammin' cover letter, but since it didn't get me an interview last time, I want to make it irresistible.

This is where you mention your "extensive experience with XYZ", which you acquired while working on (insert: all of your most high-profile projects and/or clients).

Jodi S. wrote:Oh, and they ask the dreaded salary requirement question.

Use the Bureau of Labor Statistics to make your best guess for what that position should be paying in your region and go for it. Even if you quote high, if they like you it won't be a deal-breaker -- they'll still call you back.

Carl wrote:The ad states "and/or" so you should be fine as long as you can demonstrate your capabilities in the field. Is the contact person the same as the last time you applied? If so, personalize the introduction explaining why you would be an excellent addition to the office. Worth a shot.

Along those same lines, what skills do you have that they didn't ask about but that you think they will find valuable? Drive those home hard. Show them how much more you have to offer that they aren't even thinking of right now.
offal
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby noise&light on Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:26 pm

I'm not recommending that you use these résumé examples. I think they're pretty extreme and probably best for those of us who are specifically applying for creative gigs. Still, they're interesting to note.

(I used Google Translate to read the page. It was originally in Portuguese.)

Creative CVs
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
noise&light
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Jodi S. on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:10 pm

http://opencoverletters.com

Very librarian-specific, but these have been extremely helpful to me.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby parker_knoll on Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:40 am

deep.BTUz wrote:There is a general trajectory/timeline that underpins American careers, and the more you are aware of that the better off you are. My advice is to take that idea seriously, and then tailor your resume to engage that conceptual understanding.

sorry for dredging up an old post, but i would really like to hear more about this. What is the trajectory? how to reflect it?

I'm in the UK, and I'm aware that being the no compromise punk rebel we all are i have rather thrown away the traditional career trajectory - well, it held fast until about 5 years ago. Now i need a job (preferably part time) and need to find a way to project myself as an employable member of society via my CV.
zom-zom wrote:This entire board is a musical-snobbery fest, and that's what makes it "fun".
parker_knoll
humberto brenes
humberto brenes

Postby enframed on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:37 pm

Not a question directly about the above but I an't find another thread in which to ask the following:

My wife is supposed to accept or decline a job offer tomorrow morning. However, she is currently waiting to hear about another offer from a favored employer who is being rather slow. She has already, last week, called the favored employer who has not returned her call. Do you all think it would be OK for her to call this favored employer and explain that she has another offer that she must respond to (because she said she would) and that she'd really like to speak with this favored employer first? It would be the second time she called. All I can find says that this is OK etiquette but I thought I'd ask here because you are all so very successful.

Thanks.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Maurice on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:06 pm

That kind of honesty is totally fine. If they take great umbrage at not being the only person she's talking to...well, that says more about them than about her.
music every week | here, too | and here | snwv | other stuff

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I ask you: What the fuck?
Maurice
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Nate Dort on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:10 pm

enframed wrote:Not a question directly about the above but I an't find another thread in which to ask the following:

My wife is supposed to accept or decline a job offer tomorrow morning. However, she is currently waiting to hear about another offer from a favored employer who is being rather slow. She has already, last week, called the favored employer who has not returned her call. Do you all think it would be OK for her to call this favored employer and explain that she has another offer that she must respond to (because she said she would) and that she'd really like to speak with this favored employer first? It would be the second time she called. All I can find says that this is OK etiquette but I thought I'd ask here because you are all so very successful.

Thanks.

Yes. My wife went through the same thing. If they really want her, they'll do what they can to keep her from being snatched up by the non-favored employer. If they give her a FOAD, then she probably wouldn't want to work for them anyway.
Nate Dort
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby enframed on Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:04 am

Thanks for the replies. After stressing out about this for days she went ahead and took our advice and called the person again, whose VMbox was full. So she took the other job which will likely be the better job anyway. She just wanted to hear what the "favored" place actually had to offer.
Records for sale.

enframed

Postby enframed on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:13 pm

Another etiquette question. Today I interviewed (2nd round) with two different people and would like to send them a thank you email. I was not given a business card or any contact info with their email addresses. Their contact info is also nowhere to be found on their org's website. However, I know three other emails at the same organization and they follow a certain protocol: first initial followed by last name, no spaces, @domain.com. Is it creepy for me to guess (likely correctly) at their email addresses and send them emails thanking them for interviewing me, etc?

I suppose I could just put cards in the mail and drop them a hard copy thanks.
Records for sale.

enframed

Postby Alayne on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:19 pm

enframed wrote:Another etiquette question. Today I interviewed (2nd round) with two different people and would like to send them a thank you email. I was not given a business card or any contact info with their email addresses. Their contact info is also nowhere to be found on their org's website. However, I know three other emails at the same organization and they follow a certain protocol: first initial followed by last name, no spaces, @domain.com. Is it creepy for me to guess (likely correctly) at their email addresses and send them emails thanking them for interviewing me, etc?

I suppose I could just put cards in the mail and drop them a hard copy thanks.

Yeah, I'd go for sending them an email. I've done this and also have had candidates send me thank yous when I never gave them my contact info. I don't think the recipients will dwell too much on how you got their email info, especially since you have other email contacts in the organization, and the addresses follow a uniform structure. They'll probably just be appreciative that you took the initiative to send a follow up note. Thank you emails never hurt.
Alayne
dr. j
dr. j

Postby enframed on Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:17 am

Cool, thanks. I hoped as much.
Records for sale.

enframed

Postby Mason on Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:04 pm

Question!

I'm applying for jobs in the city I'll be moving to in the fall, and I'm reworking my résumé(s) to that end. A thing that's tripping me up is that I'm currently two courses away from finishing my B.A. in Sociology. I haven't abandoned it; I registered for fall online classes today. It's just that I'm not through it yet.

Most of the positions I'm looking at are entry-level, and many of them only list "some university" as a requirement. Not much of an issue there. However, there are a few enticing jobs out there that I'm qualified for in terms of my actual skills and experience, but that list a university degree as a requirement. Hardly a surprise.

I won't misrepresent myself by saying that I have a B.A., but I'm wondering, is it a waste of time to apply for these jobs in the first place? I have a feeling that the non-profit I'm looking to apply at might not care about that requirement if I exceed their other ones, but that the gov't job I'm looking at would definitely like to dismiss me on a technicality so they can get to dismissing most of the other 20+ applicants. But perhaps I've got it wrong.

Should I first send them an e-mail straight-up asking if they'd consider my application? Or would that reflect weirdly on me in some way?
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby offal on Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:16 pm

I'd go ahead and apply. I've seen several situations where the applicant simple puts the degree as "pending" right on the resume. It's right there in the open, no funny stuff. Folks can ask for more information if they like.

I can only speak from the perspective of my profession, but I'd rather hire a good student than a graduate with little to show for it but a diploma.
offal
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Christopher on Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:31 pm

Yeah, just apply. "Pending" or the more specific "Anticipated completion [month/year]" are pretty common and let them know where you stand. Sending an e-mail about it might only draw attention to an area you'd rather not be the focus.
I guitar Conformists.
Christopher
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby Nate Dort on Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:01 pm

I'm in the same boat right now. I'm about to start sending out resumes with an "expected graduation date: December 2014" disclaimer. I'm more concerned about the fact that I've only got one evening class to finish this fall, so I'll have no problem working a regular 9 to 5. I wish there was an easy way to make that obvious without it sounding weird on the resume.
Nate Dort

Postby enframed on Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:08 pm

What those other guys said, Mason.

I'm in the middle of trying to find a new job (and "career") and I've realized that I'm now old enough (42) that I feel like I need to remove dates from my resume because it gives away my likely age. I've also removed most jobs that were short term and/or aren't relevant to the job being applied for. Anyone else do this?

In cover letters I was noting my "seeking to embark on a new career" and my wife recommended I remove that, too, because it may make me seem like I know nothing about the new career, even if I explicitly state that I do.

None of this helps the fact that I'm trying to go into a field in which starting at the bottom, where I'm happy to start, is mostly done by young people with little life experience.
Records for sale.

enframed

Postby sunlore on Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:08 pm

enframed wrote:"seeking to embark on a new career" and my wife recommended I remove that, too, because it may make me seem like I know nothing about the new career, even if I explicitly state that I do.

Yea. imo, what you want to convey in a résumé/cover letter is never how much you want something. Talk about them and what you can do for them.

None of this helps the fact that I'm trying to go into a field in which starting at the bottom, where I'm happy to start, is mostly done by young people with little life experience.

I did this recently. Was very upfront about my inexperience in the field and then went on about a bunch of ideas I had for the position. Worked pretty well, but that was an interview, where I never had to send a résumé.
sunlore
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion