home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Why people like Apple stuff.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Why people like Apple stuff.

Postby blackmarket on Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:52 am

Anthony Flack wrote:Window and desktop management was miles ahead way back in OS9, with the function key commands etc.

No, this is not correct, either.

As far back as Windows 95, Microsoft has used ALT keyboard shortcuts that allows full access to the OS. It is a brilliant system that anyone can learn quickly, as it takes very little memorization for specific commands. ALT+F for File, ALT+E for Edit, ALT+V for View, etc. At that point the user only needs to follow underlined letters to the desired command. Once a few important shortcuts are committed to memory, multilayer commands can be executed in just a second or two - or however long it takes to strike three or four keys. I haven't used OS9 in a very long time, but I don't remember Apple ever having such a robust and intuitive command structure. OSX never came close.
blackmarket
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby sitwell on Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:07 pm

Does anyone here have an iPhone SE? I need a new phone, but I also need a headphone jack. I kind of like a smaller phone because it's in my pocket all day. Just kind of curious if anyone has positive or negative opinions of these.
sitwell
denny dias
denny dias

Postby skoz on Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:17 pm

sitwell wrote:Does anyone here have an iPhone SE? I need a new phone, but I also need a headphone jack. I kind of like a smaller phone because it's in my pocket all day. Just kind of curious if anyone has positive or negative opinions of these.

I love my SE. Pretty zippy. Same chip and camera as the 6S. Excellent battery life. It also is cheaper than all the other ones. I went from a 5s to the SE and the improvement in battery life was pretty astounding.
skoz
bobby seale
bobby seale

Postby Janeway on Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:09 am

side by side (vodka?) comparison..
sony xperia x compact vs iphone se
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Pure L on Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:05 pm

I've recently had the displeasure of having to do a new, full install of High Sierra.

All I can say is FUCK THIS. So hard.

Digital Performer 8.07 does NOT seem like it's ready for this although word is IT IS ready. (DP 9 not so much, I guess?*) Who cares.

*Edit: OK maybe it is ready according to Motu's website. Still sounds iffy though. [reaches into wallet AGAIN]

But really, this company is slowly becoming a phone company anyway.

*EDIT (again): My problems turned out to be a bad stick of RAM. Although hardly unheard of, In all my years of computing, this is a first. My negative feelings against Apple still stand, however.
Last edited by Pure L on Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pure L
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Anthony Flack on Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:29 pm

I don't even wanna upgrade to High Sierra.

Last time I upgraded a whole bunch of programs stopped working. And I only upgraded because a whole bunch of other programs were saying they would not start working until I did.

Are Apple ever going to make any more significant innovations? Probably not. They've remade personal computing in their own image, and done so more than once. But now they're just a pain in the ass.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Facundo on Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:23 pm

Not an apple fanboy, hating iphones as much as android phones... never had one, neither an ipad....

But... I've had three laptops lasting two years. Fujitsu-Siemens, HP probook and Foxconn made netbook. Between $400 and $700.

Since near four years the Apple MBP i7/16ram/ssd Late 2013 is running without any problem.
I live happier in this future by that miracle
Facundo
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby bishopdante on Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:08 am

^ that is the most painfully misguided and awful piece of industrial design. Like seriously.

It isn't possible to figure out how to make a charge port which makes it possible to use the mouse while it's charging?

Seriously bad.

RIP Steve. That would *never* have got out the door on his watch.

I'm not sure that Mr Cook is much of a thinker.

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell
bishopdante
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Major on Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:57 am

I've had a Spotify account for a few years, and it's fine, but their algorithm for suggesting new music is pretty bad. Never really bothered me much as I typically listen to things I already know I like, but it's baffling how shitty it is ("You listened to Neil Young, have you ever heard of...NIRVANA??")

When I heard that Drag City is exclusively on Apple Music, I thought I'd give it a shot (3 month free trial as well). Have to say, I've discovered a ton of new music via the weekly suggestions Apple Music has provided.

My 8 year old MacBook Pro has never given my any problems. My iPhone is still going strong and I dread the day it needs to be replaced, because I'm still not over the removal of the headphone jack (bishopdante, please don't post a dissertation as to why it's actually a good thing). I'm pretty bad about software updates and such, so a lot of the issues I read about have never affected me.

So, I don't know. I wouldn't consider myself a "fanboy", but the products I own made by Apple have performed well. And Apple Music is nice.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby hayate on Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:47 pm

The two times I bought a laptop I went to apple.. and the two times I bought a smartphone I went to apple as well.

why? because simplicity is part of their overall aesthetic. that and they have a reputation to uphold. they are innovative without overcomplicating and they have streamlined their brand: apple phones are made to sync and connect seamlessly with apple computers and apple computers with itunes.. and I've never once had to run virus scans or pop in reboot discs or, you know, stair at the spinning circle of death/hourglass.
I'm not a computer nerd, I don't "game" or do programming or run a bunch of .torrents anymore, so I like my hitech devices to be ready to use and straightforward. It's worth the extra money to use a computer that works the way it's supposed to work, and above all to last.
Neofascism will be the ultimate expression of libertarian social liberalism, of the unit which starts in May 68. Its specificity holds in this formula: All is allowed, but nothing is possible. -M.C.
hayate
phil ivey
phil ivey

Postby greg on Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:46 pm

skoz wrote:
sitwell wrote:Does anyone here have an iPhone SE? I need a new phone, but I also need a headphone jack. I kind of like a smaller phone because it's in my pocket all day. Just kind of curious if anyone has positive or negative opinions of these.

I love my SE. Pretty zippy. Same chip and camera as the 6S. Excellent battery life. It also is cheaper than all the other ones. I went from a 5s to the SE and the improvement in battery life was pretty astounding.

I like mine too.
greg
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby pwalshj on Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:47 am

greg wrote:
skoz wrote:

I like mine too.

SE is the jam. Software? Another story. You like animoji's? Great. You like using the capital 'I'? Oof.
"If you aren't offered a hot dog or a burger this week it ain't them... It's you." - Ray Chimaro - July 1st 2009
pwalshj
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby blackmarket on Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:53 am

hayate wrote:The two times I bought a laptop I went to apple.. and the two times I bought a smartphone I went to apple as well.

why? because simplicity is part of their overall aesthetic. that and they have a reputation to uphold. they are innovative without overcomplicating and they have streamlined their brand: apple phones are made to sync and connect seamlessly with apple computers and apple computers with itunes.. and I've never once had to run virus scans or pop in reboot discs or, you know, stair at the spinning circle of death/hourglass.
I'm not a computer nerd, I don't "game" or do programming or run a bunch of .torrents anymore, so I like my hitech devices to be ready to use and straightforward. It's worth the extra money to use a computer that works the way it's supposed to work, and above all to last.

This is a bit of a fallacy. A well-built Windows machine that is taken care of will last at least as long, if not longer than a Mac. We have a mix of the two OSes in our house. My Thinkpad will turn 11 this year. My Wife's cheap Dell, 9. The track-pad on the Dell is a bit wonky, (to be expected) the batteries in both have long since stopped holding a charge. Otherwise, they are in perfect working order. With an upgrade to SSD in each, these machines are faster than they were new and hold their own pretty well against a 2013 and a 2015 Mac.
blackmarket
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby blackmarket on Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:07 am

Pure L wrote:I've recently had the displeasure of having to do a new, full install of High Sierra.

All I can say is FUCK THIS. So hard.

Digital Performer 8.07 does NOT seem like it's ready for this although word is IT IS ready. (DP 9 not so much, I guess?*) Who cares.

*Edit: OK maybe it is ready according to Motu's website. Still sounds iffy though. [reaches into wallet AGAIN]

But really, this company is slowly becoming a phone company anyway.

I wish nothing but the worst for them now.

Fuck you, Apple. Fuck you and your new APFS. Fuck you.

Three iterations in (x.x.3) and High Sierra is still a hot mess. Aside from Siri integration and the iCloud stuff, there is little difference between 10.12/1.13 and 10.11. If you don't use those features, I see little reason to upgrade past El Capitan at this point. I will look into 10.14 when that is released, but at the moment, the OS this machine was built for is rock solid and still receiving security patches. APFS is not ready for prime time. I don't see a compelling reason to move forward.
blackmarket
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby VaticanShotglass on Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:22 pm

The last week I've been using Windows 10 has me missing OS X quite a bit. I may really need to look into alternatives.
VaticanShotglass
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby bishopdante on Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:23 am

Think of an industrial market that controls/influences the majority of the world's other marketplaces (computer software platform design)... a market which is presently globally dominated by *two* American companies (and would have been dominated by one were it not for an anti-monopoly ruling demanding MS subsidise apple to stop them going under, a few years before bill Gates was politely asked to leave MS).

OK, so there is Sun/Oracle Solaris... and stuff like IBM Z/OS... and Siemens BS2000/OSD... but in terms of professional desktop software platforms... it's Apple & MS.

The problem with the computer industry is standardisation & compatibility - the fact that these are made corporate property rather than open standards has been a toxic force to the development of commercial and academic computing.

There are, thankfully, ANSI standards and open source... and were it not for the work of Linus Torvalds in his shed in Finland, the Internet / web servers would be an ugly place.

Have been predicting for years that if Apple's build of BSD called OSX goes to shit, there will be an opening for a new home/workstation operating system, either based on Linux or BSD, or possibly something novel such as Plan9/Inferno.

Ubuntu is not the worst option, but it's not a lot of fun. Certainly better than it was a decade ago...

And there are a *lot* of Linux distros, for all sorts of purposes: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... tributions (eg: backtrack/kali for 'security testing' https://www.kali.org)

But I have every reason to believe that some organisation (ideally academic) could build an open-standard and well-engineered non-proprietary pro-grade user friendly OS environment that works *way* better than OSX or windows, and that when that happens we may have a way out.

But before that motivation really is there for users to decamp... there has to be a reason for users and application developers to want to get away from mainstream big OSs.

It's overdue, really.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell
bishopdante

Postby qanda on Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:02 pm

I think a truly user-friendly OS would by necessity re-invent the wheel, allow fewer choices, and be incompatible with existing standards in many aspects, which is very much against the philosophy of open source and academic design.

Also, I think any major advancement would meet substantial resistance. How large of an audience would be willing to switch to a system that did away with file folders or the concept of discrete files?

I am not enthusiastic about the direction and quality of Apple's OS implementations but dealing with alternatives has always been empirically much more aggravating.
qanda

Postby Facundo on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:31 am

iOS 11.2.2,

Intel bug, go buy a new one. Two birds, one shot.

https://melv1n.com/iphone-performance-b ... re-update/
I live happier in this future by that miracle
Facundo
tired of birds
tired of birds

Previous

Return to General Discussion