home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Anybody into cooking?

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Postby flyinghouses on Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:14 am

This guy is into food. I would like to see cooking shows with this much enthusiasm on tv

http://www.pandachute.com/videos/the_special_chef
flyinghouses
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Re: Anybody into cooking?

Postby simmo on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:22 am

I'm in the market for some kitchen knives. I've never had enough money to invest in anything even half-decent before, but it's finally time.

Got about £100 to spend.

Any recommendations or tips? Brands to avoid? Thoughts on ceramic knives?

Ta!
simmo
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Podge9 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:45 am

I'm sure Zom-Zom or others will offer more trusted advice but I have one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorinox-40521-10-Inch-Fibrox-Handle/dp/B0000CF8YO/ref=sr_1_9?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1370943566&sr=1-9&keywords=victorinox+chef+knife

It's probably the best thing I've ever bought for the kitchen. I wouldn't go for such a big one if you don't have massive plate hands like myself but yeah, this does the trick quite brilliantly.
Podge9
bear
bear

Postby simmo on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:45 am

Cheers Podge! I've heard good things about Victorinox knives. Also Wusthof and Henckel. I've asked our man Double Z in his dedicated questions thread.
simmo

Postby Podge9 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:08 am

You'll spend a good hour chopping up stuff, just for the fun of it
Podge9
bear
bear

Postby JamLifeIntoDeath on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:36 am

I have 9" Shun santoku and a 7" chef's which I adore and use daily.

I also have a 6" Global santoku which came to me as a gift. It has a tapering handle that requires some accustomization, but it's light and thin and loves to bisect a thing. It does seem to lose its edge a bit faster than the Shuns though.

My parents still use their old Henkel knives, as well as some beautiful mottled old knives from some great-great relative.

My girlfriend loves her Wusthof, but it's pretty heavy. Thick spine. Really comfortable handle, though, at least for my hand.

Not a fan of Victorinox, but that's because the quality of their swiss army knives has taken a shit. Don't know a whole lot about their kitchen stuff, but I've listed some better options.

You should just go hold some knives. Get a steel, a chef's, and a paring. That's pretty much all I use. Sometimes I wish I had a bread knife, but it never seems important enough to invest in.
JamLifeIntoDeath
roy campanella
roy campanella

Postby JamLifeIntoDeath on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:41 am

Podge9 wrote:You'll spend a good hour chopping up stuff, just for the fun of it

Yes :)

Also, a quick followup to my other post: Amazon often has pretty good specials on knives. If you're considering Shun, get classic, not premier. I've heard that the premier blades are particularly brittle, and I did chip my classic once when washing it.
JamLifeIntoDeath
roy campanella
roy campanella

Postby fredrock on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:23 am

I see now (late) that you got the show on the Victorinox chef, but I posted a set on the ZZ thread which might be attractive.
Good luck
Life is just what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
-John Lennon
fredrock
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Redline on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:04 pm

I don't have time to cook anymore...

I did make awesome chili-dogs yesterday, though...
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby madmanmunt on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:03 pm

simmo wrote:I'm in the market for some kitchen knives. I've never had enough money to invest in anything even half-decent before, but it's finally time.

Got about £100 to spend.

Ta!

Get a ceramic vegetable peeler, not a knife. These things are miraculous! A perfect application of the ceramic blade. Otherwise forget about ceramic knives.

Think about how much space you have on your kitchen counters and if you'll have more that one person chopping at the same time: if you are in couple that cooks together two chef's knives of different lengths could be a good buy. 8" is a good size to start with, but you might find that over the years, as you get more comfortable with it, you'll yearn for an extra inch or two when performing certain tasks.

No point in having a knife that is longer than your cutting surface. Get at least one nice big wooden cutting board. Maybe add a couple of smaller ones, too. Those cheap bamboo ones are cool. Forget all the other materials.

Get a good steel, and think about adding a sharpening stone further down the line.

I've never used a paring knife, just not necessary for the kind of cooking I do.

A small serrated utility knife of decent quality is really handy to have.

A good bread knife is a revelation.

Learn basic knife technique: the grip, guarding your fingertips. An 8"+ razor blade (which is how sharp it should be) is no joke.
Book of Leo, Chapter 19 Verse 46 wrote:The man thought that he knew the glory and the wrath wrought of the Stratocaster, but lo! He was corrected.

Let them measure my anus and see if it is dilated.
madmanmunt
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Tom on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:05 pm

simmo wrote:I'm in the market for some kitchen knives. I've never had enough money to invest in anything even half-decent before, but it's finally time.

Got about £100 to spend.

Ta!

My recommendation is to go to your favorite restaurant when they're slow and ask one of the cooks there what they use. It's going to be sharper, more versatile, more comfortable, and cheaper than anything else you can find. And then maybe a good bread knife too.

I have a whole block of knives I never use and one that I use all the time.

Don't think of a knife as an investment. Think of it as a tool.
Tom

Postby flytox on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:39 pm

Maybe some of you cooking experts might help?

My mother brought this from a trip to Spain:

It´s a blend of sea salt, dried marjoram, dried basil, dried sage, dried bay leaves, onion powder and pepper. I have no idea what to do with it. It´s made for meat...but preferably what kind of meat? And for what kind of preparation? Is it a rub? If so, won´t the herbs burn and become bitter? Or is it just a spice to add to any kind of meat?

Does anybody have any experience with this kind of stuff he/she´d like to share?
flytox
bill bradley
bill bradley

Postby djimbe on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:50 pm

flytox wrote:Image

I'd put something like that on damn near everything. Stuff some between the skin and meat on a whole roast chicken. Saute up a mess of red cabbage and add that stuff when the cabbage is limp but before it starts to brown. Pound some into some pork cutlets before frying them. Mix it in with the meat for a meatloaf. Sprinkle it on scrambled eggs. Put some in dumpling dough before they go in the pot.

Most anything you want savory is going to be fine with that mix, depending of course on the proportions of the various components. Looks like it's salt heavy, so take that into consideration. Obviously taste it. It will help if you really know the flavors of the various bits, but you can taste solo versions of all the components pretty easily if you're not familiar with all of them.
djimbe
cool kid
cool kid

Postby Madman Munt on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:56 pm

I thought that was a bag of seasoned dried flesh at first!

I do a salt/pepper/herbs/oil rub on roasted meats sometimes (often, in fact). Tastes good!
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby Pasta on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:08 pm

cooking's for jerks
Ninety Five Cents? FUCK YOU!!! I'LL SKATE TO THE BEACH.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

Postby Redline on Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:37 am

Is chopping up a hot dog into a can of Spaghetti-O's cooking?

Then yes, I was into cooking today.
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby flytox on Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:01 pm

djimbe wrote: Stuff some between the skin and meat on a whole roast chicken.

This was great advice. Tried it today (I mixed a lot of it into some butter before spreading it under the skin) and it was delicious. Simply fantastic. Thank you!

djimbe wrote: Pound some into some pork cutlets before frying them.

This is what I will try next.

djimbe wrote: Mix it in with the meat for a meatloaf.

And this is what I will try then.
flytox
bill bradley
bill bradley

Postby travis k on Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:07 pm

I can't cook to save my ass. I admire it. I hope to one day take part in the conversation.
I was in college for 8 years. Then on drugs in NYC while working in a restaurant.
Then married to a wonderful woman with great skills in the kitchen.
I admire it as a discipline and a craft. And it's sort of kept me from learning much
Because I'm afraid that I would get too engrossed and take time away from other activities.
I'm also aware how dumb that sounds. Just being honest.
I do plate really well though. I've been a catering/ banquet guy for many years.
When I make grilled cheese and roasted carrots or whatever other simple thing I can make,
I plate it really nicely for the kiddo and take a pic for her mom .
We call it - Gourmand Servee
travis k
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby Janeway on Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:28 am

^yeah you know what cooking is? its kinda just being able to prepare something well, no matter what the food is. even if youre just able ti make the perfect peanut butter and jelly sammich and with the right creamy ratio andgood bread you discovered you like with the right kinda jelly and all the components, cooking is like building these mini sandcastles that you master and just keep at that souffle or creme brulee or boeuf bourgnion until it comes together.

i think the rule of thumb is to be able to cook things to their qualfications but then make them your own, if you can check all the details that qualify itas a good sammich and still be able to putpersonal signature on it thats prob mastery of a skill...

today i invented dimetapp which is jim beam neat with a splash of marachino cherry juice and boom, knock out any kinda cold or sober youre trying to get rid of :P
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Janeway on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:29 am

i thought i just invented ham roses but it turns out folks have been rollin them and i had no idea

ham roses
1. roll your ham like roses
2. stick them inside green peppers or with fresh parsley or other herbs
3. the end

also works with salami

Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion