home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

The all encompassing Computer help thread

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: The all encompassing Computer help thread

Postby eliya on Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:56 pm

madlee wrote:
eliya wrote:What about the load cycle count, though? Once the head parking arm dies, the drive is gone also, no?

Disc recovery can be expensive. The more damage the more expensive and there's no guarantee that they can recover anything.

Some places have the ability to disassemble your drive and rebuild it with a new arm and head.

Followup: I think the real problem was the data cable between the HDD and the logic board. I found that out after replacing the HDD with an SSD (Samsung EVO 850 500GB) when I couldn't install OSX on it. I could install OSX on the new drive when it was connected to the machine using a dock. A new data cable and bracket fixed it. Still glad I replaced the HDD since it was well out of spec.
eliya
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby bishopdante on Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:47 am

Bad contacts are pretty much the Nº1 cause of basic electronic failures.

That's why a lot of RAM is soldered onto the board these days (people complain ignorantly about this engineering choice) – the slots can produce bad contact, once they develop a problem the machine won't even boot.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell
bishopdante
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby CSP_Skater on Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:23 am

I have:

a bunch of Windows computers with a batch file on them.

I need to:

from a separate computer, make this batch file run on demand.

Any ideas? (I don't want to use psexec.exe.)
CSP_Skater
julie from mod squad
julie from mod squad

Postby rappard on Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:23 am

CSP_Skater wrote:I have:

I need to:

wmic?

Edit: oh, and assuming you have PowerShell (i.e., any recent Windows version):
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 19505.aspx
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 49719.aspx
Robert Bork wrote:[S]ome of the worst rappers are white, like Nine Inch Nails.
rappard
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby ginger on Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:44 pm

Hi - can anyone tell me how to make an Excel formula that will show a running inventory total by date?
The inventory gets reduced by set amounts on specific days so I won't be entering in any amounts to be subtracted after the initial formula is set up. I just want to be able to open the spread sheet on any given day and see my current total. Thanks in advance.
ginger
walter mondale
walter mondale

Postby LBx on Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:33 pm

Here's a thing:

I begrudgingly bought one f*cking "unavailable elsewhere" song from itunes and now I have a full artist bio/spam thing glued to the right of the track list. Any simple solution to be rid of this shit in version 12.3? I dug around for a bit but nothing was obvious. I also deleted the track but that didn't help...
LBx

Postby weezy on Sat May 21, 2016 2:18 pm

Hey nerds, here's a question for you. :smt007

This morning I discovered that my home wifi network name was changed to something rather offensive. Stupid me for not hiding it in the first place, I guess my bucolic neighborhood had me lulled into a false sense of non-douchebaggery. I plugged into my router and reset everything, updated the firmware, new network name/password/etc. so all is good as far as I can see.

How exactly did some asshole do this?
weezy
lt. kara 'starbuck' trace

Postby biscuitdough on Sat May 21, 2016 3:35 pm

rappard wrote:
CSP_Skater wrote:I have:

I need to:

wmic?

Edit: oh, and assuming you have PowerShell (i.e., any recent Windows version):
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 19505.aspx
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... 49719.aspx

The enterprise way to do it is to set up an Active Directory domain and put it (edit: your batch file) in the login script, but then you need a license for Windows Server.

Apparently you can do this with (open source solution) Samba, if you have a machine free to install Ubuntu or whatever onto and use as the domain controller.

http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.c ... lients.htm

http://www.oreilly.com/openbook/samba/book/ch06_06.html
biscuitdough
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby tbone on Sat May 21, 2016 7:22 pm

weezy wrote:Hey nerds, here's a question for you. :smt007

This morning I discovered that my home wifi network name was changed to something rather offensive. Stupid me for not hiding it in the first place, I guess my bucolic neighborhood had me lulled into a false sense of non-douchebaggery. I plugged into my router and reset everything, updated the firmware, new network name/password/etc. so all is good as far as I can see.

How exactly did some asshole do this?

They either knew, guessed, or cracked your password for both the wifi network and the router. In addition to the new wifi network name/password, make sure you change the router's admin password to something besides the default. Also make sure you aren't doing WEP security on the wifi network for the love of god.

Someone more well versed in network security can probably bore us all with how easy it is for an attacker to crack into any of these things, but what I talked about above is akin to at least shutting and locking the front door of your house.
I play guitar in Mayor For Life and Jackhammer Hearts
tbone
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby tbone on Sat May 21, 2016 7:24 pm

Also, what was the offensive network name?
I play guitar in Mayor For Life and Jackhammer Hearts
tbone
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby weezy on Sat May 21, 2016 11:57 pm

^ yeah, pretty much did everything you listed. What was weird was that the only thing they changed was the network name. They didn't change the login or network passwords etc. I had a pretty long/random strong password too. They just renamed it to 'motherfucker'. Which I guess isn't that offensive, but it's still fucking idiotic and annoying.
weezy

Postby biscuitdough on Sun May 22, 2016 12:08 pm

Other things you can do:

Change the IP address of the admin portal, if possible on your router. Leave it on 192.168.x.x though. I would say just change that third octet to something weird.

Stop broadcasting your SSID. If you add a new device or you share your wifi with friends when they come over, you'll/they'll need to manually add the network and type in both SSID and password, but that's not a big extra step.
biscuitdough

Postby weezy on Mon May 23, 2016 2:31 am

I changed what I could without making the router have a hissy fit, which was the 4th value. Everything else is updated, changed, hidden, etc.

Do I have any recourse here? Did the router log anything that might be of help? My girlfriend said I should notify my internet provider, but I'm pretty sure they have zero fucks to give.
weezy

Postby biscuitdough on Mon May 23, 2016 8:45 am

The router probably didn't log the changes, but you'd have to look up your particular router.

If you didn't have passwords on your devices, you should now.
biscuitdough

Postby Bigdumbfake1 on Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:21 pm

Hey, longtime user, but wanted to use a fake for security purposes.

We just got a new VOIP installed where I work, but ran into a snag with it. From the company doing the install:

The firewall that you have currently isn't performing the NAT correctly when sending outbound traffic. This means that when the phone system send traffic to the SIP trunk (meaning making outbound calls) it is presenting [internet provider]'s server with the internal IP of the phone system instead of the external IP. Everything is working because [internet provider] turned off the security feature of verifying the source IP. This does mean that if anyone obtained the credentials for your SIP trunk they could use your SIP trunk without your knowledge. This can lead to extra costs and potentially security breaches. I would recommend that we look at a newer firewall that can route the packets correctly and allow IP based rules.

The quote we got from them is:
1) 150/month for the firewall, 3 year license and full support
or
2) 2500 to buy the firewall with 3 year license and no support

Does this make sense? Is this stupid? Is there a cheaper way to do this?
Bigdumbfake1

Postby catwoman on Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:03 pm

I've got a Windows 7 laptop, and a Windows Vista desktop. I do backups as regularly as possible, although I've got 3 external backup drives, 2 full.

My big problem is duplication of files. On either machine, I can have multiple copies of music files, images, documents of all sorts. Then, there's cross duplication across the two computers, but I don't even care to try and manage that at all, hoping that some day I will be forced to buy a modern computer to replace the Vista one and maybe I could finally set up a NETWORK between the two machines, and have some bigass drive for all my files. But that's in the future... I've had some say, "why de-duplicate, file space is cheap", but FINDING stuff is becoming impossible, when stuffs scattered around in multiple places.

For now, my main question is easy;
What software do you used to scan for and manage file duplicates? I sometimes used Auslogics "Duplicate File Finder", but wonder if there's something better, easier and near free.

(as an aside, I sure wish I could figure out a way to manage the thousands of image files (photos, mostly) and don't even get me going on music... I have the same song in different formats, tried to move out of iTunes, but never found a better tool, so my music's all a mess, as well.)
catwoman
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby the finger genius on Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:36 pm

Bigdumbfake1 wrote:Hey, longtime user, but wanted to use a fake for security purposes.

We just got a new VOIP installed where I work, but ran into a snag with it. From the company doing the install:

The firewall that you have currently isn't performing the NAT correctly when sending outbound traffic. This means that when the phone system send traffic to the SIP trunk (meaning making outbound calls) it is presenting [internet provider]'s server with the internal IP of the phone system instead of the external IP. Everything is working because [internet provider] turned off the security feature of verifying the source IP. This does mean that if anyone obtained the credentials for your SIP trunk they could use your SIP trunk without your knowledge. This can lead to extra costs and potentially security breaches. I would recommend that we look at a newer firewall that can route the packets correctly and allow IP based rules.

The quote we got from them is:
1) 150/month for the firewall, 3 year license and full support
or
2) 2500 to buy the firewall with 3 year license and no support

Does this make sense? Is this stupid? Is there a cheaper way to do this?

I know firewalls can do weird things to IP addresses that generally come in hand with security features. Do you have any support on the current firewall, can they confirm if the behavior they described is what's really happening or if there is some other setting that needs to be configured differently?
jimmy two hands wrote:Then we all log off internet and eat nachos. All is well.

Eighteen Hundred and Froze to Death
the finger genius
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby blackmarket on Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:22 am

catwoman wrote:I've got a Windows 7 laptop, and a Windows Vista desktop. I do backups as regularly as possible, although I've got 3 external backup drives, 2 full.

My big problem is duplication of files. On either machine, I can have multiple copies of music files, images, documents of all sorts. Then, there's cross duplication across the two computers, but I don't even care to try and manage that at all, hoping that some day I will be forced to buy a modern computer to replace the Vista one and maybe I could finally set up a NETWORK between the two machines, and have some bigass drive for all my files. But that's in the future... I've had some say, "why de-duplicate, file space is cheap", but FINDING stuff is becoming impossible, when stuffs scattered around in multiple places.

For now, my main question is easy;
What software do you used to scan for and manage file duplicates? I sometimes used Auslogics "Duplicate File Finder", but wonder if there's something better, easier and near free.

(as an aside, I sure wish I could figure out a way to manage the thousands of image files (photos, mostly) and don't even get me going on music... I have the same song in different formats, tried to move out of iTunes, but never found a better tool, so my music's all a mess, as well.)

There are applications that will find duplicates. You can search online for them. I don't have personal experience. An easy, down and dirty way would be to connect both drives to one computer, copying everything from one to the other, overwriting all duplicates when prompted. You should be able to do this in the first dialog. Reformat and use the copied from drive as your new, fresh back-up. Put that other drive in a closet.

I prefer cloning drives using software that checks for and does not address files that were already cloned or backed-up in the previous session. This software will read timestamps and modified dates, only copying new data to the drive. This helps to prevent or at least limit the potential of file corruption. I thought most back-up software did this, but maybe I am wrong. I also use the various computers we have around the house for specific purposes. This helps to eliminate duplicates across units. All of our Windows and Mac computers are networked wirelessly through our router. If I want to edit a file, listen to a song, or watch a movie, I can do this all through the network. Of course, you might run into trouble if the file size is large. A flash drive can be used for those. As long as you have wi-fi in the house, you shouldn't need any extra equipment to network your current units together right now. Vista and 7 do this easily. They may have already found each other on the network. You may be able access each right now by going into your local network.
blackmarket
meatball enthusiast
meatball enthusiast

Postby rappard on Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:24 am

catwoman wrote:I've got a Windows 7 laptop, and a Windows Vista desktop. I do backups as regularly as possible, although I've got 3 external backup drives, 2 full.
My big problem is duplication of files. [...]

Why don't you use Dropbox or BitTorrent Sync?

catwoman wrote:What software do you used to scan for and manage file duplicates? I sometimes used Auslogics "Duplicate File Finder", but wonder if there's something better, easier and near free.

I used Auslogics for a long time, but for my particular use case (music, photos) the following two work better:
* http://digitalvolcano.co.uk/duplicatecleaner.html
* http://doubles.sourceforge.net/

catwoman wrote:[...] tried to move out of iTunes, but never found a better tool, so my music's all a mess, as well.

iToonz blows. Get dBpoweramp or MediaMonkey.

blackmarket wrote:An easy, down and dirty way would be to connect both drives to one computer, copying everything from one to the other, OVERWRITING all duplicates

No offense meant, but that's dumb - what if one of the files is corrupted? Better to accept the "... (2)" duplicates and remove those later.

blackmarket wrote:I prefer cloning drives using software that checks for and does not address files that were already cloned or backed-up in the previous session.

Much agreed, but tools like FreeFileSync or rsync aren't for everyone.
rappard
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby rappard on Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:30 am

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote:I'm tired of my music setup at present. I keep all my digital stuff as tidy as possible but a lot of it has been fucked by Apple's many foibles.

All I want is a hierarchy of Artist / Release / (Disc number, if multiples), Track.

I can sort that manually. 99% is probably done already. But once done I'd like a media player that respects the hierarchy instead of doing all sorts of arbitrary, heinous shit to it.

If anyone has a similar set-up then, I'd like to know. PC, not Mac.

I mostly rely on various shell scripts and foobar2000/mplayer nowadays, but in the past I've used and liked:

* Clementine
* dBpoweramp
* MediaMonkey
* MusicBee
* Nightingale

Disclaimers: not sure which of these are still actively developed/maintained. Hence, ordered alphabetically - for what it's worth, I preferred MediaMonkey. http://alternativeto.net/ probably has more suggestions.
rappard
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion