home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

amanda "$1.2m" palmer wants you to play with her for free

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: amanda "$1.2m" palmer wants you to play with her for fre

Postby Ernest on Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:24 pm

The only musician that could get away with this without a rumble, is Paul Westerberg.
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby numberthirty on Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:24 pm

DrAwkward wrote:There's goofy gimmicky fun, and then there's taking yourself too seriously. Six of one, half dozen of the other, i suppose.

I still own a straight edge shirt. Maybe I've got more of a taking yourself too seriously tolerance built up.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby numberthirty on Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:26 pm

Ernest wrote:The only musician that could get away with this without a rumble, is Paul Westerberg.

I'd fork money over to Axl Rose just for the Kickstarter updates. Now, that's a guy who takes himself too seriously.
numberthirty

Postby DrAwkward on Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:26 pm

numberthirty wrote:
DrAwkward wrote:There's goofy gimmicky fun, and then there's taking yourself too seriously. Six of one, half dozen of the other, i suppose.

I still own a straight edge shirt. Maybe I've got more of a taking yourself too seriously tolerance built up.

Apropos of nothing, this reminds me of an awesome joke i heard somewhere: "How can you tell if someone's a vegan? Don't worry, they'll fucking tell you."
Stinky Pete wrote:BDSM is a bit like Queens of the Stone Age in that it's basically fine to be into, but a bit worrying if you're obsessed with it.

Body Futures
IfIHadAHiFi
Martian Dance Invasion!
DrAwkward
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby numberthirty on Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:33 pm

DrAwkward wrote:
numberthirty wrote:

Apropos of nothing, this reminds me of an awesome joke i heard somewhere: "How can you tell if someone's a vegan? Don't worry, they'll fucking tell you."

Dude, that is a whole other level.

Once, I went with an ex to visit a college friend. His lady grew up full on vegan straight edge. We had a field day talking about just how silly it could get(although she was still vegan).
numberthirty

Postby bomberz1qr20 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:14 pm

BadComrade wrote:
bomberz1qr20 wrote:
If you missed her list of expenses (which I believe she made before getting the million) check this shit out:

http://www.amandapalmer.net/blog/where- ... by-amanda/

Funny that she quotes Steve's article, and after he outlays the complete rape of the average band by the industry, she straight up admits to whoring herself to it:

"if you compare his numbers to my numbers (below), the similarities are striking, but that shouldn’t be surprising.
it COSTS REAL MONEY to manufacture and distribute a record, to have a staff and a publicist, to promote an artist and tour a band.
that will never truly change."

Well she found a way to eliminate that one expense, right? So she isn't an idiot. She's a fucking cheapskate.

So I have a new money saving strategy based on her fucked up logic: next time I tour I'm getting people to drum tech for me at each town for hugs and Mountain Dew. Also, they will have the privilege of being in my presence. How awesome of me.
Cause you know, I spent the tour money on eyeliner and shit.
bomberz1qr20
joseph cornell
joseph cornell

Postby tallchris on Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:27 pm

bomberz1qr20 wrote:
So I have a new money saving strategy based on her fucked up logic: next time I tour I'm getting people to drum tech for me at each town for hugs and Mountain Dew. Also, they will have the privilege of being in my presence. How awesome of me.
Cause you know, I spent the tour money on eyeliner and shit.

I bet some dudes would do it for weed and hi-fives, but then they'd smoke all the weed, forget what they were there to do, and there would be no reason to give a hi-five.
Bass, minivan: [BRACKETS]
Guitar, vocals: BURN PERMITS
Bass, vocals: POLICE TEETH
tallchris
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby turnbullac on Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:35 pm

Oh man now I finally realize why Transmontane* is not famous yet. I need to be more free with my body/nudity! I'll start right now!

NSFW

*bandcamp link embedded for any lazy bloggers
turnbullac
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby plasticflame on Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:51 pm

I skimmed the article. The idea of inviting people to play sounds nice/fun, I hope the people at least aren't required to buy their ticket to the show.
If she did the math right on her blog, it sounds like she made close to $40K before the albums were even sold, before she went on tour with no backing musicians. That sounds nice. I'd like to have that problem. I know several professional musicians who would like to have that problem as well.
evanrowe: goddammit why can i not paste images of crying eagles

I make posters: plastic flame press
I also make musics: mplstv.
plasticflame
francis harry compton crick
francis harry compton crick

Postby noise&light on Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:57 pm

turnbullac wrote:Oh man now I finally realize why Transmontane* is not famous yet. I need to be more free with my body/nudity! I'll start right now!

NSFW

Where can I send my money?
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
noise&light

Postby lemur68 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:11 pm

turnbullac wrote:Oh man now I finally realize why Transmontane* is not famous yet. I need to be more free with my body/nudity! I'll start right now!

NSFW

You already got the bush.
big_dave wrote:This is just about finding a dorky selfie on his blogspot?

Jesus, this is the Space Ace by Don Bluth of internet intrigue.
lemur68

Postby jurgis rudkus on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:11 pm

BadComrade wrote:
If you missed her list of expenses (which I believe she made before getting the million) check this shit out:

http://www.amandapalmer.net/blog/where- ... by-amanda/

first comment wrote:People in general need to learn a small lession. Be happy. Why tear down someone because they are successfull? It takes so much work.

and then Amanda Palmer wrote:this is the best comment ever.

It's like fucking Wall Street/GOP handbook shit. 'Job-creators' and all that shit.
Honk If You Demand Satisfaction

There is an epidemic of people being 'offended' by things as some kind of hobby.
- Mark Kozelek
jurgis rudkus

Postby Justin Foley on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:19 pm

People who clearly understand money as a means for a particular end tend to be my kind of folks. They have the right perspective.

People who clearly understand money as an end to itself are fucking awful but at least they've figured themselves out and you can often get out of the way quick.

People who just kinda see money as an ongoing means to a never accomplishable end are about 99% of the world (often myself included) and can range from benign to an un-self-aware force for disaster.

I'm going with column B or C for Ms. Palmer. She's either a super charlatan or mistakes exploiting people for audience interaction. Of course it's entirely up to each of them to give her money. Place your bets now on how people will look back on it. I'm guessing her name will become a synonym for crowd-source ripoff. She's certainly behaving that way, from the little I gather about her.

= Justin
Last edited by Justin Foley on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justin Foley
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby jayryan on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:44 pm

Justin Foley wrote:She's certainly behaving that way, from the little I gleam about her.

= Justin

i think you mean glean.
Hope I die before I get flu!
jayryan
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby Anitrak on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:26 pm

People will volunteer to play. people will show up. the shows will be sloppy. People will complain. others will think it's reaching a new height in connecting with her fans. Neil Gaiman will have weird tantric sex and we'll all get on with our lives.
Anitrak
strongbad
strongbad

Postby scary bodega on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:35 pm

Wikipedia wrote:

Narcissistic personality disorder

Symptoms of this disorder include:
-Taking advantage of others to reach their own goals
-Requiring constant attention and positive reinforcement from others
-Lacking empathy and disregarding the feelings of others
-Setting goals that are unrealistic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder
scary bodega
hiwatt
hiwatt

Postby Justin Foley on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:41 pm

jayryan wrote:
Justin Foley wrote:She's certainly behaving that way, from the little I gleam about her.

= Justin

i think you mean glean.

Sorry. My mind drifted and I started thinking about Gleaming the Cube. I'll fix it.

= Justin
Justin Foley

Postby Ernest on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:43 pm

amelia wrote:You all need to get over yourselves. Amanda has a cool 1.2 million and the bottom line is you are all pissed. Can a woman live?

No one here cares about this because she's a woman. We 'care' because it's stupid. Like a train wreck in slo-mo.
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Ptommydski on Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:52 pm

It's painful when journalists lift posts verbatim off of this forum for a variety of reasons - mostly because it seems very lazy and also it's kind of offensive to remove the context of posts. It blows because it means that certain people have to be more guarded about their comments so they don't get massively blown out of proportion or exaggerated. It also sucks because people here are pretty close because of years of interaction and so most of us understand the tone, pacing and humour of the forum. There's a disclaimer to the above coming later though.

Personally, I don't like Amanda Palmer's music and I didn't like the Dresden Dolls either. However, I have to say that I also support her using Kickstarter rather than dealing with labels. I mentioned in the other thread that once a label refused to put out a video she'd already wrapped on because she looked fat. That was one hundred percent the reason they wouldn't release the video into the public. She looked fat. Not that it matters but I've seen the relevant video (in passing, it was bizarrely named after the football team I support) and it would not have crossed my mind. This was a notoriously bad independent music label in the UK but I totally understand why bullshit like this made her cut out the middle man between her and her fans.

The people who pointed out that her accounting is suspect are entirely correct. Amanda Palmer spends a seriously extravagant amount of money on her presentation and marketing amongst other things. To the average punk rocker this will seem insane but I guess we should consider the fact that she's moving in total different circles. Her stuff seems to be more vaudeville theatre than anything else and I can understand why by her unique standards, this seems like a normal thing to do. I think her fans understand this also, which is why they give her so much money. There's an argument that this is exploitative but I don't know how well I could argue this without denying her many fans their own agency.

I think the chap Conan posted is probably the most useful perspective regarding the incident with the musicians volunteering to play with her. They get to play with an artist they like and participate in a show which they would presumably go to anyhow. Again, since you'd have to be really sure you wanted to participate, I'm not sure the issue of payment is as big a deal as the union musicians and people used to playing small indie rock shows are making out. I think this is a question of differing perspectives converging as if there is one universally correct way to behave as an artist, when in reality there are lots of different opinions and standards. She could have paid those dudes but then again, they wanted to be there and they got to see a show and have a drink. If you offered me the chance to do that with an artist I love, I'd laugh in your face if you claimed I was being exploited.

There's another aspect of this incident which I feel like should be addressed though - the fact that essentially what this looks like from the perspective of an outsider is a bunch of men calling a woman a cunt and making some really inappropriate comments about her appearance. I know that most people here understand that when certain folks make ribald or surreal jokes about this sort of thing, they know that it's in the context of running jokes or personae which make sense if you've been on the forum for years and years. However, I also think that it sort of ruins the legitimacy of some otherwise valid comments by framing it with all these totally unnecessary comments about her appearance.

It's a bummer to have to even consider this but since more and more people visit the forum just to copy and paste Albiz's reactions to whatever is happening in the world of music, it might be worth remembering that there's a whole world outside this forum who don't have context. They just see a bunch of dudes queuing up to make some bizarrely personal observations about the personal life and hygiene of a woman, more or less apropos of nothing aside from a difference in artistic modus operandi. I don't think it's necessary and I think it's a shame because it presents the total opposite picture to the one I'm familiar with in terms of Electrical Audio as an entity and the PRF in general.
Ptommydski
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby bomberz1qr20 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:11 pm

Taking money DIY style and spending it Music Industry Corporate Whore style while NOT paying the contributing artists that are a feature at your performances (and help to get people in the door) is .....

FUCKING

LAME

Back in the day we had a name for people who took money from fans and ripped off performing artists - they were called record company executives.

I guess she has a bright future.
bomberz1qr20
joseph cornell
joseph cornell

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion