home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

amanda "$1.2m" palmer wants you to play with her for free

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: amanda "$1.2m" palmer wants you to play with her for fre

Postby jimmy two hands on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:04 am

I think she's having a contest with Billy Corgan over who can be the most insufferable jackass in music. She's winning hard this week.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Dudley on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:42 am

Wow. Is that what she actually does? That's what people pay her $110K a month on Patreon for? Uke covers of late 80's rap? I genuinely had no idea. I knew it probably wouldn't be my thing, but lordy... And that's (unbelievably) without even considering the n-word-ing.

I feel old. The older I get, the less I understand. Where's the fun in the that? Or the beauty?

Most music I don't like, even music I hate, I'm usually glad that someone's making it. That?

No. Sorry. No.
Seby wrote:How does the sting of marginalisation taste now, you pick-using oppressors?
Dudley
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby seanurban on Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:55 am

MatthewK wrote:dude you can refer to the word without putting it in its full ugliness - please redact your post

i think that was the intent.
not to make you uncomfortable, but to weaponize your ire against amanda.
seanurban
King High

Postby Me Again on Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:17 pm

Amanda "Uke and N-bombs" Palmer: Congrats on making CocoRosie seem pretty great by comparison.
...with Euro-Sprockets coming at you from every direction.
Me Again
suspicious flashlight
suspicious flashlight

Postby Boombats on Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:24 pm

MatthewK wrote:dude you can refer to the word without putting it in its full ugliness - please redact your post

Pardon me, but are you descended from African victims of the slave trade? If not, then you're just another member of the long list of white people who have tried to police my language. My father is a nigger, and I am a nigger, so unless you're a nigger too then go fuck yourself.

seanurban wrote:i think that was the intent.

I don't understand what you're saying. You're right that I was not trying to make anyone uncomfortable, but trying to weaponize Palmer's shit is like putting boogers in a jar of anthrax. She doesn't need my help to be toxic.
Escape Rope / Blxck Onion / Black Mesa
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby MatthewK on Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:28 pm

I apologise - I was motivated by someone coming to the forum and seeing that word in play. I was unaware you were Black.
MatthewK
howard lederer
howard lederer

Postby Boombats on Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:32 pm

Maybe someone coming to the forum should be more concerned with a crowd-funded millionaire using the word than a forum member, regardless of my skin color, quoting the word. If she can say it, if Patti Smith can say it, but I can't, then we're in "Antifa are the real Nazis" territory.
warmowski wrote:Fire back, absolutely, always and forever no matter how much it blows Andy's mind.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby seanurban on Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:21 pm

Boombats wrote:
seanurban wrote:i think that was the intent.
I don't understand what you're saying. You're right that I was not trying to make anyone uncomfortable, but trying to weaponize Palmer's shit is like putting boogers in a jar of anthrax. She doesn't need my help to be toxic.
I'm not sure what boogers do in a jar of anthrax either, but I think we're on the same page.
seanurban
King High

Postby Boombats on Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:29 pm

cool
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Boombats on Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:31 pm

MatthewK wrote:I apologise

Hey, I'm sorry for telling you to fuck yourself. I have a real hatred of people who think their ideology trumps my experience, but I believe that wasn't what you were doing.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby MatthewK on Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:12 pm

Thanks - I can see how a lifetime of people trying to shut you down would make my post look like just one more fucking example. My only motivation was thinking about someone seeing the word sitting there on the page unchallenged. But Palmer is a shitstain and needs calling out.
MatthewK
howard lederer
howard lederer

Postby hackthesidesaway on Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:31 pm

who is her constituency/fanbase at this point?
hackthesidesaway
pope
pope

Postby Boombats on Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:55 pm

Whomever's still seriously into steampuke I guess
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby biscuitdough on Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:13 pm

Theater kids
biscuitdough
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby bishopdante on Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:24 am

Dudley wrote:

Wow. Is that what she actually does? That's what people pay her $110K a month on Patreon for? Uke covers of late 80's rap? I genuinely had no idea. I knew it probably wouldn't be my thing, but lordy... And that's (unbelievably) without even considering the n-word-ing.

I feel old. The older I get, the less I understand. Where's the fun in the that? Or the beauty?

Most music I don't like, even music I hate, I'm usually glad that someone's making it. That?

No. Sorry. No.

She seems to thinks it's tittilatingly scandalous, like a sort of wink wink nudge nudge cleverclever hipster snarky "we know better so we're allowed" thing. ooo taboo.

My original responses, all of which I deleted before posting, thrice, go like this.

Take 1:
Fuck

--------
Take 2:
Fuckin' 'ell

--------
Take 3:
OK, well if you want a role-reversal pantomime for your warped post-postmodern minstrelaemia show, how's about we find a whole bunch of black people to chase you down the road with burning torches and a rope, yelling "it's lynchin' time". It would not be too hard, with material like that, to add some of that pantomime.

--------
Nah man, that shit ain't worth the time of day. Delete.

Best not.

Definitely, best not.

Ow.

Don't make me watch that shit again. What the hell is she up to? Man.

"springtime... for hitler... and germany...

... winter... for poland and france"

https://youtu.be/1zY1orxW8Aw

I mean, if such material was proposed as a scandalous and horrible dead-cert stage-bomb gone wrong, as a meta-script inside a very dicey comedy script, I wouldn't even be sure about being able to do "nigger nigger" ukelele covers, performed by some trashbat ironic pseudo-moll fauxbian.

It's a grotesque method of extracting attention and narcissistic supply. It'll get yer a reaction.

Or chased down the road, potentially.

Probably best not book dates for that show in Freetown, Sierra Leone, or Johannesburg S.A. Or Atlanta, Philadelphia, Rio de Janeiro...

Don't come playing that round my neighbourhood, neither. I wouldn't throw beer, like what happened to Nickelback. Or piss in beer bottles. It'd be chairs, crown macrotech amps, 2x15 subs, mixing desks, and band members getting hurled.

Into the road, not at the stage. At the stage too. Wherever they hide, really.

Better get chickenwire over the stage like they had in Alabama in the '50s. Y'know, it'd work visually with the show, right.

I reckon the best solution would be to put a stinkbomb somewhere. As a tribute.
Last edited by bishopdante on Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Code: Select all
01100011 01101111 01101110 01100111 01110010 01100001 01110100 01110101 01101100 01100001 01110100 01101001 01101111 01101110 01110011
bishopdante
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Boombats on Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:34 am

bishopdante wrote:Take 3: OK, well if you want a role-reversal pantomime for your warped post-postmodern minstrel show, how's about we find a whole bunch of black people to chase you down the road with burning torches and a rope, yelling "it's lynchin' time".

She lives in a town with a lot of black people so this is doable
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby bishopdante on Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:45 am

I'd even go so far as to say likely.
Code: Select all
01100011 01101111 01101110 01100111 01110010 01100001 01110100 01110101 01101100 01100001 01110100 01101001 01101111 01101110 01110011
bishopdante
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Boombats on Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:54 am

I assume she wouldn't shit where she eats but she is disgusting so who knows. Haven't ever heard of her performing in this area though, probably for similar reasons.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Clyde on Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:28 pm

jimmy two hands wrote:She hired a journalist to write up an article about her tour.

She toured the show around the USA and it was very well-received by her fans, but made little impact in the wider media. That was when I got an email from her. We’ve known each other socially for ten years, she was familiar with my writing, and she wanted me to chronicle the European tour “like Almost Famous, but with fewer drugs and more abortion”, and instead of working for Rolling Stone I would be getting paid directly by her community on the website Patreon, who each pay a couple of dollars a month towards Amanda’s projects.

https://medium.com/we-are-the-media/the ... 2ff8dc0fbc

uff da.

I read that whole article. It wasn't "Almost Famous," which implies a warts and all overview. It wasn't even hagiography, it was propaganda. I don't know why I should have expected anything but.

Here is but one example of what among, well, a lot.

Amanda played long past her deadline, until her lateness went from fashionable to emergency and she had to be hustled away. Without her presence, the crowd fragmented. I snatched a moment with the organiser Udo, barefooted and draped in earth-toned clothes.

“We are not political,” he assured me. “The project is just about bringing people together.”

I disagreed. Bringing people together is the essence of politics. Making art about the world is political. Amanda may be a singer, but it was clear to me that at the same time she was deeply engaging with the politics of the moment.

That's some A Burns For All Seasons shit right there and it's not even the worst example.

It also really bothers me that instead of paying the author out of her own pocket AFP set up a separate Patreon for it to make her fans pay for her own publicity. And it's not like this was done so that the writer had full editorial control over their piece. Because they clearly did not.

Incredible to me that playing bullshitty twee songs on a ukulele isn't even among the 25 most insufferable things about Amanda Palmer.
NewDarkAge wrote:Dialectics, mate. No easy answers.
Clyde

Postby Tommy Alpha on Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:57 am

Is she entirely sustained by people forgetting to cancel their direct debits at this point?
Tommy Alpha
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion