home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

amanda "$1.2m" palmer wants you to play with her for free

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: amanda "$1.2m" palmer wants you to play with her for fre

Postby madmanmunt on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:28 pm

Ptommydski wrote:They just see a bunch of dudes queuing up to make some bizarrely personal observations about the personal life and hygiene of a woman, more or less apropos of nothing aside from a difference in artistic modus operandi.

You meant to write "grooming", right?

And "ethical", too?
Book of Leo, Chapter 19 Verse 46 wrote:The man thought that he knew the glory and the wrath wrought of the Stratocaster, but lo! He was corrected.

Let them measure my anus and see if it is dilated.
madmanmunt
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Ptommydski on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:30 pm

Sure, why not.
Ptommydski
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Ernest on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:31 pm

amelia wrote:Oh I just added the last part tongue in cheek, like "can a n*gga live" type deal. You know, like let her do whatever she wants with the money the fans gave her. She let them know it was all going to be misspent from the beginning, they were dumb enough to give her the cash. Everyone seems happy.

BUT THAT'S NOT FUUUUNNNN!

what is it with you and the Moz?
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Evin Relocation on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:32 pm

I had a twitter fight with Amanda last year after stating that I didn't want to stick around to hear her set at Occupy LA. I called it a cred grab or some such, and she wrote me back saying "Dude I have no cred" or something along those lines. I wrote her back with a link to this chunklet article and the words "I know."

I just saw it as wanting it both ways. Which is how I see this, btw.

"Let them eat cake!"

(BTW, her fans are worse than juggalos cross-mated with lemmings. I think I encouraged a few bathroom suicide attempts inadvertently. Also the dude from Neurosis is killing it in this thread.)
Evin Relocation
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby Ernest on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:32 pm

Tommy's on the male feminist extravaganza again. Fuck.
Marsupialized wrote:A bus will crash and there'd be three people stepping over injured children to get out saying 'fuck them' it's just how it is with people.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby madmanmunt on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:41 pm

Ptommydski wrote:Sure, why not.

Ok, just wanted to make sure you weren't conflating women who do not depilate with women who do not wash.

Because that's not very feminist.
Book of Leo, Chapter 19 Verse 46 wrote:The man thought that he knew the glory and the wrath wrought of the Stratocaster, but lo! He was corrected.

madmanmunt
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Ptommydski on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:42 pm

Ernest wrote:Tommy's on the male feminist extravaganza again. Fuck.

Yeah that's me, I'm a really good feminist! :smt005

I think we went over this a few times but I'll play along for the sake of old times. You can absolutely call every other woman a cunt if it means that much to you but by way of return, I get to make a long, tedious post asking people not to do it. I'd say it's a wash.
Ptommydski

Postby Ernest on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:43 pm

Cool. I didn't call her anything though.

I don't know who this woman is, just that she, like all women, don't know money.
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Ptommydski on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:44 pm

madmanmunt wrote:
Ptommydski wrote:Sure, why not.

Ok, just wanted to make sure you weren't conflating women who do not depilate with women who do not wash.

Because that's not very feminist.

It's lucky that wasn't my point then isn't it?

I was one-shoe-on half-way out the door when writing that post so I couldn't get all the right words. I appreciate your correction but I'll let it stand because I hate editing posts.
Ptommydski

Postby Ptommydski on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:45 pm

Ernest wrote:I don't know who this woman is, just that she, like all women, don't know money.

I feel like this is a joke or reference I don't get?
Ptommydski

Postby subprime on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:46 pm

Isn't the opposite usually true in households? all the mothers I know are more fiscally responsable than their husbands.

they are educated though, that might be the diff.
subprime
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Miel on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:46 pm

People. She does shave.

(Her eyebrows off.)
Sole proprietor of Celiac.
Bandcamp | Facebook | @celiacmusic | Weblog
Miel
star
star

Postby subprime on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:48 pm

subprime

Postby Ernest on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:54 pm

Ptommydski wrote:
Ernest wrote:I don't know who this woman is, just that she, like all women, don't know money.

I feel like this is a joke or reference I don't get?

Maybe, but I just thought it up. I like fake misogyny, so I thought, "what the hell?"
Ernest
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby scary bodega on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:55 pm

amelia wrote:
You need five symptoms to make a diagnosis, Doc.

You're absolutely right, of course.

Of the criteria, I could only settle on these...

1. Has a grandiose sense of self-importance.
3. Believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
4.Requires excessive admiration
6.Is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends

I guess she's totally okay then.
scary bodega
hiwatt
hiwatt

Postby ERawk on Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:57 pm

OK. I gotta say some shit on this front.

I'm one of very few on this board who has been a hired semi-pro/pro classical musician as a french horn player. My first paying gig was at 18 years of age. I was AFM 38-398 in Westerchester Co. for roughly 5-6 years. My chops on horm are currently sienna turd in color.

I have a vagina. So I think I pass (P)Tommysdki's litmus test for mysogyny.

I got paid way more for playing in the Yonkers Philharmonic. For $125, they required roughly 3-4 rehearsals and a concert. I got paid more than Amanda Palmer's suckers.

I got paid way more in playing for public school high school musicals. For $400-$600
they required roughly 2 rehearsals and at most 4 performances. Full disclosure: most but not all were in prestige public school districts in Westchester Co. New York. I got paid more than Amanda Palmer's suckers.

These gigs were roughly 8-10 years ago in a posh area of the world, but I was valued more by the City of Yonkers (which is no fucking cash cow) and some public school districts than Amanda Palmer values classically trained wind and brass players, which I believe her music may require.

The performing arts budgets 8-10 years ago for the high schools I was paid to play in their pit as a ringer were comparable to or way less than what Ms. Palmer raised in her Kickstarter this year. Granted, the kids in the musical weren't getting paid, but at the same time the kids that weren't getting paid were the focus of the performances and not demanding that the bottled water be Perrier or whatever it is monied popular performers request in a rider. The ringers the school district hired to make sure the show sounded good because they had no current sutdent who played french horn well enough were not the focus nor the moneymaker (I never got paid for the pit work I did while a student at any high school and I played for other high schools, while in high school, that weren't my own).

I was always the kind of musician who if the circumstances were right (i.e. not for profit asking for my participation, good friend who had a day job or whatever, good experience builder) I would play for free. Other times, if I knew there was money to spare, I would ask for a fee of some sort. I got paid when I mauled George Crumb's A Haunted Landsacpe in front of him when I was 19 at the Bard Conductor's Institute (though he gave me a look of understanding when I was on the verge of tears). Hell, even this guy I was seeing for a spell in 2003 paid me for my services to play a few notes on his shitty country album.

When all is said and done, I think her conduct and accounting is fucking horrible, especially if she is getting a guarantee and a rider for her gigs. Spend extravigant amounts for some bullshit because she is acclimated to a different scence is bullshit. She freed herself from Roadrunner (man, I should get the DL from a person I know that works there), so why should she expect whatever it is she got from an indie with significant clout when she strikes it out on her own? Why can't she adjust to the reality of downsizing and creating a budget that covers her stupid bullshit and wind/brass players for her tours?

If she is getting guarantees and a rider in addition to the money she made on KickStarter, I belive that she can spare $50-$100 per player per concert easily despite all that shit if she is playing for at least 1,000+ people (I am assuming the venues are that she can sell out are that size). Whether or not she's in the same bubble as the rest of us in the "punk rock aesthetic" is irrelevant.

Then again, she might get lucky for ner NYC show and have a few fans in AFM 802 that will not ask her for anything because they just want to "have the experience" and already have a steady gig playing in the latest revival of "Cats" and don't need her fucking money.

I doubt she will be that lucky.

And as a person with a vagina (yeah, believe it or not, it's true, hipster lurkers who came here because they saw some stupid shit on Pitchfork), she can get bent for all I care with her piss poor accounting and lack of repect for the musicianship of brass and wind players.

ETA: Fuck, I'm sloppy right now...
Last edited by ERawk on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
You guys don't mind that I crash your little sausage party, right?

SecondEdition wrote:And also, just for the record - you have the best sig ever.

I was in a band with a cunt.
ERawk
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Ptommydski on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:07 pm

ERawk wrote:I have a vagina. So I think I pass (P)Tommysdki's litmus test for mysogyny.

I understand that this is a friendly jab but to clarify in case anyone else wants to dwell on this when there's no real need to do so any further.

I don't have an issue with people disagreeing with this woman but you don't really got to call her a cunt or make personal comments about her appearance. You didn't do either of these things, probably because you totally understand this. I don't think this is all that controversial!
Ptommydski

Postby ERawk on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:17 pm

Ptommydski wrote:
ERawk wrote:I have a vagina. So I think I pass (P)Tommysdki's litmus test for mysogyny.

I understand that this is a friendly jab but to clarify in case anyone else wants to dwell on this when there's no real need to do so any further.

I don't have an issue with people disagreeing with this woman but you don't really got to call her a cunt or make personal comments about her appearance. You didn't do either of these things, probably because you totally understand this. I don't think this is all that controversial!

Dude, you know my brand of piss and vinegar well enough at this point. Maybe not the taste, because that's only Col's knowledge...

That said, I don't get the make you eyebrows look like Divine aesthetic...
You guys don't mind that I crash your little sausage party, right?

SecondEdition wrote:And also, just for the record - you have the best sig ever.

I was in a band with a cunt.
ERawk
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby scary bodega on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:23 pm

ERawk wrote:

When all is said and done, I think her conduct and accounting is fucking horrible, especially if she is getting a guarantee and a rider for her gigs. Spend extravigant amounts for some bullshit because she is acclimated to a different scence is bullshit.

I think this is a fair assessment.
scary bodega
hiwatt
hiwatt

Postby madmanmunt on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:29 pm

Ptommydski wrote:

People doing cunty things can/should be called out on their cuntery, male or female.

Making comments about a vaudevillian's (your word) presentation of themselves, in their public works, is perfectly acceptable as far as I am concerned.

madmanmunt
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion