home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

amanda "$1.2m" palmer wants you to play with her for free

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: amanda "$1.2m" palmer wants you to play with her for fre

Postby 154 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:55 am

EmpireStateTroopers wrote:And to imply that we've been any more vicious towards this joke of a performer than we are towards your typical shitty entertainer (especially the kickstarter beggars)? give me a fucking break.

Yeah. I think the dude in Pomplamoose got more wrath than the chick, at least until she started her solo campaign.
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Luzwei on Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:55 am

THIS THREAD NEEDS MORE PENISES!!!
lemur68 wrote:A bite from a Lu Zworis is also highly venomous.

I Joe 4 play.
Luzwei
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby numberthirty on Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:56 am

EmpireStateTroopers wrote:this thread is fucked.

In one instance people are called sexist for talking about wanting to see titties and vagina...and in another case they're sexist for calling out this hack for using her titties and vagina to sell her subpar, creatively bankrupt music. what the fuck.
And to imply that we've been any more vicious towards this joke of a performer than we are towards your typical shitty entertainer (especially the kickstarter beggars)? give me a fucking break.

While I hear you, you can make the case without even bringing up things about her visual presentation.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby jeff_fox on Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:58 am

numberthirty wrote:

In one instance people are called sexist for talking about wanting to see titties and vagina...and in another case they're sexist for calling out this hack for using her titties and vagina to sell her subpar, creatively bankrupt music. what the fuck.
And to imply that we've been any more vicious towards this joke of a performer than we are towards your typical shitty entertainer (especially the kickstarter beggars)? give me a fucking break.

While I hear you, you can make the case without even bringing up things about her visual presentation.

yeah, but that's 95% of the presentation, so it's not totally irrelevant.

Luzwei wrote:THIS THREAD NEEDS MORE PENISES!!!

+1
8==============>
zom-zom wrote:Posterior means butt.
Gay Name|Hungry Man|MegaMaul|Blank Banker
jeff_fox
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Luzwei on Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:59 am

EmpireStateTroopers wrote:
Luzwei wrote:THIS THREAD NEEDS MORE PENISES!!!

+1
8==============>

moar laik

8>

:(
lemur68 wrote:A bite from a Lu Zworis is also highly venomous.

I Joe 4 play.
Luzwei
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby numberthirty on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:02 am

EmpireStateTroopers wrote:yeah, but that's 95% of the presentation, so it's not totally irrelevant.

I agree. However, it's like GG Allin. That he was always running around with his wang flappin' in the breeze is usually dead last on my list of reasons to criticize his music.
numberthirty

Postby jeff_fox on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:05 am

numberthirty wrote:
EmpireStateTroopers wrote:yeah, but that's 95% of the presentation, so it's not totally irrelevant.

I agree. However, it's like GG Allin. That he was always running around with his wang flappin' in the breeze is usually dead last on my list of reasons to criticize his music.

But that (as well as his shit eating/shit throwing) is undoubtedly the first thing people think about when they hear 'GG Allin' and think of him as a performer. Palmer is more of a performer than a musician, it seems. (which is why the 1.2m to record is all the more mind boggling...at least do a DVD, for christ's sake)
jeff_fox

Postby jeff_fox on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:06 am

EmpireStateTroopers wrote:at least do a DVDA, for christ's sake

FMP.
jeff_fox

Postby numberthirty on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:08 am

EmpireStateTroopers wrote: (which is why the 1.2m to record is all the more mind boggling...at least do a DVD, for christ's sake)

There were actually three video clips along with the bonus tracks in my download. That said, spend a little on a logistics/planning guy/gal.
numberthirty

Postby Colonel Panic on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:22 am

numberthirty wrote:

GG Allin's shit-covered nakedness may be last criticism on your list, but you can't tell me that none of the regulars on this forum have ever had a good hearty laugh about it. That's been one of the biggest jokes in rock music of the past 25 years.

GG made a sordid spectacle of himself, and so does Amanda Palmer in her own way. And that's why we're criticizing her for it. But it would be a mistake to argue that we don't mock men on this forum on the same basis. What about all the pages we spent poking fun at the shriveled micropenis of the hippy wizard dude who got tazed by the cops at Coachella Festival? What about all the mockery of the maudlin demeanor and goofy get-ups of a certain Chicago musician? What about all the bad tattoo pics we love to laugh at?

Mocking ridiculous-looking dudes never garners any criticism around here. Of course it's fine for anyone to comment on any given man parading around naked, dressing like a retarded clown or sporting outrageous grooming habits, but any opinion we may have regarding the grooming habits or personal appearance of a woman is off limits, and must be sexist by definition, right?

I'm calling bullshit.

Sorry Ptommy, but I'm not buying the argument that this double standard is acceptable because men outnumber women on this forum. As Mad Kap would say, "that shit's irrelevant."
All that glitters is not aluminum.
Colonel Panic

Postby AnthonyVillalobos on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:36 am

Watched the video. The lyrics could be interpreted as another passive swipe at her fans not getting their money back. I always thought Dresden Dolls was some Lifetime Original....no idea that was a band.

Shit sucked. She looks like Sheryl Crow's juggalo daughter.

Moving on.
AnthonyVillalobos

Postby danielruder on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:38 am

johnnyshape wrote:STEVE ALBINI'S INTERNET BEEF

Grill 'em! Fuckin' grill 'em!™

Oh little baby jesus this is funny.
Sowley wrote:I'm saying... her husband throws his shoulder out on the reg from high-fiving people.
danielruder
charlie brown
charlie brown

Postby JohnnyDoglands on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:47 am

Colonel Panic wrote:
numberthirty wrote:

GG Allin's shit-covered nakedness may be last criticism on your list, but you can't tell me that none of the regulars on this forum have ever had a good hearty laugh about it. That's been one of the biggest jokes in rock music of the past 25 years.

GG made a sordid spectacle of himself, and so does Amanda Palmer in her own way. And that's why we're criticizing her for it. But it would be a mistake to argue that we don't mock men on this forum on the same basis. What about all the pages we spent poking fun at the shriveled micropenis of the hippy wizard dude who got tazed by the cops at Coachella Festival? What about all the mockery of the maudlin demeanor and goofy get-ups of a certain Chicago musician? What about all the bad tattoo pics we love to laugh at?

Mocking ridiculous-looking dudes never garners any criticism around here. Of course it's fine for anyone to comment on any given man parading around naked, dressing like a retarded clown or sporting outrageous grooming habits, but any opinion we may have regarding the grooming habits or personal appearance of a woman is off limits, and must be sexist by definition, right?

I'm calling bullshit.

Sorry Ptommy, but I'm not buying the argument that this double standard is acceptable because men outnumber women on this forum. As Mad Kap would say, "that shit's irrelevant."

You guys nailed it. If I became well known for getting naked onstage, I'd expect jokes from both people I know and people I don't know about my cock-fro.

I suspect Amanda Palmer has heard all these jokes before and is OK with them, but who knows? I certainly doubt she'd want to be molly-coddled just because she's a woman.

It's a little mind-boggling that a bit of armpit and bush hair is still enough to cause a stir in 2012.
eliya wrote:Did you guys ever hear of GG Allin? He used to shove a mic up his butt!
JohnnyDoglands
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby Kate Rev on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:44 am

how many goths does it take to make a cheesecake?

none. there are no goths in cheesecake.
Kate Rev
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby W.L.Weller on Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:52 am

zom-zom wrote:Man, her crap isn't Goth.

Some of you have very malformed ideas of what Goth is.

Does it have anything to do with the image of a skeleton busking in a subway station in post-apocalyptic Paris?
W.L.Weller
howard shore
howard shore

Postby treasuretech on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:00 pm

W.L.Weller wrote:
zom-zom wrote:Man, her crap isn't Goth.

Some of you have very malformed ideas of what Goth is.

Does it have anything to do with the image of a skeleton busking in a subway station in post-apocalyptic Paris?

Would someone be kind enough to provide a clearly-defined categorical genealogy of the Emo>Goth>Musical Theatre>Pantomime>Clowning spectrum of dorky teen subcultures and their appropriate make-up thickness so we might settle this argument forever? I feel this is of great importance when hanging shit on an artist or their fanbase.

Or don't. Life is short.
If Neil Young were a horse, you'd shoot it.
treasuretech
seminarian
seminarian

Postby Toaster on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:10 pm

Apparently, Ms. Palmer also crowdsources her catering:

...they choose to spend their talent, time, (and money) cooking for the band. then they come eat with us. our gratitude is huge. we don’t have to order take-out from the falafel joint next to the venue, we get to meet cool people instead. i’ve made some great new friends like that. it all works out pretty great.

is it always perfect? hell no. do we sometimes end up with a five-course gourmet feast one night, and a sad/bland potato salad the next? hell yeah. is it worth it, and do we eat our sad potato salad with a smile? you bet we fucking do.

i’ve never come under fire for crowdsourcing food…but can you see the parallel? you could call us out for not putting our money to the local falafel joint, or for not hiring a cook for the tour. but that’s not the way we see it. we just see the joy around the table backstage as the rider wine flows and everybody involved has a good hang.

...but has wine on her rider.

The other odd highlight is that she apparently sometimes pays the musicians:

there were cities like new york where jherek – and everyone in the band – really wanted to make sure we had a 100% tried-and-true string corps. he didn’t want to bank on possibly risky volunteers that night.

So, fuck you if you don't live in New York, I guess.

From here : http://stereogum.com/1152761/amanda-pal ... -the-beef/
busbus wrote:I don't know if I have mentioned this before, but, I have a scar from jacking off too much at work back in 1990.
Toaster
viscount
viscount

Postby steve on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:19 pm

I'm not going to disagree, but since we all have to pick our battles I can't fault Ptommydski or anybody else for being on guard against creeping dudes-piling-on-a-woman type sexism, and even when I agree with the point I'm not going to be particularly loud in the chorus shouting "the sexism isn't too bad right now."
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby 154 on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:22 pm

Toaster wrote:The other odd highlight is that she apparently sometimes pays the musicians:

there were cities like new york where jherek – and everyone in the band – really wanted to make sure we had a 100% tried-and-true string corps. he didn’t want to bank on possibly risky volunteers that night.

So, fuck you if you don't live in New York, I guess.

From here : http://stereogum.com/1152761/amanda-pal ... -the-beef/

Yeah, it was also totally ok to pay her husband artist and artist/graphic designer friends a professional wage for their contributions, but a violin player in Ohio is probably not that good anyway and desperate for the exposure can do it for free... hell, less than free as it didn't even compensate for transportation and time-off.

Postby Auntie Ovipositor on Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:25 pm

The Loyalists are a rock band from Oakland, California
Auntie Ovipositor
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion