home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

JASON MOLINA Tribute page

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: JASON MOLINA Tribute page

Postby Ike on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:10 am

Nashville Moon as well. A gorgeous, somehow tight album.

He was a beautiful person. When he went away for a bit, I took the call to 'write him letters' seriously, and did so. Poured it all out there: three very distinct, pivotal moments of my life were seemingly soundtracked by the dude. This is over the course of YEARS of listening to his albums. I told him everything, like a confessional (so, was it more for me or him?), and tried to stress that his words, his art, really mattered, and mattered to people who don't take this stuff lying down.

He wrote back several letters (I'd only written him one), sometimes with just a piece of art. He was trying, you could tell. We have them at the house, in a box.

I can't get around his age. Dear fucking lord, that is really young.
Ike
the white ho
the white ho

Postby sbartolomei on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:27 am

So sad about this loss. Jason's music is an inspiration to me. The quaver in his voice, the woe... you could feel where his songs were coming from. There was a pain made tangible in those songs, yet a power and poise that always seemed triumphant. I have been listening to this video on repeat last night and today. Jason singing an old standard "Trouble in Mind"... at first it destroys you the way he sings that phrase, but again, there is something triumphant in his delivery, some solace.

Triumph on Jason! Your music meant a lot to so many people.

sbartolomei
sister
sister

Postby SecondEdition on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:49 am

tmidgett wrote:
bigc wrote:I'm so sorry to everyone who knew him. It sounds gut wrenching.

I've never had the pleasure of listening to any of his music. Where should I start?

Songs:Ohia, Didn't it Rain and the record called Magnolia Electric Co.

That's where I would start. Those are beautiful records.

Ghost Tropic may not be the "best" entry point - it's inaccessible, incredibly bleak and slower than molasses - but I really think it's a brilliant album.
Life...life...I know it's got its ups and downs.

In the someday, what's that sound.

CS. PC. MM.
SecondEdition
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Joss on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:22 pm

Good call on the Archive things. And on Ghost Tropic.
Condolences to his friends and family.
Jason was a lovely chap who I always thought I'd meet up with again after not being in touch for a few years. He left my old band a note and doodle in a Dublin record shop and when we met up was sweet, great company, and generous: Bringing a bottle of Knob Creek to play music at my mam's house that weekend, dropping in a box of doughnuts when we turned up the following year to record at EA, booking my other band a show in Bloomington with S:O and refusing a share in the proceeds, he and Darcie putting us up.
This ending seems very wrong.
Joss

Postby Ptommydski on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:42 pm

tmidgett wrote:
bigc wrote:I'm so sorry to everyone who knew him. It sounds gut wrenching.

I've never had the pleasure of listening to any of his music. Where should I start?

Songs:Ohia, Didn't it Rain and the record called Magnolia Electric Co.

That's where I would start. Those are beautiful records.

These are indisputably my favourite two albums of his considerable oeuvre. There is no doubt in my mind these are two of the best albums ever made. Ask me this last week and I'd have said the same. He made other very good records, a few okay ones. I'm not exaggerating - Didn't It Rain and Magnolia Electric Co. stand up with the best that anybody else has put out there. Nina Nastasia, Will Oldham and Neil Young would count these records amongst their best had they put these albums out. That good.

Like many of us here, I got the odd weird, disjointed and unsolicited email, FB message or PM on the forum from Jason. Sadly I only spent a few moments with him in person over the years but through our online exchanges I got to know him a little better. I got the impression he was in trouble but I didn't really understand the full extent. I feel pretty bad about the inanity of our final exchanges and that I didn't chase him up when he left the UK.

Stuff ain't so great right now in general and this hit me like a ton of bricks. Struggling for the last couple of days now. The thing I want to do is the very thing that I shouldn't. I haven't had a problem for a while but I think I'll lay off for a bit anyhow.

Sorry to everybody who was closer to JMo, I knew him just enough to get some idea of how this must be for you. My sincere condolences.
Ptommydski
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Donnie T on Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:29 pm

The first time I heard Jason's voice I was working in a small warehouse full of scooter parts on the North side. A friend put on "Blue Chicago Moon" and I dropped a box on my foot. His voice, the music and songwriting stunned me. I couldn't believe I hadn't heard of him before. The years since then I sought out all of Jason's recordings. Many musicians, actors, celebrites pass on quite often. But it's been a while since someone passed who seemingly gave everything to the music. I didn't know Jason, never met him but his music has been a part of me since I first heard those first few notes.
RIP Jason
Donnie T
convert
convert

Postby eephour on Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:24 pm

http://vimeo.com/8459878
The documentary of recording Josephine at EA

http://vimeo.com/30702742
The Road Becomes What You Leave doc.
eephour
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby jurgis rudkus on Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:02 pm

Steve V. wrote:
four_oclocker_2 wrote:The Molina family is still accepting donations to his medical fund as a memorial gift. You can donate here.

We can do this.

I don't see why the PRF couldn't band together and do a Songs: Molina bandcamp compilation with all proceeds going to this medical fund. Covers or originals, what have you.

I don't see why that can't be a thing we do here.

Call it a month to get the songs in. Then maybe a kind soul would master it and we put it out there for download for $10. Spread it around. Hopefully make a dent and help out.

I don't see why we can't do that.

I'm in. Fuck it. I'll spearhead it.

--
Cross-posted from my facebook:

"Songs: Molina."

A bandcamp compilation to help Jason Molina's family pay down some medical debt and other costs that have come about given his unfortunate passing.

Covers, originals, what have you. You have one month to get them to me at:

songsmolina@gmail.com

Sound just fine and good to everyone? Good. Start claiming songs or get to work doing something for this because I am holding you to it.

In the meantime: donate via PayPal to jasonashleymolina@gmail.com

Excellent, Steve V.
Honk If You Demand Satisfaction

There is an epidemic of people being 'offended' by things as some kind of hobby.
- Mark Kozelek
jurgis rudkus
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby 154 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:49 pm

MrFood wrote:
eephour wrote:http://vimeo.com/8459878
The documentary of recording Josephine at EA

Among the many striking things about this movie, the thing I find perhaps most unbelievable is the size of the 'pizza' the band are seen laying into during a break. Jason was obviously living in London at the time because he's heard remarking; "ya gotta understand - you just don't get stuff like this where I'm living right now."

On behalf of the whole of London, I would like to apologize for our evidently woefully inadequate pizza.

Don't worry, the deep dish novelty wears off real quick..

I've watched the "Josephine" doc several times and their working process blows me away. You would never know those songs were arranged and recorded in a few hours and recorded in single takes: they sound perfectly executed. It's also hard to see Molina's pain when his mind seems to be moving at a thousand miles per minute, but it was probably the other points in his life where the darkness crept in.

It's nice to see and remember him in his element, though. RIP.

Postby deverson1979 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:02 pm

Jason:

You have opened up worlds for me that no book nor poet ever could. May your spirit continue to cling to "that great highway moon"...

David
South Bend, IN
deverson1979

Postby greg on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:03 pm

I haven't seen a band perform together so easily in the studio before or since. That whole record was basically them tracking feet away from one another playing to each other, and responding to natural dynamics of the song.
We had a little pa speaker he would sing out of planted next to them so they could hear everything as naturally as could be. No volume wars between instruments, no guessing.
It was just about as ideal as you could get for that kind of music...
greg
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby noise&light on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:14 pm

Steve V. wrote:
four_oclocker_2 wrote:The Molina family is still accepting donations to his medical fund as a memorial gift. You can donate here.

We can do this.

I don't see why the PRF couldn't band together and do a Songs: Molina bandcamp compilation with all proceeds going to this medical fund. Covers or originals, what have you.

Call it a month to get the songs in. Then maybe a kind soul would master it and we put it out there for download for $10. Spread it around. Hopefully make a dent and help out.

--

A bandcamp compilation to help Jason Molina's family pay down some medical debt and other costs that have come about given his unfortunate passing.

songsmolina@gmail.com

Sound just fine and good to everyone? Good. Start claiming songs or get to work doing something for this because I am holding you to it.

I think that it's a good idea. I'd really enjoy hearing songs from the good folks of this forum.

Not to rain on anyone's parade but there is a UK version that already exists. It came out in addition to a benefit concert this fall. I don't know any of the people on this comp but I like Alasdair Roberts so I enjoyed hearing his take on Jason Molina's work.

http://molinabenefitlondon2012.bandcamp.com/

All help is good help! Let's see a PRF version!
There's no reason
To feel all the hard times
To lay down the hard lines
It's absolutely true
noise&light
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby syntaxfree07 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:24 pm

jurgis rudkus wrote:
Steve V. wrote:

We can do this.

--

songsmolina@gmail.com

Excellent, Steve V.

Lioness.
boombats wrote:Zumba Sally and iPad Phil are crying into their lattes, and I don't give a shit.
syntaxfree07
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Braden on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:04 pm

First met Jason in 2004 when I was roading around with Ladyhawk for a couple of days. I was sporting my SKWM t-shirt these two days, and although Jason said he had heard of Silkworm he didn't really know their music. I think each of us recommended a different album. The following year I ran into him on the sidewalk in London when I was there by myself checking out the city. Crazy random meetings half a world apart are always fun. A year or two after that I received a call from a SC booking agent to put on a show for Mags, which was a total delight. I insisted The Coke Dares open, as well as a Ladyhawk side project. Jason stepped up at the show and bounced a couple of guys for me who were too drunk/high, even making sure they completely left the property. I only saw Jason/Magnolia a few times after that, each time being easy as good as the last.

Rest in peace, Jason. You will be missed.
Don't get chumpatized!
Braden

Postby LBx on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:34 pm

crevecoeur wrote:two very good documentaries :

Recording Josephine :
http://vimeo.com/8459878

The road becomes what you leave :
http://vimeo.com/30702742

I have a fond, fleeting memory of the Winnipeg gig in this mini doc. And a vague recollection of the after party.

We only spoke briefly about nothing in particular other than the usual fan/performer stuff. Seemed like a wonderful guy. Wish I had picked his brain a bit more...
LBx

Postby tmidgett on Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:54 pm

greg wrote:I haven't seen a band perform together so easily in the studio before or since. That whole record was basically them tracking feet away from one another playing to each other, and responding to natural dynamics of the song.
We had a little pa speaker he would sing out of planted next to them so they could hear everything as naturally as could be. No volume wars between instruments, no guessing.
It was just about as ideal as you could get for that kind of music...

He played with some great musicians, but the Mags guys--Mikey, Mark, Jason G, Pete--are all total naturals, as was JMo when it came to singing and writing.

They can play anything. One show we did with them, JMo spent literally half the show trying to tune his guitar. To no avail. Trainwreck written all over it.

Those guys were scrambling, pulling out all sorts of stuff off the top of their heads. I think they played a Pink Floyd song by ear, if I remember correctly. Sounded great. It was a bizarre and uncomfortable show, but it was also good in its way, because they salvaged it, and because it was fascinating to watch them dredge stuff up and cover for JMo.

The first time I saw them was at a Secretly Canadian show at the Bottle. Andy dragged me to it--he was already a fan and had helped Jason do his deal w/Secretly Canadian. They opened with The Dark Don't Hide It, and...I don't want to make it sound like it blew me away and was the most amazing thing I ever saw, because it wasn't. It was the Empty Bottle, and it was the first song of their set, and you probably couldn't hear the vocals or the kick drum very well.

But there was an instant sense--from note one-- of "oh." OK. Andy is right. This is significant. The real thing. An actual band of importance. This isn't a buncha guys doing a band.

The other guys have a band called The Coke Dares that plays about a million one-minute-long songs. I don't think they ever practice--doesn't matter.

A real swell bunch too. Just very very sweet people.
Last edited by tmidgett on Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tmidgett

Postby Major on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:03 am

Steve V. wrote:

We can do this.

--

songsmolina@gmail.com

I have been working on a cover of "I've Been Riding With The Ghost" for a while that's probably half done. It's a dark (duh), minimal and, uh...electronic take on my favorite Molina song. Not sure if anyone would want to hear such nonsense but it's for a good cause.

PM me if you'd be interested in contributing vocals. Otherwise I'd have to do them and trust me when I say nobody wants that.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby kaleb on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:14 pm

Songs:Ohia's The Lioness is one of the most-played albums I have. A friend sent me some songs from it on a mixtape when I was living in Japan, and those made me feel closer to home, or at least more comfortable with the distance. I never saw Jason perform, but would have loved to.

A few years ago I made a dance-pop cover of "Being In Love," but it's both really trashy and seems wrong for the comp. Looking forward to hearing what y'all put together.
kaleb
canasta
canasta

Postby phildodd on Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:59 pm

Pyramid Electric Co. is always the first record onto my turntable in a serious listening session. It has been with me through many significant moments in my life.

Goodbye, Jason...
phildodd
professor longhair
professor longhair

Postby cerebralheadtrip on Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:48 pm

This song will never not tear me up. Now more than ever.

cerebralheadtrip
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion