home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

PRF BBQ WEST COAST 2014: Schedule on page 1

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: PRF BBQ WEST COAST 2014: Schedule on page 1

Postby Auntie Ovipositor on Mon May 05, 2014 2:10 pm

What a great time. Lots of work by Ben and Conan and it paid off ten fold - those guys deserve a lot of cudos. It was a bit of a rush to get everything ready (well, ready enough), but once the doors were open everything was effortless.

All of the bands were good, the venue... all of it. Just all of it.
The Loyalists are a rock band from Oakland, California
Auntie Ovipositor
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Auntie Ovipositor on Mon May 05, 2014 2:16 pm

If you haven't seen them, Shannon Corr took a lot of great photos:
http://shannoncorrphotography.smugmug.com/Music
Personal highlight:
http://shannoncorrphotography.smugmug.c ... -rRDF87d/A
The Loyalists are a rock band from Oakland, California
Auntie Ovipositor

Postby cneutron on Mon May 05, 2014 2:55 pm

Auntie Ovipositor wrote:If you haven't seen them, Shannon Corr took a lot of great photos:
http://shannoncorrphotography.smugmug.com/Music
Personal highlight:
http://shannoncorrphotography.smugmug.c ... -rRDF87d/A

AHAHAHA! Amazing, I love it.
If that doesn't make into liner notes or a flyer or something I will be disappointed Colin.

I'm just going to cross post the thing I wrote on the other thing, sorry... lazy.
That was a blast and a half wasn't it? PRF West BBQ. We ding dang did it didn't we? It would be wildly disingenous to not call it a massive success. Three days of incredible music, food, conversation and laughing until you are sore. Pretty rad. It's a pretty good sign when people start asking you when the next one is *BEFORE* the current one is over.
My feet feel as if half dozen gnomes are poking me with forks, my ears ring, i've barely slept, my throat is raspy from laughing, hollerin' out instructions, and talking to so many wonderful people... but
I’m smiling. Yes, I’m smiling. I'm smiling because I saw so many people making new friends and just having the best time: "I've never played/been to a show this great before" I heard that same phrase at least two dozen times. Fuckin' A.
Listen:
It is about the people, but the music is what brought us together... and what music! Old favorites and new, my cup overfloweth with wonder. Seeing personal favorites from far away like The Gary and Nonagon rocking it to new faces and blowing minds, and bands like Hurry up Shotgun, Turbo Lightning and PORCH melting skulls to amazing people that would never have seen them otherwise. Well! It's hard to get much better than that.
I used the term that the venue and event were more Battlestar Galactica than Starship Enterprise, but I meant that in the best way. I'm talking everybody just pitching right in and diving into the work that needs to be done. Cartin' gear, haulin' trash, slangin' BBQ.
Gotta give some shout outs here
Shannon Corr: you not only took amazing pictures of the bands, but you did so in real time?!? Incredible? Where is your cape sir? One of the only complaints I’ve had with previous PRF BBQs is the lack of visual documentation of a still variety, you have set a new bar my friend. I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Michael Markowski: You shot almost a terabyte of video, a terabyte! I cannot wait to see the results... you dedicated yourself to shooting each and every band at the expense of hanging out. Again:
We joked about making a movie. That could very well be kidding on the square.
Joe Mcclune, dude! Not only did Roland kick ass... but you guys stepped up with backline equipment and a last minute need. You said you guys didn't really know that many bands or people? Well guess what hoss? That's done. It's over. You are family now.
Ben Adam Rosenberg, Cemey Tee, Mona Monfared... you leaped in to do door like you were born for it. Thank you! Every time I had to dash away "just for a minute" to go fix the livestream (again!), or get paper towels or recombobulate the widget or whatever the hell... you were there. "I got this." "Do you need a break?" "How can I help?"
Russell Emerson Hall, Matt Hayes, - BBQ, yes! you. rule.
James Sullivan (especially), Colin Robert Balcom Frangos. You stepped in on merch like it was nuthin'.
Jacob Menough for the drum backline
Jeff Wagner: not only was the Tunnel awesome, but the projector loan was vital. Thank you! thank you!
Kaleb Absund, Karaoke underground closing the weekend worked out exactly as awesome as I had hoped. That was wonderful. Thank you!
Rick Valentin: I already said some embarrassing stuff before your TDM set on Friday, but yeah... the PKIDS e-mail list was an PRF "early man" ancestor. A humbling mindblower to have you be able to play this thing and bring it all home.
Benjamin Thorne! Your BBQ is delicious. Next time you must play, there will be no argument.
Ted Falconi I wish Flipper could have played, but just you coming and hanging out was a mindblower for more than a couple people. Thanks for coming man.
Marco and Max and especially Jordan Sobolew, for the excellent, excellent sound work. I received more than a few compliments on the sound and I really must agree.
Shane Otis, Evan Gritzon, Jacob... it was an honor rocking with you guys, as always thank you for being awesome.
All of the wonderful artists and their work.
And, of COURSE! Michael O'Connor and Jason Perkins for providing the amazing space that we hosted the whole thing in. Is there any more fitting place for this to happen than the old go to pro audio place for the Eastbay? Of course not. You guys have made an amazing venue and the damn thing isn't even fully done yet, Thank you! thank you! thank you! For stretching the limits of sanity and reason to allow us to do this thang here. You facilitated a lot of happy people.
I'm forgetting some people, i'm sorry... i'm just so tired.
And lastly, but certainly not leastly a huge, huge, huge shout out to Mr. Benjamin Abraham
I recall sometime back walking with Stephen McColl in Chicago and he said something along the lines of: "Weren't you setting up a west coast version of the PRF BBQ at some point."
I said: "yeah, yeah I was... stuff got in the way, we should do that. We will do that." and we did. Oh! we did.
It was YOU who picked up the torch, when I was letting cynicism and defeat color my perceptions.
The west coast PRF BBQ would be just another artifact on display in the "wouldn't it be cool if..." section of the mistake museum if not for you.
We did this together and there is no chance it could have happened without you. None! Zero! forget it.
The genius of kicking the whole thing off with Alf Pogs and then Eugene Robinson?
Incredible, that *IS* the PRF to me. Not defined by a sound or a certain band. But by a mindset, an ethos.
Your scheduling was sublime and I bow my head to the sequencing of one of the coolest mix tapes i've ever heard.
You and I both know how many challenges, riddles and absurd problems we were faced with, but at any given time you were right there and we were dealing with it together.
I can't remember what it was we were talking about but we said: "We'll be laughing about this in a couple weeks."
I daresay we make a pretty good team and I truly hope this isn't the last time we get to do something like this.
What a way to spend a weekend, right? What a way to conduct life!
DOIN' THANGS
Indeed.
cneutron
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby Angus Jung on Mon May 05, 2014 3:51 pm

cneutron wrote:Ted Falconi I wish Flipper could have played, but just you coming and hanging out was a mindblower for more than a couple people. Thanks for coming man.

It was very cool to learn that the spacy old dude who gave me some unsolicited advice on how to modify my Twin was Ted g.d. Falconi.

Thanks for introducing me, Conan.
Angus Jung
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby greg on Mon May 05, 2014 4:17 pm

Looked like fun! I want to go to the next!
greg
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby jmcclune on Mon May 05, 2014 4:42 pm

This was basically the Most Fun Thing.
jmcclune

Postby cneutron on Tue May 06, 2014 2:45 am

Angus Jung wrote:It was very cool to learn that the spacy old dude who gave me some unsolicited advice on how to modify my Twin was Ted g.d. Falconi.

Thanks for introducing me, Conan.

Ted was super stoked to talk about amps with damn near everybody I saw. I had half a mind to just write down the URL for the tech room for him. Dude was a natural.

Super psyched you guys had that moment, I thought that was pretty special too.
He seemed genuinely taken aback by the praise.
I laid down a "these are your people maaaaaaaan." that was enough of a kidding on the square it got the point across and a chuckle.

We may see Flipper play a BBQ yet.

Another Ted moment was when Ben Rosenberg of Hurry Up Shotgun was talking to him.
Ben: "So you're the venue owner?"
Ted: "oh no..."
Conan: "No man! He's the guitar player for Flipper."
Ben:" Oh! oh! oh! that's much more important."

I laughed long and loud and so did anybody in ear shot.

He dug the bands he saw too and made a special point of noting and praising the eclecticism.
That was pretty neat. The dude from Flipper!
OK!

jmcclune wrote:This was basically the Most Fun Thing.

YES! That's exactly what we were aiming for. :smt023
You've been pretty much jumped in at this point Joe. Welcome, and thank you for all the help.

Man, I need to get some sleep.

greg wrote:Looked like fun! I want to go to the next!

YES! Greg! Yes, all are welcome, it was really wonderful getting some of our midwest brethren out here who knew the score and seeing them mix and match with people who were having the dawning of: "hey, this is a pretty cool thing!"
cneutron

Postby AnthonyCinder on Tue May 06, 2014 3:33 pm

I got to see numerous bands that I had listened to for quite some time without having ever previously seen a show. Can they deliver live? The answer was a repeated YES. Ye Cartographers, ye Nonagons, ye Garies, ye Cities of Walled Kowloon, thank you for bringing it. My big surprises were the Eugene S. Robinson and Porch union (only for one song, what teases!) and Roland (was terrified to follow those guys).

Yeah, that was a pretty good weekend.
How come when it's us, it's an abortion, and when it's a chicken, it's an omelette? - George Carlin

https://cindercone.bandcamp.com/
AnthonyCinder

Postby cneutron on Wed May 07, 2014 5:22 pm

Alright! Last day photos, once again... all by the incredible Shannon Corr

The Tunnel

West By Swan

The Loyalists

Bedrücken

Victory And Associates

Philistines

Turbo Lightning

Shannon said that one was one of his favorites out of the whole darn thing... i'm hard pressed to disagree. And that's in a band with this super rad and dynamic singer:

Where this is also in the set:

Pretty darn cool.

Nobody can take away these good times that we have had people. Nobody!
I'll see some of you in Chicago, but for the rest of youse... don't worry... this WILL happen again.
cneutron

Postby numberthirty on Wed May 07, 2014 6:36 pm

Nice to hear this went off without a hitch.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Sam on Sun May 11, 2014 10:51 am

bumping to say thanks to everyone that lent New China equipment for our set we wouldn't have been able to play it without yall and holy shit everyone was so nice, glad i got to introduce some of the band members to this shindig. at one point my bag fell under a drum so i couldn't find it in the gear corner, mentioned it to CF from Porch who was setting up "oh don't worry, we'll look for it after the set if you haven't found it." just, damn! you are setting up you don't need to hear that nervous babble.
Sam
cool kid
cool kid

Postby Ben Abraham on Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:20 pm

PRF West Part II getting shit done thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=64875
Ben Abraham
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Previous

Return to General Discussion