home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Fearsome and mammoth cults thread

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Fearsome and mammoth cults thread

Postby Clyde on Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:07 pm

No, not that band that was popular four years ago or the Ian Astbury hat band.
The phenomenon in which a charismatic leader controls and exploits a group of people through coercive persuasion and psychological conditioning.

Topics may include-

-Various types of cults; e.g.-religious, political, LGAT.

-Brainwashing/thought reform techniques used by cults.

-Which groups are or are not cults. (For example, while most Christian denominations are not cults, the Brethren are.)

-Forum members' direct or indirect experiences with cults/acquaintances in cults.

-The sorts of weird of terrifying photos you can find on cult websites such as this one from The Family International (formerly Children of God).

-The music and entertainment of cults.

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]
NewDarkAge wrote:Dialectics, mate. No easy answers.
Clyde
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Re: Fearsome and mammoth cults thread

Postby Pockets on Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:26 am

Actually, on the topic of,
-Brainwashing/thought reform techniques used by cults.
I am deathly afraid of ever seeing "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" because, whether accidental or intentional... I fear that if I ever see it, it just might cause me to lose my shit and turn me into a giant sparkly rainbow colored twat.
Pockets
corporal
corporal

Postby rgauss on Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:21 pm

Spent some time around Synanon as a young'un. My dad was into it because of his interest in "the game". This would have been in the late '60s, before it went off the rails. I have pretty good memories of it. Friendly people. We weren't residents, just weekenders. Apparently they had a pretty solid jazz group who wrote a song in honor of Synanon's founder Chuck E. Dederich. Dederich supposedly coined the phrase "today is the first day of the rest of your life." Later famous for putting a four and a half foot, de-rattled, rattlesnake in the mailbox of an attorney who was suing the organization on behalf of some former members.
phpBB [media]
rgauss
robert rauschenberg
robert rauschenberg

Postby biscuitdough on Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:47 pm

https://universalmedicineaccountability ... on-artist/

Gurdjieff basically invented the long-con type of cult.
biscuitdough

Postby zom-zom on Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:57 pm

rgauss wrote:Spent some time around Synanon as a young'un. My dad was into it because of his interest in "the game". This would have been in the late '60s, before it went off the rails. I have pretty good memories of it. Friendly people. We weren't residents, just weekenders. Apparently they had a pretty solid jazz group who wrote a song in honor of Synanon's founder Chuck E. Dederich. Dederich supposedly coined the phrase "today is the first day of the rest of your life." Later famous for putting a four and a half foot, de-rattled, rattlesnake in the mailbox of an attorney who was suing the organization on behalf of some former members.

a recorded speech by Dederich in which he said, "We're not going to mess with the old-time, turn-the-other-cheek religious postures...our religious posture is: Don't mess with us. You can get killed dead, literally dead...these are real threats," he snarled. "They are draining life's blood from us, and expecting us to play by their silly rules. We will make the rules. I see nothing frightening about it...I am quite willing to break some lawyer's legs, and next break his wife's legs, and threaten to cut their child's arm off. That is the end of that lawyer. That is a very satisfactory, humane way of transmitting information. I really do want an ear in a glass of alcohol on my desk."

Yikes.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby timpickens2 on Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:03 pm

I drove through Waco, Texas yesterday and will do so again in a few days. I kind of want to check this out, out of morbid curiosity:

Current Branch Davidian leader, Charles Pace wrote:For years he has been trying -- thus far without success -- to turn the massacre site into a visitor destination, with an amphitheater, a biblical petting zoo, a museum and gift shop, a wellness center, a deli, an organic farm, and a model of the tabernacle that housed the Ten Commandments. The intent has always been to de-emphasize the massacre.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11910
timpickens2
district attourney
district attourney

Postby Redline on Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:21 pm

The Four Pi Movement

http://murderpedia.org/male.B/b/baker-stanley-dean.htm

http://finchleycentral.blogspot.com/200 ... ement.html

phpBB [media]

Timothy Wyllie looks like Ginger Baker. I have to read that book.
Last edited by Redline on Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby biscuitdough on Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:55 pm

Then there's the Desteni Project and their "portal," who claims to channel various deceased historical personalities (and tries to portray Hitler favorably) as well as inanimate objects and abstract concepts.

phpBB [media]

They also oppose yawning.

phpBB [media]
biscuitdough

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:19 pm

Steve V. wrote:Image

This book is fantastic.

looks interesting. This one is good too:

I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Redline on Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:23 pm

Fun Fact: Synanon people were hired by George Lucas for THX 1138
phpBB [media]
Redline
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Mark Hansen on Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:46 pm

That book about the Process Church is really good.
"for when you bring two objects of such astounding masses of suck as these two together, they circle each other at incredible velocity until finally merging into an infinitely dense singularity of suck"
Mark Hansen
Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Postby Clyde on Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:59 pm

biscuitdough wrote: the long-con type of cult.

It can't be stressed enough that this is essentially the M.O. of all cult leaders. They may be clinical narcissists or suffer from paranoid delusions but they don't usually believe the bullshit they're peddling. I thought Going Clear was mostly quite good but one thing that bothered me (other than not covering Operations Freakout or Snow White at all; and both of which are so nuts I would think they were far-fetched in a B-grade conspiracy thriller) was when Lawrence Wright implied that L. Ron Hubbard wasn't a con-man because even after he had a bunch of money he kept up the act. I believe it was Margaret Singer who stated that, actually, the difference between a cult leader and a con-man is the con-man takes your money and leaves but the cult leader sticks around.

By the way, Scientology has been influential on a number of other alternately terrifying and hilarious cults including ones like Synanon and NXIVM. Not to mention this tidbit from Gawker:

According to Manson biographer Jeff Guinn as excerpted in LA Weekly, while in prison, “Charlie adopted those aspects of Hubbard’s teachings that lent themselves to manipulating others. “His September 1961 report [by prison officials] noted, ‘He appears to have developed a certain amount of insight into his problems through the study of [Scientology]. Manson is making progress for the first time in his life.”

And speaking of Charlie, his website is an absolute hoot. Check out this highlight:

China Declares "War Against Pollution", Four Decades After Charles Manson

Now that human society has apparently begun to wake up to the same reality that Charles Manson has constantly warned them of for many decades, will they be able to avoid the worst of consequences?

http://www.mansondirect.com/
NewDarkAge wrote:Dialectics, mate. No easy answers.
Clyde

Postby enframed on Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:07 pm

Clyde wrote:For example, while most Christian denominations are not cults

Sure they are, they are the accepted cults, currently. All religions are cults, an all began as what we consider "cults" these days.
Records for sale.

Those most doomed to repeat history are those who know it best.
enframed
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Jodi S. on Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:13 pm

Redline wrote:Fun Fact: Synanon people were hired by George Lucas for THX 1138
phpBB [media]

They're also in California Split, IIRC.
Jodi S.
Influential Poster

Location: I am sitting in a room, different from the one you are in.

Postby Angus Jung on Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:06 pm

Clyde wrote:According to Manson biographer Jeff Guinn as excerpted in LA Weekly, while in prison, “Charlie adopted those aspects of Hubbard’s teachings that lent themselves to manipulating others. “His September 1961 report [by prison officials] noted, ‘He appears to have developed a certain amount of insight into his problems through the study of [Scientology]. Manson is making progress for the first time in his life.”

A recent re-reading of "Helter Skelter" reminded me that Manson was heavily influenced by both Scientology and the Process Church.
Angus Jung

Postby ::: on Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:04 am

NXIVM

This is nuts.

Large Group Awareness Training (LGAT) organizations, like the Landmark Forum (descended from est, the '70s ur-LGAT) and the former Lifespring, are creepier to me in some ways than the obvious kind of religious cults. These LGATs are even more insidious, to the extent that they're much more integrated into the fabric of mainstream (U.S. corporate) culture. They promise amazing results for participants -- success! meaningful action! belonging! purpose! -- yet they seem constructed for optimal separation of fools and other vulnerable types from their $ (and sometimes their time and labor too) and basically nothing else, beyond giving participants a sort of delirious and 100% calculated "peak experience" at their group sessions through breaking down their usual defenses in various ways. Stories of participants' later financial deprecation, alienation from former friends, identity crises, and so on are not hard to find.

Lifespring: http://www.citypages.com/2001-11-07/news/cult-status/

Momentum Education: http://www.grdn.cc/posts/a-momentum-education/

NXIVM: http://www.culteducation.com/group/907-nxivm.html

Landmark Forum: http://m.motherjones.com/media/2009/07/ ... breakdowns
:::
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Kate Rev on Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:38 am

Steve V. wrote:Image

This book is fantastic.

YUP

I know many of these people and their children. Not really a cult though.

Image and also the book Image
This is the cult of cults, for me. It has ALL the aspects you are looking for in a 60s sex drug love obedience cult. Absolutely beautiful. The documentary is highly recommended.

Children of God.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_International
Warning- you will find horrifying child sexual abuse accounts if you dig into this. Famous COGs include Rose Mcgowan, the Phoenixes.. Christopher Owen writes an account of growing up in this cult.

Serious (or are they?) alien cult: Raelians

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_Set
Temple of Set was/is the heavier duty version of Satanism. Aquino an interesting/possibly horrifying character linked to military torture and accused of a lot of unsavory things, but was it just satanic panic? Hail Satan.

Give me more give me more
Kate Rev
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Carl on Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:00 am

Kate Rev wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_Set
Temple of Set was/is the heavier duty version of Satanism. Aquino an interesting/possibly horrifying character linked to military torture and accused of a lot of unsavory things, but was it just satanic panic? Hail Satan.

Aquino's dad and my grandfather were friends during the Depression. This led to a very odd birthday party half a century or so later featuring two elderly men, members of the Temple, a standup comic, and me.
dvockins wrote:That is the most pretentious bullshit I have heard in the last three years and I live in Brooklyn.
Carl

Postby zom-zom on Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:51 am

This was originally "est". I've known several people that went through est and some that did Landmark.
zom-zom
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Kate Rev on Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:06 pm

Carl wrote:
Kate Rev wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_Set

Aquino's dad and my grandfather were friends during the Depression. This led to a very odd birthday party half a century or so later featuring two elderly men, members of the Temple, a standup comic, and me.

I would absolutely love to hear the full story version of this.
Kate Rev

Next

Return to General Discussion