home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

One-Sentence Literature Confessions

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: One-Sentence Literature Confessions

Postby ::: on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:39 pm

Heh. I see what you did, i am the smud, and I thank you.
:::
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby i am the smud on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:41 pm

your own generation's obligatory Huge Badass Novel That Gets All the Critical Attention for Years So That Eventually People Start to Resent It is yet to be written.

Perhaps, but IJ is undoubtedly important to all the 20 somethings I know who take lit seriously. I sincerely cannot wait until we get our 'big book'.

I'm just gonna stare at these words on my screen for a little while.

D'oh! That was a mistake. Edited.
We are all Romans unconscious collective/We are all Romans we live to regret it
i am the smud
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby ::: on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:56 pm

That whole "One Massive Literary-Critical Success Per Generation" thing is totally arbitrary anyway. Wallace, by all accounts, was shocked by and unprepared for sudden celebrity, and found it a terrible burden. Nobody publishes a bizarre, difficult, thousand-page novel expecting to become a media phenomenon, because that basically just does not happen in the U.S., except that one time when it did.
:::
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Dudley on Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:28 am

I found "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" so tedious that I am genuinely bewildered by anyone liking it, let alone thinking that it's great.
Seby wrote:How does the sting of marginalisation taste now, you pick-using oppressors?
Dudley
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby Neuloveyou on Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:25 am

Dudley wrote:I found "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle" so tedious that I am genuinely bewildered by anyone liking it, let alone thinking that it's great.

Ditto. I did very much enjoy a few others of his, Hardboiled Wonderland,Norwegian Wood but by the time the bloke goes down the well in this one, I was done. And that was only about 1/3 of the way through!
Neuloveyou
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby i am the smud on Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:49 pm

According to a colleague of mine he's no better in Japanese.
We are all Romans unconscious collective/We are all Romans we live to regret it
i am the smud

Postby Thanasis on Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:26 am

1) I hated Gravity's Rainbow but I still want to re-read it because I'm sure that I must have missed something.

2) I'd rather (and more often than not, do) re-read a book I like rather than read something new.
Thanasis
that guy from the opening band

Postby total_douche on Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:01 am

1.) I still love Hatchet as much now as I did when I was 10... possibly a bit more.
2.) I find Oscar Wilde generally boring; everything of his that I've read seems to consist largely of nuggets of enjoyability stitched together with threads of insufferably pretentious tedium.
total_douche
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby kokorodoko on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:17 am

Thanasis wrote:2) I'd rather (and more often than not, do) re-read a book I like rather than read something new.

That gives you lit-nerd points though, doesn't it? I'm not a re-reader at all, or re-watcher, mostly. Feels a bit like making the exact same travel all over again. If I did, it would have to be spaced out over ten years or so.
Janeway wrote:those cat-food-for-lunch-deserving motherfuckers 8)
kokorodoko
deep blue
deep blue

Postby Thanasis on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:41 am

kokorodoko wrote:
Thanasis wrote:2) I'd rather (and more often than not, do) re-read a book I like rather than read something new.

That gives you lit-nerd points though, doesn't it? I'm not a re-reader at all, or re-watcher, mostly. Feels a bit like making the exact same travel all over again. If I did, it would have to be spaced out over ten years or so.

It's always a different journey each time i re-read a book, but it is not always better. Eg., I badly wanted to re-read Cannery Row for about 10 years now. I read it again last year but that memorable thrill from when I first read it was strangely absent this time around.
Thanasis

Postby Seby on Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:55 am

I find Thomas Hardy tedious.
Seby
arrow of light
arrow of light

Postby goatlord on Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:44 am

I hate Julio Cortázar. The "petite bourgeoise problems" of his books are not fun to me and he can't write women characters. Ernesto Sabato treated some of the same themes that he treated, was from Argentina and he was amazing. Read he instead.

I think that we have to re-think James Joyce in the literary cannon, and even though he was important for funding a lot of things well... how shall I say it... I haven't enjoyed any of his books?

As much as I love Raymond Carver, I vastly preffer when he got out of the ultra-editing and had more fun.
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
goatlord
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby ldopa_chicago on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:02 am

biscuitdough wrote:
ldopa_chicago wrote:Pale Fire

foot/endnotes

You and Pale Fire. This is a match made in heaven.

I finally did read Pale Fire. There are bits of it I really enjoyed (such as the line, "Yes, my dear Charles, I roll upon them as a grateful mongrel on a spot of turf fouled by a Great Dane.") but for the most part there is a sort of self-satisfaction to Nabokov's writing that I can't stand. Pale Fire feels so masturbatory and I found myself thinking, "This is a book for people who are nominally smart to read to feel like they are especially smart."

It seems like he had a lot of fun writing it.
jimmy two hands wrote:Jam econo for fuck's sake.

I play guitar and act tougher than I am in Fake Limbs.
I played bass in Burn Permits.
ldopa_chicago
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Madman Munt on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:13 am

ldopa_chicago wrote:Pale Fire

Check this book out: Nabokov's Pale Fire The Magic of Artistic Discovery by Brian Boyd.

It will blow your funky mind. There's one part in particular where it got so crazy I had to put it down mid-page.

One thing I've come to appreciate over the last few years is how many obnoxious internet-posters write just like Kinbote.
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby ldopa_chicago on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:19 am

Madman Munt wrote:Check this book out: Nabokov's Pale Fire The Magic of Artistic Discovery by Brian Boyd.

If I had infinite time, I would consider reading a book about a book I don't care for, but I don't.
jimmy two hands wrote:Jam econo for fuck's sake.

I play guitar and act tougher than I am in Fake Limbs.
I played bass in Burn Permits.
ldopa_chicago

Postby Madman Munt on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:24 am

ldopa_chicago wrote:
Madman Munt wrote:Check this book out: Nabokov's Pale Fire The Magic of Artistic Discovery by Brian Boyd.

If I had infinite time, I would consider reading a book about a book I don't care for, but I don't.

I didn't think you would, but someone else might.
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby Dave N. on Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:22 am

I like Wally Lamb. There, I said it.
Dave N.
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby jimmy spako on Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:34 am

goatlord wrote:I hate Julio Cortázar. The "petite bourgeoise problems" of his books are not fun to me and he can't write women characters. Ernesto Sabato treated some of the same themes that he treated, was from Argentina and he was amazing. Read he instead.

Oh man, and you can read him in the original!
I get it, can understand how somebody could be put off by the rarified air at times.

I think that his female characters are alright. I finally got around to reading The Lost Steps by Alejio Carpentier last summer, and boy was that a misogynist piece of shit novel with very bad female characters. Caused me to reflect on Cortazar again. I think he comes out pretty well in that category for his time. Hopscotch is basically a disabusement of the habit of projecting onto a muse, no? Horacio is forced to kind of concede that on some level and Talita is a super solid female character that Horacio doesn't manage to turn into La Maga. I think she holds her own as a foil to the overwrought male silliness. Or at least that was my take upon reflection this summer. The book written together with his last partner, Carol Dunlap, is heartbreakingly good too, a real collaboration on the level that doesn't feel gross although he is the better known of the two.

In any case, I really need to check out Sabato based on your recommendation. Thanks!
Isabelle Gall wrote:'Do not go smoothly into that dark night'
jimmy spako
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby sulfur)addict on Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:28 pm

goatlord wrote:I think that we have to re-think James Joyce in the literary cannon, and even though he was important for funding a lot of things well... how shall I say it... I haven't enjoyed any of his books?

"James, why don't you write books people want to read?"

- Nora Joyce, his wife and apparently most astute critic

Dubliners is perfection - "The Dead" might be the highwater mark of short stories - Ulysses is a painful journey but worth it, Portrait has very sloggy chapters but some real moments of joy.

Sabato is fantastic, but he's so slyly and morbidly funny, I find it strange he's come up in regards to "well-rounded female characters." Very few of my favorite male authors clear that hurdle, none of them Latin American.

My reading pace has slowed to a crawl. Like, 6 or 7 books a year. I cleared John Williams' Stoner in a day at 18, where did that voracity go? Fucking television, and not one of the shows is worth it when my to-read list is like 150 books deep. I've gotta get out of Ohio.

I've come to resent a lot of postmodern fiction, but I'll still dig myself out of this two-year 20th century modernism kick if the lolz are there.

was that one sentence? cool, that's my confession.
Kerouacian as fuck.

NewDarkAge wrote:why, the fuck, would you post zizek in this thread
sulfur)addict

Postby bill bixby on Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:47 pm

I had to power through ~300 pages of Infinite Jest before I "got" the bigger narrative picture; then it was all downhill (and a pleasure!)..
bill bixby
district attourney
district attourney

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion