home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

One-Sentence Literature Confessions

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: One-Sentence Literature Confessions

Postby Facundo on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:59 pm

To born, From Wring to Wrong, From Wand to Womb.
Facundo
JACKPOT!
JACKPOT!

Postby SkronkFronkerdale on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:19 am

I don't care for Hemingway.

I recommend Mrs. Dalloway for anyone who thinks life is too short to read Ulysses yet maintains an interest in the touchstones of modernist fiction. While it has a great deal of similarities with Joyce's masterpiece(and was very likely influenced by it, despite her calling it a bore), it is more concise, accessible(relatively!), and avoids the obsessive systematizing that can make Joyce so exhausting to read. Woolf's masterpiece remains The Waves, however. Undoubtedly two of my very favorite writers!
SkronkFronkerdale
bocce bowler
bocce bowler

Postby kokorodoko on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:59 am

goatlord wrote:I think that we have to re-think James Joyce in the literary cannon, and even though he was important for funding a lot of things well... how shall I say it... I haven't enjoyed any of his books?

I felt an instinctual aversion to Joyce when reading the first pages of Finnnegan's Wake. How every other word is made up and there are all these "hidden meanings". Which as an occultist I should dig, but it just felt overwrought and made me think of reference humour, which I hate. I won't knock him until I have read seriously, but yeah.
Janeway wrote:those cat-food-for-lunch-deserving motherfuckers 8)
kokorodoko
alexander alekhine
alexander alekhine

Postby losthighway on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:37 pm

SkronkFronkerdale wrote:I don't care for Hemingway.

I recommend Mrs. Dalloway for anyone who thinks life is too short to read Ulysses yet maintains an interest in the touchstones of modernist fiction. While it has a great deal of similarities with Joyce's masterpiece(and was very likely influenced by it, despite her calling it a bore), it is more concise, accessible(relatively!), and avoids the obsessive systematizing that can make Joyce so exhausting to read. Woolf's masterpiece remains The Waves, however. Undoubtedly two of my very favorite writers!

Yeah, I'll confess to liking Virginia Woolf way more than Joyce too. That's made me something of a pariah in some booky talks. I really liked To the LIghthouse as another modernist puzzle of fiction.
Colonel Panic wrote:Anybody who gazes directly into a laser is an idiot.

steve wrote:....only someone with a commitment to denial for its own sake could say they are all wrong about everything, but me in my living room, I figured it out.
losthighway
gutter lover
gutter lover

Postby losthighway on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:38 pm

I don't like Lovecraft.
Colonel Panic wrote:Anybody who gazes directly into a laser is an idiot.

steve wrote:....only someone with a commitment to denial for its own sake could say they are all wrong about everything, but me in my living room, I figured it out.
losthighway
gutter lover
gutter lover

Postby zircona1 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:26 am

I've attempted to read The Satanic Verses multiple times and quit around page 75, last time I was confused by who was who and what was going on.
- "Whatever happened to that album?"
- "I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall, and it like, shattered."
zircona1
carter family
carter family

Postby goatlord on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:46 am

Except for Dennis Cooper and some Samuel Delany, I can't read any transgressive fiction as of late. It just seems so silly and adolescent now! I tried reading the first book of Apocalypse Culture the other day and I just couldn't be bothered being dragged into that world again. I think that I like the idea of those authors existing more than the act of reading them.

I think that as I get older, I find the lack of empathy on a writter more and more of a handicap. And the point of view of the socipath more and more boring. There are some kind of socipaths that I still find entertaining (like Thomas Bernhard or some Nabokov assholes, for example), but I prefer reading people saying how awful the assholes are, not how entertaining they are.
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
goatlord
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:56 pm

Reading sucks
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Dave N. on Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:06 pm

I am currently reading Neil Peart's Ghost Rider and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
Dave N.
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby hayate on Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:26 pm

--Hemingway is a rough two on a scale of one to five.

Lets make that list right now:

Henry Miller
( Both tropics, Black Spring, The travelogue from greece)

Ernest Hemingway
(Sun also rises, Islands in the stream, FWTBT, Men without women, a moveable feast, OMATS, Killamanjaro....)

Cormac McCarthy ( Blood Meridian, No Country, Suttree, that one he wrote specifically for film)

Faulkner (Light in August, As I lay dying, sound and the fury --re-reading currently)

Fernando Pessoa ( Book of Disquiet )

--Now, If it were a list of ten, we'd have Bukowski, Jorge Borges, Garcia Marquez, Celine, Edgar a Poe and one Sherwood Anderson.

--Also, I can't read joyce. Although I have seen some very good snippets from his works that make me wish I could.
Neofascism will be the ultimate expression of libertarian social liberalism, of the unit which starts in May 68. Its specificity holds in this formula: All is allowed, but nothing is possible. -M.C.
hayate
puggy pearson
puggy pearson

Postby Tommy on Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:45 am

The MayorofRockNRoll wrote:Reading sucks

I think you're joking here (as I know you're a writer).

BUT, I honestly get very little joy from the act of reading. It's fucking shameful. I'm actually ashamed of this about me. I love having the knowledge after I've read stuff, but I don't really dig reading books. Never have. As an adult I think I've realized that I might have some sort of reading disability, be it duslexia, ADD, something. I find myself just reading through the words without paying attention to them. Simple mechanics without absorption. Which makes me re-read stuff constantly. Which brings me back to non-enjoyment. I prefer film by a factor of like 100.

Short stories I can pay attention to. I like Carver. I like Coover.

Shameful.
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby SkronkFronkerdale on Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:42 pm

Tommy wrote:
The MayorofRockNRoll wrote:Reading sucks

I think you're joking here (as I know you're a writer).

BUT, I honestly get very little joy from the act of reading. It's fucking shameful. I'm actually ashamed of this about me. I love having the knowledge after I've read stuff, but I don't really dig reading books. Never have. As an adult I think I've realized that I might have some sort of reading disability, be it duslexia, ADD, something. I find myself just reading through the words without paying attention to them. Simple mechanics without absorption. Which makes me re-read stuff constantly. Which brings me back to non-enjoyment. I prefer film by a factor of like 100.

Short stories I can pay attention to. I like Carver. I like Coover.

Shameful.

Aww don't feel ashamed! I'm probably even more passionate about my favorite writers than I am my favorite musicians or anything else, I'm obsessed with literature and philosophy, but I've always HATED the act of reading and found it excruciating. Takes me FOREVER to read! Can't pay attention, OCD makes me reread shit I don't need to, have bad "reading anxiety" (OCD thing I think, makes it hard to comprehend anything), find it exhausting.

I wouldn't manage to finish anything probably, but I force myself to read 10 pages a day. For dense philosophy or Joyce type prose I'll even go down to 4 pages at times to keep it doable. Doesn't sound very enticing, and it is super slow, but I got bookshelves full of books I've read in full, many of them dense, slow reads - regardless of my handicaps. A possible way around if you want!
SkronkFronkerdale
bocce bowler
bocce bowler

Postby andyman on Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:53 pm

hayate wrote:--Hemingway is a rough two on a scale of one to five.

Lets make that list right now:

Henry Miller
( Both tropics, Black Spring, The travelogue from greece)

Ernest Hemingway
(Sun also rises, Islands in the stream, FWTBT, Men without women, a moveable feast, OMATS, Killamanjaro....)

Cormac McCarthy ( Blood Meridian, No Country, Suttree, that one he wrote specifically for film)

Faulkner (Light in August, As I lay dying, sound and the fury --re-reading currently)

Fernando Pessoa ( Book of Disquiet )

--Now, If it were a list of ten, we'd have Bukowski, Jorge Borges, Garcia Marquez, Celine, Edgar a Poe and one Sherwood Anderson.

--Also, I can't read joyce. Although I have seen some very good snippets from his works that make me wish I could.

While I like a decent chunk of those authors, it makes me uncomfortable that all of them are older white men and that these writers form a sort of rite of passage for angry, young western white guys.
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby hayate on Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:15 pm

It's true, most of those authors did have white skin and cajones.. that might have something to do with how I'm able to relate to them so well. . .
Eh not sure where "angry" fits into there anywhere, though. I was a bit angry before I found Nietzsche... but not after so much.

Borges was argentine. Pessoa was portugese. Celine french and Marquez columbian... but they're all of them from the west, so perhaps you still wouldn't like them. Fine by me, bob.

--Oh, Gibran. Gibran was freaking incredible when I first read him a few years ago. Honestly not something I would admit to just anybody.

--ee cummings makes me cum.
Neofascism will be the ultimate expression of libertarian social liberalism, of the unit which starts in May 68. Its specificity holds in this formula: All is allowed, but nothing is possible. -M.C.
hayate
puggy pearson
puggy pearson

Postby Wood Goblin on Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:56 pm

The older I get, the more I hate Bukowski.

He’s as terrible a writer as Ayn Rand or L. Ron Hubbard, and just as self-aggrandizing.
Wood Goblin
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby andyman on Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:12 pm

Aren't most people supposed to grow out of Bukowski after their early 20s?
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman

Postby hayate on Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:07 pm

I am a complete and total loser, so things most people do doesn't really apply to me.

Most people hate eachothers guts, they just can't admit it to themselves. Only people I hate are the ones that hurt the people I love.

--Shakespeare makes me feel dumb.. in a 'holy shit, imagine casually being able to comprehend this level of genius', sor of way.

--When I bought Finnegans Wake I truly believed that I was going to read it.
hayate
puggy pearson
puggy pearson

Postby m3kcomp on Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:15 pm

I haven't been able to read fiction in almost a decade.

The last novel I read was Blood Meridian...I suppose a nice way to end a long run.

Beckett and Gaddis blew my mind up and McCarthy eased me out if it. Then Non-Fiction. Only Non-Fiction.
m3kcomp
pom pom
pom pom

Previous

Return to General Discussion