home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Post while you are not depressed thread

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Post while you are not depressed thread

Postby catwoman on Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:53 am

Hey there! The SUN is out, bright and strong, I slept a full 8 hours and feel well rested, my cats are happy to see me,and me them. Gosh darn it, I'm gonna do what I can to keep this good feeling going, for as long as I can today. So, at this moment, I'm posting while I'm not depressed!
catwoman
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby ::: on Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:46 pm

8)
:::
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby ::: on Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:47 pm

catwoman wrote:Hey there! The SUN is out, bright and strong, I slept a full 8 hours and feel well rested, my cats are happy to see me,and me them. Gosh darn it, I'm gonna do what I can to keep this good feeling going, for as long as I can today. So, at this moment, I'm posting while I'm not depressed!

:smt023
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Isabelle Gall on Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:29 pm

While I presume this thread is intended to be inspirational I don't see how it's helpful to the depressed to have people suddenly differentiating themselves from you when they feel okay themselves. We know it's a special character of depression that something inescapably oceanic is so utterly isolating. You don't escape because the only chance you ever have of fighting it at all is not just to reach out but to hold on to each other.
Isabelle Gall
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby ::: on Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:56 pm

I'm sorry, Is. I had not thought of that. Lately I've found myself feeling somewhat recovered, in unsummarizable but real ways, from what has seemed and felt like a single 40-year-long episode of severe depression, and wanted to share the joy, but in another sense this is extremely self-centered, I now see. Ignore at will.
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby catwoman on Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:16 am

Isabelle Gall wrote:While I presume this thread is intended to be inspirational I don't see how it's helpful to the depressed to have people suddenly differentiating themselves from you when they feel okay themselves. We know it's a special character of depression that something inescapably oceanic is so utterly isolating. You don't escape because the only chance you ever have of fighting it at all is not just to reach out but to hold on to each other.

Oddly, when I first saw these belated responses to my flash of UN-depression from a while back, but seeing that I'm again feeling low, I was tempted to post something like, "well, that didn't last too long, did it?" or some other bleak or smartass thing. But, looking at what you've just posted, and what I posted on that particular day makes me at least aware that there is still a little HOPE. I have had good days along with the many bad ones, but knowing that I DID post here is a tad encouraging (and makes it pretty clear to me that a lack of SUN is a trigger for me...)

Knowing that there were long stretches in my life when I was not depressed, but can't find my way back there right now, is frustrating, but I really need to believe that I CAN get back there again, some how, some way. So, maybe this isn't such a bad thread after all, if the people doing the differentiating are "in-the-moment-UN-depressed", differentiating themselves from their *depressed* selves.
catwoman
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby Twilight Sparkle on Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:11 pm

My impression was that this is a thread for people plagued by depression to talk about the other side of their emotional struggle, when they surface and gasp for air and can't believe they are still alive. As someone who quite consistently, depressed or not, feels quite isolated, I appreciated the opportunity last page to make a small acknowledgement that something terrible I weathered was subsiding. There is no declaration of "I am cured!", so I don't see a problem. However, if someone who is depressed is uncomfortable with this thread, I hope they feel like they can say so, but I don't see the point in speculating that maybe it might happen.
Twilight Sparkle
penguinologist
penguinologist

Postby brisket on Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:44 am

People who are in a good place (currently) can help those going through depression by, amongst other things, reminding them that happiness is possible. Which can be forgotten in dark phases. I don't see how that's offensive, unless someone was being a tactless A-hole about it, which I don't see here. Maybe it would be better renamed 'the gratitude thread' or something?
brisket
johnny moss
johnny moss

Postby goatlord on Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:26 am

This thread gives me hope. I'm not on the zone, but knowing that you can get there is important for me. Hugs for everybody,
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
goatlord
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby goatlord on Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:40 am

Bumping this thread. I have changed medication and it's working really well. Working on being comfortable setting boundaries with other people and opening up more to the people I feel safe with. I still have not a lot of hope, but I feel like I can do stuff now.

Come on everybody, we can beat this fucking life!
YES YES YES YES RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD RECORD When in doubt, treat it as a record. Call your Records - Horse_ebooks
goatlord

Postby catwoman on Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:46 pm

goatlord wrote:Bumping this thread. I have changed medication and it's working really well. Working on being comfortable setting boundaries with other people and opening up more to the people I feel safe with. I still have not a lot of hope, but I feel like I can do stuff now.

Come on everybody, we can beat this fucking life!

Good news!
Doing stuff is one of those positive-feedback loop things. The more you can do stuff, the more stuff you do, and want to do!
May I ask from what med to what med?
catwoman
treaty of versailles
treaty of versailles

Postby hayate on Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:21 am

Spicy food gives me autism. I hate everything and I hate everyone right now. Why do people eat this shit?
Neofascism will be the ultimate expression of libertarian social liberalism, of the unit which starts in May 68. Its specificity holds in this formula: All is allowed, but nothing is possible. -M.C.
hayate
puggy pearson
puggy pearson

Postby goatlord on Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:23 pm

catwoman wrote:
Good news!
Doing stuff is one of those positive-feedback loop things. The more you can do stuff, the more stuff you do, and want to do!
May I ask from what med to what med?

I don't know if the american terminology is the same, but from deprax and venlafaxine to olanzapine and elontril. So far, no side effects, besides an slight decrease of libido.

Today I felt down a bit, but I had some cognac with my parents and I got better, and now I'm going to read with higher spirits.
goatlord

Postby Goddamn Miracle on Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:22 pm

I finally worked hard enough at a kitchen job, quit after nine months of hard work and qualified for unemployment. Next step work hard for two or three years, leave small suburban town I grew up in and get on with the rest of my goals! :D 8)
KateRev wrote:Also I'm so glad we as a community have finally discovered the beer bong..progress is ours once more!
Goddamn Miracle
makeup artist
makeup artist

Postby NewDarkAge on Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:39 am

I'm burning with optimism's flames... not sure how long this will last.
bishopdante wrote:BTW was not suggesting that my particular area of interest is buttocks, but it is normal for people of all sexes and sexual persuasions to be into butts, is not weird.
NewDarkAge
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby thelastrewind on Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:31 am

Fifteen hour day on Easter Sunday. Did some podcasting, played some board games, spent a lot of quiet time on trains. Things are okay. :)
Dovey wrote:Kat Dennings is like the SKWM of lady-crushes to me. Took ages to click, and then when it did, I fell hard

(not enough to watch 2 broke girls, tho)

Don't ever correct a dead man's spelling.
thelastrewind
lardner
lardner

Postby goatlord on Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:39 am

After a really bad hunch of really bad depression, I think that I have come out the other end. :smt006

Now I'm going to read Philip K. Dick until my brain melts. Thanks, not being depressed!
goatlord

Postby VaticanShotglass on Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:56 pm

catwoman wrote:
Isabelle Gall wrote:While I presume this thread is intended to be inspirational I don't see how it's helpful to the depressed to have people suddenly differentiating themselves from you when they feel okay themselves. We know it's a special character of depression that something inescapably oceanic is so utterly isolating. You don't escape because the only chance you ever have of fighting it at all is not just to reach out but to hold on to each other.

Oddly, when I first saw these belated responses to my flash of UN-depression from a while back, but seeing that I'm again feeling low, I was tempted to post something like, "well, that didn't last too long, did it?" or some other bleak or smartass thing. But, looking at what you've just posted, and what I posted on that particular day makes me at least aware that there is still a little HOPE. I have had good days along with the many bad ones, but knowing that I DID post here is a tad encouraging (and makes it pretty clear to me that a lack of SUN is a trigger for me...)

Knowing that there were long stretches in my life when I was not depressed, but can't find my way back there right now, is frustrating, but I really need to believe that I CAN get back there again, some how, some way. So, maybe this isn't such a bad thread after all, if the people doing the differentiating are "in-the-moment-UN-depressed", differentiating themselves from their *depressed* selves.

^I support catwoman's take here. It is a valid and useful insight.

I'm happy to say I had a great day today watching and talking movies with a great friend, and I've had nearly a full weak of real quality sleep for the first time in years.

A few weeks ago I was in a really bad place and my wife had made some fresh guacamole. My sleep and eating cycle was totally wrecked and I was achingly sad every night, but that one night I wound up eating a small guacamole snack at 3 in the morning. It was like the best thing I ever ate. I just really felt the pleasure of it. I could feel love. It was a special moment. I wrote down how I felt on the fridge and went to bed. I still felt terrible for several more days, but I read that little note each day (which also told my wife how much I loved her). It reminds me every day that that moment was just as real as all the miserable ones. It's been really helpful.

So here I am making a little note that I had a really great day today that is as legitimate as any bad day. I'm grateful for that and I'm grateful for any joy the rest of you manage to get.
VaticanShotglass
Supreme Commander at the Forefront
Supreme Commander at the Forefront

Postby ::: on Wed May 04, 2016 12:21 pm

In the "Post while you are depressed thread" a few weeks ago, I wrote:Everything is terrible.

lemur68 wrote:Ever see yourself in the mirror and be like "god, fuck that guy"

Are you me?

Today I saw myself in passing in a plate glass window, shortly after recalling the above posts; my reaction, today, to my unexpected full-length image during a slightly stressful morning: "I can live with this person. I can abide this person." Progress!

VaticanShotglass wrote:So here I am making a little note that I had a really great day today that is as legitimate as any bad day. I'm grateful for that and I'm grateful for any joy the rest of you manage to get.

Word and back atcha. :smt004
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby smud on Sun May 08, 2016 1:36 pm

The weather's been absolute dog shit lately, but it won't last. Long, sunny days are on the horizon.

I feel much more confident now as a writer/thinker than I have in a while. I'm not anywhere near where I want to be, but where I am right now ain't bad. It was a struggle to get to this place but I'm gonna enjoy it while I can.

I still have days where I can barely get off the chair, but they're less and less.
smud
lil' ottowa fanny
lil' ottowa fanny

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion