home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Weird things you are suddenly interested in right now

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Weird things you are suddenly interested in right now

Postby Tommy on Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:12 pm

goatlord wrote:Well, not really that weird, but photoshop. After considering it "mastered", I've started a series of daily comics that are going to happen throughout the year, so I have been completely obssesed about how to propperly color/illustrate/whatever comics using photoshop, cheats to save some time, etc...

You might actually find that easier in one of the other CS programs: Illustrator.
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby Big John on Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:34 pm

You might to consider clip art studio if you are primarily doing comics.

https://www.clipstudio.net/en

It is the standard program in Manga and has a lot of specialized tools for perspective, backgrounds and word bubbles and ports directly to animation if you want to do that. These are the standard tools in Japan and are cheaper than photoshop. The brush and media tools also are fantastic with a Wacom style tablet. I would check it out they have a free trial and as I say it is much less expensive.

I would consider myself a photoshop master and have used it for years to do illustrations and comics but it is not well suited for that (designed for photos not illustration). But it useful due to the cmyk output for print. Clip Art Pro has CMYK output or conversion to photoshop if you would rather use that. Over time I use less print color so that is less of an issue. As well the zip a tone fills in Clip Art are great for B&W stuff or you can use washes that seem like natural materials (they also sell painter so some of the natural effects are in clip art). If I was starting out I would check it out as it really helps with a digital comics workflow as it is designed for that. I do a lot of real world work for some stuff but if I am going all digital I prefer Clip Art. It also keeps the pages together in order and switch to print page order if you are printing so a book comic is easy to work on.

This said I still use photoshop a lot and if you get part time agency gigs knowing photoshop is a plus as it is the standard photo retouching tool. As well sometimes I get stuff that gets handed off to someone else and usually I have to do it in Photoshop (though clip art saves to .psd). The layer foldering personal color palate's in Photoshop is a really useful tool as in illustration you end up with a bunch of layers and over time you find the best way to do this for how you work and it makes it easy to find or touch up a layer later in the process.

Also the light version of photoshop is generally enough for most illustrators if doing web work the pro version has some more tools but mostly the CMYK is the big difference.

I do like the clip art program and it is worth checking out I know a lot of "pros" who use it as it was designed to do comics from the beginning and the brush/pens/pencil tools and such work more naturally in your favor. As well there are some Korean Wacom Cintique competitors that look very cool and affordable I found them looking for a thin light table which they make using LCD back lighting.
Big John
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby The MayorofRockNRoll on Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:13 pm

Collaging. I'm afraid I'm serious. I'll post pics later.
I am a weird recluse only here for sex.

PRF Short Fiction Challenge

The staff weren't giving me the things I needed to do my job effectively and give the kids their money's worth...it wasn't too hard considering the concert was only $5
The MayorofRockNRoll
Master of Cunnilingus
Master of Cunnilingus

Postby Madman Munt on Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:52 pm

The MayorofRockNRoll wrote:Collaging. I'm afraid I'm serious.

What is this, the perverted fetishistic practice of injecting your dick with collagen?

I'll post pics later.

Just give us sensitive types a warning, ok?
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby Anthony Flack on Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:54 pm

No man they call that "blimping".
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby Madman Munt on Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:05 pm

I don't even want to check if it is a real thing.
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby Thanasis on Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:37 pm

Maybe not that weird, but building colourful birdhouses is interesting to me now.
I spent a couple of weekends building one with my daughter's help.
Thanasis
that guy from the opening band
that guy from the opening band

Postby Anthony Flack on Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:54 pm

Madman Munt wrote:I don't even want to check if it is a real thing.

Nor do I, and I just made it up.
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby bishopdante on Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:34 pm

Tommy wrote:
goatlord wrote:Well, not really that weird, but photoshop. After considering it "mastered", I've started a series of daily comics that are going to happen throughout the year, so I have been completely obssesed about how to propperly color/illustrate/whatever comics using photoshop, cheats to save some time, etc...

You might actually find that easier in one of the other CS programs: Illustrator.

It's quite acceptable to composite stuff with InDesign from a mixture of sources, either photoshop or illustrator.

Most people think of InDesign as a magazine page layout tool, but it's really good for image work, since loaded psd or ai files preserve blending and transparency.

Also illustrator and photoshop blend arbitrarily, because smart objects allow illustrator or photoshop files to be embedded as layers/objects in photoshop and/or illustrator, so you can create highly-nested documents using any mixture of elements.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell
bishopdante

Previous

Return to General Discussion