home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

The Fearsome and Mammoth CRYPTOCURRENCY Thread!

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: The Fearsome and Mammoth CRYPTOCURRENCY Thread!

Postby prd on Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:15 am

Purchasing a coin before or on the verge of breaking out, you simply invest in something. Unless you're a heir, you worked for that money. You won't profit much unless that coin provides a value to its users (who are willing to pay for it). Thus you take some risk, help to create a value and may end up reaping the harvest -- or get burnt.

The time you invest in your research prior to buying anything is also a voluntary work. The planet Earth does not benefit, uh uh, certain people do, some people don't and some people will even end up working shitty jobs to cover up for your well-being. But that's the system and its lottery as a whole. Unless you could afford to throw a hundred of millions USD on BTC about a year ago to become a billionaire ten months later doing dick, by investing small amounts in good prenatal altcoins, you're definitely more on the "create" rather than "devour in the biggest chunks possible" side of things.

Saying all this, I've been having a shitload of doubts regarding usefulness of what I was doing -- be it washing dishes, flipping burgers or wearing a tie -- all my life. This feels pretty innocent. It's not just making money. It's also how you spend it. You can give too, you know.

I'm not a huge fan of the current BTC, but I know for sure it helped many ordinary people around the world. Not necessarily to get rich, but rather to get going. Or just to get paid.

I know of some very poor people from Africa who knew how to code stuff but couldn't afford to buy a laptop, they collected a couple of thousand or even millions of satoshi doing trivial tasks for a small reward through their mobile phones, and then, after the Rise, they got wealthy enough to purchase a decent laptop and began working steady jobs long distance -- again -- getting paid in BTC. That's some cool stuff.
prd

Postby gonzochicago on Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:43 pm

prd wrote:Purchasing a coin before or on the verge of breaking out, you simply invest in something. Unless you're a heir, you worked for that money. You won't profit much unless that coin provides a value to its users (who are willing to pay for it). Thus you take some risk, help to create a value and may end up reaping the harvest -- or get burnt.

The time you invest in your research prior to buying anything is also a voluntary work. The planet Earth does not benefit, uh uh, certain people do, some people don't and some people will even end up working shitty jobs to cover up for your well-being. But that's the system and its lottery as a whole. Unless you could afford to throw a hundred of millions USD on BTC about a year ago to become a billionaire ten months later doing dick, by investing small amounts in good prenatal altcoins, you're definitely more on the "create" rather than "devour in the biggest chunks possible" side of things.

Saying all this, I've been having a shitload of doubts regarding usefulness of what I was doing -- be it washing dishes, flipping burgers or wearing a tie -- all my life. This feels pretty innocent. It's not just making money. It's also how you spend it. You can give too, you know.

I'm not a huge fan of the current BTC, but I know for sure it helped many ordinary people around the world. Not necessarily to get rich, but rather to get going. Or just to get paid.

I know of some very poor people from Africa who knew how to code stuff but couldn't afford to buy a laptop, they collected a couple of thousand or even millions of satoshi doing trivial tasks for a small reward through their mobile phones, and then, after the Rise, they got wealthy enough to purchase a decent laptop and began working steady jobs long distance -- again -- getting paid in BTC. That's some cool stuff.

Indeed. Raiblocks is huge in poorer S.E. Asian countries. Many bought good chunks at .02 cents, and it now hovers at $20. This brought thousands of less than wealthy people, to put it lightly, wealth they could only dream of...and it hasn't even started. I love that.

Buy the ticket, take the ride. Sure, people bought my bags of Request network at .10 cents. .20 cents. But I mean, speaking of Request Network :

You are the best, Request Network.:

ImageScreen Shot 2018-01-01 at 5.35.11 AM by John Yingling, on Flickr

Please hit a fucking dollar in January. :smt007 :twisted: :smt007 :twisted: :lol:

Happy goddamn New Year.
Last edited by gonzochicago on Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gonzochicago
chimp
chimp

Lessons from 2008

Postby seanurban on Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:11 pm

I mean yeah. One could write a whole book about the concept of guilt and labor and I'm sure it would be fascinating. But whenever I go there I get extremely unproductive and insane, frankly. It's just not healthy.
If you're not using your money for evil purposes then enjoy it without guilt. If you don't, someone else will.
phpBB [media]

Happy New Years
Last edited by seanurban on Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seanurban
King High

Postby gonzochicago on Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:50 am

REQUEST NETWORK IS CLOSING IN ON A GODDAMN DOLLAR.

90 CENTS!

No way we won't see a correction, but holy absolute shit.

Unreal. :smt007
gonzochicago
chimp
chimp

Postby prd on Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:12 am

Yep. It already slipped back to 70s. A nice ascend nonetheless. MaidSafe made a lot of people smile too.
prd

Postby gonzochicago on Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:57 pm

Uh....okay.

I did it.

Debt free + capital gains taxes taken care of, minus some student loans, if I cashed it all out right now.

What to do now?

Cold storage for 3 months so I don't fucking hate myself later for selling too early?

This is without my new influx of capital in 2 weeks.

Can't believe it. Happened so fast. Not at all even worried about it going to shit. It won't.

Thoughts welcome.
gonzochicago
chimp
chimp

Postby seanurban on Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:52 pm

I dreamed that bitcoin fell to zero and it took all of ten minutes. It looked like mad max.

I'm not saying it will crash but if it does, I think it will be fast.
seanurban
King High

Postby prd on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:13 am

gonzochicago wrote:Uh....okay.

I did it.

Debt free + capital gains taxes taken care of, minus some student loans, if I cashed it all out right now.

What to do now?

Cold storage for 3 months so I don't fucking hate myself later for selling too early?

This is without my new influx of capital in 2 weeks.

Can't believe it. Happened so fast. Not at all even worried about it going to shit. It won't.

Thoughts welcome.

Not sure what I would do. I see three ways basically.

1. Stay put, keep your eye on the chart and set a stop-loss limit.

2. Cash out just enough to cover for the most important real-life expenses, but also put aside an amount that gets you well in again -- should it plummet so badly the amount you left in loses any value whatsoever, because the coin is good, 2018 will be (or at least should be) all growth, thus any dump will be rather temporary.

3. Cash it all out, straighten out your balance and keep your foot in the cryptoworld. It's not the last coin to do well you know.
prd

Postby prd on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:18 am

Btw has anyone been using the Cryptopia exchange?
prd

Postby hellholiday on Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:39 am

When do we show off our cards?

hellholiday
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby seanurban on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:21 pm

Doug Polk taking down the scammers and liars, calling them out by name. He comes at it from a poker background, my language.
phpBB [media]
seanurban
King High

Postby gonzochicago on Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:30 am

Thanks, PRD. I agree. I am going to let REQ sit for exactly one month and consider my options then. If Main Net is in sight, I will hold longer. I do use Cryptopia. It's fine. Good for catching shit early, as is Gate.io, and KuCoin (though KC has been fucking terrible lately)

Heads up folks :

IoT-Chain (ITC) is out, and moving, not hard-core mooning, but....this is the "IOTA of China", and I've done some research. Sold some XLM, going in for a medium size position. I suggest you all take a look at this. Takeaways :

Current price : $4.10 / 152M Market Cap.

- There's a tester Binance wallet, and KuCoin could be possible, considering Chinese ties.

- Medium risk / very high reward potential, considering it's early / only chinese exchanges.

- Will turn into a DAG in September, supposedly. From what I know, this is the first Chinese DAG, and just so happens to couple in the IoT aspect. Huge potential.

Ant-Shares vibes. (but remember, Ant-Shares lost 100% before gaining 5,000% :P) I bought on Huobi, but supposedly Americans should buy on something called "BiBox" for easier withdrawal? I know nothing about that. However, living in Mainland China, I have someone who can do KYC shit for me if need be. No idea, just jumped in. Not worried about that, for myself. DYOR, but consider it soon.

Even though it's 300% up: This is still some serious wild west shit. If you get in, be prepared.

That said, I'm quite comfy.

Final thoughts : Buy what you can hold until September 2018. This one's all about risk VS. delivery.
To sell this before it turns into a DAG, whether it happens or not, would be a very big mistake.

A Beginner's guide to IOT-Chain : https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/a-beginners-guide-to-iot-chain-the-iota-of-china_us_5a4a4edee4b06cd2bd03e183

Reddit (for digging) : https://www.reddit.com/r/itcofficial/

-----------

P.S. : Look into Bitboost (BBT).

Just got added to Yobit, but that doesn't show on Coin Market Cap.

Still 1M Market Cap. Actually not a shit-coin? Gripped a small position. Absolutely worth the risk, IMO.

Consider it. Cheers. :smt006
gonzochicago
chimp
chimp

Postby bishopdante on Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:47 am

phpBB [media]

Very no-nonsense thinking.

NB: AvE did actually do some DIY gold mining.

phpBB [media]
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." - Bertrand Russell
bishopdante
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby gonzochicago on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:00 am

Thanks, Bishop! Will scope.

Both ITC & BBT are up 50%. Sucks to say it, but I advise waiting for them to cool off before entering. Best way to not get burned.

EDIT : ITC 75% UP. I highly advise waiting on entry for a day or two, even if you miss the first run. Not worth the risk bagholding for an unknown amount of time.

Edit #2 : BBT UP 130%. Jesus. Do as you wish with this one. Still insanely low market cap.

Edit #3 : ITC cracked 150% since the call. Juicy dip. Get in now (low $7's) if you want in. Again, hold this shit until September. If it really does become a DAG, shit is going to get real.
gonzochicago
chimp
chimp

Postby gonzochicago on Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:38 am

gonzochicago wrote:
prd wrote:
andyman wrote:Sorry to be a n00b, but what are you guys using for your wallets? I'm trying to orient myself with all this and so far am going Coinbase and Binance for a first run, since XRP seems to be on an upswing. Lot of shit to get a grasp on.

Going for Ripple is a good thing to do.

I use Electrum for BTC and even for storing Maid before (if) the SafeNet becomes a thing.

Has anyone used the Bit.Ac wallet in the past? They were one of the first wallets (if not the first one) to support almost every relevant coin. I originally registered for the purpose of storing Dash in 2016, but then found another way and forgot about it completely. Only these days, checking for every change I might have left somewhere, I found out the founder of Bit.Ac pulled Houdini, took all the stored coins from everyone without a "thank you" and disappeared into his own private financially secure and morally dead afterlife.

Which is a bit.ac of a warning. Try to avoid the third party.

I may be wrong in a few weeks time, again, but if anyone new is lurking, if I were you I would absolutely not touch Ripple with a ten-foot pole for at least a week or two. For Ripple to go up even just 100%, that would put its market cap at 200 BILLION, or close to Bitcoin's. I really just don't see that happening in the next few months. I fear Ripple's correction is going to be heavy, and come with speed.

If anything, highly consider Stellar Lumens, or Request Network.

I have not tried Bit.Ac! Will try and look into it.

I use "My Ether Wallet" paper wallets for some things, like REQ. It holds ERC20 coins.

Hoping Exodus starts adding more of my shit soon. Fees are high but it'll be a decent solution for interim things.

I really, really need to buy a hardware wallet....like, yesterday. Really don't want to buy it in China, but....ah. Getting sweaty. :x

Count me wrong, AGAIN. FIVE DAYS LATER.

All bets are off folks.

I'm honestly sweating now.

Is 2018 really going to be the "year of the ALT's"?

Can hundreds of new millionaires continue being made on a daily basis for this whole year, before it all goes to shit?

I just...can't fathom what's happening now.

A general consensus is that "we're just getting started", but I cannot imagine that being the case. I'd love to be dead wrong.

Dot Com went bust at 7 Trillion. We're 1/10th of the way there.

One thing is for sure : When the inevitable bear market comes, it's going to be absolutely brutal.

Anyone new entering these markets should be very cautious right now. Play it safe, please. Get yourself some house money, keep dicking around. Try to get up 100-200%, and then add more if you wish.

Be safe out there.
gonzochicago
chimp
chimp

Postby prd on Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:11 am

Ripple was always gonna make it and I knew as soon as in 2016 -- but played it way too safe.

Anyway, your suggestions paid off pretty well too. Stellar is on the rise.

I currently have my money on these alts (I no longer consider Ethereum, Dash or Ripple an altcoin. They're up there -- to remain):

Siacoin (More than tripled my investment in about a month.)

Stellar (I feel pretty confident about this one.)

BitShares (Might boom a bit, as more and more exchanges enforce KYC, although there are some decentralized exchanges such as EtherDelta.)

FunFair (I hate gambling, but consider its idea pretty useful, and it grows!)

Maid (I'm a long time holder. It maid some money this past week, but I never sell. IF this comes through, the Moon is too low. No pump behind it makes me feel good and secure.)

REQ (Bought solely on suggestion by Gonzo -- to no worries, I always consider such money lost.)

0x (Again, bought on a tip with no worries or future remorse.)

I even hold my fair amount of shitcoins:

Reddcoin (Shockingly jumped three times in value in like 48 hours.)

Electroneum (If they manage to deliver, it may go bigger.)

Tron (I simply like it, vanity, oh vanity -- but it grows like crazy!) EDIT: This thing up 200% today, Binance down. ANOTHER EDIT: Ten minutes later, up 283%, no longer a shitcoin, China just bought my belief, although Binance still down. ANOTHER EDIT: Like not event ten whole minutes later, it is up 332.48%, crazy! I should have been way more generous with this one -- on myself. EDIT: 8 minutes later -- 437%, it has gone up 1000% in 3 days. EDIT: 15 minutes later; a massive dump, still at respectable 189.33%. Everybody in the neighborhood should keep their eye on this one and they will -- I am sure that I will.

Dogecoin (It's a great transfer coin for change to me. The transactions are cheap and fast. And I got mine in 2014. The only snag being Binance does not support it.)

---

All combined, since everything keeps growing, it keeps making a lot of dough. Caution is a great thing, as many bubbles will burst in the future. The truly valuable coins will survive though and probably get even stronger.
prd

Postby gonzochicago on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:37 am

Hell yeah, PRD! Flip 25% of your stacks and re-invest. Good picks, for sure. Missed the 0x boat. My new strategy for 2018 is to not buy a single coin that has risen 50% up from where Coin Market Cap added it's data. That, and ICO's. Shipchain will be first. Let's kill it.

Just jumped in for 1 ETH worth of BitClave (CAT) with house money. Decentralized search engine. Literally just hit the markets (HitBTC). ICON founder is on board as an advisor. It's 0'd out at -22% right now. Ground floor.

Also :

ImageScreen Shot 2018-01-05 at 2.32.43 PM by John Yingling, on Flickr

IT BEGINS!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
gonzochicago
chimp
chimp

Postby andyman on Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:43 pm

I've been in this game 2 days and I feel like a junkie

offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
andyman

Postby gonzochicago on Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:28 am

Hold on...
gonzochicago
chimp
chimp

Postby gonzochicago on Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:40 am

gonzochicago wrote:Did you buy Request Network (REQ) ?

ImageScreen Shot 2017-11-07 at 2.53.37 PM by John Yingling, on Flickr

It needs to get off the manipulation of the Binance exchange. There is chatter of that happening.

Very few coins besides bullshit pump and dumps have this kind of gain during the fork. I believe there's a reason for that.

If you're on the fence, wait 72 hours.

You might get another chance to grab this in the mid .04 range before the fork ends.

If you do, don't blow it.

ImageScreen Shot 2018-01-06 at 3.24.56 PM by John Yingling, on Flickr

Two months ago on the nose.

Speechless.

We...we did it.

New plan : Not a single one leaves my hands until June. Will re-evaluate again, then.

Can't believe it happened so fast.
gonzochicago
chimp
chimp

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion