home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

The Fearsome and Mammoth CRYPTOCURRENCY Thread!

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: The Fearsome and Mammoth CRYPTOCURRENCY Thread!

Postby andyman on Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:40 pm

andteater wrote:watching people so completely sure of themselves get everything wrong over and over again


How's your poker game these days?





Image
offal wrote:I just want to be able to play bitchin' single-stroke rolls before I die
User avatar
andyman
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius
 
Posts: 4170
Joined: Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:31 am
Location: Cambridge

Re: The Fearsome and Mammoth CRYPTOCURRENCY Thread!

Postby andteater on Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:32 am

andyman wrote:
andteater wrote:watching people so completely sure of themselves get everything wrong over and over again


How's your poker game these days?

Image


not sure what that has to do with the discussion at all, but as always, poker is going well.

andyk
User avatar
andteater
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt
 
Posts: 1927
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:29 pm
Location: pilsen

Re: The Fearsome and Mammoth CRYPTOCURRENCY Thread!

Postby gonzochicago on Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:30 pm

andteater wrote:the best thing about crypto is watching people so completely sure of themselves get everything wrong over and over again and then make very confident new statements with confusing graphs.

life is great.


I do enjoy the TA posts that are immediately justed. Bitmex, too. Woof.

PRD, yes. Ha!

I wussied out. I just don't think it's time yet. I highly doubt REQ's main net will significantly raise the price in this market. Q2 will likely be this, and many other's time to shine.

Sold for a 10% gain, and tethered up. Feels good to be at the ready. No coinbase-to-nervous transfer wait. Just one click away now.

Entry when everyone is the utmost most pissed off. I can wait, just as I did with the China ban back when I began this thread, except my senses are much more hardened to follow through.

Mining supposedly now becomes unprofitable under $4,000. It'd be amazing if it hit $4,005 or something, but somehow I highly doubt it'll crack $5,000.

Come on. Do your worst. :twisted:
gonzochicago
chimp
chimp
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:16 pm

Re: The Fearsome and Mammoth CRYPTOCURRENCY Thread!

Postby rayword45 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:01 am

I never Tethered up out of fear as to when (not if) the Tether audit shall cause the bubble to burst. And I paid a big price (we're talking college debt shit) for it. But at this point I shall continue HODLing anyways. I'm still up lol.
User avatar
rayword45
lt. kara 'starbuck' trace
lt. kara 'starbuck' trace
 
Posts: 698
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:54 pm

Re: The Fearsome and Mammoth CRYPTOCURRENCY Thread!

Postby gonzochicago on Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:42 pm

Looking good today. If you're at even or up hard on something, consider tethering some and wait a month. Just my opinion. Though it certainly looks like the "return to the mean" for many altcoins (Cough, REQ, sigh) I'd say sitting it out is better than another possible huge bleed, at this point. No idea where you're at, though.

After wussy-ing out and tethering up that previous buy (a great idea), I watched REQ dip insanely hard, in real time, on the 19th, to 0.13 cents. Button hovered with a large sum. Didn't do it. (a terrible idea). Even told myself i'm an absolute idiot for not doing it as I went to sleep, with the main net imminent in 10 days or less. I'd now be up 60%. Sigh. Feels bad, man. :evil: :x

This market has shattered much of my good decision making. How I didn't pull that trigger when it was below December prices is beyond me. Such is life.

I'd say I'm hoping for one more crack, but in REQ's case, the main net announcement is likely causing this hard raise, and it'll be over by the time it'd happen again.

Sidelines now. Bummed. Next.
gonzochicago
chimp
chimp
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:16 pm

Re: The Fearsome and Mammoth CRYPTOCURRENCY Thread!

Postby gonzochicago on Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:19 am

Fuck this. Back in on REQ at 0.19 cents.

The Shipchain ICO has fallen -75% and after one week, I believe found a floor. Gone in moderately. In my opinion, the probability of any further fall is quite low, considering they have a "Track and Trace" program with Purdue Farms rolling out in the next 7 days. A good Q2 is also coming. I'd suggest looking into this.

Simple needs now. I'll unload a majority of my REQ at .39 cents, and much of Shipchain when it hits ICO price. The rest ride for shits and giggles.

Time is on my side. Will continue onward then.
gonzochicago
chimp
chimp
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:16 pm

Re: The Fearsome and Mammoth CRYPTOCURRENCY Thread!

Postby gonzochicago on Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:22 pm

Watched Odyssey (OCN) go up 50%....then another 50% the next day, back up to ICO price. Said fuck it on the second raise, waited for a 10% dip, and jumped in. This might pull a min-Tron, considering the partnership. Be careful though. Pick a target and get out. Wallet release and O-Bike implementation in the next 7 days or so. Already up 100% from two days ago and just won't quit. I missed 0.006-0.008 range, but I will not fucking sell this until all the news is out. I'd say wait for a dip, but I jumped in with a half stack blind, and am up 15% already, so I think you might want to just get on board while it's still near ICO price. Clearly, that dump to 0.0065 was for some heavy buys.

Seems comfy, as long at BTC continues sideways. I still don't trust it, but I'm in now. Nothing to do but see how this rolls.

Also, April 22 billions more coins go into circulation, so if you're not out by then, I'd jump out and tether 72 hours or more before that date.

One could wait for some retracement on this, but you might just fuck yourself out of the whole deal, considering the cap and news. Top gainer for the day and soon to be week, so more eyes coming. Hype still drives markets, even in this bear. See : ICX

Think about it : https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/odyssey/

Cheers.
gonzochicago
chimp
chimp
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:16 pm

Re: The Fearsome and Mammoth CRYPTOCURRENCY Thread!

Postby unsaved on Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:39 am

The Baffler: Zealots of the Blockchain

https://thebaffler.com/salvos/zealots-of-the-blockchain-golumbia

Bitcoin—and the blockchain technology out of which Bitcoin was built—serves as an especially forceful expression of the strong anti-institutional and anti-democratic bias hard-coded into our digital infrastructure. Leaderless, “distributed,” “decentralized,” resistant to empirical fact, larded with conspiracy-mongering disdain for what it variably refers to as “mainstream” or “bankster” propaganda, and yet simultaneously tied to the great profit-making and profit-extraction machines at the center of the world’s financial capitals, Bitcoin exemplifies the anti-institutional organization Shirky celebrates. Yet for the most part, its alternative structures and operating motives are distinct steps backward from what it claims to replace. First mooted as “money,” Bitcoin fulfills essentially none of money’s functions; next billed as “currency,” its massive volatility has made it all but unusable; pitched as an alternative to the putative “theft of value” caused by “inflationary” official money, it has revealed itself to be the most inflationary (and deflationary) instrument ever to trade widely; venerated by its followers as a rebuke to the malfeasance of Wall Street, it has succumbed to its own hostility for regulation, betraying a propensity for fraud and manipulation that begins to rival what investors encounter in traditional financial institutions.

During its rise, Bitcoin has taken the shape of one justly maligned form of “incumbent” organization: the religious cult. Like many digital anti-institutional organizations, Bitcoin hollows out the practices of what had already been a massively corrupt and dangerous organizational form—that is, an organized cult like Scientology—and replaces them with remarkably thin simulacra. To begin with, the language used to maintain belief in Bitcoin is viciously circular, self-justifying, wildly metaphorical, and difficult if not impossible to link to fact. And as with many cults, those selling this gospel most vociferously are also those who stand to profit disproportionately from its acceptance—an interest they fail to disclose in their evangelism.

Unlike traditional cults, though, Bitcoin has no specific creed, no single geographic location, and no truly identifiable belief system—other than Bitcoin itself. To believe in Bitcoin is to believe in Bitcoin; adherents can articulate little more than this, beyond the flimsy notion that belief will redound to the ultimate benefit of the believer.
User avatar
unsaved
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt
 
Posts: 1904
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:09 pm
Location: ORD CFD EMS

Re: The Fearsome and Mammoth CRYPTOCURRENCY Thread!

Postby kokorodoko on Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:39 pm

Comparing everything to a religious cult is a little tired, however the "anti-democratic bias hard-coded into our digital infrastructure" is definitely poignant, I hope they go into it in more detail. It's a long ass article, so I'll read the rest later.
Janeway wrote:those cat-food-for-lunch-deserving motherfuckers 8)
User avatar
kokorodoko
lt. kara 'starbuck' trace
lt. kara 'starbuck' trace
 
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:46 pm
Location: The Ultra Zone

Re: The Fearsome and Mammoth CRYPTOCURRENCY Thread!

Postby prd on Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:08 am

Gee, BTC is a blockchain-based, P2P, proof-of-wok utilizing payment system. A naive, idealistic and in many ways flawed post-08-crisis attempt at fixing what the founder thought had been the main reason for the economy flop -- through limited supply and a public ledger.

It is just a tech. The rest is people out to lunch / using it / abusing it / building their rep preaching it / building their rep slating it.

That prick included.

No, BTC is not a religion. It's a tech. It has no creed. It has an open source code anyone can modify and build upon. If you don't like BTC, if I don't like BTC and we know better than monger via running our mouth off, we can try to modify / fix / improve it. If the community likes it, they'll adopt it. If they don't, well, we can create our own system.

How is this for democracy?

All you need is learn to code. No, nobody's gonna do it for you. But until you learn to code and understand the basics, you're one of the millions of blabbers who know dick about what BTC really is, how it works or that it's always improving. It will never be "finished". It's gonna change just as the world does. It should, however, always be open source (transparent) and open to ideas for a change.

If you can't see any difference between BTC and corporate environments / governments, you chose blindness / ignorance.

What this dude completely fails to grasp is that it was in fact the good ole whales who poured shitload of dough in, pumped the price up and basically clogged the system, rendering it useless.

BTC was totally and absolutely useful and used payment system up until 2016. It got worse and out of reach for regular people when it got adopted by the worst of the old whale structures and used for speculation. That is by no means an argument against BTC.

People who try to pigeonhole BTC as anything they hate through some facet similarity always fail. It's not a religion, it's not a surveillance tool, it's not inherently pedophile, right-wing, left-wing or libertarian, it's a tech. The rest is how you use it. What you see in BTC is fucking you.
prd
 

Re: The Fearsome and Mammoth CRYPTOCURRENCY Thread!

Postby Gramsci on Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:09 am

kokorodoko wrote:Comparing everything to a religious cult is a little tired, however the "anti-democratic bias hard-coded into our digital infrastructure" is definitely poignant, I hope they go into it in more detail. It's a long ass article, so I'll read the rest later.


Maybe it’s closer to gambling addiction..?
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
User avatar
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer
 
Posts: 10403
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:43 am
Location: The People's Republic

Re: The Fearsome and Mammoth CRYPTOCURRENCY Thread!

Postby kokorodoko on Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:13 am

prd wrote:What this dude completely fails to grasp is that it was in fact the good ole whales who poured shitload of dough in, pumped the price up and basically clogged the system, rendering it useless.

BTC was totally and absolutely useful and used payment system up until 2016. It got worse and out of reach for regular people when it got adopted by the worst of the old whale structures and used for speculation. That is by no means an argument against BTC.

Haha, no it wasn't. I was doing bitcoin business in 2012-2013. Price could be 6 euros one day and 8 euros the next. From what I heard at the very beginning they were like 30 cents a piece or less. That's already a MASSIVE increase. If you had a 1000 bitcoins at the starting price and traded them away before the price rose, you would hate yourself. And what use is a currency if no one wants to trade it?

Further down the line, I held bitcoins worth 200 dollars, only two weeks or so of downtime and I looked back to find them at 1200. That's INSANE.

From the first day I even heard about this stuff, people were using it for speculation, it was what people talked about everywhere. People had made millions of dollars from it, already then.

So bollocks to your notion that bitcoin was "ruined" by "the old whales" (who? and where's the proof of this?) inflating the value by pumping in loads of money, like that shit wasn't gonna happen inevitably anyway.
Janeway wrote:those cat-food-for-lunch-deserving motherfuckers 8)
User avatar
kokorodoko
lt. kara 'starbuck' trace
lt. kara 'starbuck' trace
 
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:46 pm
Location: The Ultra Zone

Re: The Fearsome and Mammoth CRYPTOCURRENCY Thread!

Postby prd on Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:02 am

kokorodoko wrote:
prd wrote:What this dude completely fails to grasp is that it was in fact the good ole whales who poured shitload of dough in, pumped the price up and basically clogged the system, rendering it useless.

BTC was totally and absolutely useful and used payment system up until 2016. It got worse and out of reach for regular people when it got adopted by the worst of the old whale structures and used for speculation. That is by no means an argument against BTC.

Haha, no it wasn't. I was doing bitcoin business in 2012-2013. Price could be 6 euros one day and 8 euros the next. From what I heard at the very beginning they were like 30 cents a piece or less. That's already a MASSIVE increase. If you had a 1000 bitcoins at the starting price and traded them away before the price rose, you would hate yourself. And what use is a currency if no one wants to trade it?

Further down the line, I held bitcoins worth 200 dollars, only two weeks or so of downtime and I looked back to find them at 1200. That's INSANE.

From the first day I even heard about this stuff, people were using it for speculation, it was what people talked about everywhere. People had made millions of dollars from it, already then.

So bollocks to your notion that bitcoin was "ruined" by "the old whales" (who? and where's the proof of this?) inflating the value by pumping in loads of money, like that shit wasn't gonna happen inevitably anyway.


Well, if you say you were doing a BTC business back then (for some irrational reason, I don't believe you a single word, but you can definitely convince me through providing your blockchain history), you admit you used it, volatility (which I never denied btw) notwithstanding. So I don't really know wtf you're arguing here.

I wasn't talking about the price, but scalability.

And no, BTC was definitely not worth 30 cents at the beginning, hehe.

EDIT: I already provided enough evidence in this thread in regards to people who actually pay for their daily expenses with BTC. If you reach all the way up your smelly ass to pull out an audacious generalization such as "it's only used for speculation and it has always been so", which is a complete and utter nonsense, you obviously have all the (wrong) reasons to ignore the fact there are coffee shops and grocery stores all around the world accepting ONLY fucking BTC and Ether. But it doesn't make your generalization any more true.

I'm so tired of stupidity surrounding this topic. I'm fucking checking out. Fuck you. And happy Easter.
prd
 

Re: The Fearsome and Mammoth CRYPTOCURRENCY Thread!

Postby kokorodoko on Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:36 am

prd wrote:Well, if you say you were doing a BTC business back then (for some irrational reason, I don't believe you a single word, but you can definitely convince me through providing your blockchain history), you admit you used it, volatility (which I never denied btw) notwithstanding. So I don't really know wtf you're arguing here.

Believe it or not. I don't have my blockchain history lying around, but it doesn't matter. Those things I was telling about are facts, that's what the average value was at the time, those are the fluctuations that happened.

30 cents or one dollar, the point is that the rather modest sum of 8 euros was already a vast increase from the starting prices.

Of course people were using it for transactions. They still do as far as I know. I never said it was ONLY used for speculation, I said speculation was a fundamental part of it from the very beginning. The current price is not an anomaly. The price was rising constantly. A few cataclysmic drops every now and then, but by and large it was going up and up and up. Unlike what you suggested that somewhere along the line some people came along and "ruined" it, and that that is the cause of those fantastical prices we see right now.

prd wrote:Fuck you.

Likewise.
Janeway wrote:those cat-food-for-lunch-deserving motherfuckers 8)
User avatar
kokorodoko
lt. kara 'starbuck' trace
lt. kara 'starbuck' trace
 
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:46 pm
Location: The Ultra Zone

Re: The Fearsome and Mammoth CRYPTOCURRENCY Thread!

Postby gonzochicago on Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:51 pm

Ya'll are testy. :lol:

The hard squeeze continues. It is indeed funny to remember looking at BTC at $100. How intense this thread got in just 4 months! I am sure many people have a "shoulda woulda coulda" outlook on many things right now, myself included. So it goes.

I've left my Request Network in the game for the long term. Everything else has been pulled out, because with a commitment to move to Indonesia, I just can't risk it. Best case scenario, we see a recovery by fall and REQ funds a longer jaunt of my project. Their Main Net looks cool as hell, and I'm excited to watch it grow, regardless of price.

This will recover, and it will happen again. Maybe not to this level, anymore. Maybe bigger. Tough to say.

I've said it before, but this should be the year of true beginnings of use cases...or at least, all the promises of them.

The real question is if / how these alternative projects can de-couple from Bitcoin.

Should be a very interesting year.
gonzochicago
chimp
chimp
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:16 pm

Re: The Fearsome and Mammoth CRYPTOCURRENCY Thread!

Postby gonzochicago on Thu May 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Wew!

In hindsight, early April was the time to buy.

I didn't, but I did jump in quickly the last few weeks and seize some major opportunities...shit, what a ride. There is still a lot of opportunity in this space, every day. Got doxxed by /biz. Immediately cashed out 90%. Hell of a week, man.

My fundraising goal I wanted for the thing has been fulfilled now, with room for emergencies like a bike accident. Perfect.

I've left some small bags of High Performance Blockchain, QASH, and 0xBTC for shits and giggles, and hope that the summer treats them well and afford a bit more opportunity later this year. Really don't see much of a reason why it wouldn't, but that's me.

I still think you should buy Chainlink.

Lots of great new opportunities, but I just don't have the funds to risk now, with the intensity coming up.

If you're still looking into this, and are unsure, wait a month or two, and watch for the time people are angry, hop in with a tester. Or just buy something with a very low possibility of failure rate toward mid - EOY, and hold. QASH is a good one. Stellar Lumens. Still, Request Network.

I still think this is going to be a big year. Gonna have to sit on the sidelines, but hey, maybe 0xBTC will properly blow the fuck up and I'll have my wiggle room once again. Caught absolute bottom, so, very comfy. Time and again, they say it won't / couldn't be done by _______ x ___#____.

xo
gonzochicago
chimp
chimp
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:16 pm

Re: The Fearsome and Mammoth CRYPTOCURRENCY Thread!

Postby JamesForest on Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:55 am

I mined some amount of bitcoins and want to convert it in fiat money. My friend said that VirWox quite good exchange and Coinmama not bad. But i've found these bunch of topics https://bitcoinbestbuy.com/exchanges/ and can't choose now. There are so many! Could you help me, please? :|
JamesForest
jock
jock
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:28 am
Location: USA

Re: The Fearsome and Mammoth CRYPTOCURRENCY Thread!

Postby gonzochicago on Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:54 am

JamesForest wrote:I mined some amount of bitcoins and want to convert it in fiat money. My friend said that VirWox quite good exchange and Coinmama not bad. But i've found these bunch of topics https://bitcoinbestbuy.com/exchanges/ and can't choose now. There are so many! Could you help me, please? :|


Coinmama...? Can you sell to fiat on that? (You say "exchange", but to be clear, you want to convert it into a local currency?)

I assume you can't use Coinbase... I don't know much about the other ways because I'm a filthy American, but perhaps someone else will chime in.

How about Local Bitcoins?
gonzochicago
chimp
chimp
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:16 pm

Re: The Fearsome and Mammoth CRYPTOCURRENCY Thread!

Postby prd on Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:23 pm

Bitfinex, Coinbase, Livecoin, Kraken are good for BTC to USD/Euro conversion.

If you don't mind the kiwi dollars, try Cryptopia.

Or find an ATM that supports the BTC to cash conversion.
prd
 

Re: The Fearsome and Mammoth CRYPTOCURRENCY Thread!

Postby seanurban on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:56 am

unsaved wrote:
Andrew. wrote:
gonzochicago wrote:^
Comfy.

Stay safe.
Sure.
So this crypto community flocked here to create its paradise. Now the investors are spending their days hunting for property where they could have their own airports and docks. They are taking over hotels and a museum in the capital’s historic section, called Old San Juan. They say they are close to getting the local government to allow them to have the first cryptocurrency bank.

What’s happened here is a perfect storm,” said Halsey Minor, the founder of the news site CNET, who is moving his new blockchain company — called Videocoin — from the Cayman Islands to Puerto Rico this winter. Referring to Hurricane Maria and the investment interest that has followed, he added, “While it was really bad for the people of Puerto Rico, in the long term it’s a godsend if people look past that."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/02/tech ... d=fb-share
Psychopaths.
Opportunistic libertarian scumbags. Hopefully the locals who are still without electricity and water string them up.

AJ Benza said on the carolla podcast that puertopia is a front for a pedophile ring. He called out brock pierce by name.
User avatar
seanurban
King High
 
Posts: 4693
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:22 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot], Verbs & Nouns and 15 guests