home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

PRF Monthly Tribute Series 40: ABBA

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: PRF Monthly Tribute Series 40: ABBA

Postby free meat on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:41 am

Major wrote:This is fucking difficult.

Yep. Those bearded Swedish bitches wrote some odd songs.
free meat
baron munchausen
baron munchausen

Postby hench on Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:51 am

well, ACTUALLY, you can have your senior photo taken and still have time for an abba tribute...

abba.jpg
abba.jpg (122.53 KiB) Viewed 1028 times
hench
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby hench on Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:54 am

abba had "everyday is halloween" on lock way before ministry. all tributes due by end of night on tuesday, october 31st. spooktacular!

abba.jpg
hench

Postby duskyamp on Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:43 pm

I wanted to finish mine before I listened to any others, to avoid creative contamination. Now that I can listen to y'all's, holy shit! Y'all are good! It's a good thing I didn't listen to Paraquat's or I might have just given up then and there.
I design and build stuff for musicians at Dusky Electronics.
I play guitar in Woodvamp.
duskyamp
duke
duke

Postby b1l-paraquat on Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:56 am

duskyamp wrote:I wanted to finish mine before I listened to any others, to avoid creative contamination. Now that I can listen to y'all's, holy shit! Y'all are good! It's a good thing I didn't listen to Paraquat's or I might have just given up then and there.

You flatter me, sir. This was one month where I had an 18-year-old recording in my back pocket, so I challenged myself to try something completely different for the fresh track and came up with "Abbatage"... Heading over to listen to "Fernando" --
l_o_c wrote:I couldn't find any quotes on Sun Ra's political affiliation, beyond the need for there to be a Black House, and that the White House should be sent to the moon. I'm unaware if these are current Republican issues.
b1l-paraquat
viscount
viscount

Postby hench on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:12 am

voting now closed!

listen here: http://bit.ly/2wx1wi3

ok!
Last edited by hench on Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
hench

Postby Major on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:40 am

Why is Paraquat "non-voting"? Probably would have been my #1.

I voted for both versions of "Does Your Mother Know". bear and bird did great with "Knowing Me, Knowing You", which is probably my favorite ABBA song and my original choice to cover. The jokey ones were good for a guffaw. Mr. Tyzik's "Arrival" was nice, almost wish I'd have picked that one.

But goddamn, Chris Rossi's "Fernando" is THE SHIT. Winner. Definite 70's, private press country vibe.

https://prfmonthlytributeseries.bandcam ... k/fernando
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby duskyamp on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:46 am

My votes: Isosceles Lock, Fake Swede, Bear and Bird. Would've voted for Paraquat, too. Really liked most of 'em.
I design and build stuff for musicians at Dusky Electronics.
I play guitar in Woodvamp.
duskyamp
duke
duke

Postby wotown on Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:18 am

Paraquat's was a song recorded years ago, and the general rule for "eligible for voting" is "something created during the challenge month."
I play bass in Body Futures
I sing and play whatever's needed in The Five Mod Four
I rarely use Twitter
wotown
baboon
baboon

Postby 154 on Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:58 am

I voted for The French Goodbye, Hot Mayonnaise, and Chris Rossi.

Turns out The Particularly Literal and I did 2 variations of the same 'joke'.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby Mason on Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:07 am

Voted for Chris Rossi, Bear and Bird, and 154. I am a sucker for your whole thing, 154.
Marsupialized wrote:'It's very important for men in bands together to French kiss, every day, even if they don't feel like it'
Mason
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby b1l-paraquat on Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:10 pm

Thanks for the feel-good, folks, "Take a Chance on Me" is one of my favorite old covers.
Honestly, there was just too much to like about this month (as with every month); ultimately
I went with 154, Technical Commentaries, and etch. Both versions of Does your Mother Know really had me rocking.

Side note: I'm pretty proud of the work I did this month for Abbatage. Even though the end result is maddening, you'll find that you can sing "Dancing Queen" perfectly over the the top of it if you have a good muscle memory for the timing of the original song. Every sound in that piece is sourced from 100 mSec to 1.5 sec slices from all of the songs on Black S[Abba]th's Sabotage album.
There's absolutely no way I could ever have done that manually, I had to get off of my ass and chew through some long nights writing a program that could do the heavy-lifting-editing for me. Strange though the results may be, having finally written that program is a personal first and pretty goddamned exciting for me.

Cheers, everyone, you're all winners in my book.
l_o_c wrote:I couldn't find any quotes on Sun Ra's political affiliation, beyond the need for there to be a Black House, and that the White House should be sent to the moon. I'm unaware if these are current Republican issues.
b1l-paraquat
viscount
viscount

Postby numberthirty on Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:39 pm

154 wrote:I voted for The French Goodbye, Hot Mayonnaise, and Chris Rossi.

Turns out The Particularly Literal and I did 2 variations of the same 'joke'.

It's a pretty good joke. Even if my take was quite a bit more bonehead than yours.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Tommy on Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:09 pm

I voted: Isosceles Lock, 154, and Etch.

I probably should have just voted solely for Etch because it was a pretty big standout for me. Sounds like he's backed by Tubeway Army.

Surprised there was only one version of Tiger. Favorite ABBA song. They probably meant it at it's stupid face value, but it just sounds like a creepy stalker anthem. It would have been my choice to cover had I not been lazy (again).
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby numberthirty on Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:16 pm

Tommy wrote:Surprised there was only one version of Tiger. Favorite ABBA song. They probably meant it at it's stupid face value, but it just sounds like a creepy stalker anthem. It would have been my choice to cover had I not been lazy (again).

Credit where it's due, this was a banner month for "You are making me mildly uncomfortable..." backing vocals.
numberthirty

Postby Frank Tuesday on Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:32 pm

So I hadn't even heard Arrival until I was almost finished. I searched for 'ABBA sheet music' and picked the first one I hadn't heard of. I wrote down the sequence of notes (pitch only- didn't want to be too influenced by the original). Next I picked a drum loop that I liked. Then I started playing the notes on bass until I was happy with the rhythm. Of course I didn't like it in the major key, so I switched from D to Dm. Then I changed some more notes to be more to my liking.

Recorded the first verse and chorus: bass, Rhodes, bells and reamped the drums through a Sans Amp. At this point I was committed to my bit, so I listened to to the original. Fuck, it's terrible - like a bad church hymn. Decided to keep their arrangement: repeat ad nauseum. And that's how Mr Tyzik does it. Honestly, had I listened to it first, I think it would have ruined me, and I never would have come up with what I did.
Brian (aka Frank)
Math Patrol
Frank Tuesday
busher
busher

Postby numberthirty on Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:51 pm

The Isosceles Lock/"Does Your Mother Know": I take it this was Mason? That harmonic sounding part and the lead break were choice. Tambourine is always a good thing.

Carl/"The Way Old Friends Do": Tricks and treats. This is what I'm talking about.

154/"A B B A": This tune really got stuck in my head a couple of times. Keeper. That break a the end was all :smt026

Fake Swede/"Money Money Money": Again, this one got stuck in my head a couple of times. That high vocal during the chorus was nice work. Again, that guitar break at the end was a winner.

Major/"Lay Your Love All Over Me": There was quite a bit of ear candy here. I liked the way that the vocal deliver did the lyrics justice. This was an example of those backing vocals I mentioned.

The French Goodby/"Gimme Gimme Gimme": Really great take on that line from the intro. Ditto on the backing vocals I mentioned.

Technical Commentaries/"SOS": I love this tune, and I love this version. The guitar line in the second verse caught my ear.

Abbatage/"Yonder..." This was like Halloween came early. So perfect.

Hot Mayonaise/"SOS": Again, love this tune and this version. That guitar sound at the kick off is quality.

Pure L/"Dancing Queeng": Certainly got my attention. Brilliant change up at the end.

Mr. Tyzik/"Arrival": Toes were tapped. This really sounded great.

Chris Rossi/"Fernando": Dang. If all this tune had was the intro, it would be massive. Once this got busy, I could barely believe it. That section is perfect. Also, Mellotron forever.

Bear And The Bird/"Knowing Me, Knowing You": Really great approach to the tune in question. Really suits it. That keyboard part is incredible.

The Bashful Vigilantes/"Super Trouper": Such a jam. This one really hit my "Sentimental" button.

The Five Mod Four/"Ring Ring": This was great. It's like "Five Mod" wall of sound.

Between Two Fernandos/"Tiger": So great. This tune really deserved this sort of brilliance. Choice growl.

Room 302/"Does Your Mother Know": Another really solid version of this tune. Again, more of the sort of background vocals I mentioned. The lead at the end was a keeper.

Etch/"The Visitor's Club(Crackin' Up)": Man, this was awesome. Total dance party potential.

The Particularly Literal/"A/B/B/A": Ho Hum. The band's name suggesting a motif to be repeated left me free to go for "Halloween". The usual M-Tron. Nothing all that fancy other than that.

Paraquat/"Take A Chance On Me": Another toe tapper. This certainly sounds interesting.

Tough to narrow down(as always). Wound up going with...

- Technical Commentaries/"SOS"
- The Bashful Vigilantes/"Super Trouper"
- Fake Swede/"Money Money Money"
numberthirty

Postby hench on Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:12 pm

we had some crummy best-of compilation cassette when i was a little squirt - lots of long car drives listening to these days. i didn't recall the lyrics being so trash, but dang!

the isosceles lock - does your mother know: great bay city raspberries power-bubblegum feel, especially with the tambourine and the smooth harmonies.

carl - the way old friends do: set me free, why dont'cha babe, cause this kept me...

154 - a b b a: real glad that not liking the 70s doesn't equate to not liking killer hooks

fake swede - money money money: welcome! especially into the doubled string bend between bass and guitar. also, good on you for keeping the gear shift at the end.

major - lay all your love on me: this is how it's gonna be when they feed max martin to the neural net for deep machine learning...

the french goodbye - gimme gimme gimme: this is both dreamy and dreamlike. not sure what the chuck wagon rustled up to make those cowboys so spaced.

technical commentaries - sos: oh, i really like taking out the beat before "when you're gone etc..." had to listen to this a couple of times in a row to get a handle on how the pre-verse and verse beats were shifted.

abbatage - yonder etc: i think i'm hearing the chord changes for "dancing queen" -- did the program take pitch into consideration, or is this just musician brain hearing patterns after being told that the timing will work? anybody who writes a dang program for this thing gets a vote, that's for dang sure!

hot mayonnaise - sos: the pre-chorus hits really well and goes into way rockier territory than i expected from the verse. nice "pump it up" on the chorus too...

pure l - dancin queeng: heavy, man.... heavy. that queen has some killer low-mids...

mr tyzik - arrival: what are you using for that grimy bass? is that pure synth or bass guitar heavily skronked?

chris rossi - fernando: holy crap, this is a '70s variety show come to life. tony orlando and yes on the same stage for one night only. love it!

bear and bird - knowing me, knowing you: this was a joint effort between me and tmbgitw. freaked me out to do a sad breakup song, but too many of you had already done awesome versions of "sos." wanted to do something a little less intensive than the bazillion tracks on last month's fuggin dan tribute. recorded the acoustic and resonator the day after getting them set up so they'll probably never sound that good again...

the bashful vigilantes - super trouper: welcome! synths and sludge, two of my favorite tastes, together at last. wonderfully grotty.

the five mod four- ring ring: that big reverb ties everything together. something about this really hits the feeing of waiting for that someone to call way back in the decades before call waiting, visual voicemail, etc.

between two fernandos - tiger: excellent rendition of a supremely goofball track. agree with #30 that the growl is aces.

room 302 - does your mother know: check out that whammy bar at :20! this was my favorite track on the aforementioned long car trips, and my young ears heard the original as way more rockin' than it actually is. more like... this!

etch - the visitors (crackin' up): slow build into some awesome gary numan territory. this was the other one i was considering and i'm glad i didn't - my kick drum wouldn't have hit nearly this well.

the particularly literal - a/b/b/a: i finally broke down and picked up the m-tron on your repeated recommendations. what a beast! it's been a struggle to not reach for it for everything...
hench

Postby numberthirty on Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:28 pm

hench wrote:the particularly literal - a/b/b/a: i finally broke down and picked up the m-tron on your repeated recommendations. what a beast! it's been a struggle to not reach for it for everything...

Dang, peer pressure...

It is pretty over the top. Just setting aside sounds that I love but I don't want to torture anyone else with is a whole thing.
numberthirty

Postby Frank Tuesday on Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:09 pm

hench wrote:
mr tyzik - arrival: what are you using for that grimy bass? is that pure synth or bass guitar heavily skronked?

Just bass guitar. It's an EBO copy with flatwound strings and the tone control rolled down about 30%. Very little treble in the signal. I played everything on the D and G string, double stopped a perfect 4th apart. Through a SansAmp Bass Driver into the interface. I love the P4 interval because it isn't dissonant, but it isn't nearly as resonant at a P5 or octave.
Brian (aka Frank)
Math Patrol
Frank Tuesday
busher
busher

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion