home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Regional slang that you like

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Regional slang that you like

Postby Dave N. on Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:55 pm

Deeeee-cue!!! That’s what I luv about Tek-suuuusss!!!!
Dave N.
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby jbar on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:35 pm

The DQ in my town in Colorado is just an ice cream drive through. No steak fingers for me.
jbar
sweetbreads
sweetbreads

Postby first2letters on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:18 am

The DQs in Texas don’t have chocolate soft serve, which struck me as weird when I moved here from Pittsburgh. Back up north it was routine to order a “twist cone with rainbow jimmies.”
first2letters
satan
satan

Postby Major on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:43 am

first2letters wrote:The DQs in Texas don’t have chocolate soft serve, which struck me as weird when I moved here from Pittsburgh. Back up north it was routine to order a “twist cone with rainbow jimmies.”

Oh my god I can hear that order in a thick Pittsburgh accent and it's killing me. Are "rainbow jimmies" sprinkles or multi-colored french fries?
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Dave N. on Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:39 am

Better mind your business when you’re out in the yard. Don’t want Rainbow Jimmy giving you the shiv.
Dave N.

Postby chrisc on Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:19 pm

Ex-Denton-TX here. I've had the phrase "shit fire and save the matches" stuck in my head lately.

I don't believe I've heard "hotter'n a two puckered billy goat" elsewhere but I don't get out much.

The ten-ish that used to share a practice space call getting drunk "ripplecocked." I think that's just a that room thing. I like it.

If you're from Texas and haven't seen any of the Tuna, TX-es do it. It's 60-ish minutes of this stuff.
chrisc
red hodges
red hodges

Postby Evin Relocation on Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:48 am

Just heard "how that mouth do?", meaning asking somebody about their oral sex proficiency.

Can't tell if I'm amused or vaguely disgusted.
Evin Relocation
forced to change shirt
forced to change shirt

Postby first2letters on Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:23 am

Major wrote:
first2letters wrote:The DQs in Texas don’t have chocolate soft serve, which struck me as weird when I moved here from Pittsburgh. Back up north it was routine to order a “twist cone with rainbow jimmies.”

Oh my god I can hear that order in a thick Pittsburgh accent and it's killing me. Are "rainbow jimmies" sprinkles or multi-colored french fries?

Jimmies? 'Em are sprinkles, of course. Deaunt be a jagoff!

Anyways, I'm gahn dahn Primanti's after dis. Yinz want anything?
first2letters
satan
satan

Postby jbar on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:32 pm

"I'd drink your bathwater"
jbar
sweetbreads
sweetbreads

Postby Seby on Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:31 pm

From Sydney:

Hearn - A hearn is like an Australian jock. As in "No don't go down there, there are a bunch of hearns and they are drunk", or "He's a bit of a hearn but a nice guy". Although there is some crossover, a hearn is not be confused with a....

Westie - This used to mean something like Hesher, but now means anyone living in the western suburbs of Sydney.

Ace TV! - An extremely positive affirmation, as in "Awesome!", or "Yay I cannot wait to do this!" etc.

Pike - A verb, meaning to not do something because one simply cannot be bothered. As in "I meant to see your band last weekend but I piked", which means that I did not see your band because I was feeling to lazy at the time. Basically it is a term used to confess that one lacked the sufficient motivation for doing something. This one does not travel well, when friends in England asked me if I was going to a house party and I told then that "I was piking", they thought that I was going fishing. A great t-shirt was going around a while back, instead of "Nike - Just Do It", "Pike - Just Do Nothing".

Everything gets shortened. "Opening the pressies after some schooeys around the the barbie with the rellies on chrissy arvo", etc.
Seby
second class
second class

Postby natesalon on Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:11 pm

Cornhole. That's what everyone in Ohio calls that crappy tailgate game where you toss bean bags at an opponent's slightly slanted board with a hole in it. Now that I've left home, I get only dirty looks and confused stares when I proposition someone for a round of cornhole. I guess people outside of Ohio just call it "bean bags." Pretty boring-ass name, if you ask me.
natesalon
convert
convert

Postby Nate Dort on Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:32 am

natesalon wrote:Cornhole. That's what everyone in Ohio calls that crappy tailgate game where you toss bean bags at an opponent's slightly slanted board with a hole in it. Now that I've left home, I get only dirty looks and confused stares when I proposition someone for a round of cornhole. I guess people outside of Ohio just call it "bean bags." Pretty boring-ass name, if you ask me.

It's been called cornhole everywhere I've lived in the last 10 years, including Tennessee, Montana, Colorado, and Michigan.
Nate Dort
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby brephophagist on Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:27 pm

Nate Dort wrote:
natesalon wrote:Cornhole. That's what everyone in Ohio calls that crappy tailgate game where you toss bean bags at an opponent's slightly slanted board with a hole in it. Now that I've left home, I get only dirty looks and confused stares when I proposition someone for a round of cornhole. I guess people outside of Ohio just call it "bean bags." Pretty boring-ass name, if you ask me.

It's been called cornhole everywhere I've lived in the last 10 years, including Tennessee, Montana, Colorado, and Michigan.

Yep, it's a thing.
brephophagist
cool kid
cool kid

Postby natesalon on Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:21 pm

brephophagist wrote:
Nate Dort wrote:

Yep, it's a thing.

Did a bit of Wikipedia detective work, you guys are right. Apparently, "bean bags" is, in this case, the regional slang. Seems to be a Chicago-area thing. Feels good to know that others are out there cornholing alongside me. Why would Cook County want to do away with such a great game name?
natesalon
convert
convert

Postby RSMurphy on Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:24 pm

Woo Woo Woo - And so on and so forth; yadda yadda yadda; blah blah blah...

I love this. Today I heard two dudes have a conversation peppered with "woo woo woos" and it was killing me. "I was talkin' to this girl you know woo woo woo and she was talkin about going to a hookah bar and I ain't never been to one woo woo woo and she was fine as hell woo woo woo..." swear to fucking God it was like that for minutes. Cracked my shit up.
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby yard barf on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:34 am

"Y'uns" is apparently the Pittsburgh version of "Y'all."

And they call their little chocolate cakes, "Gobs."
yard barf
took picture of naked guy
took picture of naked guy

Postby Facundo on Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:14 am

"chacho", similar to english "chooch" is the name a "chacho" gives to the other guy in the conversation. Substitute to kid, man, guy, dude, sir.

Chacho, incredible.
I live happier in this future by that miracle
Facundo
tired of birds
tired of birds

Postby Anthony Flack on Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:38 pm

New Zealand cross-reference:

Seby wrote:From Sydney:

Hearn - A hearn is like an Australian jock. - Nope, never heard this word down here

Westie - This used to mean something like Hesher, but now means anyone living in the western suburbs of Sydney. - The term is understood but in NZ the hesher is universally called a bogan.

Ace TV! - An extremely positive affirmation, as in "Awesome!", or "Yay I cannot wait to do this!" etc. sounds like a semi-ironic local thing.

Pike - A verb, meaning to not do something because one simply cannot be bothered. - Yes, this word is commonly used in NZ also

Everything gets shortened. "Opening the pressies after some schooeys around the the barbie with the rellies on chrissy arvo", etc. - yes to all that except the schooeys
Anthony Flack
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby jimmy two hands on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:01 am

Nate Dort wrote:Party Store

No, not a place to buy balloons or streamers or birthday candles, but the Pure Michigan® name for a package liquor/cigarettes/convenience store.

I thought this was universal until I moved to Chicago and found a party store that sold balloons and paper hats and shit.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby small talk on Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:00 am

Seby wrote:From Sydney:

Hearn - A hearn is like an Australian jock. As in "No don't go down there, there are a bunch of hearns and they are drunk", or "He's a bit of a hearn but a nice guy". Although there is some crossover, a hearn is not be confused with a....

Westie - This used to mean something like Hesher, but now means anyone living in the western suburbs of Sydney.

Ace TV! - An extremely positive affirmation, as in "Awesome!", or "Yay I cannot wait to do this!" etc.

Ha, so weird. I've lived here all my thirty years, worked a range of white- and blue-collar jobs, and have literally never encountered "hearn" or "Ace TV". Maybe my dad would know what a hearn is, I'll check.

Us westies have many words for Bondi-dwellers but few of them are unique to the region.
small talk
district attourney
district attourney

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion