home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

PRFBBQ 2018 Chicago

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: PRFBBQ 2018 Chicago

Postby Kate Rev on Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:29 pm

I have 3 ideas for south side diy venues to talk to. I don't want to just post them on here, but someone give me a holler if you're #notacop!
Kate Rev
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby jacobwilliam on Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:01 pm

Kate Rev wrote:I have 3 ideas for south side diy venues to talk to. I don't want to just post them on here, but someone give me a holler if you're #notacop!

Let me know and I’ll contact them. I’m in the process of feeling out a spot currently.
jacobwilliam
bobcat
bobcat

Postby Maurice on Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:30 pm

Maurice wrote:Proposing an opportunity of some kind for a bunch of drone-friendly PRF people to do an ad-hoc thing or two.

Major wrote: :smt006

Kate Rev wrote:I like this !

El Protoolio wrote:Totally down for another PRFAO one off performance.

Totally what I'd been hoping for!
music every week | here, too | and here | snwv | other stuff

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I ask you: What the fuck?
Maurice
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby newberry on Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:00 am

I'm moving soon and divesting myself of stuff. I have the complete (7 right?) PRF singles club set in near pristine condition. I could mail these to someone if they could be used in a raffle or something, let me know (got the idea from someone else on another thread).
newberry

Postby PEPPER! on Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:44 pm

the train is rolling, sausage is being made, etc. this is gonna be fun.
PEPPER!
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby cneutron on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:28 am

Alright, so each of the nights is being scheduled by a band, yes?
Does that means outside submissions are not being considered at all?

You must be asked, or be friends with somebody that curates a day to be considered?

If outside submissions are: do we need an e-mail address that forwards to the point person in each band? (I can do this from the prfbbq.com account)

I ask because i've been asked about it a couple of times and I realized I have no idea.
People that want to help out, people that want to play...

Honestly way more the latter.

Is there anything we are posting publically? Or is this the first "fences up, no outsiders" event of it's kind?

Since, we've always strived to be inclusive and grow the thing I think it would be worthwhile to post something up about it at some point. Even if the answer is largely: "keeping it in the family" this year.
"If you wanna make this DIY shit go, you gotta fucking step up." -Russell Emerson Hall
Conan Neutron & the Secret Friends = Music band: Neutron/Ash/Crover.
Protonic Reversal = Radio Show/Podcast
Radio NOPE = 24/7 Kickass tunes/talk
cneutron
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Postby flanneljammies on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:42 am

cneutron wrote:Alright, so each of the nights is being scheduled by a band, yes?

Been wondering this myself...
Russell Emerson Hall. Throat torturer. Guitar abuser.
Current: Twelves and Bell & Circuit.
Ex: Tyranny Is Tyranny and United Sons of Toil.
"Yeah, that pedal is way too comedic for you. You're not silly at all."
flanneljammies
vishnu
vishnu

Postby Pasta on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:20 am

cneutron wrote:Alright, so each of the nights is being scheduled by a band, yes?

You must be asked, or be friends with somebody that curates a day to be considered?

If outside submissions are: do we need an e-mail address that forwards to the point person in each band? (I can do this from the prfbbq.com account)

I ask because i've been asked about it a couple of times and I realized I have no idea.

Is there anything we are posting publically? Or is this the first "fences up, no outsiders" event of it's kind?

Since, we've always strived to be inclusive and grow the thing I think it would be worthwhile to post something up about it at some point. Even if the answer is largely: "keeping it in the family" this year.

Conan raises some good points. FM Jacob William and I are prepared to do much of the cooking. Leah and I will be scheduling job interviews for this trip, to facilitate our move. so flexibility is a must. Already planning on some pickles, and a soup/chili thing.
Ninety Five Cents? FUCK YOU!!! I'LL SKATE TO THE BEACH.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

Postby Ike on Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:01 pm

The folks that were asked to pick bands/curate a day weren't given instructions, so if anyone is interested, let us know.

I'm sure each band/person has a particular bent they want to see for their day, but obv new blood is always welcome. We're trying to create a day that has fewer bands, newer bands, and bands that won't necessarily be out to blow the fillings out of everyone's mouths. These are common complaints again and again, and we're trying to listen to our buddies.

Waiting on a few "gets" for the day we're helping out with. Fingers crossed.

BUT, by all means, tell anyone who is interested in playing on Sunday to send me a note via FB and we'll talk with them.
Ike
the white ho
the white ho

Postby flanneljammies on Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:09 pm

Ike wrote: out to blow the fillings out of everyone's mouths

I'm OK with that. My dental work is pretty solid.
Russell Emerson Hall. Throat torturer. Guitar abuser.
Current: Twelves and Bell & Circuit.
Ex: Tyranny Is Tyranny and United Sons of Toil.
"Yeah, that pedal is way too comedic for you. You're not silly at all."
flanneljammies
vishnu
vishnu

Postby lumpenprole on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:44 pm

My life goal for this year is to make this fucking thing for the first time. Thus this low-to-zero information post will serve to keep this thread in the front of my mind.

Thank you.
Proud member of Steel Tigers Of Death Local 382.
lumpenprole
andy warhol
andy warhol

Postby jacobwilliam on Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:54 am

Are the dates for this pretty much locked down? I want to request off for this super far in advance.
jacobwilliam
bobcat
bobcat

Postby rappard on Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:21 am

jacobwilliam wrote:Are the dates for this pretty much locked down? I want to request off for this super far in advance.

+1. Plus I need to look into (cheap) plane tickets.
Robert Bork wrote:[S]ome of the worst rappers are white, like Nine Inch Nails.
rappard
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby motorbike guy on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:54 am

Ike wrote:out to blow the fillings out of everyone's mouths.

that's not a bad thing, in my opinion.
Robert Ohlmstead wrote:Our warlike impulses and warlike pride are dangerously coupled with our insufferable vanity, our permanent immaturity, our lives of fear and pleasure.
motorbike guy

Postby amplituden on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:37 am

Hi there

Are there venues confirmed? I am just wondering what neighbourhood this will be in to find accommodation.

Cheers.
Maybe a little less yelling and a little more hugging.
amplituden
linus torvalds
linus torvalds

Postby PEPPER! on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:33 am

it's up to the people doing each night.

me & Julia are probably going to hand pick everything because it's a short night and we can only fit like 6 bands before it stops being fun. we had a bunch of life shit come up immediately after saying hey let's do a BBQ, so we have only talked to a few people and have zero bands confirmed. a few bands have asked us, which of course we'll consider.

I think one of the other days is pretty booked up, and don't know about the other two at all.
cneutron wrote:If outside submissions are: do we need an e-mail address that forwards to the point person in each band? (I can do this from the prfbbq.com account)

I don't want to do a public call for bands for Friday because we are still talking to a couple of people.

as far as people who want to help out it would be good to get crews together for each night. in past years we've scheduled a couple of times that people get together at a restaurant or somebody's house to figure that out. still plenty of time to do that.
cneutron wrote:Is there anything we are posting publically? Or is this the first "fences up, no outsiders" event of it's kind?

I don't have a good answer to that. I figure people will post schedules here and on FB when they are confirmed but publicizing the events has never gone beyond that. whatever other people do I would like to request that nobody posts the Friday IBW thing to the Chicago Reader or any other music events listing.
jacobwilliam wrote:Are the dates for this pretty much locked down? I want to request off for this super far in advance.

yes they are! Thursday June 21 through Sunday June 24
amplituden wrote:Hi there

Are there venues confirmed? I am just wondering what neighbourhood this will be in to find accommodation.

Cheers.

Scott was working with a Sat-Sun venue. I think it's in the bag (it looks awesome btw) but he will have to chime in on that. it's roughly at Pulaski & Diversey, a bit west of Logan Square. Friday is in the West Loop and easily accessible by the Blue Line.
PEPPER!
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby johnhastie on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:50 pm

Hey All... Sorry to have been so silent in this milieu for so long. Nonagon was asked to "curate" one of the days and we have been approaching some folks here and there (concentrating on those who might be hard "gets" or might need to travel a long way). We are pretty psyched about the folks who have said "yes" or "probably" so far.

I want to apologize in advance for not being able to ask or consider everybody who full-on deserves to play this thing. There's just no way that we are going to get out of this without pissing off good friends. I'm guessing this is a situation previous organizers are familiar with and we now fully feel their pain.

If it would help any of those folks to know: Nonagon will not be playing. Too many awesome bands deserve that slot (and we've played more than our share). We are trying to focus on diversity (of people and sound), folks who have been out of the loop for a minute, and a good balance of fresh faces with crowd pleasers.

There are obviously a very finite number of slots for a community this big, and things could fill up quickly. That said, we've been watching the FB pages for suggestions and are open to hearing from folks who might want to be considered. If "our" day gets filled we can certainly put the names in front of other curators. Might best to FB Message or email me (jhastie@penguinrandomhouse.com). I don't check my inbox here very often.

This is going to be / has been an imperfect system. When all is said and done, please don't stay mad for long if you can help it. No matter what happens, this is going to be a hell of a party.

xoxo
I play guitar in this band ----> http://nonagonchicago.bandcamp.com/

"Dude, haters are a sure sign that you're getting it right." --numberthirty
johnhastie
puggy pearson
puggy pearson

Postby lumpenprole on Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:02 pm

johnhastie wrote:Hey All... Sorry to have been so silent in this milieu for so long. Nonagon was asked to "curate" one of the days and we have been approaching some folks here and there (concentrating on those who might be hard "gets" or might need to travel a long way). We are pretty psyched about the folks who have said "yes" or "probably" so far.

I want to apologize in advance for not being able to ask or consider everybody who full-on deserves to play this thing. There's just no way that we are going to get out of this without pissing off good friends. I'm guessing this is a situation previous organizers are familiar with and we now fully feel their pain.

If it would help any of those folks to know: Nonagon will not be playing. Too many awesome bands deserve that slot (and we've played more than our share). We are trying to focus on diversity (of people and sound), folks who have been out of the loop for a minute, and a good balance of fresh faces with crowd pleasers.

There are obviously a very finite number of slots for a community this big, and things could fill up quickly. That said, we've been watching the FB pages for suggestions and are open to hearing from folks who might want to be considered. If "our" day gets filled we can certainly put the names in front of other curators. Might best to FB Message or email me (jhastie@penguinrandomhouse.com). I don't check my inbox here very often.

This is going to be / has been an imperfect system. When all is said and done, please don't stay mad for long if you can help it. No matter what happens, this is going to be a hell of a party.

xoxo

I feel your pain, and appreciate your honesty. You can pay me back by coming to Seattle and playing a show with my band.
Proud member of Steel Tigers Of Death Local 382.
lumpenprole
andy warhol
andy warhol

Postby jimmy two hands on Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:00 pm

PEPPER! wrote:Scott was working with a Sat-Sun venue. I think it's in the bag (it looks awesome btw) but he will have to chime in on that. it's roughly at Pulaski & Diversey, a bit west of Logan Square. Friday is in the West Loop and easily accessible by the Blue Line.

For those of youse who have attended previous BBQs, this Sat-Sun space is just a bit south of Live Wire. Logan Square/Avondale/Irving Park is a good area to look for accommodations (assuming this is set).
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Pasta on Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:10 am

Today I will be pming FM Jacob William a pickle recipe. Yes, home made garlic dill pickles for this thing. We're gonna need 2 or 3 sanitized 5 gallon buckets, 22#'s of gherkins. Any assistance with the buckets would be appreciated.

This trip will incorporate Leah and I beginning our job and housing search in Chitown.
Ninety Five Cents? FUCK YOU!!! I'LL SKATE TO THE BEACH.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion