home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Shots Fired! Visconti vs Albini

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Shots Fired! Visconti vs Albini

Postby 24K on Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:53 am

"The American producer and musician Steve Albini has repeatedly said over the years that he prefers to call himself a recording engineer. “When I think of a producer, I think of one of those industry losers with a beard and a ponytail sitting in a chair telling the band what to do,” Albini once said.

“Well, I know people who have worked with Steve Albini and he is the biggest control freak I’ve ever heard of,” Visconti responds. “He says one thing and he does another. His whole philosophy is based on working with groups, so sure, he’ll let them play and he records them, but I’ve heard from people in Nirvana and Foo Fighters who said he constantly told them what to do. I would dismiss anything Steve Albini says and I’d challenge him face to face on that any time, anywhere.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/musi ... -1.3332539
mayor
mayor

Re: Shots Fired! Visconti vs Albini

Postby jimmy two hands on Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:10 am

24K wrote:I’ve heard from people in Nirvana and Foo Fighters who said he constantly told them what to do.

Well, you know you can't trust a single word that FM Dave Grohl says.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby emmanuelle cunt on Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:18 am

jimmy two hands wrote:
24K wrote:I’ve heard from people in Nirvana and Foo Fighters who said he constantly told them what to do.

Well, you know you can't trust a single word that FM Dave Grohl says.

Especially about AIDS
caix wrote:^ more like "a manual vagina."
emmanuelle cunt
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby tbone on Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:20 am

More like, Dishconti, amirite? Rowr!
I play guitar in Mayor For Life and Jackhammer Hearts
tbone
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby Janeway on Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:29 am

okay not cool, some of us come from neighborhoods worried that omg wtf did Steve Albini just get shot? I’ve grown up with too many music idols getting taken out, i don’t need these onion headline scare tactics to lure me to this thread.

worst April fools ever you guys

oh so whatever little argument is getting drawn here is lame, the guy has the ear he will voice his opinion and whoever is on the receiving end will describe it as fitting or pompous or genius or controlling t hey ren just their lil bish opinions

Mozart was mozart, he made the music he did and had the musical ear he had, when you’re fine tuned in a certain way there just a reaction of disgust for things that aren’t on your level, but you gotta respect the folks that can hear the dog whistle pitches that we cant

if someone can perceive an annoyance in the pitch of a dog whistle you don’t complain about how they said constantly what you need to do to not squeak like such an asshole, or however music critiques go. Stop focusing on the omg whatbdid he say and instead use the advice to better your talent, that kinda advice was gold in the past. someone telling you how to make your sound better, for free? that you idolize?

nerds are spoiled
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby 154 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:43 am

Visconti's been a catty little shit in recent years. He implied that Adele was a victim of autotune or something and she told him to go fuck himself (good).

but I’ve heard from people in Nirvana and Foo Fighters who said he constantly told them what to do.

So.. Dave Grohl then? Funny, as I recall the scene in the Rye Coalition documentary where he's sitting around persuading the band to record to a click track, only to make a record that was universally hated.
Last edited by 154 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby jimmy two hands on Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:49 am

He was supposed to say the FM steve doesn't do anything except read magazines or play scrabble on his phone, occasionally stopping to turn a knob or tweak a slider a little bit.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Janeway on Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:54 am

he scared me
Janeway

Postby 24K on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:03 am

Janeway wrote:he scared me

Sorry about that. 'shot's fired' has become an internet euphemism for when someone calls someone else out, i.e. fighting talk.

The idea of Tony Visconti suddenly turning up at Electrical with an AR-15 is darkly funny though (sorry!)
mayor
mayor

Postby Facundo on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:07 am

I think this Grohl history on the pitchfork hyperlink above fits on the context of this answer, and it says a lot about the emotional age of some people considered idolic by some kind of human mass. I'm thinking in start considering the thread "Indie Music & Secret Sado-Masochistic Sex Ring" as possible. Maybe the title "The Indie Sado-Masochistic shadow of Mainstream Idols" would generate more interest in yellow journalists.

https://pitchfork.com/news/63625-david- ... ese-times/

Facundo
tenderfoot
tenderfoot

Postby 24K on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:12 am

Janeway wrote:oh so whatever little argument is getting drawn here is lame, the guy has the ear he will voice his opinion and whoever is on the receiving end will describe it as fitting or pompous or genius or controlling t hey ren just their lil bish opinions

It's a journalistic technique, he baited him by bruising his ego i.e. X said 'producers are worthless' & Visconti took the bait & gave the journalist some gold (extra clicks to the article). He seems a bit thin skinned alright.
mayor
mayor

Postby Facundo on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:17 am

24K wrote:
Janeway wrote:he scared me

Sorry about that. 'shot's fired' has become an internet euphemism for when someone calls someone else out, i.e. fighting talk.

The idea of Tony Visconti suddenly turning up at Electrical with an AR-15 is darkly funny though (sorry!)

Yea, story sounds like a big artificial legend with too much emphasis. It can be improved:

"Lizard Jesus told me two fake Italian artisans of the thunder will have to fight in a field of silver faders, at the end of the times. Flangers and phasers against the tape of the irons. Those entered in the grave will come out to greet".

:D
Facundo
tenderfoot
tenderfoot

Postby Janeway on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:26 am

you guys this whole

actually, i dont know what this thread is

i'm just gonna take this post opportunity to remembr the man im in love with even still after all these years, you can look back on a dream and at least know that something that was lived up to everything it always felt like and kept you goin :smt007

phpBB [media]

salut! :smt030
Janeway

Postby gnangle on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:38 am

so having worked with noted anti-producer ,and bruiser of industry shitbags ,steve albini ,i can attest to the following:

he is a control freak. if he was not a control freak then he would be making mediocre products that no one would probably pay much attention to. but, since he insists on adhering to his process no matter who is in the room ,he produces consistently amazing products.

he is not a producer by any stretch whatsoever. even when asked repeatedly to weigh in on a topic concerning the direction or aesthetic of a recording he will refuse to answer.

he likes the ponytail slight, as it raises the ire of industry dickwads almost immediately!
gnangle
"kick a ginger day" victim
"kick a ginger day" victim

Postby El Protoolio on Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:10 am

I’ve met Tony Visconti and his English accent is fake.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby steve on Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:02 pm

Whatever. He made a record once, he's entitled to his opinion.
steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electricalaudio dot com
Quicumque quattuor feles possidet insanus est.
steve
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby mattw on Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:20 pm

I seem to remember that tJL parted ways with him after Down because they wanted to have more control in the studio.
mattw

Postby Adam Sr on Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:25 pm

Visconti probably said this before he knew Steve was growing his totalitarian haircut out.
Adam Sr
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom
Best leader Who Realized Human Wisdom

Postby mrcancelled on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:13 pm

Any time, anywhere!

This guy means business. Personally I'd challenge him some place in public, on the playground after school maybe, that way we'll all just be there after the bell rings.
mrcancelled
avery fisher
avery fisher

Postby Trey on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:14 pm

Control freak indeed. Still reeling from PTSD after being told 'You played it a little faster that time.' We told him we were happy with the take. He goes, "Okay." JESUS CHRIST FUCK ME THE CONTROL IS TOO MUCH.
I'm like, whatever, it's fucking Houlihan

http://www.thegary.com
Trey
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Next

Return to General Discussion