home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Emergency preparedness

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Emergency preparedness

Postby bumble on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:17 pm

I see the value in emergency preparedness. Of course, right? I have even constructed a "72 hour" bag for my family.

In the researching of emergency preparedness, one encounters...extremely fucking crazy people. JESUS.

Am I the only one who has done this?

No YOU ended up making out with your emergency preparedness professor. My plan for mass cadaver management must have been something.
bumble
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Re: Emergency preparedness

Postby Boombats on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:47 pm

Whadda ya wanna know? High-caloric content food bars are good to have in plentiful supply. Flare gun is cool, but real gun is cooler. Lightweight axe or machete is a necessite. Have a well-hidden stockpile of any narcotics (legal or otherwise) you can get your hands on. This will be crucial for impromptu amputations and other injury pain management, not to mention as a highly valuable form of currency. Let's see, what else... cargo pants, definitely. Pocket knife, well-sharpened, absolutely, with a boot or neck knife as backup. Dudes are just waiting for anarchy so they can start Rapemageddon, so be prepared to cut some dicks. Oh and have a fresh supply of potssium iodide and a water purification device of some sort. I recommend Birkey filters. Brita ain't shita.
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby Big John on Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:37 pm

I agree with Boombats I would add some currency and gold for bartering.

I believe this is the model I have but I don't see the power bow.

Big John

Postby Janeway on Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:59 pm

i almost bought a gluten free underground bunker pack of food a few years back cause you know...

but then i was like wtf ever that lame, ill just hunt or deal with whatever, buy my own bag of nips to get me through the apocalypse.

im down for whatever 8)

phpBB [media]
Kayte wrote: i'm like, pour me a fucking synthohol bish.
Janeway
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby curry pervert on Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:55 am

bumble wrote:In the researching of emergency preparedness, one encounters...extremely fucking crazy people. JESUS.

Haha, no shit. Louis Theroux has done a couple of shows on this stuff.
caix wrote:Whoever said they started missing Clocker Bob after reading your dribble, I didn't get it at first. Now I totally get it. I am really missing Bob right now.
curry pervert
bill bradley
bill bradley

Postby 154 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:02 am

Those Lifestraws are cool to have regardless. You can just stick it in a stream and sip away, good for camping/hiking.

I ended up staying at a 'survival school' overnight a year ago and talked to the couple (Him an ex-military dude and her an ex-academic. Basically, about as 'normal' of people as you could hope for in that scenario). He recommended you think in terms of weeks, not days (as FEMA recommends) when it comes to supplies. After seeing the disaster in Puerto Rico play out, I believe it.

But yes, the 'preppers' you see on tv seem like Walking Dead-aspiring assholes. One would hope in that scenario that people would not only take care of themselves, but look after their neighbors and community as well. Or just get a bunch of machine guns and live in an underground can, whatever.
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby kokorodoko on Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:19 am

I've been enjoying survival guides like this one for some time. If your storage depletes or if street gangs are taking over, you can always escape into the forest.

Janeway wrote:those cat-food-for-lunch-deserving motherfuckers 8)
kokorodoko
deep blue
deep blue

Postby El Protoolio on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:26 am

When I was younger and weed was more difficult to get I always kept a shake bag from the little bits at the end of each bag for those times when I couldn’t score. Learned that from a stoner ex girlfriend when I was in college.

Now that’s some smart fucking emergency preparedness right there.
El Protoolio
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby kokorodoko on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:28 pm

El Protoolio wrote:When I was younger and weed was more difficult to get I always kept a shake bag from the little bits at the end of each bag for those times when I couldn’t score. Learned that from a stoner ex girlfriend when I was in college.

Now that’s some smart fucking emergency preparedness right there.

Reminds me of a part in Naked Lunch where he recounts how to prepare for situations where you can't use by saving a few drops from each shot dried in your pocket. I won't spoil the whole episode, but it's gruesome.
Janeway wrote:those cat-food-for-lunch-deserving motherfuckers 8)
kokorodoko
deep blue
deep blue

Postby ldopa_chicago on Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:05 pm

My old landlord was a little nuts (mostly in a good way). He would sometimes talk about how when the shit went down, the safest place to be would be on a sailboat. I asked him if he had a boat currently (I knew had had boats in the past) and he said, "No, but I got guns. You got a sailboat, I got a gun, now I have a sailboat." Hard to argue with that.
jimmy two hands wrote:Jam econo for fuck's sake.

I play guitar and act tougher than I am in Fake Limbs.
I played bass in Burn Permits.
ldopa_chicago
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby jimmy two hands on Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:24 pm

A nice collection of large, clean, sturdy plastic buckets for collecting rainwater. Beer brewing buckets would be best, since they're food-grade and have lids that seal up tightly so shit don't get into your drinking water. If shit is in the middle of collapsing, first thing you wanna do is fill those buckets up from the tap before the water pressure runs out. Also worth having a really good tightly fitting plug for the bathtub, and fill that with water as well, have a nice head start on things before you got to resort to drinking out of puddles and shit.
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby 154 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:31 pm

ldopa_chicago wrote:I asked him if he had a boat currently (I knew had had boats in the past) and he said, "No, but I got guns. You got a sailboat, I got a gun, now I have a sailboat." Hard to argue with that.

Except it's America and the chance that they don't have guns too seems improbable.

Postby ldopa_chicago on Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:39 pm

154 wrote:
ldopa_chicago wrote:I asked him if he had a boat currently (I knew had had boats in the past) and he said, "No, but I got guns. You got a sailboat, I got a gun, now I have a sailboat." Hard to argue with that.

Except it's America and the chance that they don't have guns too seems improbable.

The Venn diagram of gun ownership and, say, swamp boat ownership is a circle. The Venn diagram of guns and sailboats? Harder to say.

ldopa_chicago

Postby jimmy two hands on Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:30 pm

ldopa_chicago wrote:
154 wrote:

The Venn diagram of gun ownership and, say, swamp boat ownership is a circle. The Venn diagram of guns and sailboats? Harder to say.

Seems like having a gun on a sailboat is a practical decision, what with pirates and vikings luring around and everything
banjo.comics.pigfuck.stoner metal.rock operas.

AudioTruth wrote:Everything I buy from other brands break after a couple years, this is because they are only interested in making money. I'm only interested in long-lasting eargasms.
jimmy two hands
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby mrcancelled on Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:48 pm

My brother bought a rope ladder thing to escape out of his window if his house goes up in flames. I live on the third story of a building with no fire escape, so its crossed my mind to do the same. Peace of mind.

Other than that, I've got some klonopin. Also an antique Russian rifle that should still be functional. So if there's some kind of mass catastrophe or revolution and you see some lanky ass benzo'd out hairy guy stumbling around with a bayonet please point me in the right direction.
mrcancelled
avery fisher
avery fisher

Postby RSMurphy on Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:48 pm

bumble wrote:I see the value in emergency preparedness. Of course, right? I have even constructed a "72 hour" bag for my family.

I don't think a 72-hour-bag will be enough for what the Universe has in store for you, Bumblelina. The Big Crunch, The Big Rip, The Big Freeze, whatever they will call it when Earth gets knocked out of orbit and travels closer to the sun, or further out from it...the ultimate fate of the Universe laughs at your three-day supply of kitty treats and red meritage wines!
RSMurphy
Present-day God
Present-day God

Postby chris jury on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:47 pm

I have both been in major, infrastructure disrupting natural disasters, and worked for FEMA, responding to natural and man-made disasters. There is almost no circumstance where your material 'preparations' will be of much use. The real secret to surviving a disaster, either man-made (like a school shooting) or natural (say, a giant flood) is being flexible and thoughtful. I've seen the neighborhood 'preppers' melt down and 70 year old church secretaries stand tall.

Throw a couple granola bars and a case of water in your car...cause that is gonna be near you 99% of the time, be reasonably fit so you can walk a few miles if needs be. Except in case of civil unrest, don't carry a pistol. It will complicate life immeasurably.
No one is paying you to sit on that bed and cry.
chris jury
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby ldopa_chicago on Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:13 am

chris jury wrote:I have both been in major, infrastructure disrupting natural disasters, and worked for FEMA, responding to natural and man-made disasters. There is almost no circumstance where your material 'preparations' will be of much use. The real secret to surviving a disaster, either man-made (like a school shooting) or natural (say, a giant flood) is being flexible and thoughtful. I've seen the neighborhood 'preppers' melt down and 70 year old church secretaries stand tall.

Throw a couple granola bars and a case of water in your car...cause that is gonna be near you 99% of the time, be reasonably fit so you can walk a few miles if needs be. Except in case of civil unrest, don't carry a pistol. It will complicate life immeasurably.

I like this. I think "prepping" in general is really an emotional exercise in which one attempts to attain a sense of control over an uncertain future. It's a response to a sense of fear, isolation, powerlessness, and disenfranchisement. There is strong incentive to nuture those feelings:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/11/busi ... korea.html

Sorta related: Anybody see Take Shelter? Man, that's one of my favorite movies.

ldopa_chicago

Postby B_M_L on Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:18 am

In NZ it's more common to be prepared. There is a Government Department (Civil Defence) that does stuff to educate the public and provide practical advice. They have a information on what to have ready - it seems pretty practical and non-alarmist.

http://www.getthru.govt.nz/how-to-get-r ... val-items/

The likelihood of earthquakes is high so they teach this in school too - or they used to. I live in the UK now - I've never hear anyone mention anything like this. Most people keep a good stock of booze at all times though.
B_M_L

Postby chris jury on Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:49 pm

To be clear, I do keep a few supplies on hand. A flashlight, a couple jugs of water, spare propane cylinder, candles, radio. You don't go through that much search and rescue/recovery training and not do that. Also my wife and I grew up in rural settings that were prone to multi-day blizzards, so keeping extra stuff on hand is second nature.

Best piece of advice I can give is to always keep a pair of shoes next to your bed. Regardless of the nature of the emergency, you are going to need those. without them you are in serious trouble.
No one is paying you to sit on that bed and cry.
chris jury

Next

Return to General Discussion