home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

The Fearsome and Mindful MEDITATION Thread!

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

The Fearsome and Mindful MEDITATION Thread!

Postby Gramsci on Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:37 pm

Well... after 40 years on this planet I've finally developed a regular and serious mediation habit.

It's basically the "Dan Harris School" of secular buddhist mindfulness. I'll upscale to adding the horribly named Loving Kindness method sometime in the future.

Basically the past year was the most stressful of my life trying to juggle family, a serious job, a post-graduate diploma and freelance work on the side. I almost had a mental breakdown and instead of self medicating with booze as per normal I jumped on the Jew-Bu bandwagon and fuck me it really has been enjoyable.

So far I can feel myself being calmer, the (mostly) responding vs reacting externality is a nice feeling. I've all but stopped drinking alcohol. Not because I have anything resembling a problem but because beer = not being able to meditate and I meditate in the evening.

Does anyone else here have a mediation habit?
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Re: The Fearsome and Mindful MEDITATION Thread!

Postby Pasta on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:38 am

Yes. Will post more in depth after work.
Ninety Five Cents? FUCK YOU!!! I'LL SKATE TO THE BEACH.
Pasta
Fucking Survivor....Fuck Cancer

Postby Gramsci on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:54 am

Great. I had that tumbleweed feeling on this thread.
clocker bob may 30, 2006 wrote:I think the possibility of interbreeding between an earthly species and an extraterrestrial species is as believable as any other explanation for the existence of George W. Bush.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby B_M_L on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:56 am

Hi Gramsci - How did you get started? Book? App?

It's something I've been interested in off and on, but I have never seriously applied myself to learn.
B_M_L
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Cilantro on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:27 am

I was happy to discover a few years ago that many purported benefits of a regular meditation practice are real
Last edited by Cilantro on Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cilantro
mother superior
mother superior

Postby andteater on Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:38 am

i have practiced TM for about a month. absolutely love it. the typical twice a day, 20 minutes a day.
i have a lot more energy, find myself being a lot more productive and not feeling weighed down by random noise and negativity. still very new to me, but i like where it is headed.
andteater
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby Gramsci on Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:32 am

B_M_L wrote:Hi Gramsci - How did you get started? Book? App?

It's something I've been interested in off and on, but I have never seriously applied myself to learn.

Hey. I’d read books ages ago but Dan Harris’ 10% Happier is a good story about how a “normal” schumck can go full Red Pill. The app he’s started is really good. The teachers for the guided meditations are funny and come with zero whoo. It also tackles the MacMindfullness trend head on.

I’d start with the Audiobook of 10% Happier and go from there.

This is one of many “ins” it worked for me. I’ve developed a 30-60 min a day practice. In a year I’ll try and upscale to 2 hours (split) a day.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby Major on Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:57 am

I’ve read very little, but it is definitely something I’ve become interested in as of late. For a while I was going The Rothko Chapel on Sundays just to see how long I could sit there.

Laying off substances for at least a month, so maybe now is the time to go all in.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby Gramsci on Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:10 pm

Major wrote:I’ve read very little, but it is definitely something I’ve become interested in as of late. For a while I was going The Rothko Chapel on Sundays just to see how long I could sit there.

Laying off substances for at least a month, so maybe now is the time to go all in.

Christ, that space would be my dream spot. Lucky you.

While you’re sitting concentrate on the sensation of your breathe. Everytime your mind wanders off just start again. That’s it.

The big misconception is you have to “clear” your mind. That is nothing to do with mediation. The particular meditation I practice is that simple. Basically mental bicep curls for your brain.
Gramsci
World's Greatest Writer
World's Greatest Writer

Postby kokorodoko on Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:43 pm

One of the Noble Eightfold Paths (basically: of right practice, in various areas) is translated as mindfulness, or being mindful. There is nothing that specifically says "sit and meditate".

I have been doing the sitting thing in periods for a long time. I have done some of what we call practicing mindfulness, and what I'm doing is pretty much exactly the same thing, except in "wake mode". It is only now moreover that I feel I really understand what it means to meditate.

If you dislike flowery language, go with Zen. It's very skeletal and direct. Basically boiling down to: "Sit down. Shut up. Pay attention."
Janeway wrote:those cat-food-for-lunch-deserving motherfuckers 8)
kokorodoko
alexander alekhine
alexander alekhine

Postby Tommy on Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:52 pm

kokorodoko wrote:"Sit down. Shut up. Pay attention."

This is my methodology. I do it as often as I can, which is not often enough. I'd probably throw "get comfortable" in there somewhere. Especially if you're over 40 and sitting over 15 minutes on the floor.

I stayed in a Zen Buddhist community last year for a week. I totally recommend experiencing a week without power and without the noise of the outside world if you can do it.
Tommy
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby chrisc on Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:47 pm

andteater wrote:i have practiced TM for about a month. absolutely love it. the typical twice a day, 20 minutes a day.
i have a lot more energy, find myself being a lot more productive and not feeling weighed down by random noise and negativity. still very new to me, but i like where it is headed.

I did this too. My dumb ass googled how it works and ruined it a little. I have a real hard time sticking to it but it certainly works. The not eating before and putting your body in the right space really helped me.

The organization freaks out my shit a little. Have you done the checks/group meditations since learning?
chrisc
red hodges
red hodges

Postby Madman Munt on Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:57 pm

Gramsci wrote:While you’re sitting concentrate on the sensation of your breathe. Everytime your mind wanders off just start again. That’s it.

This, and concentrating on my pedal stroke, is mainly what I do when I'm cycling. Some kind of meditation* that keeps me fit and gets me places.

*Would not watch this Metallica Zen Retreat Documentary.
Madman Munt
amir vahedi
amir vahedi

Postby andteater on Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:59 pm

chrisc wrote:
andteater wrote:i have practiced TM for about a month. absolutely love it. the typical twice a day, 20 minutes a day.

I did this too. My dumb ass googled how it works and ruined it a little. I have a real hard time sticking to it but it certainly works. The not eating before and putting your body in the right space really helped me.

The organization freaks out my shit a little. Have you done the checks/group meditations since learning?

i'm curious what you mean about googling it and ruining it? what information did you find that upset the process?

the organization is a little weird, but i assumed that would be the case and will be the case with any group trying to sell an idea about their religion/practice.

i've done one checkup that was fine. the group meditations happen too early in the evening for me to make, but if i may start going to the ones that they have on weekends. i do enjoy the group setting. very quiet. very easy to relax.
andteater
man forced to eat beard
man forced to eat beard

Postby brephophagist on Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:27 pm

I tried the Headspace app for about 2 months and then fell off - got busy/stressed at work and stopped making time for it. Been thinking about giving it another go, though.

I like David Lynch a fair bit, so I've naturally been a little curious about TM, but everything about the messaging and organization creeps me out and reminds me of the worst parts of Catholic school.
brephophagist
cool kid
cool kid

Postby pointillist on Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:50 pm

I'm biased on this (I'm a board certified DBT therapist..), but I think it's super helpful. I teach mindfulness meditation as part of the DBT framework, where mindfulness is taught as a behavioral practice, rather than a spiritual one. Is worth checking out the Linehan skills book section on mindfulness/mindfulness meditation if you are interested.

My wife is pretty into the Dharma Punx meditation center (against the stream) publications as well, which I think are a super accessible way to get into mindfulness meditation work.
Leafminer: https://leafminer.bandcamp.com
Many Mansions https://themanymansions.bandcamp.com/
Solo http://www.pointillistmusic.com
pointillist
streetsweeper
streetsweeper

Postby Facundo on Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:58 pm

Having practiced Zen meditation since i was 14yo and other methods and disciplines that comprise mindfulness techniques but with their oriental name i have to say there were always two starting points for me:

1. Will. (Must prevail during all the tests that life submits to, until if it's being like a frozen seed in an endless winter).

2. Breath. (Ānāpānasati Sutta is the "mindfulness" of breathing, a basis to know the ventilation duct, from the skin of the nose to the blood. A starting point to other breathing exercises like modern Buteyko or Wim Hof methods and a good ancient and powerful form of breathing yoga in itself). There are good other breathing methods to start being "aware about the conciousness".

3. Discipline. (Zen is hard as good way because this.)

Many new era cults, healthy therapies feel well methods usually avoid discipline but the third and last (for now) step is the most important if you are climbing the stairs, after the podium there are more steps. Treat yourself like a powerful being and don't complain in yourself, the diseases does not kill us, it convinces us that we are dead.
Facundo
JACKPOT!
JACKPOT!

Postby chrisc on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:56 pm

andteater wrote:i'm curious what you mean about googling it and ruining it? what information did you find that upset the process?

the organization is a little weird, but i assumed that would be the case and will be the case with any group trying to sell an idea about their religion/practice.

i've done one checkup that was fine. the group meditations happen too early in the evening for me to make, but if i may start going to the ones that they have on weekends. i do enjoy the group setting. very quiet. very easy to relax.

You can fairly easily google the entirety of the teaching process. That included reading the mantra which was where the break happened. It turned it from a sound to a word and then some of the stuff I read put a little bit of stank on it.

It still works, just not as well. The only reason I'm not keeping up with it is finding the time. For me skipping one meditation quickly and easily turns into a month.

I totally agree with everything else you said.
chrisc
red hodges
red hodges

Postby jacobwilliam on Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:09 pm

Thanks for this! I’ve been in recovery for some time now and this has been a suggestion. I have not followed the suggestion. This is a healthy reminder and good bank of information.
jacobwilliam
bobcat
bobcat

Postby Dave N. on Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:00 pm

Headspace got me through a rough year. I no longer subscribe, but I still run through the exercises when tensions run high. I should probably do it daily. I recommend it for anyone wanting to do guided meditation. Not sure if it’s considered “McMindfulness”, but I found it very helpful.
Dave N.
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Next

Return to General Discussion