home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

PRF Monthly Tribute Series 45: The Smiths

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

PRF Monthly Tribute Series 45: The Smiths

Postby hench on Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:56 pm

march's tribute challenge comes to us from EVT:

the smiths

all submissions to be uploaded by end of night on sunday, april 1st.

we'll use the same bandcamp page as last month:
http://prfmonthlytributeseries.bandcamp.com

PRFTribute // Fever42!

let's rock, friends!
hench
Humankind's Greatest Musical Genius

Re: PRF Monthly Tribute Series 45: The Smiths

Postby hench on Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:31 am

started your smiths tribute yet? remember, these things take time...

smiths.jpg
hench

Postby hench on Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:55 am

fresh-lilaced moorland fields cannot hide the stolid stench of working on one's smiths tribute...

thesmiths.jpg
hench

Postby hench on Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:07 am

it's time to give the smiths a fair shake... all submissions to be uploaded by end of night on sunday, april 1st!

smiths.JPG
hench

Postby hench on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:47 am

voting closed! april tribute to be announced shortly...
Last edited by hench on Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
hench

Postby duskyamp on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:56 am

I'm good with words sometimes but not so much about music. I liked most of them. I liked these most of all:

The Finger Genius - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
The Latenighters - Still Ill
Shiiin with Calvin Fredrickson - Bigmouth Strikes Again

See y'all in Durham in a couple of weeks.
I design and build stuff for musicians at Dusky Electronics.
I play guitar in Woodvamp.
duskyamp
duke
duke

Postby Tommy on Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:02 pm

Pretty fun month! Was hard to vote, but I remembered to this time. A couple of over the top lounge versions were pretty inspired. Always loving hearing laughter in a song where the singer is barely holding it together. Man, the guitar player on Girl Afraid really nailed it. Holy shit. Kudos. Johnny Marr guitar parts are subtly difficult because it is all played so cleanly and flawlessly. Kind of incredible and totally underrated.

I managed to get people interested enough to do one this month, but I ran out of time to do the song I was going to do solo at home. I'm still going to do it at a later date since I learned most of it already and I promised it for the girlfriend (whoops).

Anyway, notes about ours: my band (which has been on hiatus) is a 3-piece with no vocals, so these are always kinda hard. This time I convinced my pal Cal from sewingneedle to sing on ours. And he was gracious enough to humor me. I was the ONLY one of us four familiar with The Smiths catalog, and none of the rest of them had ever even heard Bigmouth Strikes Again. We dumbed it down quite a bit, but I'm still pretty proud of it.
Tommy
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby wotown on Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:12 pm

Hooray! I have thoughts:

1. EVT - Half A Person. Gentle and resigned. I really like how all the elements from the original are there, but are reinterpreted.

2. The Finger Genius - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now. Digging this so much! The guitar crunch, the yelping backup vocals...

3. four o'clocker 2 - The Smith. Shambolic as always! Dig the riffs when they're on point, dig them when they devolve. Not surprised more than one of us thought of Mark E.

4. Oms en série - Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me. We've got some good-ass singers this month! Great key/string sounds.

5. Chris Rossi - There is a Light That Never Goes Out. Wow, this is really wringing all of the possible sadness out of this one. Lovely guitar/bass lines.

6. The Latenighters - Still Ill. Enyjoing the OMD vibe on this one!

7. Face Odyssey - How Soon is the End? Harsh AF!

8. Leonids - The Boy With the Thorn in His Side. These guys have a good chill, off-the-cuff vibe that doesn't lose anything from the original.

9. Leonids - There Is a Light That Never Goes Out. Glad you did a twofer! This one is even more charming.

10. Room 302 - Girl Afraid. I'm envious of this ability to replicate the Marr sound and arpeggios!

11. Doctor Coffee - Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now. I feel like it's 3am at the piano bar and the keyboardist can't decide whether he's being ironic.

12. Situations (featuring DJ Hostettler) - Shoplifters of the World Unite. This works great as a crunchy rocker!

13. Vince Whitacre - Ask Jeane. I feel like if D. Boon had lived another year this would have been on side 4 of the next Minutemen LP.

14. Shiiin with Calvin Fredrickson - Bigmouth Strikes Again. Tense and powerful. Also, congrats on making me enjoy my least favorite Smiths song!

15. Oms en série - I Know It's Over. This is such a lovely vocal arrangement, and it just keeps getting better as it goes.

16. Dead Man's Spelling - Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others. Oooh, dreary slowcore. That's a really tight arrangement.

17. Randy & The Eternities - The Smiths. Well done tears in my beer. I'm glad you're using the "tribute" to create stuff! Way to unlock the potential of these open-ended challenges.

18. Morris E. Smith & Your Grandma on Bongos - The Thorn-Sided Boy. Oops I did a piss take

19. hench - rubber ring. What's really cool is how much this sounds like the original but really is its own thing. Kudos as always on those perfectly crisp and balanced guitars!

20. Lemurrissey - Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before. Good riffage plus the detached vocals kind of remind of the Buggles!

21. The Five Mod Four - The End of a Perfect Day. I'm a huge fan of Kirsty MacColl so I picked out a favorite she'd written and recorded with Johnny Marr. FM The Finger Genius sent me drum tracks and after hearing the song once my wife laid down a vocal. I'm happy with it but wish I'd had more time/know-how to really nail the overall EQ and the 12-string guitars in particular.

My votes went to The Finger Genius "Heaven Knows," Oms en série "I Know It's Over" and Leonids "There Is a Light."
I play bass in Body Futures
I sing and play whatever's needed in The Five Mod Four
I rarely use Twitter
wotown
baboon
baboon

Postby numberthirty on Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:29 am

Lots of really great work this month. Votes now/Try to get around to the individual tunes later.

- Chris Rossi/"There Is A Light That Never Goes Out"
- Shiiin With Calvin Fredrickson/"Bigmouth Strikes Again"
- The Five Mod Four/"The End Of A Perfect Day"
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby Facundo on Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:28 am

good tunes, smiths guitar stuff is awesome, i prefer the cure for deppresive reasons, but both bands are good examples some day in the past pop music was not this current shitty hitty shits with the celemony melodyne putting shitty lyrics in sheets or the antares autotune adding extra shit for the hit.

Revivals are necessary, if not someday radio stations will force us to pay for that slimy and cold shit or the rapsta gangsta rappstar rappers will extort you in the portal with their dollar chicken rhymes and their water guns loaded with popper and a little bit of mdma.
Facundo
scalper
scalper

Return to General Discussion