home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

current DIY projects you are working on .. or planning on.

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: current DIY projects you are working on .. or planning o

Postby biscuitdough on Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:47 am

bassdriver wrote:
Evanc521 wrote:
benadrian wrote:
Evanc521 wrote:I think I've isolated the (or one... who knows...) problem. I just got a better DMM and redid my voltage chart. I have 219V on both P7 and P8 of V4 when I should have around 16.7 and 49.2 volts respectively. So back to checking the connections and the board.

Ooof. It sounds like you have B+ on you grid and cathode.

Miswiring or solder glob somewhere? Have you tried a different tube in that socket?

Let me know if there's any specific questions that you have.

I'm a stupid. I had miswired something on the bottom side of the board and because I couldn't see it I never knew it existed... Well the amp itself works, reverb and tremolo not quite yet, but hey, progress!

been there too, its troublesome.

it helps to check all connections before even powering up an amp for the first time. I usually start with all connections to ground using the continuity meter of the DMM. I do this with one side clipped to main ground, the other probe touching the parts directly. this helps to detect bad soldering joints. while I'm at it I check the orientation of diodes and the electrolytic caps.

then I follow the signal path with the continuity meter to make sure everything is attached the right way. I also double check the colours of the output transformer.

it also helps to measure every part before soldering it in, even if it's a kit and every part is labelled.

sorry if that's all too obvious, but it helped me to avoid faults that then take hours to figure out.

A lot of people move the shorter leads to the top of the board in order to avoid that problem and facilitate repair.
biscuitdough
Lode Star of the Twenty-First Century

Postby Dr Tony Balls on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:10 am

Building one of these:

but scaled down to about 45 Watts
I build effects and amps and do custom builds to order. Boom.
Site: http://ballseffects.com/
Dr Tony Balls
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby biscuitdough on Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:19 am

Dr. Balls, are you scaling down this circuit?

biscuitdough

Postby Dr Tony Balls on Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:09 am

biscuitdough wrote:Dr. Balls, are you scaling down this circuit?

Yup. 2xKT66 output. Also that trace is the PA version and ill be making a regular guitar amp version.
Dr Tony Balls
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby biscuitdough on Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:17 am

Feel free to post many demos of that, once completed.
biscuitdough

Postby TylerSavage on Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:05 pm

that's awesome - besides the considerations for the output tubes, is the circuit much different? Haven't gone through the two side by side.

I built a scaled down hiwatt last year and man..
TylerSavage
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby ldopa_chicago on Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:18 pm

TylerSavage wrote:I built a scaled down hiwatt last year and man..

Ooooooooh. Care to elaborate?
jimmy two hands wrote:Jam econo for fuck's sake.

I play guitar in Daddy's Boy
I played guitar in Fake Limbs and bass in Burn Permits.
ldopa_chicago
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Dr Tony Balls on Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:34 pm

TylerSavage wrote:that's awesome - besides the considerations for the output tubes, is the circuit much different? Haven't gone through the two side by side.

I built a scaled down hiwatt last year and man..

Nah, the circuit wont be much different, save for some adjustment to the negative feedback loop to get it right.
Dr Tony Balls
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby WeStartToDrift on Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:48 am

biscuitdough wrote:
bassdriver wrote:
Evanc521 wrote:
benadrian wrote:
Evanc521 wrote:I think I've isolated the (or one... who knows...) problem. I just got a better DMM and redid my voltage chart. I have 219V on both P7 and P8 of V4 when I should have around 16.7 and 49.2 volts respectively. So back to checking the connections and the board.

Ooof. It sounds like you have B+ on you grid and cathode.

Miswiring or solder glob somewhere? Have you tried a different tube in that socket?

Let me know if there's any specific questions that you have.

I'm a stupid. I had miswired something on the bottom side of the board and because I couldn't see it I never knew it existed... Well the amp itself works, reverb and tremolo not quite yet, but hey, progress!

been there too, its troublesome.

it helps to check all connections before even powering up an amp for the first time. I usually start with all connections to ground using the continuity meter of the DMM. I do this with one side clipped to main ground, the other probe touching the parts directly. this helps to detect bad soldering joints. while I'm at it I check the orientation of diodes and the electrolytic caps.

then I follow the signal path with the continuity meter to make sure everything is attached the right way. I also double check the colours of the output transformer.

it also helps to measure every part before soldering it in, even if it's a kit and every part is labelled.

sorry if that's all too obvious, but it helped me to avoid faults that then take hours to figure out.

A lot of people move the shorter leads to the top of the board in order to avoid that problem and facilitate repair.

I'll definitely do that on my next build. Thinking an OR120 or an 800.
WeStartToDrift
norse
norse

Postby Dr Tony Balls on Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:51 am

Evanc521 wrote:I'll definitely do that on my next build. Thinking an OR120 or an 800.

Feel free to pick my brain if you go with the Orange. Ive built a few at this point.
Dr Tony Balls
saw big cat
saw big cat

Postby Antero on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:49 pm

I really want to hear this KT66 beast when it's done.

TylerSavage wrote:made a magic the gathering themed guitar pedal box because someone on here slandered MTG.

wanted to make it look like it survived the apocalypse so I just rough cut most stuff and didn't pay much attention to anything. lesson learned, just make all your cuts/fillets nice and then distress stuff and sand well AFTER or the whole thing just looks like shit

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos ... 8550_o.jpg

woodburned this classic in the top

http://8e8460c4912582c4e519-11fcbfd88ed ... Terror.jpg

That is totally awesome. Old MTG art had some pretty cool images, back when they were all working off of nebulous generic mythological concepts and literary quotes rather than bad-fantasy-novel bullshit.
Is you crazy baby, I gots to grind
Antero
World's Greatest Lover
World's Greatest Lover

Postby TylerSavage on Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:36 am

ldopa_chicago wrote:
TylerSavage wrote:I built a scaled down hiwatt last year and man..

Ooooooooh. Care to elaborate?

it was actually just a kit so we can all enjoy it!

http://www.trinityamps.com/Product_Triwatt.htm

I can't seem to find the kit details on the site anymore, but someone on the forum just started a build so they must still be selling it. guy in ontario here put together a good set of components for a great price that I couldn't justify trying to do it myself... although I think their chassis layout was a bit iffy due to where the overdrive pot was and the spacing on one of the inputs.
TylerSavage
urinated in reservoir
urinated in reservoir

Postby japmn on Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:01 pm

So I have this little Kawai that I want to fix up.

and one of the main problems is it needs new tuners. It has a veneer of pickguard material over the keadstock that makes the headstock a little thicker than standard thickness and I am having a hard time finding tuners long enough to get through the headstock. It is about 5/8" thick, maybe a millimeter or so thicker. Ideas?

Also, how does a pickup usually mount to a guitar like this, it has several holes in the top where I can see where people in the past have randomly bolted shit to it, but I want it not to be shitty looking. something like a gretsch filteron pickup on it if I can.
japmn
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby ldopa_chicago on Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:43 am

A while ago I started a project to make a Dunlop M108 10 band eq pedal less noisy. My initial approach was just to replace the op amps (which are the very decent MC33179) with some hot-shit quiet ones. I made some gains in terms of noise floor reduction, but I wanted to dig deeper and see how good it could get.
I pulled the entire circuit into LTspice and started simulating and looking at noise sources. I ended up doing some minor redesign (within the confines of the layout) and changed out some components. I was able to get a serious noise floor reduction and a higher clip point. It's pretty ass-kicking right now and would be studio-worthy except for it having unbalanced I/O. Dynamic range is over 120 dB and distortion is ~0.05%.
Once I tweak a few things and do some mores testing/data collection I'll post my mods and analysis. 8)
jimmy two hands wrote:Jam econo for fuck's sake.

I play guitar in Daddy's Boy
I played guitar in Fake Limbs and bass in Burn Permits.
ldopa_chicago

Postby galanter on Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:56 pm

Making mods to a Korg MS-20 synth to add features like PWM, individual VCO outputs, VCO hard sync, a switch to turn off the ADSR as an input to the VCA…

I created a thread for this, although it's not looking like there is much interest…in any case links to the plans for the mods are here:

http://www.electricalaudio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=65035

(This is a warm up to a much larger project to build a modular synth from scratch…)
galanter

Postby bassdriver on Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:19 am

ldopa_chicago wrote:A while ago I started a project to make a Dunlop M108 10 band eq pedal less noisy. My initial approach was just to replace the op amps (which are the very decent MC33179) with some hot-shit quiet ones. I made some gains in terms of noise floor reduction, but I wanted to dig deeper and see how good it could get.
I pulled the entire circuit into LTspice and started simulating and looking at noise sources. I ended up doing some minor redesign (within the confines of the layout) and changed out some components. I was able to get a serious noise floor reduction and a higher clip point. It's pretty ass-kicking right now and would be studio-worthy except for it having unbalanced I/O. Dynamic range is over 120 dB and distortion is ~0.05%.
Once I tweak a few things and do some mores testing/data collection I'll post my mods and analysis. 8)

please do. this sounds great!
ImDADA wrote: Die Richtung ist die Chefetage.
bassdriver
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture
Master of Lit., Arts, & Architecture

Postby endofanera on Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:27 pm

galanter wrote:Making mods to a Korg MS-20 synth to add features like PWM, individual VCO outputs, VCO hard sync, a switch to turn off the ADSR as an input to the VCA…

I created a thread for this, although it's not looking like there is much interest…in any case links to the plans for the mods are here:

http://www.electricalaudio.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=65035

(This is a warm up to a much larger project to build a modular synth from scratch…)

I am looking forward to hearing of your progress on this.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
endofanera
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby numberthirty on Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:09 pm

While this is not exactly a "project", I thought some of you might get a chuckle out of this...

My younger brother loaned his Alesis HD24 to a friend to do some location recording. After he got it back, my brother asked if I could stop off at his place one afternoon to get it hooked back up to the preamps and the mixer so he could fit recording a cover for this month's tribute into the one evening he was going to have off.

I got over to his place double checked this microphones he had. Checked out fine. When I connected the preamps to the patchbay that the HD24's ins/outs are plugged into, zilch. Check mics again in the board. Fine.

Before I worked out that his friend had unplugged patchbay inputs 1-8 to run from the Octasonic to the HD24's inputs, I damn near flipped my wig. Plenty of noisy, near fit throwing. When his dog came in to try to get let outside, there was obviously a break in the fit throwing. Once that happened, I can very clearly hear that the guys fixing his neighbor's roof/gutters are cracking up.

Damn open window.

After letting the dog out, it occured to me to check the back of the patchbay...

:smt012

Everything is working just fine now.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby mmuchi on Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:46 am

Building a partscaster... first time.

Is anyone familiar with this company: http://www.elek-trix.com/
I ordinarily wouldn't be into something like this. I usually put more trust in brick an mortar traditional set-ups but the idea of being able to try out different configurations to really understand what sounds best with this particular set-up intrigues me.

As for the hardware etc. I'm looking at guitar fetish, warmoth, allparts, USCG... any other recommendations?

Advice on finishing/painting the beast?
mmuchi
envoy
envoy

Postby MattMaxVan on Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:28 pm

Technically, I "completed" the pedalboard- but now I'm revising it. I want to do some odd things with it. Now that I can spend money on it, having won my bet, I want to add clear silicon stops to hold pedals ( as opposed to bike links, or velcro ) and shielded lights, and expand the slots for wires to pass through.
Still looking to replace the top hat.

And, because life isn't complex enough, I want to construct a completely shielded channel switcher, to operate at least 3 amps, possibly more, without signal loss, or interference...
JAFO
MattMaxVan
total piece of shit
total piece of shit

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room