home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Little tech questions from your day

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Little tech questions from your day

Postby numberthirty on Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:21 pm

numberthirty wrote:Just spit balling this one since I haven't actually heard the issue.

Hiwatt DC40. Sent in for repairs because of a volume drop after fifteen or twenty minutes of playing time. Repair completed. When tested post-repair, the issue seems as bad. Potentially worse. Apparently(going by the description I was given), even cranking the master yields almost no volume increase.

Anyone ever ran into anything like this on a master volume amp?

An update on this front...

After the repair that seemed to iron the problem out, my brother mentioned dealing with the exact same issue.

The other day, he came by and mentioned that he had been using the second "Speaker Out" jack without issue.

After I said that bit of info probably narrows things down quite a bit, he agreed and we had a decent chuckle.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby scrotescape on Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:39 am

@japmn
Maybe ohm meter with rectifier out and ct floating:
Check for short on secondary and from pri to sec.
scrotescape
mayor
mayor

Postby hylje on Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:20 pm

Apparently the filter caps of my Traynor TS-50 are going bad. Is it a big operation to change them? I do have an electronics repair shop downstairs, so I probably won't even think about doing it myself. They are not amp repair guys, so there is that. Is there anything special one should know about changing them?
hylje
thomas paine
thomas paine

Postby biscuitdough on Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:51 pm

Most electronics have electrolytic caps in them, so they'll know about installing them with correct polarity and how to choose acceptable substitutes if the exact ones aren't available. You can ask them to use long-life caps instead of the basic models. It's only a few cents difference in cost.

Solid state amps often use electrolytics in places other than the power supply filters - many more than a tube amp would use. It may be a similar cost, or at least not astronomical, to have them simply replace all electrolytic caps in the amp, and clean and reflow all solder joints. They will all go bad eventually.
biscuitdough
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity
Saint Who Rules w/ Extensive Magnanimity

Postby hylje on Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:27 pm

Right! Thanks!
hylje
thomas paine
thomas paine

Postby Dr Tony Balls on Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:45 pm

File under: I am smart at some things and really dumb at other things....

I am borrowing a little M-Audio dual interface that has phantom power but only applies it globally to both channels (i.e. if its on for mic one, it's on for mic 2). If I have it on and connect a non-phantom mic (SM57) to the interface, will it fuck things up in some way? Will it work?
I build effects and amps and do custom builds to order. Boom.
Site: http://ballseffects.com/
Dr Tony Balls
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby Boombats on Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:48 pm

Dr Tony Balls wrote:File under: I am smart at some things and really dumb at other things....

I am borrowing a little M-Audio dual interface that has phantom power but only applies it globally to both channels (i.e. if its on for mic one, it's on for mic 2). If I have it on and connect a non-phantom mic (SM57) to the interface, will it fuck things up in some way? Will it work?

No you're fine as long as they aren't ribbon mics (some of which are ok with phantom anyway)
Boombats
Analingus Eggnog

Postby ldopa_chicago on Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:50 pm

Dr Tony Balls wrote:File under: I am smart at some things and really dumb at other things....

Dynamic mics don't give a shit about phantom- a 57 will be a-ok. Generally speaking though it's best to physically connect any mic with phantom off and turn phantom on with the mic(s) connected. Reverse the process when unplugging. Hot swapping is technically ok but the most stressful thing you can do to the system- avoid if possible.
jimmy two hands wrote:Jam econo for fuck's sake.

I play guitar in Daddy's Boy
I played guitar in Fake Limbs and bass in Burn Permits.
ldopa_chicago
Leader with Extraordinary Personality
Leader with Extraordinary Personality

Postby Dr Tony Balls on Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:59 pm

Thanks, yall!
I build effects and amps and do custom builds to order. Boom.
Site: http://ballseffects.com/
Dr Tony Balls
World War 11 Veteran
World War 11 Veteran

Postby bassdriver on Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:51 am

If I wanted to balance the output of a Studer 169 channel strip, can I just get a simple 1:1 line transformer such as the monacor LTR-110

https://www.monacor.de/produkte/beschal ... g/ltr-110/

or something like a Edcor WSM600/600?

would that work or would I need to add a circuit to drive an OT? there’s some talk about this on Gearslutz, but mostly about a balanced direct out pre fader,
while I would balance the signal post fader.
ImDADA wrote: Die Richtung ist die Chefetage.
bassdriver
Eternal Bosom of Hot Love

Postby Adam P on Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:24 pm

I would think a simple 1:1 transformer should work. The transformer primary should present the same load as it would see without the transformer.

If you wanted to be super-simple about it you could impedance-balance.
Adam P
not wearing any pants
not wearing any pants

Postby bassdriver on Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:12 pm

Adam P wrote:I would think a simple 1:1 transformer should work. The transformer primary should present the same load as it would see without the transformer.

thanks. haven't thought of impedance balancing it, but that would of course be the cheapest version. I'll try that!
bassdriver

Postby Nate Dort on Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:15 pm

bassdriver wrote:
Adam P wrote:I would think a simple 1:1 transformer should work. The transformer primary should present the same load as it would see without the transformer.

thanks. haven't thought of impedance balancing it, but that would of course be the cheapest version. I'll try that!

Is there a reason you need to balance it at all? Is it a long run or something?
Nate Dort
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby bassdriver on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:28 pm

Nate Dort wrote:
bassdriver wrote:

Is there a reason you need to balance it at all? Is it a long run or something?

Not really, I guess. Thing is, I sold my racked Studer 900 stereo channel and now the buyer asked if I would rack some 169 channels for him. Including XLR connectors and balancing. He runs a mobile studio, so I assume there will not be any long cable runs from preamps to the interface.

In case he agrees on unbalanced XLR outputs, would I simply connect pin 3 to ground?
bassdriver

Postby TomWanderer on Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:29 pm

I've got an MXR Commande series phaser that needs an ac adapter solution. It has the 1/8" plug style input for the supply and I see you can get a handy little 1/8" converter to put at the end of a standard power supply...I'm just wondering if anyone knows if the tip is supposed to be positive or negative on the MXR Commande stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
TomWanderer
johnny cash
johnny cash

Postby Tommy on Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:43 pm

TomWanderer wrote:I've got an MXR Commande series phaser that needs an ac adapter solution. It has the 1/8" plug style input for the supply and I see you can get a handy little 1/8" converter to put at the end of a standard power supply...I'm just wondering if anyone knows if the tip is supposed to be positive or negative on the MXR Commande stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The regular MXR stuff that used 1/8" (and Proco Rat, EHX, etc.) is tip positive, so I'd guess tip positive.
Tommy
Guardian Diety of the Planet

Postby W.L.Weller on Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:51 pm

Yeah the picture I just saw on a Reverb listing seems to indicate tip positive. Can you double check against the battery wiring? Or are these adapter-only?
W.L.Weller
pauly shore
pauly shore

Postby Tommy on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:09 pm

W.L.Weller wrote:Yeah the picture I just saw on a Reverb listing seems to indicate tip positive. Can you double check against the battery wiring? Or are these adapter-only?

They take a battery, but I probably wouldn't risk opening one of these up. They're an all plastic design and the PCB is mounted with the solder side of the board out.
Tommy

Postby TomWanderer on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:40 pm

Thanks for the info guys! Yeah, duh, I guess I could have just looked inside. Last time I opened it up I found that one of the legs of the switch had an iffy solder connection...as I was trying to reflow the solder a good half inch of trace just disintegrated off the PCB. I have only tried a few phasers in my life, but honestly this is the best sounding one I have used so I got out some wire, followed where the trace would have been and used 3 or 4 short lengths of wire to complete the circuit again. So now I've got a (partially) hand wired plastic phaser...
TomWanderer
johnny cash
johnny cash

Postby Tommy on Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:05 am

TomWanderer wrote:I have only tried a few phasers in my life, but honestly this is the best sounding one I have used.

For the record, the flanger in this series is really great sounding as well (I actually haven't used the phaser). Noisy, but I really like the jet aspect the noise brings. I just remember the footswitch being one of the most temperamental I've had the pleasure of cussing at.

I always suspected the phaser was just a Phase 90 with a feedback knob. The Flanger sounds a little different than the Micro Flanger from the standard series.

Also, just saw this: https://reverb.com/item/5982039-re-housed-mxr-commande-series-phaser-excellent-condition?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlo6Qgtfy3wIVTLjACh3SmwDrEAQYAiABEgKOlfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1
Tommy

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room