home studios equipment staff/friends booking/rates for sale forum contact

Micro-reviews of gear you just bought.

All your geeky questions about electronics, microphones, tape machines, etc.

Moderators: kerble, Electrical-Staff

Re: Micro-reviews of gear you just bought.

Postby free meat on Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:57 am

Boss Space Echo

I don't know what I was expecting when I plugged this in, but I remember feeling a bit underwhelmed by it initially. Wasn't as crazy or weird as I thought it would be, maybe. A lot of the modes seemed fairly similar, too.

And then two hours later I was still playing it. I went from walls of noise to loopy plingypongy rubbish to weird galactic dinner jazz to just anything my idiotic mind fell into. This thing is great. Sounds pretty warm and analogue when it's anything but and the controls and sounds you can get out of it are really intuitive and musical. Had me constantly mucking around in ways I'd usually avoid just to see how it sounded, and the most fun I've had playing guitar in ages.

Looking forward to trying it with keyboard and vocals.
free meat
lil' ottowa fanny
lil' ottowa fanny

Postby garthplinko on Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:23 am

Is this an original tape version or the pedal-version that unfortunately shares the same name as a great microphone?
garthplinko
World's Ideal Leader w/ VersatileTalents

Postby TomWanderer on Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:52 am

TC Electronic June-60 Chorus

3 modes which are achieved by pressing either of two push buttons or both at once. Nothing is adjustable, just the push buttons. Stereo and mono output mode, we only used mono.

My wife wanted to try this on guitar for band practice and when she first engaged it I wasn't really sold and I don't think she was either. I feel like chorus is one of those effects that is too often used to evoke something specific or nostalgic rather than add to an already interesting sound. Once we started rehearsing it began to fit. And after a bit I was totally into it. It is a very clean, present, crystal sound. I think there's a little boost in the mids. She was shifting the buttons, so I'm not sure which setting was best (but it won't be hard to figure, only 3 to choose from). I appreciated the way the original signal is still totally clear, almost sounding even more clear through the effect, with a modulation that was strong enough to notice but subtle enough to be pleasant in the context of the full band rather than sounding like a cheesy novelty. The modulation definitely added something to the overall band sound and it played very nicely with the combo organ player's stuff. It was hard to tell which of them was doing what at some points.

So...$42 for an all-analog chorus that is incredibly easy to set up and sounds good. I'm happy and I would recommend.
TomWanderer
bobby fischer
bobby fischer

Postby free meat on Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:15 am

garthplinko wrote:Is this an original tape version or the pedal-version that unfortunately shares the same name as a great microphone?

Digital pedal one.
free meat
lil' ottowa fanny
lil' ottowa fanny

Postby Tommy on Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:25 pm

I bought a Musitronics (Mu-Tron) Phasor II clone from a maker on Reverb (Upforgrabsfx).

I've owned two originals and sold both because they were so huge/valuable and wasn't using them much. I've always really loved the sound though. For reference the Phasor II is basically one half of the stupidly expensive Bi-Phase. I saw this tiny clone for $110 and since it looked like a tidy/neat build I figured I'd give it a shot. It's 95% there! I'd call that a win. What's the 5% that's missing? The originals go a little deeper at max depth and feedback settings and the LFO waveform is very slightly different. Looks like he raised the price $10 after my order but I'd recommend it. FM endofanera might want to check it out.
Tommy
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby garthplinko on Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:56 pm

free meat wrote:
garthplinko wrote:Is this an original tape version or the pedal-version that unfortunately shares the same name as a great microphone?

Digital pedal one.

This is good to hear. I asked a few friends about them and they kinda gave it thumbs down, but these folks are owners of RE-201 (and in some cases owning more than one).

I probably need to just try one out.
garthplinko

Postby TylerSavage on Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:33 pm

I've got an El Capistan - a buddy a/b'ed it with an RE-201. Later my friend came back with one less RE-201.
TylerSavage
cool kid
cool kid

Postby Tommy on Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:55 pm

TylerSavage wrote:I've got an El Capistan - a buddy a/b'ed it with an RE-201. Later my friend came back with one less RE-201.

Can also recommend that one. I've gone through a shitload of delay pedals, both analog and digital. I randomly got an El Capistan in trade a few years ago and it's still my main pedal. Having said that, I don't really use it for sound on sound loops...

Still, I'd try out an RE-201.
Tommy
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby TylerSavage on Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:15 pm

Totally
TylerSavage
cool kid
cool kid

Postby numberthirty on Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:01 am

garthplinko wrote:
free meat wrote:

Digital pedal one.

This is good to hear. I asked a few friends about them and they kinda gave it thumbs down, but these folks are owners of RE-201 (and in some cases owning more than one).

I probably need to just try one out.

Garth -

Was one of those friends Pepper!?

For some reason, it seems like he might have had one in his live setup for a bit(well, it seems that way in my memory...)
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby numberthirty on Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:04 am

One other thing about "Pedal" options...

It seems like the Strymon Volante was designed by little kids with almost zero supervision and not adults designing with profit in mind.
154 wrote:Are you in Voivod or something?
numberthirty
King Shit of Fuck Mountain

Postby garthplinko on Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:45 am

numberthirty wrote:Garth -

Was one of those friends Pepper!?

For some reason, it seems like he might have had one in his live setup for a bit(well, it seems that way in my memory...)

Nah it was Jason from Goddard.
garthplinko

Postby japmn on Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:06 am

Just got a pair of Fluid Audio FX80 monitors. Less than $500. Sound pretty good. Lots of highs, lots of lows. Concentric. Seem to be well made. I like them so far.
japmn
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity
Power Incarnate with Endless Creativity

Postby ldopa_chicago on Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:13 am

I really like the Keeley Omni reverb pedal I got. I have yet to find a setting I don't like. Easy to dial in, great-sounding, straight-forward reverb. I've been using it on guitar and pedal steel (in the effects loop of a 400rb) and it's exactly what I wanted.
jimmy two hands wrote:Jam econo for fuck's sake.

I play guitar in Daddy's Boy
I played guitar in Fake Limbs and bass in Burn Permits.
ldopa_chicago
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness
Perfect Picture of Wisdom and Boldness

Postby Major on Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:20 pm

I used to own the Space Echo pedal (and a couple of real ones for that matter) and can confirm it sounds GREAT. I currently use an El Capistan but have considered going back to the Boss. It sounds fantastic, and I've A/B'd it with an actual 201 and 301.
Major
Heaven-Sent Hero
Heaven-Sent Hero

Postby twelvepoint on Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:06 pm

THe best echo I've had was when my Space Echo 150 needed adjustment and the tape would slip between the pinch roller and capstan and wouldn't feed consistently. WOW, that sounded cool, although it was a bit of a one trick pony. I eventually "fixed" it.
twelvepoint
has seen it all
has seen it all

Postby garthplinko on Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:25 pm

Major wrote:I used to own the Space Echo pedal (and a couple of real ones for that matter) and can confirm it sounds GREAT. I currently use an El Capistan but have considered going back to the Boss. It sounds fantastic, and I've A/B'd it with an actual 201 and 301.

See this actually makes sense. Of course someone with the "real deal" is going to say theirs is better - and maybe it is - but is it 90% there? 95%? That last 5-10% may mean a lot more to them than it does to me. This isn't a slight on Jason at all, other folks have said this too - people I did sound for or gear-nerded with them when I saw one sitting on their stacks at shows, etc.
garthplinko

Postby endofanera on Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:07 am

garthplinko wrote:
Major wrote:I used to own the Space Echo pedal (and a couple of real ones for that matter) and can confirm it sounds GREAT. I currently use an El Capistan but have considered going back to the Boss. It sounds fantastic, and I've A/B'd it with an actual 201 and 301.

See this actually makes sense. Of course someone with the "real deal" is going to say theirs is better - and maybe it is - but is it 90% there? 95%? That last 5-10% may mean a lot more to them than it does to me. This isn't a slight on Jason at all, other folks have said this too - people I did sound for or gear-nerded with them when I saw one sitting on their stacks at shows, etc.

I've had a couple Space Echoes (real deal), but even given all the coolness I ended up selling my last Space Echo about a year ago, maybe two. I actually found that dialing in the sound and relying on it to play nice with my other pedals was often a bridge too far.

I currently just use a DL-4, but I would happily add a Boss pedal version to my arsenal if I was looking for another option. I have been satisfied with all the Boss analog and digital delays I have owned, played through, or heard. Solid choices always.
"You get a kink in your neck looking up at people or down at people. But when you look straight across, there's no kinks."
--Mike Watt
endofanera
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge
Man with Encyclopedic Knowledge

Postby PEPPER! on Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:08 pm

I played the digital space echo for years. loved it but the always-on preamp sounded great with some guitars and crappy with others. it eventually got too noisy for me to use. it took me a long time to get sounds I liked as much from an el capistan but it’s outlived everything else on my pedal board and it sounds as good as the day I got it. when I was working in the guitar store the used strymon stuff always worked. I got a volante before I stopped working there and it’s terrifying ... some really awesome sounds but it will take a lot more dicking around with it before I feel like I actually know how to use it.
PEPPER!
Master Of The Computer
Master Of The Computer

Postby llllllllllllllllllllllll on Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:43 pm

Does the digital Space Echo have a function where it gets louder when you turn on the pedal? The E Capistan had something like that but it wasn’t that much of a boost.
llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

dvockins wrote:Gold hardware means you are number one.
llllllllllllllllllllllll
Guardian Diety of the Planet
Guardian Diety of the Planet

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Room